Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wasn't the Vegeta spirit bomb super weak though, on account of Goku getting hosed up mid-charge and losing most of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Enourmo posted:

Wasn't the Vegeta spirit bomb super weak though, on account of Goku getting hosed up mid-charge and losing most of it?

Yeah, but the spirit bomb was intended to kill Great Ape Vegeta, not human Vegeta, so Goku probably thought it would still be enough.

Edit: Bye, old thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pureauthor posted:

human Vegeta

come again?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Enourmo posted:

come again?

humanoid

humanish

thing.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHr9iURM0tY

this threads powerlevel is now as much as nappa, the worst guy in the whole show, including recoome

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You going to share that sandwich, Goku?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hell no he isn't he had to fight off the subway guy to get it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well gently caress Goku then.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Elfgames posted:

Hell no he isn't he had to fight off the subway guy to get it.

Phrasing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

@ DBZ Movie Talk

I never understood why DBZ's movies are just as well known and discussed as the actual series. People know Broly and Cooler just as much as they know Freeza and Cell. gently caress, more people probably know Broly and Cooler than they know original DB villains like Tao.

But who knows anything about Naruto or Bleach movies? And I'm not talking quality here, just popularity. Naruto and Bleach are huge, or at least Bleach used to be pretty big, but who t he gently caress knows the names of any of their movie villains?

It jus talways struck me as odd that, while tons of anime have movies, only DBZ's movies are well-known.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You're in a DBZ thread with other people who know about DBZ. What did you expect?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Probably because they are easy to remember names and not something only a greasy otaku would remember. That and they were shown with the show just as often as we saw Raditz pod land.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

You're in a DBZ thread with other people who know about DBZ. What did you expect?

Well I don't just mean on here. I've been an anime fan for over ten years now and I've been on the net just as long. No matter where you go, people know Broly and Cooler. Maybe not the others so much but still. You'll see a lot more discussion about DBZ movies than any other anime-based film is my experience. Hell, I love Yu Yu Hakusho infinitely more than DB/Z but I never watched any of the YYH movies.

It's just weird.

Gildiss posted:

Probably because they are easy to remember names and not something only a greasy otaku would remember. That and they were shown with the show just as often as we saw Raditz pod land.

Hm, this seems like a probable answer.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
It's because DBZ hit when most fans were kids, the movies were played a ton and, more importantly probably, there are so many Dragon Ball videogames that feature movie-only characters and retellings of the movies and whatever that it's way easier to remember them, while every Naruto or Bleach video game I've seen sticks to the shows/manga without dipping into movies or even filler most of the time, with two or three videogame-original characters sometimes.

That's actually another thing about it, really. The story modes of most other anime video games, in my experience, tend to be shorter original stories instead of the retellings of the story of the show (with some what-ifs and other fun stuff) that Dragon Ball games are almost exclusively. And, unlike newer shows, almost every Dragonball game that people have actually played was released after the manga was finished and the movies were (mostly) out, which is probably a big reason for this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also it's because Janemba and the Anime Hulk (but not Turles) are both cooler stronger and better than all of the Narutoes and all the Bleaches stacked together, imo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, in the fansub/import days, it was one billion times more easy to get the movies that the show. Us late Gen Xers often got the movies and only bits and pieces of the show, as opposed to the next generation that got the show then sporadic releases of the movies. However, we created a lot of the older sites that helped paved the way to how the Internet saw the series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Speaking personally, the movie dvds were relatively inexpensive compared to the season boxsets. So, you could rewatch Return of Cooler and Broly when you felt like watching the series. I also had Android 13, but didn't rewatch it too often. Liked watching my cousin's copy of World's Strongest, IIRC. I remember really wanting to see Lord Slug because of an ad in a magazine, but never did. Probably should.

I feel I drifted off to nostalgia midthought.

Edit: Definitely helps that my first exposure to the entire franchise was an old, VHS copy of Deadzone that my late uncle got me for my birthday. I remember rewatching that a lot.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 17, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who didn't see Dragonball until their late 20's, I feel like the previous assessment of nostalgia are way off. I feel it's more because the movies often followed the same pattern as the show and were named after common vegetables and fruit, making them super easy to remember, that and they were as bad as bad goes without actually being completely unlikeable in their own evil way.

Meanwhile, Naruto villain #23 is sack of philosophy whom is human, evil, with a hard to remember name and stupid gimmicks that are tough to remember or to "play" with.

It's all about establishing a connection with the audience.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

My first exposure was one of those 3 episode VHS tapes that was SSj Vegeta vs Android 18. Boy did that make watching the Saiyan Saga kinda confusing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

Also, in the fansub/import days, it was one billion times more easy to get the movies that the show. Us late Gen Xers often got the movies and only bits and pieces of the show, as opposed to the next generation that got the show then sporadic releases of the movies. However, we created a lot of the older sites that helped paved the way to how the Internet saw the series.

Right there with you. The movies actually had official VHS releases in the 90s too, and it wasn't too difficult to nab one of those off of some slightly shady Web 1.0 site.

Still remember reading the movie summaries on Planet Namek and memorizing those characters long before I ever saw them in action.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

projecthalaxy posted:

My first exposure was one of those 3 episode VHS tapes that was SSj Vegeta vs Android 18. Boy did that make watching the Saiyan Saga kinda confusing.

Same boat as one of my other earliest exposures was a VHS copy of the Cell and Vegeta/Trunks battle.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My first Dragonball Z tapes my brother got from a local comic convention had Fusion Reborn (which is awesome), part of later half of the Cell Games, and the part of the Frieza Saga where they use the spirit ball, Krillin dies, and Goku goes Super Saiyan. This is still back when it was still in the endless Raditz/Ginyu loop so these were all fansubs.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

projecthalaxy posted:

Those were depressing as a kid, especially if you spent all your allowance on a new VHS at the mall and nothing noteworthy happened in those episodes.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

mine was watching the goku/freeza fight on toonami and then getting that exact vhs and being so lost

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I forget which saga the US was on at the time, but there was some spanish channel included in my family's cable package that played the Buu saga late at night. I'd stay up and watch it despite only having a rudimentary grasp of spanish. They got all the way up to Majin Vegeta's first appearance before I got tired of trying to make sense of it.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dragonball z is awesome!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I bought VHS for like 2 tapes of the Future Trunks arc, and then bought from the beginning of Great Saiyaman to around Majin Vegeta.

Can't believe anime cost that much for so little. loving stupid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tae posted:

I bought VHS for like 2 tapes of the Future Trunks arc, and then bought from the beginning of Great Saiyaman to around Majin Vegeta.

Can't believe anime cost that much for so little. loving stupid.

Japan still has that system of high cost for low episode count. America just moved more towards bundling and lowered cost.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah anime prices in Japan are super nuts apparently. I remember hearing recently that some big show; Madoka I think, was only being released as a series of $70 2 episode discs, of which you had to buy 13.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember the first time I bought a funimation dvd, I think Fruits basket?, and it had 6 episodes for 30 bucks, which was considered a miracle at the time. Then they started selling 26 episode seasons for 50-60 bucks, and then everyone else started following suite.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The basic idea in Japan is essentially to charge as much as the market can possibly bear. Who cares if they could expand the market or sell ten times as many copies if it was cheaper, some otaku will pay $50 an episode and they're not going to accept less!!

I know for a fact that most of the american anime companies had to fight tooth and nail to get lower prices for US releases. When you see an english release set that has some comically absurd price attached it's almost certainly because the licensing company was absolutely paranoid about discs getting back-imported to Japan and undercutting their racket.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I get the impression that, over there, only hardcore otaku buy anime DVDs/BDs, and people who only watch it casually never does even if it's cheap (unlike manga which is more widely bought) and that's why they try to squeeze as much as they can.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Petiso posted:

I get the impression that, over there, only hardcore otaku buy anime DVDs/BDs, and people who only watch it casually never does even if it's cheap (unlike manga which is more widely bought) and that's why they try to squeeze as much as they can.

Feels like a self-fullfiling prophecy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Do they have pay streaming sites in Japan? Because I and most other people I know consume most of our anime through places like Netflix, Funimation, or Crunchyroll compared to DVDs. Maybe it's the same over there.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember bandai visual trying to sell like 2-3 episodes of super robot wars for 30 bucks per dvd. 9 volumes all together.

Japan clearly has a strong grasp on the American market.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The first DBZ episode that I've seen was in German and involved Majin Vegeta (his emotional self-destruction, no less). It took me several weeks to learn that Vegeta and the guy with an M on his forehead were the same character.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

projecthalaxy posted:

Do they have pay streaming sites in Japan? Because I and most other people I know consume most of our anime through places like Netflix, Funimation, or Crunchyroll compared to DVDs. Maybe it's the same over there.

no lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gotta buy those DVD's with 3 episodes on them for 60 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's amazing that the global economy has not shaken Japan's stranglehold on the anime industry. You'd think the bubble would burst by now, right? Then again, I sometimes think the same thing about their idol/music industry. And yet that poo poo is still going strong.

• Locked thread