Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

keevo posted:

Haha you have to watch BFG.

so I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Can we fast forward to the part of the playoffs where everyone tries to murder Brad Keselowski after each race?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

mearn posted:

Can we fast forward to the part of the playoffs where everyone tries to murder Brad Keselowski after each race?

I believe Brad Keselowski Open Season starts next week.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 5, 2015

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
As we were saying in the chat; this system is drat exciting and tense, but it's completely contrived. When a single position makes the difference between advancing or not it creates the drama that NASCAR wants. But it's so forced that it feels like cheating.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
any points system is contrived

reminder that NASCAR modified points used to be set by individual track promoter's discretion

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Bound For Glory was pretty much an average NASCAR race. BOring with an ending that left me scratching my head.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dale Jr. unveiled his 2016 TaxSlayer paint scheme and it is good:

Not as good as Regan Smith's Xfinity car, but good in its own right.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I like that it should stand out when viewed from afar on tv.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kind of looks like it could be a tobacco company livery. So in other words it looks great.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not bad. Junior said it was based on his dad's 1987 Wrangler car, but it reminds me more of Jeff Fuller's 1996 Phoenix Racing Chevy:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LASTCAR posted:

Not bad. Junior said it was based on his dad's 1987 Wrangler car, but it reminds me more of Jeff Fuller's 1996 Phoenix Racing Chevy:

So it's like Chase Elliott's Darlington car where it has to be explained because it resembles vaguely the way the Wrangler car was laid out?

Maybe the Axalta car can be blue and yellow: http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/58892/axalta-extends-relationship-becomes-a-primary-sponsor-of-no-88-team

...Junyer wins Axalta in the Jeff Gordon Sponsorship Dispersal Contest and they add three races. I wonder how that works.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

So it's like Chase Elliott's Darlington car where it has to be explained because it resembles vaguely the way the Wrangler car was laid out?

Maybe the Axalta car can be blue and yellow: http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/58892/axalta-extends-relationship-becomes-a-primary-sponsor-of-no-88-team

...Junyer wins Axalta in the Jeff Gordon Sponsorship Dispersal Contest and they add three races. I wonder how that works.

My guess is KBB isn't returning for their two races.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Muddy Burphy posted:

My guess is KBB isn't returning for their two races.

normally I would've been able to find this out but I just quit my job with Manheim haha

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

normally I would've been able to find this out but I just quit my job with Manheim haha

"That's bullshit."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that was basically the look on my face on the drive home every night for the past year or so, yeah

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Boomer The Cannon posted:

"That's bullshit."

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Holds record for most NASCAR championships.

Will be most remembered for a gif.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I was just able to finish watching the race tonight after work and as loving stupid as the points system is, why not just let Jamie McMurray move on to the next round? NASCAR has been making it up as they go forever so why not just move him into the next round? I don't think either Jr. or Jamie will have what it takes to win the championship and if I were to put my money on 1 of the 2 it would be Jr. but, considering Jr. started the chase with bonus points from 2 wins and McMurray didn't, McMurray technically had a better first segment than Jr. He only had to make up 6 points but he did it. In the end I guess it doesn't matter and why I'm going to bat for Jamie so hard right now I have no idea but in the grand scheme of things I don't see the harm in making it The Contender 13, or 14, or 16 for all I care if they all loving tie.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What if they created a points system where everyone is eligible for the championship at all times and we simply assign a number of points per race based on your result? Shocking that.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What if they created a points system where everyone is eligible for the championship at all times and we simply assign a number of points per race based on your result? Shocking that.

I can't wait until they loving give up and go back to this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if people stopped whining and quit watching stuff they hate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

quote:

Dover TV Ratings: For the fourth straight week, NASCAR failed to attract 2% of metered market households. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Dover, the third race in the Chase For the Cup, drew a 1.8 overnight rating on NBCSN Sunday afternoon - down 14% from last year (2.1) and down 18% from 2013 (2.2), both of which aired on ESPN. The 1.8 is tied as the fourth-lowest Sprint Cup overnight of the season. Five of the past six Sprint Cup races have had less than a 2.0 overnight, with New Hampshire (1.7), Chicago (1.8), Richmond (1.7) and Bristol (1.9) joining Sunday's race. Overnight ratings have now declined for 16 of 17 Sprint Cup races on cable this season, with Kentucky in July the lone exception. That race, which was even in the metered markets, ended up declining in the final tally. There are only two more races on cable this season, Talladega at the end of the month and Martinsville in November.(Sports Media Watch)(10-6-2015)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
So this is the time of year when NASCAR is only going to be able to count on hardcore racing fans to watch, and a lot of those fans absolutely despise the on-track racing product.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

skaboomizzy posted:

So this is the time of year when NASCAR is only going to be able to count on hardcore racing fans to watch, and a lot of those fans absolutely despise the on-track racing product.

They gave us a taste of something good and while I sort of understand their reasoning behind keeping the current package for the chase, I still think it was the wrong move. Here's to hoping 2016 is low down force and tire fall off at all tracks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

I only quit watching NASCAR cause I hate the NFL more.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

You do know what thread you are in right? NASCAR 2015: Nobody watches, everybody hates. I don't actually hate even if I think the points system sucks. Hell I finished watching Dover after I already knew who won and that JJ was out. I guess I just hate myself.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
We watch it and hate it together. We're like a family.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The NASCAR playoff system emphasizes winning. Which is why despite not winning a race since the Brickyard two years ago Ryan Newman is in the playoffs again this year after almost winning the championship last year.

Matt, Kyle and Jimmie go into the playoffs tied with most wins at four apiece. Matt wins again and is locked into the next round. Kyle does okay and advances while Jimmie has a bad race and is eliminated while Ryan "Winless" Newman and Jeff "Is It Over Yet?" Gordon advance. Those four wins Jimmie had sure were important.

I stop watching when NFL starts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't see any problem with Newman and Gordon advancing, they made the playoffs and did what they had to do. It's like other sports in the sense that there's going to be upsets. In hockey for instance, the team with the best regular season record rarely ever wins the Stanley Cup. The seasons are long, people get hot, people bottom out, people get lucky. It's the nature of the beast.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Heathen posted:

The NASCAR playoff system emphasizes winning. Which is why despite not winning a race since the Brickyard two years ago Ryan Newman is in the playoffs again this year after almost winning the championship last year.

Matt, Kyle and Jimmie go into the playoffs tied with most wins at four apiece. Matt wins again and is locked into the next round. Kyle does okay and advances while Jimmie has a bad race and is eliminated while Ryan "Winless" Newman and Jeff "Is It Over Yet?" Gordon advance. Those four wins Jimmie had sure were important.

I stop watching when NFL starts.

They were just as important as a dominant NFL team's wins when they're eliminated by a 7-9 team.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

shyduck posted:

I don't see any problem with Newman and Gordon advancing, they made the playoffs and did what they had to do. It's like other sports in the sense that there's going to be upsets. In hockey for instance, the team with the best regular season record rarely ever wins the Stanley Cup. The seasons are long, people get hot, people bottom out, people get lucky. It's the nature of the beast.

But in other sports you aren't also competing in the playoffs against teams that didn't make the playoffs, and where those teams can have an effect on your chances. Whereas in NASCAR a lapped car might break its suspension and take your car out of the race, thereby ending your championship chase.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's always been part of the deal though, since cars started racing each other. They'll never get around that short of just putting chase cars on the track, which will probably never happen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Despite MWR coming apart at the seams, Michael Waltrip still has sponsorship from Maxwell House and may run the 500 and Talladega in his own cars next year.

E- Apparently MWR doesn't officially close until next April.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Despite MWR coming apart at the seams, Michael Waltrip still has sponsorship from Maxwell House and may run the 500 and Talladega in his own cars next year.

E- Apparently MWR doesn't officially close until next April.

He'll be in the 98 for "Premium Motorsports"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

How many people actually watch the races in this thread? 5 or 6?

I have watched like 100 laps all season.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Peanut President posted:

How many people actually watch the races in this thread? 5 or 6?

I have watched like 100 laps all season.
I watch almost all of them, but I mean, watching NASCAR races is easy - I think if you're intently staring at the screen, never blinking, you're kinda taking it a little too seriously. I just have the race on while I do Things.

Also, as to why "what if people stopped whining and quit watching stuff they hate" - I enjoy stock car racing, why would I let NASCAR prevent me from watching what I like? It's like the NFL - the NFL is a monstrous organization, the American football is probably the best of the big four sports right now. The sport and how it is currently organized are two different things.

Lewis Black quote: "The NFL has done everything since the inception of Super Bowl to try and make it unwatchable. gently caress you, I'm going to watch it anyway."

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I mean using the race as a screensaver on your tv doesn't really count as "watching" does it? Otherwise I watched the windows 2000 logo spinning in black space for like 5000 hours when I was in High School.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I watch pretty much every race, but I haven't watched a live race, except for Daytona 500's, for years. DVR all the way. I don't think I could watch every race of a whole season if I had to watch them live. Especially when some tracks get all strung out and they do that thing where they take a commercial, come back for 4 laps or so to tell you that nothing happened what so ever and then take another commercial. Fast forward is your friend. Watching the 500's live is out of protest but when a guy you race with has a million dollar home and a 500 party every year, you go.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I make a habit of putting the race on while I do other stuff, that said I usually don't sit down and watch until like 30 to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I watch most every Cup and most Truck races and I do so not giving a poo poo about the France family, feeling enough of a sense of appreciation for drivers/crews/teams/media to keep going. There's enough enjoyment/sentimentality there to keep it going (a Stockholm Syndrome close to why I still enjoy races at Charlotte having gone there for years despite racing there not being great) and, unless there's a more intriguing NFL game on, I'll watch the race with the NFL in the background. The problem is I don't think NASCAR ever realized there were people like me in their quest to be Number One. I don't think I've watched an entire NXS season since probably 2005.

(e- Admittedly, without IRC and this thread and its fans to talk to, it would probably be significantly more boring.)

I guess I see it as like some episodes of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, where you can't blame the wait staff, bartender, or kitchen staff when the owners are cripplingly stupid. Unfortunately, these metaphorical restauranteurs have infinite funding and will never hear what the customers are telling them to improve.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 8, 2015

• Locked thread