Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

when's mahville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Congrats Double Take, your thread reached page 2 before Valiant's current thread could. I guess it's not poo poo--

Fuego Fish posted:

Five second rule! It's still good!

nevermind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Little Mac posted:

when's mahville

:golfclap:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I read up on the kickstarter (yes, this was kickstarted) and apparently these are all supposed to take place during the original Night of the Living Dead. :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So I read up on the kickstarter (yes, this was kickstarted) and apparently these are all supposed to take place during the original Night of the Living Dead. :psyduck:

I also read that but it sounds like they couldn't make that work.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

I also read that but it sounds like they couldn't make that work.

Read Rise and Soul

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I was brought into Double Take back in 2014 to write for the project from before it took a bizarre left turn into Dawn of the Dead spin off comics.

I quit earlier this year, Jan or Feb or something like that. The pay was amazing. Easily the best page rate I've seen in comics and that includes Marvel and DC. But the entire scope and point of the project changed weekly. Bill and the Double Take crew were great folks, but I was tired of writing new pages and rewriting old pages knowing no one was ever going to see any of them. And then it was threatening to get in the way of my real job, and I had to get out of there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hyperactive posted:

I was brought into Double Take back in 2014 to write for the project from before it took a bizarre left turn into Dawn of the Dead spin off comics.

I quit earlier this year, Jan or Feb or something like that. The pay was amazing. Easily the best page rate I've seen in comics and that includes Marvel and DC. But the entire scope and point of the project changed weekly. Bill and the Double Take crew were great folks, but I was tired of writing new pages and rewriting old pages knowing no one was ever going to see any of them. And then it was threatening to get in the way of my real job, and I had to get out of there.

Huh. That's actually really surprising to hear.

So...wait, what was the project before it was night of the living dead comics?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

Did you ever write for that f-bomb dropping little girl?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Did you ever write for that f-bomb dropping little girl?

You mean character of the year F-bomb dropping little girl.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

You mean character of the year F-bomb dropping little girl.
I will eat the sh#t out of you.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Blockhouse posted:

So...wait, what was the project before it was night of the living dead comics?
NDA.

redbackground posted:

Did you ever write for that [CHARACTER OF THE YEAR] f-bomb dropping little girl?
No, but she is amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dang. Oh well, now we have this amazing finished project to discuss instead!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Hyperactive posted:

I swear I haven't seen you post in at least a year, and this is what brings you out of hiding? I guess trainwrecks bring the world together.

Speaking of your real job (because I prefer to think happy thoughts), I bought up to volume 9 of Atomic Robo when it was on sale on Comixology a few weeks ago. Worth it, even though I'd already read most of it. Whatever you were doing for Double Take, I'm glad you didn't let it get in the way of doing your own thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

I swear I haven't seen you post in at least a year, and this is what brings you out of hiding? I guess trainwrecks bring the world together.

He posts in the AR thread all the time.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
That makes sense. That thread was already intimidatingly huge by the time I discovered it.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I've read a few of these comics now. I can't believe that it's so uniformly terrible, from concept to execution.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They got a movie deal.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/lionsgate-teams-with-double-take-comics-for-film-a/1100-153861/

quote:

Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), a premier next generation global content leader, is teaming with comic book publisher Double Take (2T), a subsidiary of leading video game developer and publisher Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), for the film adaptation of the graphic novel Z-Men, the two companies announced today.

Written by preeminent zombie creator Jeff McComsey, Z-Men is the flagship title in Double Take’s recently launched universe surrounding the classic horror franchise Night of the Living Dead.

“We’re delighted to expand our relationship with our friends at Take-Two by partnering with their comic book arm, Double Take, in bringing Z-Men to the big screen,” said Lionsgate Motion Picture Group Co-Chairs Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger. “We continue to diversify our portfolio with films adapted from novels, video games and board games and look forward to translating 2T’s graphic novel into a spine-chilling film for moviegoers and comic book fans alike. It is yet another example of the strong underlying intellectual property on which our film and television content is based.”

“We are pleased to expand our partnership with Lionsgate, who has the right team to bring to life on screen what Double Take brings to life in comics,” said Double Take General Manager Bill Jemas. “We look forward to seeing Lionsgate’s creativity transform the Z-Men story into an exciting feature film, and everyone on the Double Take team is incredibly enthused at this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

The deal was orchestrated by Lionsgate Motion Picture Group President of Business & Legal Affairs Patricia Laucella.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welp, time to break into the comics industry, since there is no barrier to success apparently.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hopefully swearing girl gets an Oscar nomination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it's pretty clear that they pulled a Cowboys vs Aliens with this as no Z-Men graphic novels exist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can't saw comic book in a press release!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Congrats to Jeff for winning the Survivor style grindhouse that is/was DT.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Is it too early to start fantasy casting?
The part if the swearing girl should be played by Amy Poehler Wet Hot American Summer style.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Blockhouse posted:

Why does one of these feature a loving invisible person?!

Are the cars in the background supposed to be parked?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I heard about this, some time after the Kickstarter I think. I was kinda excited, I mean, I love Night of the Living Dead, and so another sorta expanded universe thing? Sure, I'll look into it. Not astonishingly excited, mind you, I figured it would be... middling at best, but hey, something amusing is fine by me. Then a bit ago they released the first issue of Z-Men as promotion, and that's when my expectations just loving dropped. I didn't expect it to look so... amateurish. I grabbed them when they popped up for free on Comixology, so at the very least I gotta check out the one with Swearing Little Girl, thanks Double Take thread!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's an ad I just saw

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's an ad I just saw

Hahahahaha, love it.

Watching the sales fall on this company has been pretty hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hahahahaha, love it.

Watching the sales fall on this company has been pretty hilarious.

What do the print versions look like, just page after page of nine panel layouts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

What do the print versions look like, just page after page of nine panel layouts?

Essentially.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Hopefully swearing girl gets an Oscar nomination.

"I'd like to thank those old pricks in the Academy, my stupid parents, and of course, Jesus. Thanks pussies."

*orchestra swells*

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I'm half-tempted to buy these comics just to say I have them. How much do these abominations cost per issue?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm half-tempted to buy these comics just to say I have them. How much do these abominations cost per issue?

If you really want them here you go, about $18 plus shipping for all 10 issues. Per issue the #1s are $3 physical each so you save $12.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

As a person with a complete run of Street Poet Ray, I want to give this plan my strongest endorsement.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Squizzle posted:

As a person with a complete run of Street Poet Ray, I want to give this plan my strongest endorsement.

Word up.

That reminds me, I should keep an eye out for the complete run of U.S.1.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Hey guys remind me, at what point does a publishing company need to actually charge for their products?

Over the next few days, Double Take will have a free #2 for each of their series. If you're just learning about this now, you missed two already but I'm pretty sure the one with the swearing girl isn't one of them. So if anyone is curious to see if any lessons were learned from the #1 issues, now's your chance I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaz-L posted:

More than that. 4 out of 10 books with blatantly cheescake-y covers? Jemas knows that didn't help Marville, right?
I actually bought the Marville TPB because of the covers. At the time I was getting back into comics and buying a lot of stuff without doing any research, and expect it to be a nostalgia trip with, like, Peter Parker and Bruce Banner as Patsy Walker's neighbours.

It was...a trip. Of some kind.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Hey guys remind me, at what point does a publishing company need to actually charge for their products?

Over the next few days, Double Take will have a free #2 for each of their series. If you're just learning about this now, you missed two already but I'm pretty sure the one with the swearing girl isn't one of them. So if anyone is curious to see if any lessons were learned from the #1 issues, now's your chance I guess.

Wow things must be great at Double Take if they can just give books away! Jemas does it again!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've officially stopped ordering them as not a single one of the second issues has sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can you send me a copy of the gently caress girl comic?

• Locked thread