Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I asked in the discussion thread, but it might be more suited here. Can anyone recommend movies or shows that make good use of a 5.1 audio system? I cobbled one together to go with the broken 55" TV I salvaged and repaired and even though it's real basic it sounds insanely good compared to the TV speakers I'm used to, and I want to put it through its paces. I saw Redline for the first time with it and it was awesome as gently caress, and I'm starting to go through the Evangelion rebuilds again which sound really cool with all the background stuff going on in NERV HQ, on top of the battles themselves.

I think Planetes has a decent surround mix and while I liked it I only saw the first episode or two, so that's on the list for when the holidays start. Apparently the anniversary Bluray of Akira has one of the best mixes out there period, but I watched it pretty recently so I can hold off on that one for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been following MAL recommendations and went through Sakura Quest, ReLIFE and Net-juu no Susume over the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed them all and want to check out similar shows with main characters that are working and/or adults, preferably if they're awkward, adorable and hilarious; Moriko Morioka constantly had me busting a gut from how much of a relatable mess she is. If there are important scenes that take place in a convenience store I will probably check it out, especially if it's a bootleg Lawson.

I've watched Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, Hanasaku Iroha and After the Rain last year, which is what got me into the "genre".

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I probably should have mentioned that I saw Shirobako a couple years ago which I liked, and I can't wait for the movie to get localized. I enjoyed Hanasaku Iroha the most out of the three, although that's probably because I like rural Japan as a setting, the art style, and the Mari Okada factor. I'll take a look at some of the other recommendations though, thanks.

Nipponophile posted:

Maybe check out Planetes? It's sci-fi, but pretty grounded in that the main characters are just going through the motions of their everyday jobs (as garbage collectors).

I've actually had that queued up ever since I picked up a sound system since it has a 5.1 mix, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Servant x Service is so good. Lucy's ahoge is my favorite character.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Already seen all of what's been released and liked it, although I don't like how some things turned out in the latest season in an effort to return everything to the status quo. I can understand Retsuko having enough of the idol life after dealing with a stalker, but the whole Haida and Inui story rubbed me the wrong way with how it ended up. Retsuko already said no dude, move on.

Watched a couple episodes of Denki Gai and it wasn't my thing. I think I'm gonna check out Watamote next.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just two episodes in and so far I'm liking it. I'm certainly relating to it from how I used to be an even shittier person than I am now before I made a concerted effort to improve myself through various means and stop agonizing so much about what other people think of me. I can't wait to see how she deals with her own personality problems and how self-aware she gets. Wouldn't surprise me if the poor girl has some sort of anxiety disorder. If I end up enjoying the whole thing I'll definitely have to follow the manga if it follows her into adulthood.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I see people describing it as cringey but I don't get that feeling. Maybe it's because I'm older but she's just a dumb teenager like most of us were and I'm finding it hilarious more than anything else. Her poor dad walking in on her passed out with her new acquisitions from the store made me bust a gut.

If she stayed lovely then I probably wouldn't like it, but from what you're all telling me she's going to develop and mature which is what I'm looking forward to.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Being a weirdo is fine and entertaining even, I'm more looking forward to seeing her realize how self-destructive her antisocial behaviour and thought patterns are and how she handles it. The setup has been pretty good so far, although I have a feeling I'm gonna be disappointed again with another good show being only 13 or so episodes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, it did that thing I'm seeing in a lot of shows lately where it just... ended. Nothing at all changed, she hasn't learned anything, and she's essentially the exact same person she was in the beginning which was kind of disappointing because as a character she's super interesting. It seemed like it was starting to go somewhere with her senior but it ended with a fanservice gag and roll credits.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Still, thanks for the recommendation for the Watamote anime because it got me to pick up the manga and I love it. Just a couple volumes before I'm caught up but I don't want to finish it because I'll be sad that I have to wait for more. It's the first thing I've read since I picked up Kaguya-sama before we knew that a second season was coming out. It's a shame that another season of Watamote is unlikely with how long it's been, it does get really, really good later on.

Maybe I just like characters that suck, but they suck in a way that I relate to.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Watamote is so good my non-anime watching friends are getting into it now. One of my friends is real worried about his newborn daughter turning out as socially maladjusted as he is so I keep sending him panels and clips of what to expect in fifteen years.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think that was in the Berserk thread about another series the creator was working on.

Made in Abyss has really good atmosphere, music, and environmental design, but it's really obvious what the author's specific fetishes are by how he lets it leak into his work. The animation staff is phenomenal (Kevin Penkin's soundtrack on Spotify is what got me to watch it in the first place, and I just discovered the art director is Osamu Masuyama, who also did the gorgeous backgrounds in other favorites of mine like Your Name) so it might be worth checking out to see if you can enjoy it in spite of what gets the author's rocks off.

While it's obvious it's not like it's sprayed absolutely everywhere throughout the show so you might be able to ignore it enough to enjoy the good parts of it. I heard the manga is even worse about it, but thankfully I have no desire to read it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If a movie is okay I absolutely loved Your Name for something along those lines. It's one of my favorite flicks, but that may be colored by the experience of watching it during a first class flight back from Japan where the flight attendants kept pouring wine and painkillers into me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The first bit of 2045 is rough but it goes back to feeling like SAC when the episodes focus on Japan again. I'd probably wait until the second season comes out before watching it though because the way it ends definitely makes it feel like a 24 episode series where they only released the first half.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I heard so much about Innocence being awful when it first came out but I watched it for the first time recently after seeing all the other GitS I could get my hands on and it didn't seem that bad at all. Watching all the other stuff first certainly helped temper my expectation, especially after seeing Arise.

I didn't think Arise was completely terrible like a lot of people do, but it's definitely the weakest continuity in the series.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is After the Rain worth looking at? It's wildly off from my usual watch of robots and thriller shows but the premise intrigues me.

Its one of the shows I picked up last year as I got more interested in more grounded premises with awkward characters and situations and I loved it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Droyer posted:

FMP mechs are like, twice the size of CG ones.

Yeah, in the books they're smaller but they upsized them for the anime to look cool. Still, they're interesting in how they're portrayed closer to modern mechanized infantry, so if that's your thing it's worth checking out. The tech that shows up as a result of the plot does change the game but it's still pretty grounded with the real world stuff. They treat the physics bending as the terrifying thing it is which makes the battles more interesting compared to Code Geass where everyone gets the overpowered mechs and the fights just aren't as fun to watch any more.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought Arise was its own thing and not an actual prequel to SAC.

I wanna know when the second half of 2045 is coming out since it ended right when it started feeling like the Complex episodes of SAC. The first couple episodes were a bit rough but when the dub came out it was a lot easier to follow. I feel the CGI would have also been better received if they just started off in Japan instead of the ugly-rear end American southwest. The forest scenery in Kyoto in the last couple episodes was real pretty, I thought.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Each season/movie/OVA of Slayers is a D&D campaign where everyone in the party is a dumb rear end in a top hat but in a good way and it's great.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Finally got around to watching Anohana and I enjoyed it a lot. Any other melodramas to suggest? Modernish setting preferred, Mari Okada a plus, and if it matches the change in season that'd be great. I watched Totadora around this time last year and it went well with the temperature starting to dip into the single digits.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Davincie posted:

someone else asked for melodrama last page

They also said they didn't like Anohana and Clannad, whereas I just finished the former and enjoyed it and really liked the latter when it came out.

IBO has been on my list for a while, although I might save it for winter if that's when it's set. I've only heard good things so I'm looking forward to it. I'll definitely check out those movies though, I really liked A Whisker Away when someone suggested that last year.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I loved Anthem of the Heart, thanks for the recommendation. I wanted Naruse and Tasaki to become an item but I wasn't expecting it to actually happen. The ending scene is the best.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just started IBO and it seems decent so far. I really like the mech fights since I haven't seen a single beam weapon yet, just regular guns and melee weapons so everything feels way meatier as they beat the poo poo out of each other and you see armor and parts getting smashed up. I'm hoping they don't pull a Code Geass and introduce them later to the detriment of the action scenes, but I know better than to expect that by now.

The world map is pretty funny, somehow Canada managed to annex Russia instead of allying with the United States.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

I can promise that doesn't happen.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Just got to the part where the get to Earth and that entire fight sequence was badass. I love how they show fists and weapons scraping along the surfaces of whatever they hit and showing all the damage being caused, it's really well done in this show.

Arc Hammer posted:

Scotiabank surviving the apocalypse and operating centuries in the future amuses me almost as much as Western Credit Union also surviving.

Wait, is there actually product placement for Canadian businesses because that's hilarious.

Ibblebibble posted:

This is how I felt seeing Jollibee in Hathaway.

Ahahahahah oh poo poo, that's awesome.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is Two Mix still around, I listened to a shitload of their music when I was a teen weeb because of Gundam Wing. White Reflection is still rad as heck.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Is Hanebado any good? I saw this amv, and seems pretty dope.

I don't typically watch sports shows but I enjoyed it a lot. The fantastic animation got me hooked, and I really like what they did with the protagonist's characterization as the series went on.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The bike tour chat has made me hungry for more life in the inaka shows. I'm almost done my yearly rewatch of Non Non Biyori so something new along the same lines would be nice. I've already seen Sakura Quest, which I also liked.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AnoHito posted:

Hanasaku Iroha, which is basically better Sakura Quest.

Crap, forgot to say I saw that too, and I completely agree.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Barakamon, Silver Spoon, Flying Witch, Hanasaku Iroha, Natsume's Book of Friends

Tamayura and Kamichu aren't quite inaka but they're both in small towns on the Seto inland sea and have a similar vibe to these

if non slice of life stuff is okay, Shiki is a very good horror series about rural life

Around halfway through Barakamon and it hasn't really clicked with me yet, but I like it enough to finish it. Eating episodes every couple of days so far.

On episode 2 of Silver Spoon and it is fantastic. I think I skipped it in the past because I was given a poor description of it being harvest moon done by the FMA lady which was a pass for me. The trade school aspect and making sure you appreciate the food you eat is making me really like it.

It reminds me a lot of my time in sea cadet camps which were honestly regimented like a boarding school to learn a trade. Those 4am alarms and walks in the fog in the show make me feel so nostalgic since that's exactly what it was like for us if it was our turn to maintain boats, cook at the mess hall for everyone on base, and on top of that do extracurriculars like practicing with band and drill teams for Ceremony of the Flags in Victoria.

Showing all the hard work involved seems to be giving Hachiken (and the audience) an understanding about everything that goes into raising and caring for livestock. Those two things together is making him appreciate mealtimes much more which I reallyl like!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm enjoying Recorder and Backpack and want to check out some other shows like that which are based on dumb gags like that which work great as three minute shorts. Ryotaro Okiayu playing a large adult son makes me laugh way more than it should, and the rest of the cast has way more talent than I'd expect for a show like this.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there a show with gorgeous scenery and a sense of exploration and adventure in otherworldly environments like Made in Abyss that isn't Made in Abyss? I want to scratch that itch again and tried the first episode of the new season, and Jesus loving Christ.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just want something that's like exploring in a Myst game. The Abyss is basically D'ni and all the ages you visit combined so MiA would have been perfect. I was able to hold my nose for the first season and the movie, but apparently it was necessary to have season 2 open with a rape scene and showing Riko taking a dump was so important that they had to dedicate the end of the episode to it. If it just keeps going like that I dunno man. I dunno.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks everyone, gonna check those out sometime this week. Probably gonna start with Girls Last Tour.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Come to think of it Myst is also post-apocalypse, it's just the post-apocalypse of some other civilization that you stumbled across when you found Atrus' book.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wish Watamote got another season so we could see the part where Tomoko grows as a person.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've finally gotten good at Children of a Dead Earth and want to watch a spaceship show with that kind of feel with managing orbit positions and intercept windows that are seconds long. I dusted off my Starship Operators DVDs which is in the same ballpark as that kind of space warfare, so I'm wondering what else there is.

Putting 20 nukes and 40 flak missiles in a retrograde interception course so they're going so fast relative to the enemy fleet that CIWS can't do poo poo feels so satisfying.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sakurako's Investigation scratched a similar itch as In/Spectre did for a mystery anime, it's a shame that it's only one season and it stops right when it starts to have an overarching plot.

I started Natsume's Book of Friends shortly after the second season of In/Spectre ended and I enjoyed it for much of the same reasons. All the youkai in it are great.

boo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

I have a friend who's a big fan of submarine warfare type stuff, and I'm wondering if there's any shows with sub activity I can recommend to him?

He really loves the space submarine stuff from Yamato, and he's probably seen blue sub 6,so anything besides those two would work. Doesn't have to be scifi either.

Starship Operators scratches that itch for me.