Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

@ DBZ Movie Talk

I never understood why DBZ's movies are just as well known and discussed as the actual series. People know Broly and Cooler just as much as they know Freeza and Cell. gently caress, more people probably know Broly and Cooler than they know original DB villains like Tao.

But who knows anything about Naruto or Bleach movies? And I'm not talking quality here, just popularity. Naruto and Bleach are huge, or at least Bleach used to be pretty big, but who t he gently caress knows the names of any of their movie villains?

It jus talways struck me as odd that, while tons of anime have movies, only DBZ's movies are well-known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

You're in a DBZ thread with other people who know about DBZ. What did you expect?

Well I don't just mean on here. I've been an anime fan for over ten years now and I've been on the net just as long. No matter where you go, people know Broly and Cooler. Maybe not the others so much but still. You'll see a lot more discussion about DBZ movies than any other anime-based film is my experience. Hell, I love Yu Yu Hakusho infinitely more than DB/Z but I never watched any of the YYH movies.

It's just weird.

Gildiss posted:

Probably because they are easy to remember names and not something only a greasy otaku would remember. That and they were shown with the show just as often as we saw Raditz pod land.

Hm, this seems like a probable answer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Race Realists posted:

again, why do western (particularly american) dragon ball fanboys all have this imaginary grimdark bloody tears vision that is so inappropriate for this franchise?

why do nerds think grimdark poo poo is mature?

1. More people in America are familiar with Z.
2. Even still, King Piccolo could be pretty dark. But Z took it one step further with children being murdered in the Freeza Saga and then the Cell Saga being the darkest arc in DB history. That's what, 500 episodes of pretty serious poo poo? Also Cell Saga tends to be a lot of people's favorite. It's my favorite from Part 2, to be sure.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Hey now, children were murdered in the King Piccolo saga too- Krillin and Chiaotzu. What Z added was the murder of completely defenseless children.

Is Chaotzu a kid? Is he even human? I'm a huge DB nerd for all of my life but I never got him.

Most people forget he even exists it seems given that Yamcha is always rated the weakest Z fighter when Chaotzu is standing - er, floating - right over there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

I'd say Freeza or Saiyan are "darker" than Cell.

I'm basing this on the amount of times defenseless people were getting the crap kicked out of them and how many times the MAIN kid character (Gohan) got beat up.

Nobody cares much about Yamcha or random NPCs getting killed, but the most brutal beatdowns are in Saiyan and Freeza.

The Cell Saga has its "dark" rep because of how it starts, namely with the revelation of how every single hero character got murdered and humanity is all but wiped out. Except for Oolong, Puar and Master Roshi who live in a submarine but ya know, forget that.

Oh and Goku's heart virus was pretty intense I thought back in the day. Remember episodes that cut to him screaming in pain while his wife looks on helplessly. . I know some people think that was bullshit plot device but I liked it. It had a beautiful irony to it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Agreed. Also the 'Gohan got chumped' criticism is dumb since Gohan really just didn't work as a main protagonist. The series shifting back to Goku and Vegeta was a good decision.

I hate Adult Goku and much prefer Gohan but even setting aside such biases, it's just plain bad storytelling here. They spent all that time building up Gohan and sure enough, Gohan is way the gently caress stronger than any other single person in the show. Only, after devoting all this time to "Gohan will be the best ever and save the day" he's randomly chumped and made to look like a fool. Missing that earring was just the final slap in the face to Gohan's cred as a hero.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah...Vegeta is great. Apart from the lifetime spent blowing up planets and killing billions (trillions?) under Frieza.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah he was forced into it, but he sure had a smile on his face. Redemption is one thing, realizing what you did was wrong is one thing, but it's still really weird that everyone is just OK with Vegeta despite their knowledge of the atrocities he's committed.

Compare:

Yamcha may or may not have killed a few dozen people as a desert bandit.
Oolong "enslaved" and terrorized a village, but probably didn't kill anyone.
Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu may or may not have killed people as part of the Crane school.
Piccolo hasn't killed anyone besides villains. (King Piccolo is a different dude, doesn't count)
Mr. Buu hasn't technically killed anyone as he's essentially just the Supreme Kaioshin wrapped in a Buu gum wrapper at this point. He purged all his evil into Evil Buu.

Beerus is a completely different case in that he's essentially Shiva/Galactus/a force of nature and kills because that's his purpose. Although, it is still kind of weird that the cast is sort of "friends" with him now.

None of the other "villains turned into friends" have anyone near the kill count of Vegeta, in fact, none of them have ANY confirmed kills, least of all of innocent people. I understand that fans love Vegeta and all and Toriyama was pressured to make him a main cast member, and Dragon Ball is obviously a fantasy and we just kind of have to roll with it, but if any of these characters had anything approaching normal behavior, none of them would ever consider befriending Vegeta.

I used to be the biggest Vegeta fanboy as a kid but he really is the worst. I guess just being an anti-hero who wasn't fighting for truth and justice made him appeal to a younger me.

These days I think Tien and Piccolo are much better examples of reformed villains.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, admittedly, many of Tien's most villainous actions come from the anime. It was really good filler, though! During the Dragon Ball hunt the party comes across one ball held by a guy Tien had permanently crippled because as you might recall, Tien didn't believe in taking it easy on his opponents back then.

But yeah, I guess while maybe villain is a strong word, he was certainly not a hero, either. I guess "rear end in a top hat" will do?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite voice for Goku will always be Stephanie Nadolny who did Kid Goku in Funi's Dragon Ball dub.

It's a real dick move on Funi's part that they never even contacted her about Kai.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

You're off by about two years. Goku is 18 at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, 23 at the start of Z, and so on.

I can forgive him because Goku before the 23rd Tournament was about 2 feet tall, maybe 3 feet max and so I always assumed he was 10 or maybe 12 for most of the series. But nope, he's a full blown teenager even before the training with Kami.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

I always assumed that Cell could freely move where his core was located so that unless you utterly destroy ALL of him, he'd be okay. I've been under that impression...forever, basically. Did I just make that up?

You might be thinking of the Z dub which got around the "how did Cell survive without a head when the Nucleus in his head is what lets him regenerate?" plothole by saying that Cell can always regenerate so long as a single cell of him survives.

Of course, this all arrives at the problem that Namekian regen, unlike Buu's, has a tremendous ki/energy cost. There's really no way Cell should be able to do it but who loving cares, Super Perfect Cell was awesome and had good music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The movies like to use the Spirit Bomb a lot, don't they?

Toei must really like it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well every kid I knew, including me, thought Gohan was the height of cool back during the Cell Saga.

Do kids even watch Dragonball anymore or is it just us old people who used to be kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So how is DBZ Abridged doing? I haven't paid attention to it or any other DB material in a couple years.

• Locked thread