Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Voynich Hotel by Dowman Sayman

What's the deal with this thread?

This thread is the second in a line of threads dedicated to getting other people to read the manga you read buy enticing them with interest-piquing images. Think of it as a sort of reverse recommendations thread where instead of asking what's good, people hand out free samples.

Ran and the Gray World / Ran to Haiiro no Sekai by Irie Aki

Where did it come from?

The idea for this thread was stolen borrowed from a recurring thread on 4chan's /a/ board where, much like the title suggests, people tried to get other people to read stuff by posting a single image they felt in some way encapsulated or properly showed off the series in question. It's a neat idea, I think, though we've tweaked it some.

Imperial Guards / Koukoku no Shugosha by Satou Daisuke and Itou Yuu

Can I really only use one image?

Well, yes and no. I haven't been, as you can see. Convincing people to read a manga in one "Scene" might be a better description.

The problem with limiting people to a single page, a single image, is that sometimes you get comics that aren't so easily compacted. Either they've got no single image that really shouts "Yes, this is what the series is and what it's about," or they do but it requires a few pages of setup to get there. At the same time, however, I like the spirit of the one image rule because it forces people to come up with the equivalent of an elevator pitch to hook people instead of posting long walls of text about why you should read something accompanied by a dozen images from across the series.

The compromise, then, is get people hooked with a single scene. Sometimes that means a single page, sometimes it means a couple. I'm willing to be flexible, just don't post whole chapters.

Pandemonium: The Village of Wizards / Pandemonium: Majutsushi no Mura by Shibamoto Sho

What kind of stuff is good to post?

Depends. Personally, I really like pages that show off the art of the series.

Reading something action-y? Post a cool fight sequence. Reading a romance? Post something that makes your hear melt. Reading a comedy? Post something funny. Reading something really weird? Post something out of context!

If you're considering posting a more dramatic or poignant moment, however, consider first whether it carries any emotional weight in a vacuum. A lot of people use threads like these to learn about series they'd otherwise miss out on, so posting the gripping conclusion to a character's arc may not grab someone who isn't familiar with everything leading up to that point.

It should go without saying that you shouldn't post spoilers.

Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa / Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa by Fukumoto Nobuyuki

Anything else I should be aware of?

Images should be SFW (even if the series in question isn't) and posted in [timg] format if you're posting a bunch. Additionally, you should provide a name for whatever series you're posting. If the manga you're sharing is unlicensed, I will permit the inclusion of links to sites where it may be read. If the manga you're sharing IS licensed, I will probate you for doing this. For the sake of simplicity, anything available in print in English counts as licensed. Sorry to all our French, German, Korean posters, etc.

While there isn't a moratorium on any particular series being posted, I'd like to ask that you guys shy away from more mainstream material. Most people are familiar with things like One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Attack on Titan, so maybe don't post things I've seen people wear shirts and jackets from in college. Seriously, I spent a semester behind a guy who openly wore a scouting legion jacket to class. Consider instead posting stuff maybe not everyone has already read or discovered, or might not give the time of day to ordinarily.

Finally, before you recommend anything, I would like to ask that you first scroll up the page to see whether or not it's been recommended recently. I don't mind a few different people recommending the same series with different images over the course of the thread, but I've seen two to five people post the same series on the same page of the old thread. Don't do that!

:supaburn: :siren: DON'T HOTLINK IMAGES!!! :siren: :supaburn:

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
:firstpost:

Is it cool to post single pictures from otherwise terrible series like people did from time to time last thread or are we trying to avoid that now?

Either way I'll start with a great manga that, while probably somewhat well known, is much overshadowed by the creator's next work.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro made by the same person as Assassination Classroom.

It's part mystery, part shounen battle manga.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Dungeon Meshi in one image

I like the new multi-page rule though. Hopefully we can avoid the worst single image recommendations like the last thread had.

Also people should post links to scanlations if they aren't published elsewhere

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 16, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There is no image.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fellis posted:

Also people should post links to scanlations if they aren't published elsewhere
I've already made allowances for this in the OP.

Also,

Sharkopath posted:

There is no image.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There was the first time I looked but he seems to have edited it out. :confused:

Maybe he was leeching or something.

Anyways, one of my favorites from the last thread was the all too short

Hoshi no Ponko to Toufuya Reiko

though I dislike that trope of "well, it's a clone of someone so it's just as good right?

e: Oh yeah note there's a few NWS pages in it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Sharkopath posted:

There is no image.

Anatharon posted:

There was the first time I looked but he seems to have edited it out. :confused:

Maybe he was leeching or something.

felt i should edit the page a bit to avoid some spoiler. or i'm just retarded

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kingdom of Gems

Weirdly got an anime PV promoting the manga too.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 16, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes!! love that manga

here's one of my favorite pages from it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can we have a rule that if you're posting more then one page, tinyurl it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Read the OP.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Shigurui, a manga based on a novel that makes no attempt to sugarcoat what tremendous psychopaths the samurai were, while still being incredibly badass. As the work itself puts it, "The [Japanese] feudal society, in its perfect form, was comprised of a small number of sadists and a large number of masochists."

Also, tigers and dragons.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Battlefield A collection of WW2 short stories by Kazuhiko Shimamoto

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Hatarakanai Futari (The Jobless Siblings)

Pair of shut in siblings who still live at home. Some of the chapters are really short, like that's the entirety of chapter 16.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
I have been reading Buddha by Tezuka

Its great.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Haikyuu!!

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 19, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Shut Hell

Our heroine ladies and gentlemen!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The problem with limiting people to a single page, a single image, is that sometimes you get comics that aren't so easily compacted.

Gas

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I Am A Hero

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The Flying Witch

Teenage witch goes to rural country town and has witch shenanigans.

Real Clothes

Woman goes from sales manager of regular goods at a department store to a major buyer in the fashion industry. Translators seemed to have dropped it for a while, but it seems someone has picked it up again.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 16, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Manga is the Japanese word for comics, hope this helps.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think you mean comics is the English word for manga

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Hakoiri Drops is a story about a sheltered homeschooled girl who winds up in normal school for the first time. She's kinda naive.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko is very good, go read it.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Pluto is about robots

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyone here has probably read it but Riki-oh is a manga about a man who punches people so they explode and nazi's and jews or something i forget its been a while since I read it

everyone should read tough that i'm failing to find a good picture of that is like grappler baki but by the artist who did riki-oh and the art is vastly improved

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The art in Baki is already perfect though, you can't get better than perfection

Unless by vastly improved you mean compared to Rikioh in which case yeah, Saruwatari got a lot better in the years since then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah i meant compared to riki-oh but the baki art also improved a lot

edit: i watched some of the planetes anime and can't remember where I got to but it was very different to the manga and everyone should read that

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 16, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Good thinking editing out that image link to the manga reading site, it probably wouldn't have circumvented the probation

Might as well throw in another vote for Shut Hell.

I'm glad someone picked the translations up again, they stopped for a couple of years somewhere. I love the (kinda) main character's descent into madness, and i love the way the author draws these crazy distorted eyes. I herd people say they're ugly, but i find them fitting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Bokurano is the anti-Gurren Lagaan.

or comedy answer

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gantz

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The Voynich Hotel by Dowman Sayman

Dowman Sayman has such a great style. I didn't know he had a legitimate series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Voynich Hotel got canned and ended super abruptly, didn't it? I barely even remember at this point, that's how barely there the ending was.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Felt like a natural enough ending to me. Pretty much everything was wrapped up neatly.

Wish we could've had one last scene with the cook and the hotel manager together but I wouldn't really consider that a dangling plot thread or anything.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I think it was put on hiatus for like half a year so people thought it was canned, but it had a decent ending.

Also it's really good.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Stratocracy of Altair/Shoukoku no Altair

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Ashita No Ousama

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 19, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yuyushiki is another 4-panel manga about stupid kids being stupid.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just about sums up all of the manga, although it's also a little funny that they didn't show the second scene you linked on TV.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Anatharon posted:

Bokurano is the anti-Gurren Lagaan.

or comedy answer

Bokurano is amazing but will bum you right the gently caress out.

• Locked thread