Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is my pride and joy rite here:

They really don't make them like they used to. The workshop manual for this is more complicated than the workshop manual for my BMW. You need some serious skill and experience to maintenance/calibrate these things.

I got it working when I first got it, got everything roughly adjusted, and re-soldered the tape playback head in reverse because the front channels (quadraphonic baby!) were shot and I wanted to get sound out of it. Now as long as you connect your RCAs to the rear outputs you get proper sound. It still doesn't sound great, surely because it needs to be recapped. I'm not touching it though, and I'll never plug it in again until it gets recapped and refurbed by a pro one day.

It's absolutely immaculate on the inside, I'm almost positive I'm the first person ever to open it up. The whole unit is in 99/100 condition, not a scratch on it anywhere. The build quality on these is insane, the toggle switches are like something off a fighter jet and they move with a satisfying clunk. The knobs are very heavy and precise feeling and the whole thing just has an air of high-end equipment. I just keep it around as decoration in my living room (not shown, my Technics 1200s and Technics speakers), but I'll do something with it some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Very cool video
That Akai is beautiful.

• Locked thread