Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have almost exclusively kept my anime related shenanigans to video games, but I think I want to finally put in the effort to look outside that platform for enjoyable cartoon adventures. This seems like the best place to ask for help in getting started, so I hope my questions dont come off as dumb or offensive. I dont really know where to even start since I had no idea just how much there was out there and how many genres were covered. I guess Im looking for something that would have comedy (dark or goofy, doesny matter), decent action scenes, and something that is really character driven. I also dont mind being hit in the feels if its a good sad story. Sci-fi and history related stuff is just a bonus. I would even watch anime based on video games if it isnt half bad (though I expect this to be as rare as good movies based on games).

If it helps I even have a small list of things Ive watched and loved! Most of it is from the 80s/90s because Im old. Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, My Neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies. Games wise I mostly enjoy playing the Nippon Ichi games, Neptunia (it handles taking itself not very seriously just the right amount), and the older Final Fantasy games. The Shin Megami Tensei series are by far my favorites, though this is probably a hard one to find anything similar to.

Even if its just pointing me in a general direction I would appreciate any and all help. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do I miss anything jumping straight to Brotherhood or is it just an updated version of the original? Also holy crap Galactic Heroes ran for 13 years, I feel kind of dumb for never hearing about it let alone having never watched it.

Any recommendations for movies? Its going to take a while to find and watch some of those since it appears most of them ran for quite a few years so I wouldnt mind breaking it up with something else.

e: Whats the general opinion on Berserk? Its the one my friend keeps pushing me to watch.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 8, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im trying to keep what Im watching down to 2 shows so its not going to be a big follow up, but I know you guys like being updated on your recommendations so here goes:

- FMA Brotherhood is really good, so thank you for this. The characters so far are really interesting. Also that whole Nina Tucker episode really got to me. :(
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is.. ok? I dont hate it but it doesnt have the same magic the original movie did.

Also watched Redline and that movie is totally my poo poo! So, thank you for all the recommendations. Ill periodically update here if you want, but Im going to stick with anything that has dubs first since I have a real hard time watching things with subs (I know this isnt normal but I find them very distracting).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Yeesh, what have I gotten myself into...

I just finished FMA Brotherhood and looked at the (long) list of stuff everyone here recommended to me and thought the same thing. Brotherhood was really really good though and well worth the time I sank into watching it. I hope that something else on the list hooks me in the same way.

Also, I found out there were Persona 4 and Neptunia shows and watched them both. They were awful and I loved every last awkward minute of them, please tell me there is more stupid fun stuff like this.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Redline recommendation I got here is why I came back to ask about more stuff to watch. That poo poo was awesome in every possible way.

What is the general opinion of upcoming 2017 animes? I didnt really like Berserk or Attack on Titan, and other than those Im not too in the know on what else is coming. Should I watch the old FLCL before the new one comes out?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It just occurred to me Im still only 1/4 through Legend of Galactic Heroes since you guys gave me the recommendation like... 9 months ago? Its really long and slow and I can only handle it in small bursts. But its been pretty good, especially considering its age.

Im in the mood for something with a good industrial or metal soundtrack. The show itself doesnt need to be mind blowingly good or anything, just acceptable is fine as long as the music is great.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

not at all, it's filled with tons of hosed up violence, language and deer abuse

Only time a gif has ever made me rush off to watch a show.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This thread has been dead for a while, but I still need recommendations since Im still just basically dipping my toes into this.

I finished FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Konosuba, and Mob Psycho 100. I also just got caught up on My Hero Academia, which is pretty awesome, so now Im looking for something else to watch in between episodes.

I know its a weird cross section of shows but Im hoping its enough to at least point me in another direction.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Sounds like you're really into shouen

Maybe give hunter x hunter a go

I think someone mentioned this to me once before and I totally forgot about it but yeah this looks right up my alley, thanks!

AnoHito posted:

You'll almost definitely like One Punch Man. It's pretty much Mob Psycho, but with superheroes.

Re:Zero might also be a good choice. It's the same trapped in a fantasy world setup as KonoSuba, but played seriously and with a lot more grim things happening.

I watched the first 2 episodes of OPM but got distracted (by FMA). It didnt seem terrible or anything but the pace felt awkward and I just kind of drifted away from it. Is that normal or did I just not get far enough into it?

Re:Zero is unavailable in my region due to licencing issues. :canada:

e: If Im looking for something a little more grown up/bloody would Hellsing or Parasyte be worth a go?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 13, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just want to update and thank everyone for their suggestions. Going back to finish OPM was totally worth it, that show is hilarious and very well done. Hellsing did end up being a little too edgy for me so I dropped it, but Parasyte is pretty good so far. As for Baccano, I think I just have zero interest in that time period because it just fell flat right off the bat and never went anywhere afterwards for me. Black Lagoon seems okay after 3 episodes, but I will probably put it on hold until Im done Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte since those 2 are grabbing most of my time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Cromartie High School is not recent, but in case you missed it, fix that.

I just finished watching this yesterday. The art looks really cheap and terrible but I honestly dont think they could have pulled off the humor they did using anything else. Watch anime Freddie Mercury.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

To whoever said to watch Hunter x Hunter, thank you. A bit of an up and down series but the highs more than made up for the lows. Like Gon absolutely destroying Pitou. :stonk:

So I think I want to change things up a bit. Whats a good happy show that is focused more on adults instead of kids/teenagers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Saint Young Men

Cant find this anywhere probably due to regional restrictions?

Nipponophile posted:

Servant x Service

Ill give this a go, looks like it doesnt take itself too seriously which is kind of what Im looking for.

Is sweetness & lightning worth watching? It shows up as recommended for me an awful lot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Seconding this. It's about a single dad learning better how to raise his young daughter through the magic of delicious cooking, basically. It's extremely adorable and heartwarming while also being about an adult going through life stuff.

If Im not a dad will I still get full enjoyment from this? If so this could be exactly what I was looking for.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If you pick One Punch Man just dont do what I did and stop after episode 2. Its crazy how fast that show goes from kind of boring to ludicrous speed.

Also give Mob Psycho a shot. Someone here recommended it to me a few months back and it was probably the best show of the bunch I ended up watching.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Supernatural stuff. Can be spooky, scary or goofy I dont care.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Knorth posted:

Mononoke - ghosts
From the New World - weird psychics + dread

Second one looks interesting.

Knorth posted:

Oh, the new Kitaro show is meant to be good for goofy ghosts and such

Gegege no Kitaro

This looks fun, Ill give it a shot first.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

One word: Orange.

a kitten posted:

Series:
Orange

This looks really good actually, thanks!

Anohana and Violet Evergarden look good too. Probably save them for later on since I cant handle too much sad all at once.

e: Oh poo poo I missed Your Name. Yeah Im gonna start with that since I never finished watching it my first attempt due to losing 2 family members the week before and already being an emotional wreck.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 11, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Julias posted:

Yeah, for movies you can't go wrong with A Silent Voice.

Oh no now I want to watch this too. :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thank you to the people that recommended Your Name and A Silent Voice. Watched one last night and the other this morning. They were both exactly what I needed. :3:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh, actually Ashita no Joe would be good. It's a boxing anime where the main character doesn't step into the ring for well over a season, and doesn't even enter professional boxing for over two seasons. It's really more of a character drama up to that point

Also has an amazing loving ending.

Any good anime with a strong female lead? Basically looking for an anime version of Ripley from the Alien movies.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

for varying definitions of "strong"

Psycho-Pass
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Promised Neverland
Jormungand

also check out Sayo Yamamoto's work in general

Psycho-Pass and Birdy the Mighty are probably the closest to Ellen Ripley in terms of "a professional adult woman in a violent line of work who has to push back against a corrupt or passive system in order to stand by her principles"

Thanks Ill give these a shot if I can find them available in my region. Birdy sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Not really related to my initial question but are TerraFormars or Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress any good? My brother wont shut up about them but he has questionable taste in shows so Im more willing to trust well versed internet strangers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

Kabaneri is alright if you just go into it expecting a b-grade action series with really good animation and a distinct setting, the actual plotting and characterization varies between serviceable and bad, but there's nothing offensively bad (or offensive in a political sense) in there so it doesn't really detract from the action.

Terraformars has a decent start but gets dull fairly quickly, and also a lot of the female characters have really bizarre sexual backstories for basically no reason because it's never actually relevant to the plot.

I could probably deal with Kabaneri then if I feel like Im in the mood for some mindless action. Shame about Terraformars, it sounds like a really interesting premise. :(

e:

Sharkopath posted:

I'd recommend Killing Bites over Terraformars

I looked into Killing Bites but something about it screamed "will get very gross with female characters at some point" and Id rather avoid that if at all possible.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 18, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I actually watched Alita today and yeah it kind of caught me off guard at how good it is. Is there an anime too or just manga? I cant imagine he crammed the whole thing into a single movie.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shows with cats. Give me all the cats. Cute cats, fat cats, kit kats I dont care.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

Currently airing cat roommate show Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. has you covered. Also consider Hey, Your Cat Ears are Showing! although episodes of it require a little more effort to get. It's what my av is from.

Ive been watching Cat Roommate and it is why Im requesting more cats.

Wark Say posted:

Just to get you started from the Crunchyroll collection:

Awesome, thanks Wark!

a kitten posted:

There are several cats in Azumanga Daioh

This looks kind of like Nichijou, which also had a cute cat, so I will watch it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

These shows are amazing you guys rule.

While looking for gifs from the shows/episodes I watched I came across this and I dont know what its from or the context but it made me laugh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

That's Little Busters. There is a good reason for that gif, even if you're probably going to switch gears in your head after finding out.

This show looks really stupid so its probably right up my alley.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Of those Ive only heard of Clannad, which is apparently a really good VN story with really bad art?

Im fine with emotional twists and gut punches so that seems fine to me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Everyone in the Gamers main cast is a lovable idiot. And the show is better for it.

See also: Konosuba

I should watch Gamers since I havnt got anything to watch this season.

Any good shows in the spirit of 80s action movies? The more hammy the better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I hadn’t watched anime in a while and started watching Hunter X Hunter (2011 edition, although I watched the first two ‘99 eps first) not really knowing anything about it and it blew me away how good and totally unexpected plot wise it was. I really enjoyed it.

I followed that up with Hero Academia which is also really good but a little more standard shonen stuff, and then I tried to start Fairy Tail and it’s ok but but probably not the best choice after those other two. Are they any recommendations for other kind of higher brow or deconstructive shonen series that are in a similar vein to HxH or HA? I’m not well versed in what’s even out at the moment so any suggestions are welcome even if it’s not shonen stuff

Mob Psycho 100 doesnt fit everything youre looking for but its really loving good anyway so start with that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I watched two eps of Mob Pyscho and I already love it so when I’m done with that I’ll watch the ones Endorph and Neddy recommended. I watched Trigun and liked it until the end when I loved the direction it took and I watched the original Metal Gear Alechemist, is Brotherhood different?

I asked this question like 18 months ago and the best response I got was that the original took a few too many creative liberties in adapting from print to animation while Brotherhood sticks much more faithfully to the print version and is better for it.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 10, 2019

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for anime that fall into the "Came for the fan service, stayed for the story" category. If it actually exists.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FMA is not lacking in the muscles department either.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for some over the top action/violence but Id like to avoid the grim/dark side that is typically associated with the genre.

Basically something like Big Trouble in Little China, but anime.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba is pretty solid on this front.

Watched it as it aired. Show is so beautifully animated I didnt even care that the story didnt always grab me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe you'd enjoy the movie Redline? Not exactly violence but boy is it pretty and action-packed, and the animation is gloriously stylish, some of my favorite ever, even if the story is kind of crap.

And depending on your style tastes, maybe you'd also enjoy Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Dub or sub is fine, sub has Japanese voice actresses screaming poo poo and gently caress all the time, while the English one has US voice actresses doing the same and clearly reveling in it. It's fun, stupid, and often has a good amount of comedic action.

Redline was the first thing recommended to me when I first started posting here like 2 years ago. But Ill watch it again anyway just because. The other show looks similar in art style to something Ive seen before but I cant quite place it. Ill give it a shot anyway.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Claymore kind of fits that mold too and its not terribly long.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for some horror or suspense that doesnt rely heavily on gore or excessive blood to deliver its punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Requiem and Erased look like they will fit this odd craving I have right now. Shin Sekai Yori, Mononoke and Paranoia Agent a bit too but Ill see how things go once Im done the first 2.

Thanks!