Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Better question, why did everyone else turn Super Sayian? Why wasn't a Goku exclusive, but be very energy intensive or something similar to keep it to limited uses?

Short answer: Because the Super Saiyan Swagger of Vegeta could not be held back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
He is still the only Mystic user in the Universe...even if he forgot how to use that in Resurrection F.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thinking back on it, why did Yamcha even think of wishing for money in the Cell Saga? Being one of the strongest humans in the universe and the fact he's on a baseball team, he could easily ask for humongous salaries since he can consistently send balls into the stratosphere and pitch so fast it goes through the stadium walls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Baal posted:

I don't like Dragonball xenoverse

We're all hoping Xenoverse 2 is what we wanted from Xenoverse 1.

Covok
May 27, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Xenoverse is OK, it just needed less RNGs and more Super Janemba taking over worlds. That's a cool dude, Super Janemba.

Xenoverse would be better if it cribbed more from Heroes and was full of what-if bullshit. That and the races being more legit and everyone getting some transformation. Also, yeah, less RNG and less Super Armor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I agree. My favorite part of any DB video game is the What If stuff, with BudoTen 2/3, the Shin Budokai games, and even Ultimate Tenkaichi all being stellar in that regard. While some Parallel Quests in Xenoverse have that charm to them, and the Broly/Bardock chapter qualifies, I was annoyed at how little there was.

Imagine if one Parraell Quest was being ambushed by Majin Bojack, Majin Garlic Junior, and Majin Super Jenamba with Adult Gotenks being your ally?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unless that hair gel was imbued with the strength of hercules, there is no way that can allow you to have Goku's hairstyle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Awesome Welles posted:

Why was this not used in Xenoverse

There is a trend, long running in the VGs case, of just using the Japanese soundtrack instead of the Falcunoer track.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone ever notice the DBZ fandom has a strange love for the movie villians despite them often being flimsy copies of main series villians?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Amorphous Blob posted:

Mecha cooler is the only one I've seen that outright sucks. Brolly 2 was kinda average(Krillin was too much of a joke and it was very B team) tho I haven't seen Brolly 3 which is supposed to be even worse.

Dead zone might be my favorite cuz it's frankly the last time in the series that everyone is on somewhat even ground. Once kaioken came into the picture it all went to poo poo.

I don't know. I just watched World's Strongest (literally minutes ago) and it handled the Kaioken pretty well by implying Goku can only use it rarely because of body strain. Had quite a few tactics in those battles and was pretty awesome. That said, the main villiains were pretty milquetoast and the exposition scenes felt forced.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Speaking personally, the movie dvds were relatively inexpensive compared to the season boxsets. So, you could rewatch Return of Cooler and Broly when you felt like watching the series. I also had Android 13, but didn't rewatch it too often. Liked watching my cousin's copy of World's Strongest, IIRC. I remember really wanting to see Lord Slug because of an ad in a magazine, but never did. Probably should.

I feel I drifted off to nostalgia midthought.

Edit: Definitely helps that my first exposure to the entire franchise was an old, VHS copy of Deadzone that my late uncle got me for my birthday. I remember rewatching that a lot.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 17, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

My first exposure was one of those 3 episode VHS tapes that was SSj Vegeta vs Android 18. Boy did that make watching the Saiyan Saga kinda confusing.

Same boat as one of my other earliest exposures was a VHS copy of the Cell and Vegeta/Trunks battle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tae posted:

I bought VHS for like 2 tapes of the Future Trunks arc, and then bought from the beginning of Great Saiyaman to around Majin Vegeta.

Can't believe anime cost that much for so little. loving stupid.

Japan still has that system of high cost for low episode count. America just moved more towards bundling and lowered cost.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Petiso posted:

I get the impression that, over there, only hardcore otaku buy anime DVDs/BDs, and people who only watch it casually never does even if it's cheap (unlike manga which is more widely bought) and that's why they try to squeeze as much as they can.

Feels like a self-fullfiling prophecy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My favorite part is that you can see the reference shot of SSJ4 Vegeta, not Goku.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah but it was against Tenshinhan. As a kid, I always thought it was bullshit he bothered going SSJ for that fight.

Hey, Tien ain't no fool. Super Sayian or get punked.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Is anyone playing that DBO server revival? I'm curious but not willing to give them money since I fear it could be shut down any second.

I'm surprised it didn't get shut down yet. It's a pretty open and shut case.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Part of me almost wonders if they want people to play it to keep interest alive, like DBZA.

I am strangely inclined to agree since they must know about it at this point and it would take only one letter to end it.

OR they are afraid one letter wouldn't be enough and aren't willing to go to court over this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Lot's of Funimation people love DBZA, and while they can't officially endorse it, they can turn a blind eye. Toei either doesn't know or doesn't care as long as they indirectly get sales.

I was talking about the DBO revival server.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

superman is a worse father than goku

Considering Superboy isn't actually his son and he has no kids, it's apples to oranges.

Fuego Fish posted:

Today I am going to run a live playtest, with real people around a real table, of Dragon Ball Parallels. I will endeavour to report back on what a chaotic mess it will be.

It'll probably be fine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

YYH owns because the eventual plot resolution is "holy poo poo fighting people like shonen protagonists sucks and means you can never have a healthy life" and Kuwabara and later Yusuke both retire so they can stop being crazy assholes.

That's what Gohan realized and now he's a respected scholar, has a loving marriage, and will have a kid to raise in a few years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Amorphous Blob posted:

The last YYH arc is hilarious.

WOW I WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEX-

I remember there being more in the anime. Did it really just smash cut like that in the manga?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Was YYH's writer sick at the time he did the ending? I know he has health problems.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Leaf posted:

It's sad to think that Cui could have single-handedly wiped out everyone on Earth..

Conversely, it's hilarious to think Goku could have beaten Guldo with a quick Kaioken during the battle of the Sayians.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Piccolo might be able to sense God ki because of Kami.

Covok
May 27, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Gonna watch Resurrection of F this weekend when it goes up for digital rental on Google Play. I'm surprised Funimation hasn't bothered hosting some of the older movies like that. It's nice to be able to toss $4 bucks at google for a thing that I want to watch exactly once.

I got the itch to watch the Bojack movie the other day, and was totally willing to pay to rent it like that, but instead I had to watch some rando's lovely youtube upload with artifacting and copyright filter avoidance measures. You're leaving money on the table, Funimation :homebrew:

You say Funimation, but it can be Toei's dictations limiting their options.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Esroc posted:

Wait, when did the hive-mind decide that Faulconer was terrible? The last two threads had everyone praising his score.

I can't keep up with trends anymore.

Different people can have differing opinions on things. Also, I always remember some back and forth on things related to specific dubs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Webbeh posted:

Can we talk about something better than music v. 129408104 and talk about how Resurrection 'F' came out on streaming today?

Movie still rules.

Cool beans. Is it on Netflix? Wouldn't mind rewatching that poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's probably a dream/day dream sequence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

Super 17 (18 absorbed). :wtc:

First, Hercule goes Super Sayian, now Super Android 17 too?

It's like a super sayian bargain sale this week!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Maybe Heroes will actually feature a Goku-Gohan fusion

Isn't that a bit groady?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Namtab posted:

Fusion isn't sexual you sadbrain

Never said it was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Leaf posted:

So I just finished reading Dragonball.. I thought Goku had some kind of adventures with Chi-Chi after beating Piccolo, but it just kinda ends with him flying away with her in tow. I know I've seen some video of him and Chi-Chi meeting Grandpa Gohan. Was that just anime filler?

Yeah, that was all anime filler.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think the point of the Goku fight was two-fold: give the audience what they've been waiting for and establish Cell is above Goku thus, later on, establishing that Gohan has surpassed his father when he beats Cell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Yes this was outright stated. The point that seems weird is cell clearly being exhausted by the time goku gives up and gladly eating a senzu (pretty much acknowledging he was worn out) then going well mwa ha I have yet to actually fight at my FULL strength like if that's true then why did you need a senzu and well there we go I've put more thought into it than toriyama did

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood the question.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Goku has lived his life fighting stronger and stronger people. He dies the second he truly becomes strongest in the multiverse. Or, at least, he won't have any reason to be alive.

Covok
May 27, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

Turns out there was actually a far more involved storyline for that in the voice files! It involved Vegeta wishing back Goku's tail, then wishing the Earth over to them to simulate a full moon, in order to defeat Kid Buu.

All characters were actually planned to have their own storymodes, actually. Kid Goku's was the most complete/bizarre, if memory serves right. It involved time machines and Broly.

Further proving Broly is just a chump and not "the strongest character in the series, no really!", Kid Goku beating his dumb rear end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think what we're all forgetting is that DBZ dropped power levels as a plot device when Freeza hit his Second Form and all power levels from that point forward is just fan speculation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The important thing to know is Freeza got stronger than Goku in SSJGSSJ by training for four months, but got killed by the energy drain. Trying to put exact numbers to it, especially when the creator clearly did not care, is kind of obsessive and nerdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh no, I wouldn't want to appear nerdy when discussing children's cartoons on a paid anime forum. That would ruin my reputation at the yacht club.

Hey, hey, hey!...It's not a paid, anime forum, it's a paid, general bullshit forum with a section for anime. Big difference. (sarcasm)

• Locked thread