Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, if the drama takes up any more real estate I'm tuning out, too. They've got solid enough characters that Case Of The Week episodes could sustain them forever a la Magnum PI, but it feels like management wants them jumping the shark every season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jumba posted:

I had watched Castle since season one, but the first episode this season was so mind-numbingly awful I stopped watching it and deleted the series from my DVR. Thank you internet thread for confirming I made the right choice.

I've got this terrible, terrible habit of riding shows that are on fire and plummeting 2,000 feet a minute all the way to the ground, once I've started watching them. I think the last engine just fell off this one.

For fucks sake, I'm watching Heroes Reborn still. The only show to REALLY test my endurance lately, though, is Grimm. Holy gently caress that show didn't just fall off a cliff, it ramped off it while screaming a YOLO and shooting themselves repeatedly.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only show to REALLY test my endurance lately, though, is Grimm. Holy gently caress that show didn't just fall off a cliff, it ramped off it while screaming a YOLO and shooting themselves repeatedly.

It turned into a soap opera. I'm imagining the showrunners as a couple of guys who're rich now and wiling away the days drinking beers and watching soaps that want out of their contracts early.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Accretionist posted:

It turned into a soap opera. I'm imagining the showrunners as a couple of guys who're rich now and wiling away the days drinking beers and watching soaps that want out of their contracts early.

The complete character assassination of Juliet last season was borderline malicious on their part.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

The complete character assassination of Juliet last season was borderline malicious on their part.

And the complete assassination of Nick's mom off screen was curiously bad writing. I don't go for gossip, but I think I'd read about Grimm's implosion. It's suddenly turned into such a mess.

At least they had a solid S1.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Nice to see we're all in agreement here. Apparently not just here, as I read an interview with the showrunners begging people to keep watching until episode 7 when they get Castle and Beckett back together. You could almost hear them thinking "we made a terrible choice and are completely screwed now."

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm even going to hold off on the reunion episode until I read spoilers and see how it shakes out. If Castle just rolls over and welcomes her back without any consequences for her, I'm bailing for good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Accretionist posted:

And the complete assassination of Nick's mom off screen was curiously bad writing. I don't go for gossip, but I think I'd read about Grimm's implosion. It's suddenly turned into such a mess.

At least they had a solid S1.

In their defense the actress just got into a movie and was also unavailable for the final episode. Season was still awful.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nose woman needs to be in more episodes. Really good episode, except for the inevitable relationship drama.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Hmmm. I my renege on my vow to not watch it until the separation ends (Adam Baldwin episode excluded).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just started this last episode and all I can say is.. seriously, he has a loving AI capable of casual conversation?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just started this last episode and all I can say is.. seriously, he has a loving AI capable of casual conversation?

It's been "enhancing" photos for eight years now. It's so happy to finally have a speaking role.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wait, so this show had time travel, and now it has an AI...has this been a stealth Terminator series all along?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That the traveler's timeline requires accelerated technological development rationalizes Lucy and the photo enhancement suites

Thank you, thread!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This episode was godawful. The part which sucked the most was the character assassination. Specifically, that of Ryan. He shot at an unknown figure and it turned out to be his partner. (And neither of them had announced themselves as cops.) And that idiot was back on his desk like nothing happened? No, no no no. He should have had his gun taken away and been given a wooden one for that level of incompetence.

He could have killed his own partner through carelessness and ineptitude and the show plays it off like a joke? loving awful.

Also, the guest star was obnoxious (I realize that was part of the point) and Castle wanting to keep her around so she could smell if Beckett was still attracted to him was creepy and pathetic. (And stupid because he should know Beckett is attracted to him by now, they got married for gently caress's sake.)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh come on. Crack Shot and Assposito was funny.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, so this show had time travel, and now it has an AI...has this been a stealth Terminator series all along?

Mind you they already had an AI... on a fake spaceship. But now apparently Castle has ordered one the size of a Glade air freshener off Amazon; one that's so smart it can not only pick up on audio clues but respond with sarcasm and directional information (with no eyes or cameras). I'm telling you my theory that the last several seasons have been Castles rambling books is the only thing that makes any sense anymore.

By the way, a question for the TV viewers: I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it, but the private.. whatever she is Castle's been working with. I've seen that archtype a bunch, and I hate it every time; she seems so fake, so insincere. I'm not exactly up on TV lingo but what the hell would you even call it? Maybe it's pairing a ton of cliches with the specific accent. I don't know. I can't help as if I've seen a dozen copies of this from somewhere. I can't even put my finger on what aspects are nagging me. (The investigator woman, I mean)

Tide posted:

Oh come on. Crack Shot and Assposito was funny.

If they got a spin-off, I'd check it out. Though I do agree Ryan would probably have been sent home for a few weeks pending an investigation, and the investigation result of "I saw an outline so shot it" might see him looking for a new job.

Also it was quite a waste to get that guy, who plays SAS officers for breakfast, go out of their way to explain he was an SAS officer and then dump him from the episode entirely. Then again, firing "suppressing fire" at the police means he's probably not going anywhere for 10, 20 years.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Based on all the responses here i'm just gonna skip this episode and the rest of the show. It's just not really that entertaining anymore.

If they'd spun it off with Castle doing his own PI thing sans Becket (except for the odd cameo) i might not have minded, but they're stretching things really thin in order to keep the original 'structure' intact.

Like, they've got all the pieces in place for a great Veronica Mars type show but are just blowing it.

Just imagine if it abandoned the procedural poo poo and there was a (well constructed) central mystery whodunnit that Castle had to solve with cliffhangers at the end of each episode. It would be great and it's not like the show's going to pick up any new viewers at this point so all you're doing is creating a really tight season long storyarc for all of those who stuck around to this point.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Just imagine if it abandoned the procedural poo poo and there was a (well constructed) central mystery whodunnit that Castle had to solve with cliffhangers at the end of each episode. It would be great and it's not like the show's going to pick up any new viewers at this point so all you're doing is creating a really tight season long storyarc for all of those who stuck around to this point.

A good central arc would have worked; I think what they're doing now was a half-assed attempt at that, but it isn't succeeding at all. Or they should have stuck with case-of-the-week and gotten increasingly loony with them as it's most likely the last season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, the shooting didn't sit well with me either. That much levity about something that serious would've worked I'm a satire and they played it straight.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Y'all are making this long harangue about the shooting, but hey, this a procedural with an AI in a pyramid, a line-up to SMELL the culprit, and a police captain working both detective work, her own job, and doing part-time investigation of a super-villain in the government somewhere simultaneously. This show's full of weird poo poo, cut it some slack.

It gave great butt jokes and the lady accompanying Castle was insanely funny and heartwarming in the end. The reasoning for her being there (Castle wondering over Beckett's feelings) is solid for the character. Castle has always wondered whether Beckett is as all in, crazy in love as he is. With him in a separation, it stands to reason he wants to solve crimes to be able to see Beckett and get some solid assurance that she does feel something. It's pathetic, but it makes sense.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

Y'all are making this long harangue about the shooting, but hey, this a procedural with an AI in a pyramid, a line-up to SMELL the culprit, and a police captain working both detective work, her own job, and doing part-time investigation of a super-villain in the government somewhere simultaneously. This show's full of weird poo poo, cut it some slack.

You just described why the show pretty much sucks now

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Standards exist; I can only 'take it for what it is' to a point.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I made it up to the Molly Quinn experience episode (which I just watched last night) and I'm not interested in watching this show anymore. The plot is just loving stupid.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I've been watching since day 1 and this week's ep was the first one I didn't finish. It felt like the cold open was a half hour long and it never picked up pace.

I thought the premiere was loving CSI/NCIS-level horrible but the last two eps were inoffensive at least.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I skipped the last new episode with no regrets but I'm tuning in for this week because Adam Baldwin is back as the entertainingly assholish Detective Slaughter. I'm hearing that Beckett's role should be a bare minimum, and that helps.

I’ve just realized that the feeling of tentative optimism I have for tonight’s Castle is the same one I had for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Instead of “Well, the tone is all wrong and Thorin gets on my nerves and this stuff about a made-up character for love interest looks terrible, but Smaug should bring the fun, right?” I’m thinking, “Well, the tone is all wrong and Beckett gets on my nerves and the LocSat arc is terrible, but Castle and Slaughter should bring the fun, right?”

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It really was an enjoyable episode. Is it true then, the rumors that Stana Katic and Nathan Filliion hate each other and rarely do romantic scenes together if they can put a double in? That would explain why this season has them apart so goddamn much and the storyline not making a lick of sense.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
No clue if those rumors are true, but even if they were, the blame goes to the writers, who could have gone so many ways that would have been better than this arc.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
From everything I've read it's exactly that: A rumor. Like I doubt they're madly in love or anything but I've read a couple statements from sources a bit more reputable than an anonymous submission to the Daily Mail that basically say "they like each other just fine."

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
If they hated each other, would Nathan have become fat for a while?

I am happy to hear that everyone hates the plot episodes too, I just skip em, I was flash forwarding through some episode with his step mom/spy, wtf.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I think a lot of the rumors come from the fact that they used to do a lot of promo together for the show and now they don't. One problem was that some weird fans seemed to think they should date each other; it got to the point where people were tweeting death threats to Fillion's girlfriend at the time. If that sort of stuff was happening to me just because of who my coworker was, I wouldn't associate with that coworker outside of work hours either.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Is she doing much other than Castle? I know Nathan Fillion is doing a ton of voiceover work in... pretty much everything, and ConMen, and other stuff.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Skychrono posted:

Is she doing much other than Castle? I know Nathan Fillion is doing a ton of voiceover work in... pretty much everything, and ConMen, and other stuff.

She voiced Talia al Ghul in the Batman videogame, has about three movies coming out, and came out in the webseries Fletcher Drive. She stayed busy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
... so tonight's episode confirms for me that removing Beckett and adding Jayne produced the most fun the show's been in years.

Seriously I think the show could fix itself and go a few more seasons without Beckett but with her it's just painful.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

It also had the lowest ratings in a few seasons, according to the internet.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the episode in particular as the season arc in general. My spouse and several friends stopped watching a while ago. I only tuned in because of Jayne and won't watch again until the separation arc is done with. It'll be interesting to see how the show handles its fall finale and what kind of viewership it gets when things return in February. I'm not optimistic, but then I'm probably going to end up pretending S7 was the last one and that the Jayne episode was a holiday special.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the episode in particular as the season arc in general. My spouse and several friends stopped watching a while ago. I only tuned in because of Jayne and won't watch again until the separation arc is done with. It'll be interesting to see how the show handles its fall finale and what kind of viewership it gets when things return in February. I'm not optimistic, but then I'm probably going to end up pretending S7 was the last one and that the Jayne episode was a holiday special.

Thanks for the reminders, but do you really have to tell us a couple of times on the very same page of this thread how much you don't like the show and only tune in for Baldwin and then wait for the separation to be over?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm sure that's it. Everything has blown horrendously. I only ended up seeing it because I'm riding this flaming train all the way off a cliff.. only 12 more episodes or so to go, I can make it!

I honestly think the fact Castle bought a fully functioning AI that can fit in the palm of your hand off loving Amazon is still the thing that breaks my brain the most about the show, even in the face of everything. The fact it's a recurring character is depressing as hell.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm sure that's it. Everything has blown horrendously. I only ended up seeing it because I'm riding this flaming train all the way off a cliff.. only 12 more episodes or so to go, I can make it!

I honestly think the fact Castle bought a fully functioning AI that can fit in the palm of your hand off loving Amazon is still the thing that breaks my brain the most about the show, even in the face of everything. The fact it's a recurring character is depressing as hell.

I would've been fine if it was for some quick one-off joke, or a weird gimmick Her episode. Buuuuuuut it just happened and lies as a pointless background thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Castle should just get a divorce and marry Slaughter, imo.
Then we could have a spinoff/sequel, Slaughter PI. It'd be about Dick Slaughter trying to keep his husband from going full Jack Bauer on people while searching for clients' lost cats.

• Locked thread