Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Back in the day when you could only see these movies as lovely subbed realplayer videos, Cooler 2, Bojack, and Janemba were supposed to be the "excellent" ones.

Source: nerds circa 2000.

Janemba owns since his fighting style is cool and he has some neat tricks.

That's all I give a poo poo about when it comes to dbz movie villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broly has the most idiotic reason to hate goku. Even when I was a twelve year old I knew it was stupid that he hated goku because goku cried a bunch when he was a baby.

I said it last thread and I'll repeat myself now. broly is the worst.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember bandai visual trying to sell like 2-3 episodes of super robot wars for 30 bucks per dvd. 9 volumes all together.

Japan clearly has a strong grasp on the American market.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really hope that Super actually shows us how Frieza trained.

I want Frieza to be hitting a punching bag while wearing a hoody, with eye of the tiger blaring.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

KoB posted:

y. I thought it was dumb that they win because Freiza cant handle his new form well.

Jaco for 5th man in the tournament.

I disagree. It fits in with the theme of the movie. Frieza's fatal flaw is that he's so obsessed with revenge and is so arrogant that the second that he gets the new form, he goes to Earth to fight goku. If he had patience and actually learned to master it, he could have beaten goku. It really fit's in with Frieza's character.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

WHY DIDNT GULDO CARRY A GUN

because killing someone with sharpened trees is rad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really think Toei was surprised by how insanely popular the dbz movies were and they don't have a coherent marketing strategy to deal with it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

Actually, this is concurrent with their previous actions. During DB, they were adapting the manga as a movie series and an anime series simotenously. This is why some movies are alt universe story retellings: they were attempting to catch up.

Now, the movies proved DB successful in the modern day. They started three franchises to run concurrently: an anime, a manga, and a movie series.

To be honest, they did the same during DBZ too.

Except the tv series didn't reanimate stuff already seen in the movies and vice versa. Well okay, everything except for cooler :v:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The dick punch scene was every bit as amazing as I'd thought it be :allears:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

*personally knows the richest woman in the world* *is in-law to the worlds most popular hero* *is the daughter of a king* *somehow has money troubles*

Ox-King's specifically said he was broke, I guess the peasants revolted.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Raxivace posted:

So an interesting new detail has come out for DBSuper Chapter 6. Apparently Vados and Champa are going to gather some saiyans from their universe for their team.

is this universe radditz is the super strong hero I'm calling it now.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

yeah it's a shame it get's ruined by having broly in it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Testekill posted:

Actually Broly is boring and lame. He's just an unstoppable force of nature who doesn't really have much going for him. Janemba is far superior in that it has the fat giant version but also Super Janemba which seems much more menacing and there are creative visuals like how it teleports.

I'm wondering what'll be ranked higher world's strongest or fusion reborn. They're both really good dbz movies. Janemba's the best non-canon villain though, he has a really interesting fighting style. Also you can hurt him by swearing at him!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

was there ever a release in the movies that had English voices and japanese music?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I forgot how much filler they did with the Cell Jrs

in the manga they pretty much pop up, hit everyone, and then get killed

which is good because the anime had dumb stuff like a cell junior just brushing off a final flash.

Raxivace posted:

You're not going to believe this... Apparently (Japanese) Vegeta thinks Dragon Ball is like The Bible too!

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/interviews/ryo-horikawa-interview-at-anime-expo/

it's hilarious how vegeta's voice actor couldn't care less about dbz.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darko posted:

This latest episode of Super is the overall worst animated episode of Dragon Ball I've seen, and I'm not exaggerating at all. And it's basically complete filler. Basically watch Goku go SSG and skip the rest of the episode.

edit: And Vegeta smiling and clapping.

You know the story for super has been enjoyable but jesus gently caress, the animation can get so bad at times that it can really drag the show down.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broly is a super serious villain you guys.

Just ignore his entire motivation for hating the protagonist.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Brolly motivation is the best thing about the character because it is Toriyamasque in how petty and ridiculous it is.

I completely agree with you, I just laugh at how broly is used as an example of "super serious."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

With Beerus, you can at least make the argument that he's not really evil, per se; at least in the movies, he's more of a Shiva figure than space Hitler. Destroying is less something he does for fun or to settle grudges, and more just something he does, period.

Super decided to make him an overt dickhead, which I don't think really works as well, but the movies set him up pretty interestingly.

I don't know the movies have him threatening to blow up earth if they don't give him good food and threatens to kill goku if he keeps speaking to him disrespectfully. He's always been a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

One of the criteria for what makes a good dbz movie is "Expanding on the lore" and BOG introduces a ton of new things to play with that I'm not surprised at all that it's the top dbz movie.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

Considering only three movies are canon, then that does put a lot of balls in BoG, RoF's, and Yo! Son Goku and Friend's Return's court.

That said, BoG deserves the number 1 spot.

I don't think they mean cannon per say, just expanding the setting in interesting ways. both history of trunks and bardock did that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just watched the latest episode of DBZA and Trunks Breakdown and WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU perfectly sums up how trunks must have been feeling during dbz. Kaiser did a great job of that line.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

she didn't shave her head 2/10.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm looking forward to watching super when it's dubbed if only to hear Chris Ayres do more frieza stuff. The guy just completely nails the character.

V clearly wrong opinion in this thread.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 29, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Relying on sloppy superpower seconds is a time-honored Dragonball tradition. Goku's iconic moves are all something someone else came up with.

That's why vegeta's the best he makes up all his own moves. He's no plagiarist :colbert:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I never liked Goten because he is the laziest character design I've ever seen.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I was rewatching kai recently and man the first fight with vegeta was so loving good. There's so many great twists and turns in the fight and EVERYONE helps beat vegeta. Hell even Yajirobe saves the day on two separate occasions.

Also it's really the last time in a dbz fight that you see all the fighters just completely worn out at the end and all of them struggling to end the fight as fast as possible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only person zarbull should be presenting any kind of challenge to by the time rof takes place is master roshi

tho speaking of that, it's still pretty funny that they say yamcha isn't up to the challenge but bring roshi along to fight. it was nice seeing him be useful again

No he should be given the human characters a run for this money. Krillen was never stronger than zarbon . Tien is kind of debatable.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is exactly why Goku thinks it is though. He isn't thinking "Freeza is a threat to the entire universe", he's thinking "man, this dude is freakin' strong, he'll be one hell of a rival!". It's the same thought process he had when he stopped Krillin from killing Vegeta, he knows fully well how dangerous it is but STRONG FIGHTS are before saving the world in Goku's priority list.

I'm glad he gets shot for it.

I've always wondered if Goku would do the same thing vegeta did if he managed to get to imperfect cell first. On the other hand, he didn't want to fight vegeta as it would release majin buu, so I dunno what his policy is regarding strong opponents.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Is the idea with Pan supposed to be that she doesn't even need to go Super Saiyan because Gohan was so absurdly powerful that he didn't even need to transform?

The idea is that Toriyama didn't know how to draw a girl super sayian.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I mean vegeta actually was there and raised trunks

Goku either keeps dying or just abandons them constantly

to be fair, if Gou didn't constantly abandon them, the world would be destroyed due to him not being strong enough. So really, he's looking out for their best interests.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Mere speculation by Goku! At that point he couldn't even sense Berus godly Ki, he had no way of knowing his full strength. He also didn't really know the full power of Vegito either, when he was fused he only ever toyed around with Buu, Vegito never tried to max out his power like Gotenks did.

except goku was getting absolutely curb stomped by beerus even when he entered sj3 form. Beerus beat him using a couple of pokes with his fingers. This is the same form that made him go toe-to-toe with kid buu. Even accounting for the absorbed gohan, buu was never able to completely wreck a ss3 that badly.

Keep in mind that the only way that goku even could had a chance with Beerus was him reaching a level that was so far above what he previously was that only gods could sense it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Final flash scene is great because it shows that vegeta's not a complete moron and is willing to play on someone's ego and it also helps establish perfect cell as a character, he's more than willing to take big risks to show off how perfect he is.

there's a lot of character in a short scene.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so far the 6th universe seems like a much friendlier place than the the 7th universe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wonder if youtube will ever fix their shitshow of a copyright system.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Augus posted:

Chris Sabat's also pretty open about being pals with the TFS crew, so yeah Funimation probably isn't gonna go after them any time soon.

strangely enough, sean schemmel doesn't like dbz abridged at all, or at the very least he refuses to comment on them, so I guess opinion's can vary.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've been two two cons that had Sean as a guest and each time a person asked him what he thought about dbz abridged and he seemed annoyed at the question. I don't blame him as I think that's an incredibly disrespectful question and all around dick move.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't get the disrespectful thing. What's disrespectful about it?

Maybe disrespectful is the wrong word, but I do feel that if an actor goes to a con, talks about a show he works on and opens the floor to ask him questions about said show or stuff he worked on, asking him about something he's had no involvement with and arguably, makes fun of the thing he worked on, is sort of a dickish thing to do.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It probably is, but don't Dragon Balls glow when they're all next to each other?

the namekian dragon balls didn't start glowing until the password was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

X2 is going to be amazing now that they're allowed to have things like a budget and enough time to finish the game.

they had a time crunch last time?

• Locked thread