Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
At least it ended well, instead of a terrible rush job or just straight up not having an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still sad that T-rex girl manga stopped out of the blue like that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
everyone should read lone wolf and cub imo

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
So long as they keep showing up in Kimetsu no Yaiba I'm going to keep posting these mice.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Jose posted:

everyone should read lone wolf and cub imo

Post an image and we might.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Lone Wolf and Cub

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd not recommend trying to read it if you're tripping balls it wasn't very pleasant

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I could use something interesting to read. Preferrably something with some action, but also avoiding fanservicey stuff. I often prefer more fantastic or sci-fi series to more realistic ones. Any suggestions?

I've caught up recently on the following : Dungeon Meshi, Black Clover, Dr Stone, Hungry Marie, My Hero Academia, OPM, Jitsu Wa, and I keep up with a half dozen korean manhwa. I'm currently reading Teppu but since it doesn't seem super long I anticipate needing more to read soon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

khy posted:

I could use something interesting to read. Preferrably something with some action, but also avoiding fanservicey stuff. I often prefer more fantastic or sci-fi series to more realistic ones. Any suggestions?

I've caught up recently on the following : Dungeon Meshi, Black Clover, Dr Stone, Hungry Marie, My Hero Academia, OPM, Jitsu Wa, and I keep up with a half dozen korean manhwa. I'm currently reading Teppu but since it doesn't seem super long I anticipate needing more to read soon.

Toriko

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Obligatory Hunter x Hunter.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Are korean manhwa respected in Japan? Or is it like "ugh, we're not reading this foreigner stuff".

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

khy posted:

Preferrably something with some action, but also avoiding fanservicey stuff. I often prefer more fantastic or sci-fi series to more realistic ones. Any suggestions?

Have you read Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction? It guess it's pretty real-worldey most of the time, but it's a sci-fi that mostly centers around the lives of a few high school - college age people living in a near future Tokyo with a giant alien spacecraft hanging over the city and occasionally sending down "invaders". There's a smattering of violence and action once you get into it further, the plot builds well, the author (Inio Asano, amazing artist) gets into a lot of cynical political/social commentary, and the characters are really fun. One of my favorite ongoing series, though it might end in some horribly depressing way like the authors' other work.

edit: Seconding Nate's rec below, Yona is a great fantasy series.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

khy posted:

It may be shoujo rather than shounen/seinen, but Akatsuki no Yona / Yona of the Dawn is in my view the best current action/fantasy mangas currently in serialization. The cast, art, plot, and action are all superlative.

I will also throw out my own "obligatory" rec in case you haven't read them before in the three main Satoshi Mizukami works (Biscuit Hammer, Sengoku Youko, and Spirit Circle), all of which were incredible and finished super strongly as well without overstaying their welcome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

khy posted:

you should read........One Piece!!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Have you read Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction? It guess it's pretty real-worldey most of the time, but it's a sci-fi that mostly centers around the lives of a few high school - college age people living in a near future Tokyo with a giant alien spacecraft hanging over the city and occasionally sending down "invaders". There's a smattering of violence and action once you get into it further, the plot builds well, the author (Inio Asano, amazing artist) gets into a lot of cynical political/social commentary, and the characters are really fun. One of my favorite ongoing series, though it might end in some horribly depressing way like the authors' other work.

At this point I think I'd be surprised if it doesn't end in a depressing way.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

khy posted:

How do you feel about psychological thrillers? There's action, but more in the form of people doing crazy things instead of physical action. If you're cool with that, quantum physics, and a murder mystery then you'll love Qualia the Purple

It's only 18 chapters (and finished!) but each chapter is like 30 pages. It's also pretty nuts and quite a ride from the first major twist.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mentat Radnor posted:

I started on it when it came out, but gave up eventually because the plot felt so convoluted that it was just too big of a tangled mess to try to follow. Could be a translation issue, or a brain issue, or a manga issue, I don't know. Otherwise Inio Asano does really good (and depressing) work and the art is always real fun.

Oyasumi Punpun is amazing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Once it reveals what's going on Dedededede's plot is actually really simple.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Are korean manhwa respected in Japan? Or is it like "ugh, we're not reading this foreigner stuff".

i read the webtoons tower of god, noblesse, god of high school and the gamer. you'll find you might not like them all but god of high school is really god action and tower of god is really good generally

i read these all through the webotons phone app while making GBS threads at work

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

i read the webtoons tower of god, noblesse, god of high school and the gamer. you'll find you might not like them all but god of high school is really god action and tower of god is really good generally

i read these all through the webotons phone app while making GBS threads at work

You should add Magician to this list.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Could someone recomend me mangas/artists that are really good at conveying action sequences? I was told to start with Dragonball Z, but there are probably other (better?) examples out there.

e: couldn't find a general manga q's thread

Toriyama is so skilled. You probably can't get any better than Dragonball.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Thanks all, some good suggestions there. Someone else mentioned Gantz to me, so I'm reading that now, although the examples itt seem to be more action-y. Has a weird negative atmosphere though.

Gantz is great (even in the later chapters!) but I feel like the only person in this forum who has ever gone to bat for that particular manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are people's quintessential manga recommendations? For me, the one I always go to as a failsafe recommendation has been Hotel. It's a one-shot about humanity wiping itself out but leaving a monument, the "Hotel", manned solely by a learning AI that monitors the place. It's a really fantastic concept and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's not a perfect story, but it's told really well in its short 42 page span.

Yes, the human characters are...loving weird, but they're out of the picture pretty fast. None of the other chapters are by the original author and aren't part of the one-shot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Strongest Man Kurosawa is definitely the one I'd rec to any possible category of person

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

What are people's quintessential manga recommendations? For me, the one I always go to as a failsafe recommendation has been Hotel. It's a one-shot about humanity wiping itself out but leaving a monument, the "Hotel", manned solely by a learning AI that monitors the place. It's a really fantastic concept and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's not a perfect story, but it's told really well in its short 42 page span.

Yes, the human characters are...loving weird, but they're out of the picture pretty fast. None of the other chapters are by the original author and aren't part of the one-shot.

I just want to chime in and say that, if anyone still hasn't read this, READ IT.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the idea of a quintessential recommendation just seems annoying to me

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In that case, I recommend you watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dogsicle posted:

My brain always shuts down when I try and pick a single series to recommend to people. Too many criteria to consider.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

dogsicle posted:

I would have agreed before I had read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa. Now that I've read that I can recommend it to anyone just because of the reaction faces alone.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

khy posted:

I would have agreed before I had read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa. Now that I've read that I can recommend it to anyone just because of the reaction faces alone.

between Kurosawa above and now this suggestion of Monster Secret, the thread has gone two for three on reinforcing my belief in my post

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Dad, the Beard Gorilla, and I

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pewdiepie posted:

Gantz is great (even in the later chapters!) but I feel like the only person in this forum who has ever gone to bat for that particular manga.

Gantz is cool, but only because its so incredibly stupid

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:nws: for alien pussy but this is the best panel of gantz

http://i996.mangareader.net/gantz/369/gantz-3516011.jpg

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Meme Emulator posted:

Gantz is cool, but only because its so incredibly stupid

It was legitimately good for a little while after everyone but the main character died. I think it started going downhill after the vampires disappeared from the story.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Plutonis posted:

:nws: for alien pussy but this is the best panel of gantz

http://i996.mangareader.net/gantz/369/gantz-3516011.jpg

lol

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I binged through Gantz in a single weekend and it was one hell of a ride, though I imagine that final arc would have been horrible to read one week at a time.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RatHat posted:

It was legitimately good for a little while after everyone but the main character died. I think it started going downhill after the vampires disappeared from the story.

Yea, the problem with something liek gantz is taht everyone eventually feels compelled to epxlain all the mysteries, and then it gets bad.

Like, cant we ever just have a wierd setting thats just wierd and we dont need to go into detail about how the Island is actually purgatory when telling stories? 99% of the time explaining your crazy setting ruins the story.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Like, cant we ever just have a wierd setting thats just wierd and we dont need to go into detail about how the Island is actually purgatory when telling stories? 99% of the time explaining your crazy setting ruins the story.

Agreed. A good example is Haibane Renmei; the setting stays compelling and interesting because the audience never gets any omniscient-viewpoint explanations, so we get to empathize more with the characters who are equally confused and unsure about everything.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

dogsicle posted:

I don't know if 'quintessential recommendation' is a good term at all but lots of people have a favorite they'll gush about at the drop of a hat, and given that this is basically 'gush about your favorites: the thread' it's not out of place.

Like, if a guy says 'what would i like given my preferences' it's dumb to just blindly rec the same thing to anyone but if someone comes in 'hey, what's something cool to read' a lot of people would just list out their absolute favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I suppose if I had to rec something to Generic Person X who doesn't know what they want, it would be Hinamatsuri.

None of these people are main characters and the manga isn't about school life, but the author doesn't walk away from telling a good joke.

• Locked thread