Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God I remember those, and feeling way too old to be excited about them. That didn't stop me from getting Android 19 and 20 figures at age 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

There is a trend, long running in the VGs case, of just using the Japanese soundtrack instead of the Falcunoer track.

The Japanese soundtrack is far superior anyway.

http://youtu.be/5iIQ7617moI

Goddamn this poo poo is good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Back in the day when you could only see these movies as lovely subbed realplayer videos, Cooler 2, Bojack, and Janemba were supposed to be the "excellent" ones.

Source: nerds circa 2000.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Awesome. I'll need to finally check out the dubs of those. I loved Janemba and fat Gogeta.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Darko posted:

Also, in the fansub/import days, it was one billion times more easy to get the movies that the show. Us late Gen Xers often got the movies and only bits and pieces of the show, as opposed to the next generation that got the show then sporadic releases of the movies. However, we created a lot of the older sites that helped paved the way to how the Internet saw the series.

Right there with you. The movies actually had official VHS releases in the 90s too, and it wasn't too difficult to nab one of those off of some slightly shady Web 1.0 site.

Still remember reading the movie summaries on Planet Namek and memorizing those characters long before I ever saw them in action.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plus the original score is actually really, really good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was the main complaint back on the forums back when they were releasing new dub episodes back in 2000-2002. The music was constant, and I think I would have been more okay with the Faulkner score if they used periods of silence appropriately.

Though we all knew it was going to happen, this led to them completely butchering Gohan going SSJ2.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blockhouse posted:

neither did the original Dragonball score guy

You're thinking of Kenji Yamamoto, who did Kai's music until he got booted off

Yup. Shunsuke Kikuchi is a veteran composer, and he's done a lot of high profile work.

Sadly, Kenji Yamamoto did have some contributions to the original score - he "wrote" Battle Power Infinity, the song that plays when Future Trunks slices up Frieza. It came out 20 years later that he plagiarized the song from some German synth pop band lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Professor Wayne posted:

Did you post it on Planet Namek along with your PL list?

No, that was me. Along with moderating the Planet Namek forums and reviewing new dub VHSs of the Android Saga.

I became well adjusted eventually.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was the hardest I've laughed at DBZA in a while.

Goten disappearing had me dying.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pft just wait for Dragon Ball AF. My uncle's coworker who works at TOEI showed me designs for SUPER SAYAIN 5 GOKU! He has silver hair and it's gonna be totally badass guys. Now excuse me while I post about it on Daizenshuu Ex and blast Willennium.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And it'll mark the first time that a Funimation dub of a DB series will be running concurrently with its Japanese counterpart, albeit probably 50 episodes behind.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Viz translate the first chapters of the Saiyan Saga as their first foray into DB? I'd chalk it up to them not finding their footing just yet.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They're also one of the oldest Dragon Ball sites still in operation. I can excuse some of the ego, because they usually have the goods to back it up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Mr. Buutan? Mr. Sabuu?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I am...Beebus. Yes, Beebus.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I thought Future Trunks was the coolest when I was 11.

I still hold this opinion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want the team to be inexplicably 5 Tenshinhans.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pyroi posted:

I like Dragon Ball Super

How dare you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bring back Lunch. She was cool.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You're not getting the true DB experience unless you read the original 42 first press tankouban in Japanese. Which I definitely do not own, and did not use to try and teach myself Japanese in 8th grade. :shepicide:

(The 3-in-1s are an excellent deal.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Stairmaster posted:

wasn't the bojack movie actually the most-toryiama involved of them all prior to BoG

I could have sworn I read this on planet namek

Yeah, I think he did the character designs for Bojack and his crew. And back in the Planet Namek days, that one was considered hands down the best DBZ movie, along with Janemba.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I forgot just how good the episode where Gohan just obliterates all the Cell Jrs is. Especially in the Japanese version where there's almost next to no music as he zips around being loving terrifying.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The guy who does Goku in DBZA is my ideal Goku. I mean that in all seriousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Squallege posted:

I think Nappa should've stayed alive and just been in a wheelchair. That way we have out 90's required handicapped character

If we did that, then we'd need a cool black kid with a flat-top. Like a reverse Chiaotzu.

• Locked thread