Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Ok realpost. I'm looking for a show with the cinematography and directing of bakemonogatari, minus the pedophilia.

I've seen tatami galaxay.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Have there been any recent good (I'm not sure how to describe them) Gambler/Strategy duel type animes? I'm basically talking about stuff in the same vein as Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, and Liar Game. And while not being exactly the same I guess Death Note qualifies as well.

No Game No Life might qualify, if you don't mind the overall tone being super upbeat rather than serious.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Extremely good, but also a pretty massive time investment. It's also very focused on politics over action.

quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Very overrated imo. Also really emotionally draining/depressing.

quote:

Code Geass

It's pretty good, I'd definitely say watch it seeing what else you like.

quote:

One Piece (often recommended because I love Naruto, watched a few eps to the first boss fight, liked it enough, but didn't feel the pull to continue)

I'd very much recommend reading the manga rather than watch the anime. I had the same problem with the anime

quote:

Bleach (watched a few eps, but couldn't get into it)

It only goes downhill massively from the beginning, so if you didn't like it then, you won't like it later.

quote:

tengen toppa gurren lagann (watched 1-2 few eps, couldn't get into it)

TTGL keeps getting more and more intense as it goes. It also starts out a good bit different than it ends up, so I'd definitely recommend giving it another chance.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Flying Wi-

Nevermind, I think you've got the idea already.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Golden Time is a really good one, and it's written by the same person who wrote Toradora.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Colonel posted:

flcl is awesome, definitely watch it

This one. And make sure you watch the dub.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Parallax posted:

are there any good yakuza animes

Kaiji is good, and has a good amount of Yakuza stuff.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Linnaeus posted:

I'm looking for an anime with a great main character duo. The characters are cool on their own but the show gets really good whenever they're on screen interacting with each other. Some examples would be sousuke & chidori, isaac & miria, kurisu & okabe, and gon & killua. Basically, two characters with an interesting relationship that's fun to watch.

Spice and Wolf and Toradora are pretty good for that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Looking for two types of shows.

1. Series with a good Parent/Child dynamic. (I've seen Usagi drop)

2. Fantasy anime that doesn't star kids/teens.

What do you mean by fantasy exactly in this case? Like any magic at all is fine, or specifically knights and wizards and everything?

If it's the latter, I think I remember Madan no Ou to Vanadis being pretty good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Any kind of fantasy setting is fine. Vanadis looks alright.

Otome Youkai Zakuro is also pretty good. That takes place in a sort of alternate Meiji era.

The Devil is a Part Timer is also really good, but that's modern Japan with some people from a fantasy world.

Spice and Wolf is also great if you don't mind the setting being really low magic and the main character being just a regular merchant.

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita is technically sci-fi, but really closer to fantasy.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 4, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fezball posted:

B Gata H Kei

and while I haven't seen it myself Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt has a reputation for being both exceedingly dirty and funny.

Seconding PSG, hilarious and absolutely filthy.
Puni Puni Poemy is also really short with its all of two episodes, but it's pretty great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch the dub for PSG, because it's even filthier. :allears:.

Apparently that was actually one of the conditions for licensing it.

Repent, Motherfucker!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

What? How? I have to check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4s0mMD5xQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwXvWDqOaE

It's pretty great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.
KonoSuba is excellent if you like really fun fantasy anime, or if you like Re:Zero when you watch that first because Re:Zero is really good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if there's any good stuff focused on suicide or depression (either dealing with suicidal thoughts or the aftermath of losing someone else from it)

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK)

ReLife has a bit of that in it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I honestly don't really like Euphonium so far and am mostly watching it for the insanely good animation. This might be because it reminds me of how insufferable the band nerds were at my high school though, so feel free to ignore my opinion.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

My understanding of the situation is that the re:zero anime was incredibly popular, meaning there's a lot of demand for a second season, but the first season actually cut a ton of content. Content that wasn't very important to the material covered in season 1, but is absolutely critical to a potential season 2, which makes the prospect of a second season actually being made somewhat difficult.

Someone else please feel free to correct me on whatever inaccuracies

I thought people were saying it generally followed the LNs pretty closely (though not the WNs), with a few minor things that could easily be moved around/dropped cut out. The main thing about it is apparently this first season was in production for like a year and a half or something in order to carefully pull off what they did, so season two might take a while...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

To get this thread a bit more on topic: what are some good animes that are packed full of really intense emotion? Something along the lines of gundam thunderbolt, the king arc of hunter x hunter, or attack on titan? Like, an anime that hits you in the face with a sledgehammer of raw emotion every episode? I'm not 100% sure how articulate it better than that but something along the lines of the shows I mentioned

Watch TTGL if you haven't already, a ton of emotion all over the place in every direction in that one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Ok, I've binged 12 eps of Hunter x Hunter and it's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's enjoyable, and I really like the characters, but there's too much wasted time with the arcs. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got what I hate most about Naruto/DBZ/Bleach, where stories that could be told in one episode are stretched across three, and the story/humor aren't good enough to make up for it.

I need something a bit more... out there.

Is exactly what I don't want to watch.

Just man up and watch Gintama already. It's literally exactly what you're looking for.

Failing at that, Beelzebub is pretty good.

E: Also note that the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z are two entirely different things.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 14, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

Gakkou Gurashi gets really bleak really fast.
Evangelion, assuming you haven't seen it
Death Note
Magical Girl Raising Project if you want something recent

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You'd probably really like Re:Zero, though I'll also second/third watching the really good Gainax shows.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

someone a little while ago in this thread suggested kaiji to me and i tried episode 1 a little while ago and despite requiring sleep i ended up watching the next 5 episodes without stopping

the pacing's a little slow but i'm really digging the music and silly stylized art.

Kaiji is the only show where an episode can literally be just taking like one step forward and saying one line and you'll still be staring intensely at the screen the whole time. I don't think I've ever seen anything else master dramatic tension like that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wasn't the joke that he looked really weird/creepy, but was actually just a nice and normal guy?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GiantDutchman posted:

I've come back to watching anime after not for some 10-15 years. A lot of what I click on is often not memorable and I'll try to watch it again some months later. Things I've liked are Attack on Titan, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and Seven Deadly Sins. Things I remover enjoying from before are Record of the Lodoess War, Ushio and Tora, Kimagure Orange Road, Bubblegum Crisis, Riding Bean, Heroic Legend of Areslan, Ninja Scroll, and others. Are there any shows now that have that older style? The boobs in the new ones have gotten quite ridiculous. Thanks

If you haven't checked out the Jojo anime yet, that would probably be a good idea.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

is steins/gate a good anime? it's up on the 'flix

Yes, as long as you like intricate if a little dumb time travel and/or conspiracy plots (protip: everyone does).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

asking for a friend: what are some good animes that are depressing, but in a fantastical kind of way? like, she likes neon genesis evangelion and madoka magicka, but not something as "real" as gundam thunderbolt? if that makes sense? she also really likes terror in resonance, if that helps.

i'm drawing a blank for recommendations so i thought that maybe the fine anime experts here at Something Awful might be more knowledgeable than i

a 12 episode anime would be ideal

Gakkou Gurashi should be pretty good for that, if you tell them to make sure to finish the first episode.

I'll also second Penguindrum as a show that manages to both be super dark/depressing, yet bizarrely cheerful and upbeat at the same time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kytrarewn posted:

If I were to put Gatchaman, Punch Line and Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda in a box, what other shows could fit in the same box?

I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, except that I really like all of the above (I'm only partially through Zvezda presently) and they sort of share a certain atmospheric something.

Any suggestions?

The atmosphere I think you're looking for is "Really stupid, but at the same time fun as hell and legitimately engaging."
To that end, I'd throw in Concrete Revolutio, Steins;Gate, No Game No Life, and Angel Beats.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Is the manga better than the movie? Because I remember watching that and being generally unimpressed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

Chihayafuru is legit one of my favourite things, and the only sports manga/anime I would ever recommend.

Hello fellow lover of Chihayafuru and hater of all other sports anime! Make sure not to let them trick you into watching Haikyuu!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Srice posted:

It's odd to single out Chihayafuru as the only good sports anime. A lot of it plays out in line with traditions of the genre, it just happens to be a very solid execution of said traditions.

For one, I thought Chihayafuru plays out more like a shoujo anime than a sports anime.
For two, other sports anime never seems to really capture what I like about sports. They tend to just put some random sport in, maybe do some research into it, and say "well that should be good enough." Chihayafuru actually managed to capture that feeling. As opposed to most sports anime that, to me, feel like watching a less interesting shounen battle anime, it brought back memories of being out on the mat wrestling. It's similar to the reason why I think Remember the Titans was trash but that The Blindside and The Longest Yard were both excellent.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 17, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Note that it does take a few eps establishing the weird sci-fi setting before getting into the horror part.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excel Saga is what you want then.

But Excel Saga was digital. I remember because they made a joke about it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Don't watch Chaika, or if you do, remember to skip the last episode to save yourself. Also the Mob Psycho anime looks absolutely fantastic visually. It's one of the show's main strengths.

I'd also throw in Samurai Champloo, KonoSuba, Katanagatari, and FLCL if you haven't seen them already.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Aumanor posted:

Off the top of my head, I've seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Madoka Magica, FMA:Brotherhood, Fate/Zero, UBW, Death Note way back when.As for what exactly I'm looking for, I'm not certain myself.

Neon Genesis Evangeline, Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, and Kaiji all seem like they'd fit in with that list.

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but you could also try Mawaru Penguindrum. It has some of the same things in common with those, mainly being hosed up and also really intense.

E:

Paracelsus posted:

If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, that should be at the top of the list.

This too.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 17, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eela6 posted:

How do I get into Mecha stuff?

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

Probably not. Gundam is almost all trash, and even good Gundam isn't usually all that good. Though I guess you could try Turn-A if you're going to watch a Gundam since that's "the good one"

E: Code Geass sounds like something you'd like.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 18, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'm disturbed that something like "Gochuumon wa usagi desu ka" was ranked above LoGH and Evangelion.

But that's correct...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa

Seconding this. Power through the horror.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita/Humanity Has Declined is a good, funny show about the cutest post-apocalypse ever.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking as someone who loved:

Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, From The New World, Genshiken, Death Parade, His and Her Circumstances, Slayers, Samurai Flamenco, Ergo Proxy, Bebop, Utena, RahXephon, Kemonozume, Orange and the original series of Kino's Journey.

and who was bored by:

Flip Flappers, Kiznavier, the first few JoJo episodes, Gantz, Durarara!, Erased (after a decent start), Speed Grapher, Desert Punk, The House Of Five Leaves. Blood Blockade Battlefront

would I like:

- Ninja Scroll
- Kaiji
- Ruroni Kenshin
- Love Hina
- Excel Saga
- Noir
- Last Exile
- sticking with JoJo
- Hellsing
- Urusei Yatsura

(Additionally, is there anything you'd recommend me? I like solid dramatic stakes, interesting direction, atmospheric stories, and comedy based in characterisation, though I'll settle for theatre of the absurd if it's trying to say something. I dislike stories that lack a human interest, or that are enamoured with kitsch. Oh, and I love anime's fascination with super big apocalypse finales.)

FLCL and Mawaru Penguindrum both seem right up your alley. FLCL is made by the same studio as Eva and Gurren Lagann, and has a lot of the better elements of both of those show, condensed down to 6 episodes. Penguindrum is a show by the guy who made Utena, and starts as a sort of light comedy, but with a hint of creeping darkness, until the entire facade of light-heartedness collapses away piece by piece.

From your list, you'll almost definitely really like Kaiji, which is pretty much the instant before you pull the trigger in a game of Russian Roulette crystallized and made into an anime.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hipsteresque posted:

Are there any good comedic or lighthearted shows like Konosuba or The Devil is a Part-Timer that came out in the past few years I should watch?

Did you watch Osomatsu-san yet?