Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Zachack posted:

Is Swearing Girl's swearing ever explained? I read the first issue and it's just ridiculous.

"This comic isn't about anything."
"I hear that the kids like it when things 'go viral.' What can we change that might make it 'go viral?'"
"Twelve lines of dialogue in a comic inexplicably formatted like a Golden Book?"
"Done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Man, Evil Ernie got old

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Price Check posted:

Hey Goons.

Issue 5 of Swearing Girl (aka Home) is in stores now! As are the rest of the Double Take titles.

Enjoy!

I flipped through Home in the store this week, and there's some quality absurd profanity in there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The first trades are coming out and 'Home' isn't one of them? loving bullshit. I need to get the last three issues, they just snuck up on me.

Edit: vv Hey! There is a God! :v:

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 22, 2016

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

The first trades are coming out and 'Home' isn't one of them? loving bullshit. I need to get the last three issues, they just snuck up on me.

That article is wrong. Home is coming out as a trade.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
FYI goons, the trade paperback graphic novels are out now.

I know the response to the first issues here was full of, uh, constructive criticism. But for what it's worth the books improved from issue to issue and the graphic novels are full of improvements (especially to the artwork in the early issues of each series).

If nothing else, you can get the entire saga of Swearing Girl for $10.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How does this work in print? Is it just still 6 pages of the same picture with minor changes?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Barry books posted:

How does this work in print? Is it just still 6 pages of the same picture with minor changes?

The print version looks more like a regular comic book (non-ALL CAPS lettering aside - though this aspect tends to be a big negative for some). There is some repetition in the animated spots but it's not just a collection of the digital storyboards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Say it ain't so, Price Check!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/02/scoop-bill-jemass-double-take-close-end-month/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

OP, if you work at Double Take you should start looking for a new job.

Not even three months later. Everything this company released was garbage and there was clearly some manner of financial scam going on here.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The real question is 'when can I get these sad issues for free or cheap before they vanish forever?'

I kid...they'll probably make it into cheap bins but I don't think anybody bought these at all.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

I think it's appropriate to bring this back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The real question is 'when can I get these sad issues for free or cheap before they vanish forever?'

I kid...they'll probably make it into cheap bins but I don't think anybody bought these at all.

They've been dumping their poo poo on shops for free, it won't be too hard to track down.

Tommy2toes
Jun 27, 2004
cows go moo

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Have at it : https://doubletakeuniverse.com/internal/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I forget, did I mention all the free product these idiots kept shipping to shops? Ten free graphic novels under the agreement that we would destroy the single comics they collected (lol) and just a week ago a box of DOUBLE TAKE branded bags.

Too bad the bags were barely any bigger than a comic book and the hand holds were useless once you put any product in the bag.

Is it any wonder this company folded?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Are the trades out yet? I quickly looked at my local comic shop and didn't see any. drat it, I want to see how Home ends (and how much more swearing the little girl gets up to).

Also, PC Gamer reported on this because Double Take is owned by Take 2, and had this which briefly talks about the original plans to be a series of comics linking X-Com, Bioshock and Civilization. I could see X-Com and Bioshock, but Civ? God I hope we get a tell-all about this company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, they sent a bundle of ten trades (1 of each!) to any shop that carried their product with a letter saying pretty please throw away any remaining single comics and here's some trades in return.

I'm sure they'll attempt to send out invoices for them but most shops wisely just threw the books in the trash.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they sent a bundle of ten trades (1 of each!) to any shop that carried their product with a letter saying pretty please throw away any remaining single comics and here's some trades in return.

I'm sure they'll attempt to send out invoices for them but most shops wisely just threw the books in the trash.

Double Take: business practices so bad that the name implies your first response!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm half tempted to ask some businesses but honestly I'm not even sure if I want them for free.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Ah, the old "Cowboys and Dinosaurs" gambit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuba school sucks posted:

Ah, the old "Cowboys and Dinosaurs" gambit.

Wasn't it Cowboys and Aliens?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm pretty sure it was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Nah. C&D spun out of Xenozoic Tales. Unrelated to Cowboys and Aliens.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yeah that's right, Cowboys and Aliens. Rhyno was right, I was wrong. Heh, I wonder if Skippy (local comic store owner) still has those. Dude was selling them for 25 cents when the movie came out and he got rid of like four or five of them.

So this means we can look forward to Cuss Girl The Movie in 2018.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those things were worthless but when the movie dropped we were selling them on Amazon for $35 a pop.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Wait, you were being serious?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Wait, you were being serious?

Yup. The makers of that film sold the idea to the studio based on a mocked up cover and that was it. One of their claims was it sold X-thousand copies and then they had to prove it to get studio money so much like our friends here at Double Take they printed and shipped a fuckload of copies to every store via Diamond. And they were poo poo so most places threw them away. I squirreled them away to use as future freebies on FCBD but then the movie hit and the first prints that were considered garbage exploded in price. We made over $500 off that free garbage in under a week.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zachack posted:

Is Swearing Girl's swearing ever explained? I read the first issue and it's just ridiculous.

they were aliens all along

there, I've closed the arc of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So you know how Double Take was originally supposed to be making XCOM/Bioshock/Civilisation comics (possibly all in one universe...somehow)?

Turns out that Bleeding Cool got some concept art of the Bioshock stuff. Apparently Ken Levine (the guy behind Burial At Sea, mind you) wasn't a fan.

I think the idea was:
1)Double Take makes comics based on 2k's IP
2)???
3)Profit!

Obviously then the guys who made the games were for some reason reluctant to entrust Bill Jemas with their IP, so the zombies angle was come up with to try and piggyback off the trend (and then presumably say 'see, we can make comics that sell, now let us make comics of your stuff' to the games people). which obviously didn't happen.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread