Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Sweet Jesus, they're both finally getting cancelled. Those are the church bells a'tollin' for BOTH shows on the brink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Every time I hear someone talk about how bad Bones has gotten they always use a different example, yet they're all insane.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think my biggest problem with Beckett is that her character feels like she literally has had nothing to do since Braken.. as evidenced by them returning to that particular well. Her being the Captain sounded kind of dull, and I know the actress was on the fence about this season, so I have a strong feeling he'll be chasing her down the vast majority of the season.

Thing is, I really am OK with that. The supporting cast is getting stepped up a lot and honestly I think there's a lot more amusing episodes to be had with Castle playing off of Ryan/Esposito/even Alexis; Beckett also used to be the "straight woman" to deflect Castle's stuff, but she's long stopped that, so at this point I rather just hear Ryan/Esposito do it. Maybe I really am the only one that thinks this is actually a good thing.

Andorra posted:

Every time I hear someone talk about how bad Bones has gotten they always use a different example, yet they're all insane.

I don't watch either show but holy poo poo this sounds awful:

quote:

On Bones, “the grisly discovery of human remains lead Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and Booth (David Boreanaz) on a hunt for clues, during which they encounter Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) and Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), searching for answers of their own. Realizing that they are after the same evidence, they team up to solve the mystery. Then, immediately following on Sleepy Hollow, the intrigue continues as Ichabod’s old nemesis is back from the dead. Ichabod and Abbie need advanced forensic help and expertise to stop him and turn to Brennan and Booth to unlock 18th century secrets using 21st century science.”

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 24, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

They've long gone past jumping the shark and nuking the fridge. gently caress.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
The only crossover I've ever wanted to see was a 3 hour extravaganza of Knight Rider, Airwolf, and The A-Team. Why didn't the 80's let that happen?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bones' head is gonna explode when she has to deal with magic and witches and poo poo

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That sounds more like Fanfiction Mad Libs than an actual TV show.

Actually that'd be a fun game - pick one procedural crime drama and then cross over with a genre show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Andorra posted:

Cyndi Lauper guest stars occasionally as a psychic. A legit psychic. The episode after Stewie guest starred, the entire episode was a dream Booth was having where the lab was actually a nightclub they owned, and Mötley Crüe guest starred as a band playing the club. Ghosts are real on Bones now, too. A killer once etched markings into a bone that, when scanned into the computer, ran a program that hacked the lab's computers. Hodgins lost all of his money from the same "hacker", and gained it all back again when he invented an unbreakable material and sold it for millions. This season will feature Betty White as a new intern. Her character will be really into Fantasy Football. This will become relevant to the case they're trying to solve that week.

Nothing I posted above is a lie. And I'm not even worried that I've used up all of the examples. I'm sure I could think of more if I tried. This is all just off the top of my head.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best was when a major storyline in an episode was getting tickets to see Avatar.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

The best was when a major storyline in an episode was getting tickets to see Avatar.

And the intern who was most psyched to get the tickets to see Avatar was played by an actor from the movie Avatar.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

thrawn527 posted:

Cyndi Lauper guest stars occasionally as a psychic. A legit psychic. The episode after Stewie guest starred, the entire episode was a dream Booth was having where the lab was actually a nightclub they owned, and Mötley Crüe guest starred as a band playing the club. Ghosts are real on Bones now, too. A killer once etched markings into a bone that, when scanned into the computer, ran a program that hacked the lab's computers. Hodgins lost all of his money from the same "hacker", and gained it all back again when he invented an unbreakable material and sold it for millions. This season will feature Betty White as a new intern. Her character will be really into Fantasy Football. This will become relevant to the case they're trying to solve that week.

Nothing I posted above is a lie. And I'm not even worried that I've used up all of the examples. I'm sure I could think of more if I tried. This is all just off the top of my head.

Beautiful. Beautiful.

Is it played straight? Or does it know it's dumb?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skychrono posted:

Beautiful. Beautiful.

Is it played straight? Or does it know it's dumb?

It's played totally straight. The Stewie from Family Guy bit seemed like it knew it was dumb, but then immediately Bones said, "You saw an animated character? That's not okay, I'm taking you to the hospital." And it turned out he had a tumor and almost died and it got super serious.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

ImpulseDrive posted:

The only crossover I've ever wanted to see was a 3 hour extravaganza of Knight Rider, Airwolf, and The A-Team. Why didn't the 80's let that happen?
Same but with Psych and Monk instead.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Same but with Psych and Monk instead.

We got close

https://youtu.be/4nXIRXlT_20

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Watch Psyche, it has Wet Mouth Noises!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought the first episode was bad and the second episode didn't help things.

I recognize that its pretty much Castle's M.O. at this point is to up the stakes in retarded ways for premieres, finales, and sweeps. However, this bullshit about keeping secrets/not trusting someone/hidden life is just overdone. It might as well be Supernatural at that point. I thought it was pretty clear that whoever was in charge of the show knew this too when they gave Castle amnesia.

It is episodes like these that just make me want to swear off the show entirely, because they make no loving sense.

The show, to its credit, is a lot more bearable when they aren't trying to grab ratings.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought the first episode was bad and the second episode didn't help things.

I recognize that its pretty much Castle's M.O. at this point is to up the stakes in retarded ways for premieres, finales, and sweeps. However, this bullshit about keeping secrets/not trusting someone/hidden life is just overdone. It might as well be Supernatural at that point. I thought it was pretty clear that whoever was in charge of the show knew this too when they gave Castle amnesia.

It is episodes like these that just make me want to swear off the show entirely, because they make no loving sense.

The show, to its credit, is a lot more bearable when they aren't trying to grab ratings.

Doesn't the second episode not air until tonight? Did it air earlier somewhere?

Did I sleep through Monday?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Castle always aired a day early in Canada, but I don't know if that still applies this season or if he misspoke.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Doesn't the second episode not air until tonight? Did it air earlier somewhere?

Did I sleep through Monday?

poo poo. You're right. I got it crossed with something else.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
poo poo's really gone off the deep end only 5 minutes in. Castle's stepmom is a secret agent now?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm already more entertained than last week.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Okay, that ending was so VERY Castle and very cool. I loved it. That secret room and the gun in the desk... drat. That premiere was fixed with that second episode.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Why didn't they end this ten minutes earlier instead of this ridiculous twist/mystery?

I did enjoy Castle's hero moment and the joke.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
This episode was great right up to the end. I'm not really sure what the purpose of Beckett needing space is, aside from maybe Stana Katic getting time off.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good Lord.

Really?

What a poo poo ending.

E at least the next episode looks good

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 29, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

drat. I posted RIGHT before the last bit. The preview looks like they're going back to season 1 formula of Castle annoying Beckett into letting him into a case. So that's good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That zoom-enhance scene was literally the worst one I've ever seen, my eyes almost rolled out of my head and exploded.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was definitely bad. That topped anything they ever did on CSI.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
When watching network TV, I just pretend all the shows exist in a parallel dimension very like our own but with nigh-magical photo/video capabilities. It's for the good of my sanity.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Hee hee. Tumblr is losing its loving mind over the ending. :rant:

Overall I was entertained, as I always am by the show. My quibbles were not with the ending, which didn't strike me as all that out of character for Beckett. She's always been very self-centered and is a two-steps-forward-one-step-back person in terms of her character arc. Besides, they'll get back together sooner or later (this is Rick "Pushover" Castle we're dealing with), and the only question is whether the reunion sex will be in Castle's PI lounge or in the precinct broom closet. Until then, it looks like Beckett will stew in her angst bubble while Castle teams up with Alexis and/or Ryan and Espo to solve crimes. I can handle that for a while.

My main quibble was with the big bad. Did we really have to go back to the well with Senator Evil? (Granted, seeing him get his was a long-overdue pleasure.) It would have been nice to change it up a bit. Maybe have an early case that C&B solved turn out to be a complete bungle and they sent an innocent person to jail, and said person's relatives/friends/whomever want revenge. That would have thrown a nice bit of angst into the mix.

One thing I found suspicious was the ease with which Beckett and Tech Dude were able to escape everything. Everyone else got taken out without a hitch but they managed to escape down a narrow hallway while being shot at with massive guns. Ooookay. Also, we got three new characters introduced: Tech Dude, Stepmom (Jackson Hunt really likes his redheads, doesn't he?), and Hayley. The odds of all three of them being on the up-and-up are infinitesimal. One of them at least has got to be working for the big bad. I'll be interested to see how this aspect plays out.

And let's not forget the most important thing that will happen this season. Next week: Castle in glasses. :swoon:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
The plot was... okay. It was better before the reveal of "Beckett on her own!" though next week's follow up seems cool, if nonsensical.

But the dialog is terrible. Everything out of Haley and Alexis was bad. Anyone who curses without emphasizing the text - like "he killed my people, that bastard will get what he deserves" in a full monotone - is weird, and it happened four times in that episode.

Shooting stuff is cool I guess.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Castle is just really bad when it tries to be an action thriller and not a comedy. But we knew that.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
This would've been better if Castle's actual mom had turned out to be a secret agent (retired). This show's so far gone already, the least they could do is joke about it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Previous seasons: the person who killed Beckett's mom was actually part of a conspiracy involving a high ranking government official.

This season: the person who was behind the conspiracy that killed Beckett's mom was actually part of a conspiracy involving an even higher ranking government official.

Come on, really?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

effervescible posted:

When watching network TV, I just pretend all the shows exist in a parallel dimension very like our own but with nigh-magical photo/video capabilities. It's for the good of my sanity.

The sad thing is that early seasons of Castle specifically poked fun at this trope and specifically dealt with not having magic tech and that zooming in on an image didn't increase the resolution.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Why did Alexis have a ring on her left ring finger?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He used the gun! :yayclod:

a helpful bear posted:

poo poo's really gone off the deep end only 5 minutes in. Castle's stepmom is a secret agent now?

It'd be hilarious if they all meet and Castle has no idea who she is.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I want Martha and the stepmom to meet. It could be hilarious and awkward, like that Doctor Who episode with Rose and Sarah Jane.

The more I think about it, the less I trust the tech dude. He is totally up to no good.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Klungar posted:

The sad thing is that early seasons of Castle specifically poked fun at this trope and specifically dealt with not having magic tech and that zooming in on an image didn't increase the resolution.

The early seasons of Castle didn't have _________ the tech girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That rotated filter + zoom and enhance of a margin scribble seen in the reversed image of a small reflection in a mirror based off of blurry and grainy security footage.

SO BAD

Kate not knowing when to just give up and sacrificing her marriage on a suicidal quest. SO BAD. This show used to be good once.

• Locked thread