Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God this show is so much better without Beckett being so central. Am I really the only one that thinks that? I kind of hope she's barely in this season even if it's not usually a good sign.

Skychrono posted:

Not a big fan of Haley's dialog, nor Alexis. Otherwise, good start, especially knowing what next week brings.

Alexis looks like she aged 6 years between seasons, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think my biggest problem with Beckett is that her character feels like she literally has had nothing to do since Braken.. as evidenced by them returning to that particular well. Her being the Captain sounded kind of dull, and I know the actress was on the fence about this season, so I have a strong feeling he'll be chasing her down the vast majority of the season.

Thing is, I really am OK with that. The supporting cast is getting stepped up a lot and honestly I think there's a lot more amusing episodes to be had with Castle playing off of Ryan/Esposito/even Alexis; Beckett also used to be the "straight woman" to deflect Castle's stuff, but she's long stopped that, so at this point I rather just hear Ryan/Esposito do it. Maybe I really am the only one that thinks this is actually a good thing.

Andorra posted:

Every time I hear someone talk about how bad Bones has gotten they always use a different example, yet they're all insane.

I don't watch either show but holy poo poo this sounds awful:

quote:

On Bones, “the grisly discovery of human remains lead Brennan (Emily Deschanel) and Booth (David Boreanaz) on a hunt for clues, during which they encounter Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) and Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), searching for answers of their own. Realizing that they are after the same evidence, they team up to solve the mystery. Then, immediately following on Sleepy Hollow, the intrigue continues as Ichabod’s old nemesis is back from the dead. Ichabod and Abbie need advanced forensic help and expertise to stop him and turn to Brennan and Booth to unlock 18th century secrets using 21st century science.”

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 24, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That zoom-enhance scene was literally the worst one I've ever seen, my eyes almost rolled out of my head and exploded.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OOOKay. So now there's a talking AI capable of conversing with people.

I have decided, my theory that Beckett died when she got shot and the rest of the series has been Castle's increasingly insane books should be canon.

Klungar posted:

The sad thing is that early seasons of Castle specifically poked fun at this trope and specifically dealt with not having magic tech and that zooming in on an image didn't increase the resolution.

The show used to be "Castle has some crazy as poo poo idea, Beckett grounds his idea, it puts them on the right track." Then it turned into "Castle has a crazy idea, truth turns out to be crazier." It is literally the inverse formula of what started the show.

In the old days, he'd be convinced it was ninjas and it'd turn out to be not ninjas, but it'd lead them somewhere. Now he'd be convinced it was ninjas and it'd turn out to be super agent ninjas. Also his whole family are now super secret agents.

The "Castle's books" theory is the only thing the explains why the show suddenly went that way. I would be satisfied if the last episode had Castle die, only to zoom out a layer to the real Castle killing his fictional hero version of himself, just like he did in the pilot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ouhei posted:

The dumbest thing about all of this is that Beckett is still there; her moving out isn't actually doing anything. When she left I assumed she'd be, you know, gone?

If she wanted less screen time and they wanted a different kind of season, she should have stayed on the lam. Her whole plot would have made WAY more loving sense if she was into something so deep she couldn't even CONTACT the main cast without risk for the majority of the season. Just focus on the cast members who aren't making schedule demands and break her out for the occasional major episode until the end.

It kind of wrote itself. Now it feels like they're half-assedly trying to go back to the "work around the actor" concept they have, instead of the one that fell into their lap.

Ouhei posted:

The dumbest thing about all of this is that Beckett is still there; her moving out isn't actually doing anything. When she left I assumed she'd be, you know, gone? A vast majority of her time seems to still be spent doing things that Castle can still be around for/involved in and her interactions with him are pretty much how they have been since they got together.

But you see super secret agencies won't try to kill your loved ones if you're not living with them, it's magic armor.

Except not only is it not magic armor Castle himself shot one of them and is clearly prodding things even more when left in the dark, so it is a brilliant foolproof idea.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 14, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jumba posted:

I had watched Castle since season one, but the first episode this season was so mind-numbingly awful I stopped watching it and deleted the series from my DVR. Thank you internet thread for confirming I made the right choice.

I've got this terrible, terrible habit of riding shows that are on fire and plummeting 2,000 feet a minute all the way to the ground, once I've started watching them. I think the last engine just fell off this one.

For fucks sake, I'm watching Heroes Reborn still. The only show to REALLY test my endurance lately, though, is Grimm. Holy gently caress that show didn't just fall off a cliff, it ramped off it while screaming a YOLO and shooting themselves repeatedly.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just started this last episode and all I can say is.. seriously, he has a loving AI capable of casual conversation?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait, so this show had time travel, and now it has an AI...has this been a stealth Terminator series all along?

Mind you they already had an AI... on a fake spaceship. But now apparently Castle has ordered one the size of a Glade air freshener off Amazon; one that's so smart it can not only pick up on audio clues but respond with sarcasm and directional information (with no eyes or cameras). I'm telling you my theory that the last several seasons have been Castles rambling books is the only thing that makes any sense anymore.

By the way, a question for the TV viewers: I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it, but the private.. whatever she is Castle's been working with. I've seen that archtype a bunch, and I hate it every time; she seems so fake, so insincere. I'm not exactly up on TV lingo but what the hell would you even call it? Maybe it's pairing a ton of cliches with the specific accent. I don't know. I can't help as if I've seen a dozen copies of this from somewhere. I can't even put my finger on what aspects are nagging me. (The investigator woman, I mean)

Tide posted:

Oh come on. Crack Shot and Assposito was funny.

If they got a spin-off, I'd check it out. Though I do agree Ryan would probably have been sent home for a few weeks pending an investigation, and the investigation result of "I saw an outline so shot it" might see him looking for a new job.

Also it was quite a waste to get that guy, who plays SAS officers for breakfast, go out of their way to explain he was an SAS officer and then dump him from the episode entirely. Then again, firing "suppressing fire" at the police means he's probably not going anywhere for 10, 20 years.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

Y'all are making this long harangue about the shooting, but hey, this a procedural with an AI in a pyramid, a line-up to SMELL the culprit, and a police captain working both detective work, her own job, and doing part-time investigation of a super-villain in the government somewhere simultaneously. This show's full of weird poo poo, cut it some slack.

You just described why the show pretty much sucks now

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
... so tonight's episode confirms for me that removing Beckett and adding Jayne produced the most fun the show's been in years.

Seriously I think the show could fix itself and go a few more seasons without Beckett but with her it's just painful.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the episode in particular as the season arc in general. My spouse and several friends stopped watching a while ago. I only tuned in because of Jayne and won't watch again until the separation arc is done with. It'll be interesting to see how the show handles its fall finale and what kind of viewership it gets when things return in February. I'm not optimistic, but then I'm probably going to end up pretending S7 was the last one and that the Jayne episode was a holiday special.

I'm sure that's it. Everything has blown horrendously. I only ended up seeing it because I'm riding this flaming train all the way off a cliff.. only 12 more episodes or so to go, I can make it!

I honestly think the fact Castle bought a fully functioning AI that can fit in the palm of your hand off loving Amazon is still the thing that breaks my brain the most about the show, even in the face of everything. The fact it's a recurring character is depressing as hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those little two-wheel electric scooters are one of the few things that are legitimately awesome things the works exactly as shown. They're booming around here, and all around really cool as hell. You can cut through a crowd with one with zero problems. The scooter deserves a *****.

And that's all I have to say about that episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Remember, kids: The Coast Guard can't catch a cruise ship 5 minutes after it leaves dock, and there are no repercussions whatsoever as being suspected as a smuggling ship.

ED: ... oh my God. I just got to the hacking part. For fucks sake Hackers was better than this.

ED2: Bahaha. A CYBERNUKE? Oh dear lord this is some bullshit. Turn off your computer you loving idiot.

ED3: Return of the mail order AI.

.... this show seriously needs to end as being all Castle's books because is jumping the shark with a jetpack.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 24, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sounds like bailing after the rear end-shot episode was the right call.

.... only like half a season left then hopefully somebody will take this out back, shoot it, and tell the talented people stuck here "You're free. Run! RUN!"

I'll give the cast props; they're trying their best to run with the scripts that are just the worst. What's funny is they had a few good ideas but they don't realize they're good ideas so they just keep veering into dumber and dumber things.

For the last few seasons the product placement has been hilariously bad too. Remember when he could only solve the crime thanks to his MOBILE HOTSPOT (TM) car? Jesus that stuff makes me cringe. That said, I'll still endorse the two-wheel gyroboard thing they had on the show, it's one of the only things that is really as cool as it looks. In fact, quite a bit cooler.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 10, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is the show back? These posts do not sound encouraging.

Deep breath: If I could survive Heroes entire run and deal with the 3rd season of American Horror Story, I can take this.

May the cybernukes cause cyberfallout and the rest of the show wander the virtual wasteland

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just finally watching February's episodes (they nearly broke me) and oh man the woman trapped with Beckett in the last episode is hilarious. The survival instincts of a video game lemming. "Oh they left a pack of smokes in the kidnapper's hideout! WHAT COULD GO WRONG."

ED: I love how after I wrote this she proceeded to threaten to shoot people, thought Castle killed her husband and didn't shed so much as a tear or a scream, and then never said another word for the remainder of the episode. Actually that whole thing is dumber and dumber the more you think about it; I kept thinking she'd turn out to be the sister or something. What the gently caress was the point of doing a twins story and other bullshit if the other twin died off-screen? The whole episode felt like "Let's do the first 30 minutes a saw movie then just kinda stumble through a cliched ending" and yeah, I sadly do agree it's one of the best of the season in spite of that.

Maybe it's a lack of LokSat: The plot that is literally going nowhere, never was going anywhere and has been spinning tires since it started.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 28, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

karrethuun posted:

they need to let this show die already

This show actually beat me. I stopped watching planning to finish it when the show ended.

So I google today to see when the loving thing will finally end and find out that it's reanimated again. That said I've not been able to stand Beckett for a few seasons now. I can't believe this thing is shambling on.

woodch posted:

Meh, it wasn't bad. Just totally formulaic, and despite the little twists the ending isn't any real surprise.

Edit: I guess I've kinda forgotten why I started watching Castle... for the characters, not necessarily the "mysteries". But the contrived "apart but together" story device is wearing thin.

The whole show forgot what the hell it was at the start.

Original Castle: They find a crazy murder, Beckett does the police work and Castle offers bat poo poo insane theories, and they meet in the middle with only a hint of what Castle was saying is true

Current Castle: Hack the matrix ROM drive my genius daughter, we need to decrypt the time traveler's data files before the ninja assassins find us. Wait here, I'm going to call both of my super secret agent parents in.. well one, we can't afford the other anymore. [Insert Beckett saying LOKSAT 500 times for current season with no actual progress)

... that said, with Beckett leaving and the show continuing, this is their chance to take my theory that Beckett died when she was shot and everything after has been Castle losing his loving mind in his books.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

10 Beers posted:

I liked this most recent episode. It seemed like a return to form, what with Castle's crazy theories about the Antichrist and stuff.

I caught it thinking it was actually the finale, but man they cheat like a son of a bitch and it's annoying. "Oh that was the light from your zipper." Really? I mean loving really?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the flying gently caress was that?

Seriously, no, what was that?

Tried for the random shock ending.. followed by some random shock happy ending.. what the Christ? Did they decide to cancel the show and tacked a happy ending on? Is it a hallucination?

That was the most inept series of what the fucks I've seen in the last 3 minutes of anything.

ED: Hahahahaha. That was the series finale? I thought it was renewed without Beckett but that was how they ended it? Going for a lovely cliff hangar followed by the dumbest tacked on ending in the universe? Oh wow. The whole episode was terrible but that last three minutes was such bullshit they should have just cut out the gunshot entirely.

No final send-off moments for any of the characters at all. Just an abrupt "Bullshit twist.. BULLSHIT TWIST!"

Holy Goddamn, bless you whoever put this show out of it's mercy. I couldn't stand it's suffering.

quote:

Until last week, all signs pointed to the long-running ABC drama being renewed for a ninth season. However, on Thursday night, the network suddenly gave it the ax. So that turned Monday’s episode into a series finale, which meant the producers had to scramble to send off the show with a proper ending, especially considering it’s a show with a fiercely loyal, vocal fan base — particularly regarding the show’s main couple, detectives Castle (Nathan Fillion) and Beckett (Stana Katic).

Hahaha oh that's so loving lovely. I feel so bad for the cast. "Hey everyone, yeah, you're fired. By the way you have three days to shoot and edit your new ending for the whole series. Good luck!"

They end up with like 7 kids in a farmhouse I guess? What the Christ. This is kind of amazing in it's poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 20, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized that the NYPD guys were left in a shootout with CIA people who had more guns & ammo and never resolved.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose I didn't miss anything skipping this season.

The drama behind the scene is hilarious, tho. Never heard about it until now. Fillion being made out as an rear end in a top hat bully by one party, Katic being made out as a prima donna that didn't get Fillion to dance to her tune by the other.

I wish I could find out more about it because I'm legitimately curious.

That said having seen interviews and behind the scenes stuff with Fillion and then with Katic, I tend to pretty much 100% believe Fillion's side of the story (and not just because he's pretty much the reason I started watching the show in the first place). She comes off as just reeking of "I'm too good for this" and such; she's been a charisma vacuum for seasons now and is the least interesting character.

Also notably if her beef was entirely with Fillion, they'd had her in the show just as much doing her own thing. But instead they shoved her in to the time slot of a guest star. I really am curious what the crux of the beef was about but I have to say, I'd be surprised if she wasn't kind of a prick.

That said I wish they gave the show more notice than 72 hours to end it purely in the editing room with an old B-Roll because holy gently caress that was dumb, as badly as it needed to be put out of it's mercy. Also bonus points for not using any of the immediately proceeding episodes to build to a finale so there was time to take a breath, making the 2nd to the last episode some stupid Omen episode instead.

Actually that'd been a funny ending: They're both dying on the floor and the Antichrist shows up and says "Oh I totally owe you favor, Rick!" and snaps his fingers, cut to flash forward..

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 20, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, this is the show that actually broke me. I couldn't watch this whole season. I've literally watched the shittiest, dumbest shows ever and ridden them into the ground.. but I couldn't do it here. I skipped out on half of the last season. I have zero desire to ever go back and watch them.

Congrats, Castle. I've stuck with American Horror Story and Heroes through pure dogshit, but this was the bridge too far.

.... I should note that their idea of a "shocking cliffhanger" was so obnoxious if they had gone through with it, so again, I'm glad the show loving died. Seriously. If they had wanted real shock, Castle should have gotten to the basement just in time to see the villain throw Beckett's body into the furnace. If you were going to kill her at least that'd be kind of amazing.

Nemo posted:

I won't believe that the stupid ending was because they were rushed after the cancellation notice.

If that's true, that means they were so sure they were being renewed that they didn't bother to put an alternate finale together, and after this whole season that seems hard to swallow.

They can't be that tone deaf.

I think they literally used B-Roll from 2 seasons ago when they weren't sure if they'd be renewed. Literally a "Oh gently caress we're canceled" ending backup.

That's literally what happened.

ED: Also interestingly enough I think they started hating each other right around the time they got thrown into a romantic thing in the actual show. Not sure if it's related, just saying.

Jesus Christ was a pile of poo poo no matter the reason, though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 20, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andorra posted:

Now, after watching the finale I think we should go back and watch the premiere to see just how much the show deviated from what made it enjoyable.

It literally inverses completely. I noticed that more and more.

A) Castle has crazy fiction theories that stumble them towards clues to lead to a grounded conclusion

Leads to:

B) Castle has crazy fiction theories that are rapidly surpassed by even crazier events

I still think the best ending would have been everything after Castle was shot = His books. In the earlier seasons he'd think he found some secret spy conspiracy and then find out it was something else; in later seasons both his parents are super secret agents, he's diffused nuclear bombs and taken down global conspiracies, time travel is real and he's not only fought a mad AI, he owns an AI he bought from Amazon.

The show turned dumb as hell. Dumb as hell.

Plus: Zoom, enhance, zoom, enhance and HE SENT OUT A CYBERNUKE!

--

Oh one serious question. In this season since I skipped some episodes did anyone explain WHAT that British agent/spy/whatever is that Castle started working with? That woman showed up originally as some kind of high-end investigative thing, then ended up with motherfucking mercenaries and sniping people during a police action by the dozen.. what the Christ?

Is she a spy? Is she a government agent? What the gently caress was she supposed to be? They literally never answered this unless it came up in the last 10 episodes (it may have). I thought she was some sort of corporate investigator until she called in armed soldiers and had no trouble wasting people.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 20, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Klungar posted:

Castle caused your parents to get divorced?

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

The quick cut to the ending was disappointing, but I'm still happy they didn't go ahead with the terrible plans for next season. This was much better.

And they didn't pull a HIMYM. So good.

IMO they should have gone the extra mile, pulled what cast they could over the weekend, and done the Cop Rock ending

Because even that'd been better than this poo poo. I'm still laughing how it was.

Oh Castle, I never thought this show would have been the one to break me but it did. I'm glad I came back for that stupid as hell ending though in hindsight, so incompetent.

PS: If you want to see how to say "gently caress you, we're out!" with an ending, watch the reboot TV show V ending. That poo poo was amazing. It was a middling show but oh man, that made it all worth it.

• Locked thread