Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Boku Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Gantz

never fart

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

Shigurui, a manga based on a novel that makes no attempt to sugarcoat what tremendous psychopaths the samurai were, while still being incredibly badass. As the work itself puts it, "The [Japanese] feudal society, in its perfect form, was comprised of a small number of sadists and a large number of masochists."

It's really good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sen to Man, a single dad manga where he's raising a middle schooler, it's adorable as hell and sometimes hits the mark just a little too well

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kin posted:

Bokurano is amazing but will bum you right the gently caress out.

Bokurano in a nutshell:

:siren: massivee ol' spoilers:siren:
http://i7.mangareader.net/bokurano/60/bokurano-277537.jpg

Watch the anime afterwards, it's slightly (SLIGHTLY) less depressing.

The light novels aren't really worth tracking down, they're not as good as the anime/manga and most of the 'translations' floating around are completely wrong.

I think it's the only manga I've read where I thought "man I wish the ending pulled a deus ex machina."

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 19, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't Bokurano the one where they're horsing around on top of the giant robot and someone just falls right off and dies

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Bokurano the one where they're horsing around on top of the giant robot and someone just falls right off and dies

No, that's something else.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

It is, but there's more to that scene than is immediately apparent.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

you're gonna ruin it, shut up nerd!!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

you're gonna ruin it, shut up nerd!!!

I think it is mean to lie to others about anime.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Droyer posted:

I think it is mean to lie to others about anime.

Nobody falls off and then dies, though, so you're the one who is lying. :smuggo:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Nobody falls off and then dies, though, so you're the one who is lying. :smuggo:

this is true.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Anatharon I realize you're doing this inadvertently, but Bokurano is a licensed series so please stop hotlinking images with watermarks leading to where they can be read online.

EDIT: Really you guys shouldn't be hotlinking in general, but especially not in this case. I'll add it to the OP.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Great Anime Crackdown has begun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
First they came for the anime

then my life lost all meaning

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Distant Sky

A horror Manhwa which is very comparable to Dragon Head. Much more interesting apocalypse scenario, but somewhat less deep and engrossing themes.

It's in a web Manhwa format, so make sure you read it with a viewer that can display all the pages at once vertically (Kissmanga, etc).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Some faves of mine, hopefully not all super obviously known. Huge Jiro Matsumoto fan if you haven't noticed, he can get a bit (well, more than a bit...) obscene at times which usually isn't my thing but drat if a lot of his series aren't uniquely beautiful.

Freesia

Destroy and Revolution :jihad::nyoron:

Solanin

Kokou no Hito

Ito Junji's Cat Diary

Uncivilized Planet

Wanitokagegisu

Boku to Issho

Jigoku no Alice

Tropical Citron

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I have such conflicted emotions about Freesia. On the one hand, I want to say it's really good and clever with interesting characters, on the other hand I kind of want it to go gently caress itself.

I also have all of Solanin just sitting nearby waiting to be read but I can't bring myself to get past the first chapter since it reeks of one of those manga where horrible poo poo happens to the main character. Am I just being a baby?

edit: Oh hey it's from the same author of punpun which I also can't bring myself to read so yeah.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Distant Sky

A horror Manhwa which is very comparable to Dragon Head. Much more interesting apocalypse scenario, but somewhat less deep and engrossing themes.

It's in a web Manhwa format, so make sure you read it with a viewer that can display all the pages at once vertically (Kissmanga, etc).

Don't read it on Kissmanga. It has an actual legitimate official English version at webtoons.com so read it there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Distant Sky

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Don't read it on Kissmanga. It has an actual legitimate official English version at webtoons.com so read it there.

What sucks is that a few chapters of Distant Sky actually have music, but this apparently didn't get added to the Webtoons.com version. Which is strange, cause I'm sure Webtoons.com has that capability. They're using it for the Chillers series, which y'all should check out. It's an anthology of horror one-shots by Naver artists. With animations and BGM.

Here's an example from Chapter 6. Gotta scroll a bit down before you can hear the music. The translation includes the Story, Art, and Produced by parts but not the Music by part, and is missing the BGM as well.

Music might not work on Chrome, in which case you should try IE cause Koreans live by that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Leper Residue posted:

I have such conflicted emotions about Freesia. On the one hand, I want to say it's really good and clever with interesting characters, on the other hand I kind of want it to go gently caress itself.

I also have all of Solanin just sitting nearby waiting to be read but I can't bring myself to get past the first chapter since it reeks of one of those manga where horrible poo poo happens to the main character. Am I just being a baby?

edit: Oh hey it's from the same author of punpun which I also can't bring myself to read so yeah.

I've read both of these. Punpun is really depressing and will get to you, so I'd say stay away from that (Even though I love it to death). But Solanin, while having depressing elements, I would actually say it has an uplifting ending and is totally worth reading. You can easily finish it in a couple of hours.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone link one of the pages of gash bell with the funny faces since i've no idea where to find them

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's pretty much every page.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary

(this is absolutely unrelated to what the series actually is, but man I love me some four-page spreads)

Here's a good question for ya about cyclopses

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 21, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

All terrible

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two chapters in and this is really stupid but it's a good stupid I think

edit: well this goes places, and before even hitting 20 chapters, even. Didn't expect that!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 23, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Keyman by Warai Naku

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 44all the chapters involving Tamako of boku girl might be the funniest chapters of a manga I've ever read

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 23, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hyakki Yakoushou

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Chapter 44all the chapters involving Tamako of boku girl might be the funniest chapters of a manga I've ever read

Dude pulls some amazing faces.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction

I honestly have absolutely no idea where this series will go. Seems like the author, Inio Asano, doesn't either, judging by the fairly frequent breaks he keeps taking to I presume figure out what to do next.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Blazing Ninjaman

I don't think this is good advice, dude :stare:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

Hyakki Yakoushou

Thanks, I'm halfway through the available chapters, and it's great!

Another entry in the magical realism category that I think was recommended in the previous incarnation of this thread is Rin by Harold Sakuishi, mainly known for Beck. A teenage mangaka is starting his career and has to choose between two girls (pictured here, the titular Rin):

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grim Up North posted:

Thanks, I'm halfway through the available chapters, and it's great!

:cheerdoge:

I hate that there isn't more because I'm at the end of what's translated. Apparently the group working on it hasn't dropped the project but they can't get anyone to translate it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Shinozaki-san Ki o Ota Shika ni!

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
My Name is Shingo:

---

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
oh man new thread rules, my image folder one single images is suddenly horridly insufficient. Oh well, here's a cute thing.

Game Over

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Choujin Gakuen by Yousuke Kokuzawa

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Tamen de Gushi (Their Story):

7 Seeds:

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo