Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dabir posted:

It was an offhand thing in the classic series, which barely got halfway past the limit.
As compared to the newest series which reached it in not even half the time with half as many Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Well good to know! Thanks guys!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
OK, so to summarise:

Roger Delgado was killed in a car accident 1973, and when they decided to bring the Master back they had Peter Pratt play a shambling, corpse like version - which Robert Holmes explained as happening because he had reached his regeneration limit. This idea had been bubbling around for a while in Bob Holmes's head, because part of the things he did when editing the gently caress out of The Brain of Morbius was to insert 8 additional faces, intended to be the Doctor's previous selves. For those of you keeping up, this means that Tom Baker was actually Doctor number 12.

Later on, Bob Holmes wrote the regeneration story for the Fifth (13th) Doctor, and in Holmes's own version of Doctor Who canon this was a regeneration that wasn't supposed to happen - hence lines like "Is this death?". He then regenerated anyway, and was a bit unstable and that was the end of it.

However, the obsession with continuity that was introduced under JNT and Saward, and embodied in the fans of the 90's - including those who wrote the NAs - made this into one of the Firm Things That Is Known About Time Lords, what with it being mentioned in more than one story (!) and so we had the regeneration into Capaldi that we got

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was good of Moffat to get the regeneration limit out of the way, as of Capaldi it can now be safely ignored forever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It could be safely ignored anyway!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK, so to summarise:

Roger Delgado was killed in a car accident 1973, and when they decided to bring the Master back they had Peter Pratt play a shambling, corpse like version - which Robert Holmes explained as happening because he had reached his regeneration limit. This idea had been bubbling around for a while in Bob Holmes's head, because part of the things he did when editing the gently caress out of The Brain of Morbius was to insert 8 additional faces, intended to be the Doctor's previous selves. For those of you keeping up, this means that Tom Baker was actually Doctor number 12.

Later on, Bob Holmes wrote the regeneration story for the Fifth (13th) Doctor, and in Holmes's own version of Doctor Who canon this was a regeneration that wasn't supposed to happen - hence lines like "Is this death?". He then regenerated anyway, and was a bit unstable and that was the end of it.

However, the obsession with continuity that was introduced under JNT and Saward, and embodied in the fans of the 90's - including those who wrote the NAs - made this into one of the Firm Things That Is Known About Time Lords, what with it being mentioned in more than one story (!) and so we had the regeneration into Capaldi that we got

On some level I'm okay with what Holmes did being undone, if only because I like the idea of the First Doctor being...well, the First Doctor. The idea that the Doctor was 8 different people before hand is just weird to me.

The rest of it can go toss right out the window.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

On some level I'm okay with what Holmes did being undone, if only because I like the idea of the First Doctor being...well, the First Doctor. The idea that the Doctor was 8 different people before hand is just weird to me.

It certainly makes it neater.

For those who haven't seen the early (early early) serials, the Doctor was initially a much less helpful sort and most of the actual heroing was left up to Ian and to a lesser extent Barbara (it was the sixties, after all). Over the course of the first 3 series we saw him develop into the "deal with the bad guys" kind of person he is more widely known as. To have multiple incarnations beforehand isn't really something you can say is wrong, or impossible, it's just unnecessary.

We saw the character "the Doctor" come into being on our screens, to have additional back story is pointless. Sorry Andrew.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The offhandedness comes from nobody thinking they'd get to the point where they'd need to run into it. It's like the Y2K thing, in a way. Seriously, twelve Doctors? That'd never happen, the show would have to be on for, like, half a century to reach that!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

What classic serials on Netflix are worth watching? I've jumped around a bit and watched Spearhead from Space, Three Doctors, and Pyramids of Mars. I want to get a better idea of whatthe old show was like.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You haven't watched City of Death yet.

Do that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

The offhandedness comes from nobody thinking they'd get to the point where they'd need to run into it. It's like the Y2K thing, in a way. Seriously, twelve Doctors? That'd never happen, the show would have to be on for, like, half a century to reach that!

I don't think it's that (although - for people who aren't Bob Holmes and therefore didn't know it had been dealt with - it did play a minor roll).

More important is that the Doctor is revealed to have some special, if mundane and highly situational, power or limitation every few stories and we definitely don't remember all of those. It was written in an era where people couldn't go back and watch old stories, even if they wanted to. Internal continuity is much less important in that kind of environment, and contributed to the programme lasting so long as the new team were able to set about things with fewer limitations.

Cabinet posted:

What classic serials on Netflix are worth watching? I've jumped around a bit and watched Spearhead from Space, Three Doctors, and Pyramids of Mars. I want to get a better idea of whatthe old show was like.

There's a list in the first post that contains the usual recommendations. If you want something a bit more specific, what do you like (or not like) about those serials and modern stories?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

But if you didn't think that Pyramids had two of the best voices to ever appear on television (Sutekh, and the alien thingy that is revealed to be Scarman) then there's going to be violence

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a list in the first post that contains the usual recommendations. If you want something a bit more specific, what do you like (or not like) about those serials and modern stories?

I watched all the ones that were available and were recommended in the OP. I really liked the Three Doctors because of the characters bouncing off each other. Spearhead felt a little off to what I was expecting, but I'm not holding anything against it because it was the first episode for Pertwee. Pyramids of Mars was pretty fun and I get why Baker seems to be a fan favorite.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But if you didn't think that Pyramids had two of the best voices to ever appear on television (Sutekh, and the alien thingy that is revealed to be Scarman) then there's going to be violence

No need! I was 100% down with it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

remusclaw posted:

I don't thinks is that weird, its one of the few concrete things we learned about the Doctor and the Time Lords. It makes him mortal and therefore it makes each incremental regeneration more dramatic as it ticks down to his last chance. Shame it had to be rushed, had a lot of dramatic potential if given the proper build. I mean, you know he was going to cheat it somehow, but there is drama in the build, and we missed out on that because someone wanted to rush it.

the only two times it's come up for the Doctor in story arcs - under Holmes and Moffat - there's been unknown previous generations inserted to the doctor's past. that seem's pretty much the opposite of concrete to me.
and the Master's been explicitly given new regenerations twice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Try Tomb of the Cybermen. Iconic story for an iconic villain, episodes which have Jamie in tend to have some good lines*, and it's spreading the Doctors about a bit. It's not perfect (the accents are rubbish), but it is very good overall.

If you want more Fourth Doctor, try The Robots of Death or City of Death - both have excellent scripts.

Hartnell, I'd try The Dalek Invasion of Earth (go into it not knowing that the Daleks are in it, or indeed will ever appear again following their first story, to have the mindset of the time). Not such a fan of CBakes or David Peterson so I'll let others speak for them.

The Curse of Fenric is the McCoy I'd recommend, it's a WW2 (indeed, faux Bletchley park)-set semi-horror story that features Nicholas Parsons (most famous for presenting a comedy radio game show) in a surprisingly excellent dramatic role.

*He's a Scottish soldier from the 18th century. Victoria - the other companion in Tomb is from the Victorian era (ho ho), but later on when he's partnered with the super-genius from the future Zoe there tend to be lots of jokes about the contrast between the two of them. eg, from The Seeds of Death,

KELLY: Do you think it's wise letting these people crew the rocket?
RADNOR: Wise? No, of course it's not wise, but what's the alternative? We gave up training astronauts years ago.
KELLY: But who are they?
RADNOR: Some of Eldred's crazy friends, I imagine. But the man who calls himself the Doctor certainly knows his space travel.
KELLY: How can you be sure?
RADNOR: Well, you wanted the briefing, but he and the girl know more about space flight than Eldred.
KELLY: What about the boy?
RADNOR: Yes, I'm not sure about him.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

DoctorWhat posted:

Why assume that Eleven knew all along? He clearly thinks that he might be able to regenerate in Let's Kill Hitler.

I like to think that Eleven didn't realise before this point, but the incident prompted him to investigate after the dust cleared, and pieced together his situation off-screen.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

It was good of Moffat to get the regeneration limit out of the way, as of Capaldi it can now be safely ignored forever.

At least, for another 50 years.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Colin Baker-wise: I think that Vengeance on Varos is his best story; and one that's incredibly under-rated. Revelation of the Daleks is alright I suppose: certainly the second best Dalek story of the 80s... Unfortunately lots of the other ones aren't very good although I've not seen all of them so I can't accurately comment on them.

I'd also recommend Remembrance of the Daleks for McCoy; although with the exception of Silver Nemesis nothing from the last two series are terrible. The worst you probably have is Battlefield which is incredibly silly and really shouldn't work but it just does, plus it has the Brigadier in it so it can't be bad! Although its not one that I'd watch first, there are plenty of things better!

Are the classic episodes on Netflix still the unrestored ones? They were when I last had it and its a shame that they aren't using the good quality versions of the things there, especially when that's likely to be the thing that gets folk into the older series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CaptainYesterday posted:

At least, for another 50 years.

In the otherwise rather awful Doctor Who and the Space Spiders, the Doctor is chastising the astronauts for threatening to shoot them and says (paraphrased),"You'll have to keep shooting me because I'll keep getting back up. Who knows how many times? It's all new to me now, maybe I'll just keep getting up forever."

So in 50 years time it'll be a case of the 25th Doctor going,"Hmmm this could be my last regeneration maybe....?" and then it won't be, and the show will continue on forever like it is meant to.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Guys, in Morbius the Doctor was just thinking about his favorite television production team goofing off in silly costumes! :3:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Thank you! The only issue is that a lot of those aren't on Netflix anymore. Here's the full list of the episodes on right now.

I know that you can watch basically all the classic episodes on Hulu but I can't make an account on it for some reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

2house2fly posted:

Presumably the idea is that 9 would have taken the place of War, being the one who was going to push the big red button. I don't like that idea much myself; given 9's comments about his appearance while looking in the mirror in his first episode it seemed like he was freshly regenerated, though I read somewhere RTD didn't mean to give that impression (what impression DID he mean to give?)

Edit: :argh:

In a recent DWM, in their "The Fact of Fiction" on "Rose" they asked RTD about it, and he said no, Ninth hadn't just regeneration. He posited does Nine behave like a Doctor who's freshly regenerated? He's not manic, confused. He's fully formed. Plus, later on, we see evidence of his adventures pre-"Rose" (The JFK assassination, The Titanic, etc.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cabinet posted:

Thank you! The only issue is that a lot of those aren't on Netflix anymore. Here's the full list of the episodes on right now.

I know that you can watch basically all the classic episodes on Hulu but I can't make an account on it for some reason.

The Aztecs is essential First Doctor viewing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cabinet posted:

The Power of Kroll and The Leisure Hive are the only really duff ones on that list. I wouldn't watch Caves of Androzani before getting to know the Fifth Doctor, although it is very good.

Dailymotion has them all last time I checked :ssh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cabinet posted:

Outside of the couple that MrL_JaKiri mentioned, these are all pretty drat good watches (I love The Aztecs) so you can't really go wrong.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
More notes on that list: Both City of Death (T.Bakes/Romana II) and Pirate Planet (T.Bakes/Romana I/K-9) are specifically Douglas Adams penned during his showrunner span and have really fun dialogue. The Horror of Fang Rock is a high mark for base-under-siege horror and has Leela being pretty awesome at Tom. The Green Death is full-on Pertwee and has both the Brigadier in his prime and Jo's swansong. And The Mind Robber is an alternately brilliantly and stupidly weird Troughton adventure with Jamie and Zoe both being adorable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Outside of the couple that MrL_JaKiri mentioned, these are all pretty drat good watches (I love The Aztecs) so you can't really go wrong.

Even those two have some great stuff in them. Just, uh, lots of not so great stuff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Even those two have some great stuff in them. Just, uh, lots of not so great stuff

I will never forgive Power of Kroll for hiring Philip Madoc and then just having him play,"Random dude who is also there."

The main villain is actually really loving good.... but Philip Madoc is RIGHT THERE! :argh:

Edit: There is actually some fun stuff in the commentary talking about how the casting came about and how upset Madoc was when he realized how inconsequential his part was going to be.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Davros1 posted:

In a recent DWM, in their "The Fact of Fiction" on "Rose" they asked RTD about it, and he said no, Ninth hadn't just regeneration. He posited does Nine behave like a Doctor who's freshly regenerated? He's not manic, confused. He's fully formed. Plus, later on, we see evidence of his adventures pre-"Rose" (The JFK assassination, The Titanic, etc.)

they're pre-Rose from Clive's perspective in a linear view of Earth's history, but I always thought it was implied that they take place later in the Doctor's own timeline with Rose probably taking the photos.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Leisure Hive is actually pretty ok, I always remember it as being worse than it is

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The Leisure Hive has that amazing cliffhanger in Part 1 where Tom Baker gets his limbs torn off via CSO and then his screaming head launches towards the camera as the cliffhanger sting plays.

Like, holy poo poo is that a moment where I'd have pissed myself as a 7 year old in 1980.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Just to point things out about the50th, from that interview Moffat did a little while ago where they talked about it: the 50th with Eccleston was an entirely different story, set in the Doctor's timestream from Name of the Doctor; that's why they make a big deal about Eleven going in and yet he gets out off-screen, it's because that was the remnants of a script they weren't able to entirely scrap. The War Doctor was specifically written for John Hurt, almost entirely by chance; Moffat floated the idea of a Doctor we never saw, played by a famous actor, and the first name he suggested happened to say yes. No telling what they would have done if they didn't.

What I don't think is that the role would've gone to Eight. I mean I love him too, and he would've done a good job, but I also recall Moffat mentioning a little after the air date of Day that he specifically wouldn't have cast McGann, Eccleston or any previous Doctor as the War Doctor. Since the idea is that this the Doctor that hosed up, walked away from what it meant to be the Doctor, and did horrible things. It's a role that could have only gone to a nonexistent Doctor, because every other Doctor has their fans and to them, it would be like saying 'you, your favorite is the worst Doctor'.

Personally, I think Colin Baker's fans could've taken it, but that probably wouldn't have worked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

UNIT: Dominion is on sale at Big Finish at the moment, it's well worth a listen if only for one particular character's wonderful performance.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK, so to summarise:

This is interesting stuff. Is there a book somewhere that collects this kind of trivia, or is this all from assorted sources?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not really fussed how many regenerations the Doctor has as long as it always gives rise to decent stories. That's why the specific count matters (mattered), because there is (was) a story to be told when the fellow finally runs out. (Also, if the Doctor isn't as essentially mortal as the rest of us it kind of breaks the show.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: the Doctor forced to suffering an ongoing toxic Nyssa disaster

Long Synopsis: A non-linear story in which the Doctor and Nyssa are forced to land on a planet suffering ongoing toxic effects from an ecological disaster. Caught between secretive factions, the two have to figure out who is in the right, who is in the wrong, and whether they should interfere or not.

What's Good:
  • The Non-Linear Format. The story is laid out in a deliberately non-linear fashion across all four episodes, which at first is a little confusing (especially if like me you think you've accidentally set your player on shuffle) but quickly becomes quite engaging. By presenting scenes out of order, you lack the information to put some scenes in their correct context which gives them a completely different reading till later in the story. Characters actions/reactions and motivations all change as the story progresses and more and more of the puzzle pieces are filled in, and you start to realize why people did what they did, how they got themselves in the situation they're in etc. It's a difficult line to walk, but Nicholas Briggs does a very good job of making the story flow both in the moment AND in retrospect looking back over the whole thing. It's an easy gimmick to gently caress up or otherwise get wrong, but Briggs obviously was careful to make sure that the story isn't just a mess of contradictions that only makes sense once you've heard the whole thing and gone back to reassemble the component parts in the "right" order.

• The lack of a tidy resolution. The story presents a complex situation and refuses to offer any easy answers. Thought it clearly comes down on presenting one of the (several) sides as being on the right/moral side of things, it doesn't just automatically give them the victory and pretend like everything is suddenly fixed. Nor does it wallow in some grim nonsense where the bad guys win and sneer at the pathetic weaklings who thought they could make a difference. All throughout the story, the Doctor is at pains to tell Nyssa that he ca neither endorse nor condemn one side fully, because they've all come to the stance they've taken for legitimate and understandable reasons. An alien race has accidentally but irrevocably poisoned the atmosphere of a pre-interstellar flight planet, causing enormous ecological damage and horrific birth defects/health issues for all indigenous life. The aliens - the Koteem - have tried to make amends but been understandably rebuffed by the horrified, damaged Veln, but now an unofficial and illegal Koteem operation is attempting to set things "right" for them anyway, working with sympathetic Veln on the planet. The security forces of the paranoid Veln Government are out root out the undercover Koteem and expose the Veln "traitors", and discover what appears to be a horrific torture chamber where vivisection and other bizarre alien experiments are happening. The Veln "resistance" bribe or threaten officials to get their way and are not above violence to achieve their goals, and the leader of the Veln is arrogant, high-handed and surprisingly xenophobic considering her goals. The leader of the security forces is a stupid brute with a chip on his shoulder and a massive inferiority complex. The Koteem are shown to be a race with varied priorities/goals/beliefs - some are selfish, some are fanatics, some are realists, some are just desperate to achieve some good before their race goes extinct from their own exposure to the toxins. There is no binary "These are the good guys, these are the bad guys", all sides are guilty in one way or another of some terrible act, and as the Doctor notes to Nyssa, this was not a situation where they could land on a planet, run into a problem, solve it and go on their way. This is a more complex issue, and they should just be thankful they were able to move on safe and sound at the end.

• The sound effects. Big Finish does a great job on the audio effects here, whether it be the voice of the Koteem (for once appropriately appropriately deep and booming instead of sounding like a regular voice pitched down), the frantic cries between Nyssa and Veline as they struggle over a knife, the sickening sound of Brodlik being "interrogated". It's all arranged extremely well too, like the greater story itself, often we hear stretches of audio that tell one particular story, only for context to later show us the significance of particular sections and realize they've been placed together in a non-linear fashion. The oft-repeated phrase,"Beautiful" can be taken in any number of ways each time it is heard, it is only by the very end of the story that the true significance/context is revealed. There is never really a sense that you're just listening to effects added in over the top of people being recorded in sound-booths, the effects deepen and enhance the experience.

What's Not:

• The passivity of the leads. Unfortunately, the Doctor and Nyssa get very little to actually do in this story, they're little more than passive observers. Nyssa gets more than the Doctor, and Sarah Sutton does fine with her scenes, but mostly it's just the two of them sitting around asking questions (and rarely getting answers) as the story goes on around them and eventually ends without their having done anything or made any real appreciable difference to the story. There are long sections focused entirely on the supporting cast talking amongst themselves/getting things done, with neither of the main cast present. Thankfully the supporting cast are mostly well developed or intriguing enough that they can carry these scenes, but it begs the question of why the Doctor and Nyssa are present at all, short of being the selling point to get people to actually listen to the story.

• The weakness of the actual story. The non-linear format is a neat idea executed well, but it is also covering up the fact that the story is fairly weak. Again, it has a good core concept and interesting ideas to explore, but the actual story is so straight-forward that had it been presented in an entirely linear fashion (I wouldn't be surprised if a "corrected" audio version exists somewhere online) it would be a rather mediocre/forgettable audio. It is the non-linear gimmick that makes the story interesting, because of the way it shifts context and makes the listener reexamine their beliefs about particular characters/events. Take away the gimmick, and the story doesn't really have the legs to stand on its own.

• The twist. There is a last second twist to the story (actually telegraphed pretty plainly about halfway through) that smacks very slightly of being a pale reflection of the kind of think Joseph Lidster often does and gets criticized for. One final piece of information reveals there is more to the disaster than even the Veln or the Koteem understood, but it comes so late and is unknown to all but the listener, making it nothing more than a twist present for the shock value to the listener. Nobody knows about it, nobody learns anything from it, nobody's life is changed because of the (quite frankly life-changing!) event. That said, it doesn't feel like it was intended as a Lidster-esque,"And then everything was poo poo because this is REAL and in real life lovely stuff happens!" gently caress you to the audience. It's more like a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits style twist (I know Twilight Zone didn't have nearly as many of those as people thought) to throw the audience for a loop, get them to go,"Oh! Ohhhhh! :aaa:" but it kind of falls flat in that regard. Take it out of the story and you lose nothing, leave it in and it adds nothing.

Final Thoughts:

Creatures of Beauty is a pretty plain story that is made stronger by its well-executed non-linear gimmick. Presenting a world that feels "lived in", it offers up moral conundrums that have no easy answers and doesn't attempt to give any. Filled with strong supporting characters who get plenty of time to shine, it is guilty of overlooking/relegating its main cast to mostly background characters. The "resolution" is non-existent, which is not a bad thing by itself (and is actually a good thing in regards to this story) but it does mean that the already relegated Doctor and Nyssa also end up being completely superfluous - they achieve nothing and affect nothing whatsoever. Remove them from the story and things would still mostly have progressed as they did anyway - they're purely there to get people to (eventually) reveal the backstory of the planet and the situation between the Koteem and the Veln. The final twist feels unnecessary, but the way everything comes together to complete the "puzzle" of the story is well handled, and it is a lot of fun to listen to just to get the new information and realize the fresh context of events you've already heard from a different point of view. I'd say this is a story well worth listening to, if only for the gimmick.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stabbatical posted:

This is interesting stuff. Is there a book somewhere that collects this kind of trivia, or is this all from assorted sources?

It's from a handful of sources - Doctor Who - The Handbook, xth Doctor series that's long out of print, for example. If you're into criticism and the context specifically of the writing there's the rather good About Time series by Tat Wood and thread favourite Larry Miles and for purely production side stuff there's the excellent A Brief History of Time (Travel) website, which collates various sources. Here's the one for Delgado's final serial, for example, which includes information about how he died.

You could also wait for my book :unsmigghh:

On this topic, here's Rusty:

quote:

When they came [to America] to launch The Eleventh Hour, I went along to this screening in LA and journalists put their hands up, and one of the first questions was, "What will happen when he reaches the thirteenth regeneration?" There's a fascinating academic study to be made out of how some facts stick and some don't – how Jon Pertwee's Doctor could say he was thousands of years old, and no-one listens to that, and yet someone once says he’s only got thirteen lives, and it becomes lore. It's really interesting, I think. That's why I’m quite serious that that 507 thing won't stick, because the 13 is too deeply ingrained in the public consciousness. But how? How did that get there?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the 13 thing stuck because it's such an obvious dramatic device. Without it, regeneration is just Hitchcock's conversation in a cafe. The limit is the bomb under the table.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They can't really use the 13 thing now, too, since the time lords gave him energy he was blasting spaceships with it, and then davros drained so much from him he raised all the daleks dead.

It does cut out the drama of threatening the Doctor's life a bit but honestly the last three generations were always so concerned about death (10 because he didn't want to change and 11 had two different seasons about his future death, either being assassinated at the lake or finding his gravesite) that it's fine that they can't go to that well for a well.

I do wonder if they will put a number on how many regenerations he has at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Who is responsible for this.

Please note that this may be read as both a question and a declaration.

• Locked thread