Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's been so long since his rise. Few alive remember it now clearly. It is not the first time. He was weaker, before. Just a man. At least, we tell ourselves that. We may never know for sure. He has taken so much from us. Even a century ago, many had forgotten how to read, or never learned. They say that even three centuries ago, everyone could read, in as many languages as there were nations in the world. But I say that's hogwash. A dream, and nothing more. Keep yourself safe, child. Burn any books you find, or he will come to burn them for you.

Varethax of the Ash like Snow, his minions call him. Varethax of the Burning. To you, he is Varethax the Destroyer. The Burner of Books. Varethax the Betrayer, who took their trust and ruined them with it.

He is a man, perhaps six feet tall at most. But his eyes glow like embers. His clothing is exquisite, a shining beacon in the black ash he leaves in his wake. If you saw him from behind, it would be hard to call him terrifying - just a rich man in a world where there are so few left. But at his beck and call, they come. Every move he makes is power and menace. At his word, the books burned, so long ago. At his command, the great forces of the world trembled and cities fell.

He did not explain himself. When he came at first, all he said was 'I am searching.' And when he left, he gave no explanation. He said only this: 'Kill the scholars. Burn the books. Leave only ash.'

And his forces did. Sometimes, he would spare a city - but never a book. Never a library. Never a scholar, unless they swore themselves to him forever.

But all hope is not yet lost. While even among those lands that resist, literacy is rare and books rarer, there are those who stand against the Betrayer and his forces. They have chosen their best and brightest - those who have the only hope of defeating the Burner of Books. The only hope before all knowledge is lost in his mad quest for...something. Something that no one seems to understand.

You are the chosen. The Fellowship. The only hope.

You can find the playbooks here, posted with Gnome's permission.
You can back the Kickstarter here for the full book.

What I want out of potential players is this: Choose your playbook and tell me something. If you want options that aren't yet detailed, pick 'em anyway. We'll figure something out, even if I have to bug Gnome a little and make him wish he hadn't let me post the playbooks. Then, tell me about yourself! If nothing else, I want to know:

Who are you, and why did you want to join the Fellowship?

Why did your people choose you to join the Fellowship, and what have they lost to the Betrayer?

What will you protect from the Betrayer, no matter what?

I'll be answering any questions here in the thread or, if required, on #persona or #swampthings in SynIRC. I will post my Overlord playbook once picks are made. I'm looking for four to six people for PBP here, and apps will be open...uh, at least a week, possibly a bit more?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kylra posted:

I'm curious about Small Target, Bottomless Belly or Courage of Halfings. I dunno about the rest fitting well for this character.

The link above is updated with full playbooks. The moves in question are:

Small Target
When you Overcome a threat by getting out of the way, on a 7+ you manage to get completely out of sight - your attacker loses track of you, although you must still pay a price on a 7-9 result. On a 12+, everyone loses track of you - tell us where you went, and you're there.

Bottomless Belly
Whenever you Fill Your Belly, you may Use as much food as you like, and you heal an equal amount of damage. Anyone trying to compete with you can also Use extra food to heal an extra point of damage.

The Courage of Halflings
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged. This Move cannot be Shared.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Looks cool. I'll make an elf of some kind.

Will Merfolk have a lot of trouble just existing in this setting?

Don't see why. I mean, if you use stone tablets, the Betrayer is happy to break those. You might want to have a Throne to travel around on if you don't have legs, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Entirely viable. The fun thing is that if you take a playbook and get picked, what your race is like is pretty much entirely determined by you! You are in control of their background, culture and nature. (Shared, in the case of the Squire.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, folks! First up: Please have a second playbook in mind in case I end up picking you and there's major overlap - you and the person you overlap with will negotiate which one wants to swap to another playbook and how to do that, if this becomes required. I don't know that it will.

Second: questions! I'll keep asking questions to people I haven't gotten to or who are new appers as things go on.

Parlabane the Elf (Vulpes Vulpes): Your people stubbornly keep the schedule of the stars, despite your advice. They are not fools, though this may be foolish. Why do they do this?

Kay(?) the Squire (Green Bean): You are not strong or wise or powerful, but you would fight to save the world anyway. What is it that you keep in your heart, to be sure you remain this brave?

Dvalin, son of Dain, the Dwarf (Quorum): Your people did not believe they could be harmed from without, for their Stoneholds were impregnable. Who betrayed the secret of the dark paths to the Betrayer, and why was it so personal for you?

Rose Blossom,. the Halfling (Kylra): They say Varethrax will spare those scholars who swear themselves to him. What do you think of those who have taken this offer, and which of them was closest to you?

Lore of the World, the Orc (Krysmphoenix): I'll ask you once you've got more posted. This is a reminder for me.

Appolonius of Legends, the Heir (Astus): Some of the most ancient rules of the Games of Old have been lost. Who benefits most from the chaos, and what do you fear the Betrayer might offer them?

Ioa, Reclaimer #5995, the Elf (JesterOfAmerica): Your people prize knowledge over all else, but few know you well. How did the Betrayer wrest away so many of your secrets for himself - and worse, make them so much bigger and more dangerous?

Liara of the Storm, the Heir (Neopie): Your people have lived so long beneath the ground, and these sunlit ways are strange. When all this is done, what will you bring home most joyfully, and what will you spread to the surface world most fervently?

Robard Goldworthy, the Halfling (Capfalcon): Marker for later, to remind myself to ask you when you're finished.

Dirge Songheart, the Orc (Astro Ambulance): You retain your voice, alone among all your people. Why were you spared, and who paid the price?

Raliin Coalface, the Orc (paradoxGentleman): The name Coalface was given to your tribe to mark your shame, yet yours is the tribe closest to freedom. What chains the hearts of less shamed tribes?

Miha of Pebbles and Ilya of Flowers, the Halfling(s) (sentrygun): Your people were scattered even before the Betrayer came to take their power and burn their knowledge. Now, it is even harder to talk to each other, to know who is truly a friend and who has turned for their own survival. What lets you know that while it may be beaten, the spirit of the Nomads has not yet broken?

Prince Torrigan of the Builders, the Heir (FewtureMD): First, stop breaking my tables, please. Second, the Builders once had the greatest and most beautiful cities. Now, so many things have been turned to other uses, far from their original intent. Which strikes at your heart most, and why?

Karr, the Harbinger (Error 404): Once, your people worked alongside the Betrayer, helped him to shackle and destroy the Word. What turned you against him, and why do some still waver?

Prince Ivan of Buyan, the Heir (nomadotto): You are the first of your people to leave the city in generations. What most amazes you about the outer world now, and what do you fear will follow you home?

Talthe Coral-Born, the Elf (IPlayVideoGames): It has been long years since your people have spoken to those that live in fresh water. What is said of them, and are they of your people and the Seaguard?

Lord Amir the Ram, the Dwarf (Cyphoderus): Your people are immense, strong and powerful. Who named them Dwarves, and why do they wear that name with pride?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For those apping Squires: just pick a race for now. If things end up conflicting with whoever is of that race when picks are made, we'll has stuff out, some as for folks who might need to shift playbooks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lore of the World, the Orc (Krysmphoenix): Your people have long memories, and they have given up much to retain the truths they have managed to burn into their skins. Tell me a little about one of those truths, and why it was so important to protect that the orcs would risk death as living books to save it.

Robard Goldworthy, the Halfling: The halflings have been forced to flee their homeland and take to a life so unlike the idyllic one they knew. What have you kept to make a home out of the barren road and open sky that the Betrayer can never take from you? Why is it so vital to a home?

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Benoit XII, the Heir: You are educated - educated in ways long since forbidden. Your people have rejected you and turned their backs on you. Where did you learn, and what did the Betrayer do when he found out?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gnome has informed me of a rewrite of Quick to Judge for the Squire:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Green Bean posted:

Edited my sheet to reflect this change. Also, if I'm reading this right, does this move override the "only one Bond" part of the Harbinger's Doom and Gloom? Because that'd make a ton of sense and sounds like a lot of fun in-play.

I'm gonna say yes. The Harbinger can still only have one back, but you can have as many as you want with them!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Knock the Orc (dog kisser): Ketonburg was a fine city - not the largest, not the greatest, but it was well known and loved by its people. What did the Betrayer take with him when he left Ketonburg, and why does it haunt you still?

Hanna bara Hanna, the Squire (Comrade Gorbash): You are not a fighter, but a dreamer and a helper. Even so, you are willing to walk into the most dangerous places to help. What dream keeps you strong, when you close your eyes? Why?

Onar Inkfinger, the Dwarf (Auralsaurus Flex): You, more than most, remember the time before the Betrayer. What did you manage to escape with from that time, and why was that the first thing you laid your hands upon?

Pinfeather Jon, the Squire (Daeren): The Harbingers can talk until the cows come home about philosophy and the nature of the world. But there is a reason you and the others like you stayed there, even though the Council were madmen and fools. What did your home have that made it your home, and how much of it remains now?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 17, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also: Closing for new apps on Saturday. Anything posted before...probably noonish Saturday, EST, will be considered.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

poo poo, i did miss you, didn't i

hold on, you'll get one

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Namib Thar Kharan, Child of the Sahib, the Heir (Kid Blink): The Parched Land is a difficult place to survive for anyone, even the Water that Walks. But your ancestors learned all its secrets. Which secret was preserved best, when their writings were taken, and why will it help you in your quest?

Aleph The Burned, the Harbinger (Josef bugman): Your people were slaughtered as the Betrayer burned their library and city. But what remained after, those whom he did not kill, serve him now. What did he offer them, and why do they take it?

Hy An Ke Op Ik, The Muchwise. the Harbinger (Scribbleykins): Your people believe you a traitor, for they sup on the lies of the Burner. Who among them do you still name friend, and why?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Only a few hours left!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cutting it right under the wire, aren't you?

Free, the Squire (UnCO3): Your people have never written books and never been scholars. You were slaves, then destroyers, and now you are something new. When all this is over, what do you hope to be?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Anyway. UnCO you got a little while yet to answer the question. No new apps from here on out, picks will be posted when I make 'em.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This was not easy, and the only reason I was able to post it this soon is that I've been wrestling with it for days already - and even then, UnCO's last minute entry made me pause for a while and consider. Ultimately, everyone I didn't pick was really good and will, hopefully, apply for my next game. I plan to run lots of Fellowship, after all, but when the next one happens depends on my free time in upcoming months. We'll see how long it takes.

The Fellowship
Lord Amir the Ram, the Dwarf (Cyphoderus)
Talthe Coralborn, the Elf (IPlayVideoGames)
Miha of Pebbles and Ilya of Flowers, the Halflings (sentrygun)
Karr, the Harbinger (Error 404)
Liara of the Storm, the Heir (Neopie)
Raliin Coalface, the Orc (paradoxGentleman)
Hanna bara Hanna, the Squire (Comrade Gorbash)

Varethax the Betrayer, the Overlord

Bonds
I have fought Lord Amir, the Ram before, and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.
Only Karr knows my Weakness.
Talthe Coralborn knows where to find one of my Sources of Power.
I killed someone important to Miha and Ilya.
I have left a lasting mark upon Liara's people, which will not soon be healed.
I have corrupted someone close to Raliin Coalface.
Hanna bara Hanna knows me but does not realize it.

quote:

Name: Varethax the Betrayer
Look: Otherworldly eyes, expensive clothes, unassuming figure, menacing aura

Plan
Ultimate Power: You need power, by any means necessary.

Moves
Chew the Scenery
When you are physically present, you can have the Spotlight for as long as you like, when you get it. You and you Generals can never be in Despair.

My Only Weakness
There's always a catch, when it comes to having unstoppable power. You have some quirks that the Fellowship can exploit. You have all of the following vulnerabilities:
  • You are arrogant: Every setback is minor and can be dealt with. Everything is fine and you know you cannot lose.
  • You are busy: The fellowship's destruction is not your actual goal. You have something you want, and your focus is on getting that. When you personally engage the fellowship, your goal is not to kill them all, but merely to get them out of your way while you do your thing.
  • You are honor-bound: When you make a promise, you will always keep it, even against your better interests. This weakness may seem silly, but it makes for a better game when you can negotiate or gamble with the fellowship and they can trust you to keep your end of the deal.
  • You have a Weakness: there is a single material, item, charm, ritual, or spell that you are vulnerable to. This is your Weakness. When the fellowship uses this Weakness against you, they can ignore one of your Threats to the World for the rest of the scene. The other players will know your Weakness, but the fellowship they are playing as does not begin the game knowing your Weakness unless they have something that tells them otherwise.
My Weakness Is: A fragment of time itself, trapped in amber.

An Offer You Can't Refuse
When a player gets Taken Out in your presence, you may give them an offer, for their services, for something they hold, or ofr the end of their life. If they accept, you fulfill the deal and then leave the scene. If they refuse, they must roll +Courage. On a 6-, you are too terrifying, and they take your offer against their true desires. On a 7-9, they refuse, and they have one good chance to spite you. They will tell you how. Then, you will them what you do to them for it. You may kill them for this. On a 10+, not only do they spite you, but they manage to escape before you can properly punish them for it, ending the scene with you standing there, alone. Tell us your rage.

Threat To The World
You threaten the world and all it stands for. There are a variety of reasons you cannot be stopped, and the Fellowship will need to take all of them away from you if they are to stand a chance against you. Choose three Threats to the World to start the game with:
  • Invincible: You are very difficult to harm. Anyone trying to hurt you is in Despair.
  • Unknowable: Your form or your actions are incomprehensible. Anyone trying to Look Closely around you or Speak Softly with you is in Despair.
  • General: You have a General, a powerful individual who works under you. Your General(s) let you effectively be in multiple places at once, or take action from the safety of wherever you call home.
The fellowship will know each of your Threats to the World that prevent them from harming you, and they will need to form a counter-plan against every single one of them. If they have your Weakness, they can use it to ignore one of your Threats. If they destroy a Source of your Power (or activate a Source of Power of their own), they can erase one of your Threats forever. If one of your Generals suffers a significant failure at their hands, you will execute or exile them.
If you seize a new Source of Power, gain a new Threat to the World.
The fellowship can still attempt to harm you and make moves against you, but yout Threat to the World is no joke. Whenever a player makes any move, they must pay a price for each Threat to the World preventing them from taking action, before they can even roll. Your Generals and yur Armies allow you to be a Threat to the World separate from where the Overlord themselves are.
Your Threats to the World also function as your stats. When you would take damage or be destroyed, you damage one of your Threats, and you lose that threat until you heal. A Threat to the World is no small thing, and takes a lot of time to heal - you only heal when the fellowship Recovers, and even then you only heal 1 damage.
When you take damage while all of your Threats are gone, you are forced to retreat. If there is nowhere to go or it is the Final Battle, you are Destroyed instead, as if they got a 10+ on the move Finish Them.

Generals
Kamal en Tar, Left Hand of the Betrayer, the Unseen

Gear
An elegant sword, exotic in design (Melee)
Magical bolts of energy, able to be reflected back at you (Ranged)
Destructive blasts of fire or lightning (Dangerous)
A clever plan (1 Use)
A traitor (1 Use)

Secret: :iiam:

Armies
The Organization: The Hands, an elite group that mysteriously mirrors the Fellowship.

Check out how many Bonds you get and assign them! Feel free to ask each other questions about each other to establish things. Likewise, feel free to ask me questions. Thread will go up once Bonds are assigned and I get some more prep work done. (Like, say, naming the members of the Hands.)

Oh yes, and one question for you guys: Do humans exist?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 19, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dog kisser posted:

Aw, bummer! Ah well, at least I have a character pre-set for future Fellowship games! Either way, I'll probably do some artwork for this one - my interest is piqued!

Also, if there's no humans, what's the Betrayer?

Excellent question, that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

(However, the tattoos on Karr, we have now learned, are the flesh-tone parts, since elves are merfolk.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, I have no doubt that the few Harbingers around have problems you may want to help them solve. They're not many, but they're powerful.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Error 404 posted:

So I can only ever have one bond with any particular person, and anyone else can only ever have one bond with me.

With the exception of the Squire, who can love the hell out of you if she so desires.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think I'm gonna say, on humans: in the sense that there are people who look like humans, they exist. None would name themseves 'human'. They'd be the Dalemen or the Enhokta or the Maitali or the Vailings, all of whom are different ethnic groups, similar to how the river-elves and the sea-elves are different ethnic groups.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cyphoderus posted:

Overlord, I have a question. Our Bond states you've left a wound upon Amir – but yet he underestimates you as a weakling, as he does all wizards, and has no idea how powerful you really are. I was thinking, then, that maybe we didn't meet in a one-on-one confrontation, and instead indirectly, during the course of one of Amir's many adventures. Maybe the wound isn't a battle scar, but something more like a magical seal, intended to sleep and become something else in the future, or to parasite Lord Amir's energy and experiences in some way. What do you think?

I think that's perfectly reasonable. After all, the Betrayer wouldn't bother to kill a raging fool if he saw some potential use there. Do you prefer a sleeping seal or a parasitic one?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, when you fill up all your bonds, if you could (as Amir has) post them all up so I can tell when everyone's done, that'd be great.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let's see, looks like it's just Raliin that needs to get those last Bonds handed out?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay! Thread will go up tomorrow, as today SA is being slow as poo poo for no reason.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It begins.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hey there! Fellowship has had some rules shifts.

quote:

Look Closely (Sense)
When you closely examine a situation or a location, roll +Sense. On a 10+, ask three questions from the list. On a 7-9, ask one. When acting on the answers, take +1 to your first roll to do so. Anyone can answer, but the Overlord has the final say.
• What is going on here, and what will happen if we do nothing?
• What's here that I can use to my advantage?
• What here is a threat or a danger to me?
• Who or what looks like it is hiding something?
• Who or what can I rely on to help me out here?

Speak Softly (Wisdom)
When you have a quiet chat with someone outside the fellowship, you may roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, ask them three questions from the list. On a 7-9, ask one. When acting on the answers, take +1 to your first roll to do so.
• What can they tell us about ________?
• What were they doing, and what are they going to do next?
• What should I be wary of when dealing with them?
• What do they want, and how could we help them get it?
• What would they have us do next?

Talk Sense (Grace or Sense or Wisdom)
When you speak with conviction and ask someone for help, tell us what you want from them and why they should help you. If they're willing to listen, roll.
When you detail your plan and their place in it, roll +Sense.
When you appeal to their emotions or their desires, roll +Wisdom.
When you impress, dazzle, or trick them, roll +Grace.

On a 7+, they do as you ask, to the best of their ability. On a 9-, you owe them a favor. The more you asked of them, the more they'll ask of you, and they can cash it in at any time - even right now, before they do as you ask. On a 6-, they'll still do as you ask, but they won't put a lot of effort into it, or they may not do it how you wanted them to, or you might need to babysit them through it, or they won't do it until after you've done the favor, their choice.

Every playbook will now have ten example Bonds rather than four.

A bunch of moves have also changed. The playbook PDFs have not yet updated, but these are some of the changes:

Elf

Halfling

Harbinger

Heir

Squire

quote:

They're no longer a part of someone else's people (although they can be). No, The Squire is the hero of the people - the friends you meet along the way are your greatest treasure. They forge Bonds extremely easily, and they can use their Bonds for a variety of things - three of their Custom moves are abilities you can erase a Bond to use. And even without the mechanical benefits of erasing bonds for bonuses, having these Bonds gives the squire the ability to Command Lore about them - they trust you with parts of themselves they'd never show to a real hero. It's almost a completely different playbook now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If this shifts anything about your playbook you may respec.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Playbooks are updated now!

quote:

====CHANGELOG====
> Minor wording changes and clarifications all throughout.
====BASIC MOVE CHANGES====
> Overcome and Finish Them have had their stats switched. You can now Finish Them using any stat, but the stat you roll to finish them is determined by the advantage you hold over them. Overcome is always rolled with +Blood, and it has had its mechanics/effects extremely tightened up as a result. The number one most common feedback from playtesting is that no one knew when to use the Overcome move - the new wording should make it significantly more clear.
> Added a sidebar about the differences between Keep Them Busy and Overcome.
> Look Closely and Speak Softly have had their question lists refined. The moves no longer ask their questions of the Overlord. Speak Softly asks them of the person you are chatting with, and Look Closely asks their questions of everyone else playing Fellowship. The Overlord has the final say on the answers to the Look Closely questions, however, as the world around you is part of their Command Lore domain.
> Talk Sense has been entirely rewritten, and now uses Grace, Sense, or Wisdom. Which stat you roll depends on how you get them to do what you want, and you cannot roll if you don't give them a good reason to help you. A 7+ result will have them do what you ask, and a 9- result will have them ask something of you.
> Pay The Price changed the price's timing. The price is now paid after performing the move you must pay for, not before the move. This makes paying a price much more sensible with how the narrative flows - you pay the price for what you did after doing it, which opens up the ability to pay a wider scope of more interesting costs for your actions. Also, a lot of people were using the move like this anyway during playtesting.
> The Bonds That Bind Us has been rewritten, but mostly functions the same.
> The Bonds That Break Us has been heavily rewritten. It is now much easier to erase Bonds with each other, but it is also much more important for the Fellowship to maintain Bonds with each other - if you work alongside someone you have no Bonds with, you just get in each others' way and roll with Despair.
> This isn't a rules change, but it is highly recommended you remind your players they can forge bonds over any shared experience they have. Forging Bonds should basically happen constantly, like once a scene.
> End of Session questions and results changed. All options now scale with player count, and options can be taken more than once. This prevents the issue where the players who are fully healed up and geared up at the end of a session must pick healing options that do not help them. It also prevents the issue where leveling up the Fellowship's players evenly will take a million years, and take even longer the more players there are.
> Level Up changes: Each player can only level up once per session, in addition to the limit on the highest level player being disallowed from leveling up.
> Recover Changes: Recover now triggers not on earned fellowship, but by taking the time to rest in a place of safety. Recovering now advances the Overlord's plans and Heals them - pushing on is better when you can. This change should also make the End of Session restorative options more useful, and make Gear quantity limits more meaningful.
> Earning Fellowship: A community whose Fellowship you have is always considered a place of safety you can Recover in.
> Sharing Moves: A move that cannot be shared can ONLY be taken by the playbook it is printed on. The Half-Elf moves and other moves that simply take a move cannot take a move if that move cannot be Shared.
> The Piercing tag now lets you always choose which stat you damage with your attacks, in addition to preventing the enemy from redirecting the damage with armor or abilities. I should probably give some more things the Piercing tag, it is very rare, but I have not done that yet.
====PLAYBOOK CHANGES====
> I have added more Sample Bonds for each playbook. They now each have 10 sample bonds, except the Squire, who has 12 sample bonds.
> Gear checkboxes were too light on the printed playbooks. They have been darkened.
> Dwarf rules clarification: When someone without an Iron stat rolls a move that uses +Iron, they roll at +0.
> Iron stat reworded for how you use it to Finish Them.
> Dwarf's Firebeard move now lets you immediately roll to Finish Them with +Blood after your Iron stat becomes damaged during battle.
> The Elf's Elder Arts Core Move can now be shared, and has unique rules for being shared.
> The Elven Custom move Elder Might can no longer be shared, and Special Stardust has additional text for sharing it.
> The Elven Advancement option to take a Core move from any basic playbook no one is using has been changed. It now lets you take a Core or Custom move from any basic playbook, but you cannot take a move someone else already knows.
> The Elven Custom move Enemy At The Gates now modifies the Finish Them move, letting you be very good at being a sneaky sniper.
> The Halfling Core move Sting Like A Bee has been given a more useful list of tricks.
> Some Halfling's Gear options have been buffed to give them access to more food. Snacks (2 Uses, Food) have been added to some of their gear options, and the traveler's carriage now comes with a kitchen (food, 3 uses).
> The Halfling's Gear had an error on the playbook where they had no halfling companion options. The companion option has been added to the playbook.
> The Halfling Custom move Talk Nonsense has been rewritten. It is now a +Courage stat replacement move for Talk Sense, with the rider effect that it also lets you Sting Like A Bee on a 10+.
> Harbinger rules clarification: When someone without a Doom stat rolls a move that uses +Doom, they roll at +0. > Doom stat re-worded for how you use it to Finish Them.
> Do Not Trifle With Wizards no longer requires a roll, and it can no longer be shared. The Harbinger has a sub-theme of always being really badly hurt/weakened in exchange for moments of intense power.
> The Harbinger's Wizardry Core move can now be shared, and has unique rules for being shared.
> The Harbinger's Custom move You Shall Not Pass has been entirely rewritten.
> The Harbinger's Custom move Dark and Terrible no longer requires you to Destroy Them. You can now leave a curse upon anyone by denouncing their deeds and then taking one damage.
> The Heir's Yes, My Liege core move has been completely changed, and its new effective is much stronger. To compensate, The Heir now starts with only two Custom Moves, not three.
> The Heir's Great Builders move has been slightly changed. It now also grants you engineering tools to fix/break things with.
> The Heir's Stalwart Defenders move was completely changed. It now improves the Overcome move when you use it to defend your allies or stop a Threat to the World.
> The Heir's Forgotten Lands move has had a sentence added to add some mechanical weight to the unique feature the move grants you.
> The Heir's Custom How Dare You has been changed to account for the changes to Finish Them and the Look Closely/Speak Softly question lists.
> The Heir's Custom Foraging now gives the Drunk (all stats) tag as one of the 7-9 options. Poison will mess you up.
> The Heir's Long Live The Queen move now grants Hope to anyone Overcoming an attack against you.
> Noble Bearing has had the companion damage redirection part of the move removed, and is now entirely an ally summoning move. The effect is more than useful enough on its own and the extra part of the move muddled its focus.
> The Heir's Gear has a little less food - only 3 Uses now instead of 4.
> The Orc's Fires of Industry move now allows those you share the move with to ignore the Clumsy tag on Orc-Made weaponry.
> The Orc's Daughters of Chaos move now also grants orcs immunity to the Heir's Yes, My Liege move.
> The Squire's Command Lore has been changed. They no longer Command Lore about another players' people. They now Command Lore about anyone they have a Bond with who is not controlled by another player - people just trust The Squire, and they tell you things about them that no one else in the fellowship could ever know.
> The Squire's "Quick to Judge" move was renamed to Fast Friends. The move has also been heavily rewritten. The Squire can no longer recruit Companions, but their Bonds are very powerful for a variety of other reasons.
> The Squire's It's Dangerous To Go Alone move has been rewritten to let you Overcome harm with +Sense instead of +Blood.
> The Squire's For Your People move has been changed. It now lets Unshareable moves be shared with you, but only from one other player, whose people you are a part of. It also gives you their What Is A _____ move and lets you take their Core moves when you could take a Squire Custom move, including during character creation.
> The Squire's See The World move has been changed to be more interesting.
> The Squire's Remembered By History move has been simplified.
> The Squire Custom moves Run For It!, I Won't Let You Down, and We'll Make It! have both been completely re-written. We'll Make It! can no longer be shared.
> The Squire's multiclass move has been changed to Teach Me Your Ways.
====DESTINY CHANGES====
> I've added text for all currently written destiny playbooks. Not all of them are written yet.
> The Knight's starting move has been entirely rewritten.
> Some move names have been changed.
====OVERLORD CHANGES====
> The Fellowship now chooses the Bond the Overlord has with them, and the Overlord's Bonds list has been adjusted. The Fellowship doesn't get to write these Bonds - they just put their name into a blank. A couple of the Bonds that were previously there have been removed, and several new ones have been written.
> The Rule of Three has been added to the Overlord's Toolbox. This rule allows you to combine multiple threats into a single, more dangerous threat, which breaks down into a smaller threat when defeated. This should significantly ease the difficulty of dealing with a group of enemies through the game's mechanics.
> The Overlord's Armies have been changed to account for the Rule of Three.
====TO DO LIST====
> All of Chapter 4. I have enough material that I should be able to write this chapter now, but in the interest of pushing this update out today, I haven't done that yet.
> Source of Power Set Pieces, one for each type of threat (Innocent, Barrier, etc). These would be set pieces all about a Source of Power, to give clear examples of what those should look like.
> Adding words about using and exploiting Sources of Power to the Overlord's chapter. The book is very vague right now on what a Source of Power even is, but the term comes up a lot.
> Adding more Set Pieces in general, at least 3 for each category.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

you can take the current one if you want, neopie can't post right now

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Awesome! We can get you back in on the next set or something

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay. Floor is open for anyone to step up and tell me a little about this town, we'll try to get things back on track. Universe glitch happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am totally okay with that.

• Locked thread