Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I should do my own version of the Editorium but without being Phil Sandifer, which I hope everyone can agree is a massive natural advantage from the off :getin:

I would absolutely read on a regular basis long-winded thoughts about Doctor Who that weren't being written by a completely insufferable grandiloquent twerp, just in case anyone's thinking of seriously doing this. Actually, you know what else I'd like to see? A "First Law of Doctor Who Fans" blog, where all the entries are split 50/50 between "I really liked this!" and then someone else gets to go "Nah mate actually it's like this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Trin Tragula posted:

A "First Law of Doctor Who Fans" blog, where all the entries are split 50/50 between "I really liked this!" and then someone else gets to go "Nah mate actually it's like this".

That's basically this thread.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Trin Tragula posted:

I would absolutely read on a regular basis long-winded thoughts about Doctor Who that weren't being written by a completely insufferable grandiloquent twerp, just in case anyone's thinking of seriously doing this.

So DoctorWhat isn't allowed to contribute? :v:

(j/k I love you, man)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

(j/k I love you, man)

And neither am I :ohdear:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And More posted:

They're funny, and Capaldi looks cool in them.

Yeah, Stephen King is not beyond writing booger monsters. The guy will write anything. It's kind of admirable, in a way.

surprisingly often it turns into an entertaining read too. it's sort of like DW. A killer invisible mummy on a recreation of the orient express in space sounds like some dumb poo poo, but it's an enjoyable episode.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 18, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

(j/k I love you, man)

So where does that leave overtly hostile anger posts?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'll contribute the obligatory "that was pretty okay" milquetoast non-opinion.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

I would absolutely read on a regular basis long-winded thoughts about Doctor Who that weren't being written by a completely insufferable grandiloquent twerp, just in case anyone's thinking of seriously doing this.

Well balls, that knocks me out of the running.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Edit - Just going to leave this right here...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...n-to-doctor-who

"Planet of the Boys" - I'm so happy to get more Donna :allears:

Ms Boods posted:

Another example of a human antagonist who was just an evil, selfish twat is the wonderful Harrison Chase in Seeds of Doom. He is one of my favourite villains.

Oh yeah he's great, he's just an unrepentant, selfish rear end in a top hat and he completely owns it.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
Are people objecting to monsters because the US term is "booger"? Or is the concept of monsters made from stuff in your eye in general? Because it's a neat idea, especially for kids.

Burkion posted:

So where does that leave overtly hostile anger posts?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post452449737

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post452738660

saucerman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

saucerman posted:

Are people objecting to monsters because the US term is "booger"? Or is the concept of monsters made from stuff in your eye in general? Because it's a neat idea, especially for kids.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post452449737

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post452738660

Yes those are my overtly hostile anger posts

Where does that leave them?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

My problem with this story was how safe the script played everything. We the listener know the Doctor isn’t evil…sometimes without mercy, sometimes a bit of a dick…so if you’re going to sell us on the concept of the Doctor as a true monster of legend, the script doesn’t back it up with anything more than Colin Baker yelling or the Galyari quaking at the mention of “The Sandman” of legend.

I believe I said this around the time of your review, but this was actually one of the reasons I liked this audio. Maybe it was just Colin's performance, but it really came across that this was the mature Six, aware and ashamed of the times he's committed genocide, and taken on the Sandman role as an alternative to doing it once again. In addition to foreshadowing Eccleston and Smith, it was a marked difference from his character both onscreen and in earlier BF stories - in Sirens of Time, he's specifically referred to as THE DOC-TOR WHO DOES WHATEVER IT TAKES BWAHAHAHA. This story actually played a sizable part in winning me over to Colin-ism.

EDIT - It also followed up tonally on the scenes in Marian Conspiracy where he sympathizes with Bloody Mary.

After The War fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

saucerman posted:

I don't think people are going to respond positively to mucus monsters or snot men no matter what you call them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

I believe I said this around the time of your review, but this was actually one of the reasons I liked this audio. Maybe it was just Colin's performance, but it really came across that this was the mature Six, aware and ashamed of the times he's committed genocide, and taken on the Sandman role as an alternative to doing it once again. In addition to foreshadowing Eccleston and Smith, it was a marked difference from his character both onscreen and in earlier BF stories - in Sirens of Time, he's specifically referred to as THE DOC-TOR WHO DOES WHATEVER IT TAKES BWAHAHAHA. This story actually played a sizable part in winning me over to Colin-ism.

EDIT - It also followed up tonally on the scenes in Marian Conspiracy where he sympathizes with Bloody Mary.

I wanted to like the idea, but I just felt it fell short in the execution - both in terms of the writing and even in Colin's performance. I really did get a sense that they come up with the idea first and then instead of working backwards just jammed the "monster Doctor" parts together with the usual Doctor parts.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

saucerman posted:

Speaking as an American who doesn't call them eye boogers I found them to be a dumb concept because its just nonsensical. The whole eye dust is related to sleeping thing is what broke the concept to me, along with all the other sleep related puns, Mr. Sandman and such. If it had just been a people being eaten by their bacteria in general thing it probably could have been a really scary concept but eye crap? Thats just dumb.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

saucerman posted:

Are people objecting to monsters because the US term is "booger"?

I'm not American and did not know that, so not so much. The feeling I had when watching the episode was we leapt from "you don't sleep for long so you don't get the sleep buildup in your eye" to "therefore it becomes sentient" awfully quickly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TinTower posted:

(j/k I love you, man)

It's funny that I'm the first SA poster to come to mind as a counterpart to Sandifer, because while he is a massive influence of mine and we have lots of mutual friends both online and IRL, we can't loving stand each other or be in the same IRC channel for more than 5 minutes without going at each other's throats.

Because he's wrong about things and he just won't admit it :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It's funny that I'm the first SA poster to come to mind as a counterpart to Sandifer, because while he is a massive influence of mine and we have lots of mutual friends both online and IRL, we can't loving stand each other or be in the same IRC channel for more than 5 minutes without going at each other's throats.

Because he's wrong about things and he just won't admit it :colbert:

I'm sure the feeling is mutual

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm sure the feeling is mutual

I'm certain it is, though from his perspective my wrongness is magnified by my being an upstart kid who, I don't loving know, doesn't totally buy into the notion that "kinky" people are persecuted against the way LGBT folks are.

He no-joke tried to drag me for that opinion once, because I complained about someone at my community college wearing a grody fox tail around the campus.

If you guessed that he made a comparison equating fetish gear with gay couples holding hands in public, in defense of fetish gear, CONGRATS, you get a No-Prize!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I very rarely do this, but can we please not start talking about personal arguments between fans in this thread? :smith:

I mean, unless one of you is hoarding missing episodes, in which case just release the goddamn episodes you monster :argh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's me. I have Marco Polo.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Well, I mean, I have had this old film reel of The Underwater Menace Episode 4 sitting here, I just thought nobody wanted it because everyone kept making fun of the fish people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I very rarely do this, but can we please not start talking about personal arguments between fans in this thread? :smith:

That's fair.

quote:

I mean, unless one of you is hoarding missing episodes, in which case just release the goddamn episodes you monster :argh:

IT'S ME JRU

MUGABE WAS ME, ALL ALONG JRU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

FreezingInferno posted:

Well, I mean, I have had this old film reel of The Underwater Menace Episode 4 sitting here

DoctorWhat posted:

IT'S ME JRU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

IT'S ME JRU

Aw, son of a bitch!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really want to see the lost story In The Forest of the Night, which was sadly wiped from every hard drive on Earth before it made it to air.

I think I had a really bad fever dream about it. Oh well.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Why not, Sandifer is awful and, if what Jerusalem said is true, even worse than already thought.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Although Sandifer does get some points for calling out Doctor Who Online for how they ripped off advertisers by using inaccurate stats to show how many clickthroughs they would get...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sandifer has done good things and bad things and really just STUPID things. He's not bigoted or cruel, just totally up his own butt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cargohills posted:

The sonic sunglasses are completely fine.

Your face is completely fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

IT'S ME JRU

Aw, son of a- *Checks thread.

CobiWann posted:

Aw, son of a bitch!
Beaten like a government mule.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I like Phil Sandifer and the things he has to say even if he makes me roll my eyes sometimes. Basically the same relationship I have to Doctor Who itself. Plus I admire his dedication to boosting niche writers (including quite a few transfolk).

TARDIS Eruditorum is a nifty keen thing that exists. The choose your own adventure Logopolis post is really one of the coolest bits of out-there media crit that I've read.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 19, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Strax, the Sontaran butler to Victorian investigator Vastra and her wife Jenny, suffers a disorienting attack and mistakes Jago & Litefoot for Jenny and Vastra and moves into Litefoot’s home. Together, they are on the trail of a creature that is stealing brains, which may or may not be linked to a haunted house in London...

X X X X X

Cast
Henry Gordon Jago - Christopher Benjamin
Professor George Litefoot - Trevor Baxter
Strax - Dan Starkey
Ellie - Lisa Bowerman
Inspector Quick - Conrad Asquith
Marvo - Stephen Critchlow
Mrs Multravers - Carolyn Seymour

Written by: Justin Richards
Directed by: Lisa Bowerman

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/jago-litefoot-strax---the-haunting-1342

Fan-made Jago and Litefoot opening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYmeWvwY-Y

X X X X X

The Haunting is simply a triumph for Big Finish. Combining three of the most memorable supporting characters in the history of Doctor Who, this story combines a plot that's a little darker than normal with some absolutely cracking dialogue and chemistry between the three leads, adding up to a tale that leaves the listener looking forward to future adventures!

The Victorian Era saw many interesting and wonderful things take place in London, the greatest city in the world. There were the grand shows at the New Regency Theatre under the ownership of Henry Gordon Jago. The curious might have taken interest in the studies of pathologist Professor George Litefoot, while the thirsty could grab a pint at the Red Tavern served by barmaid Ellie Higson. And those in trouble might turn towards the investigators known as the Paternoster Gang, assisted by the...uniquely shaped and military minded Strax. However, all should take care not to venture into the portion of London known as Cobbletown, where several corpses have been found with their very brains removed...

Henry Gordan Jago and George Litefoot were two characters created by Robert Holmes for the classic Fourth Doctor episode The Talons of Weng-Chiang who assisted the Doctor in his efforts to defeat the time-displaced warlord Magnus Greel. Played by Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter, respectively, the pair were an instant hit among fans due to their chemistry not only with the Doctor but with each other as well. Rumors of a BBC spin-off series starring the duo as amateur investigators were whispered for years until the show's cancellation in 1989. It wasn't until 2010 that the spin-off came to fruition as Big Finish released the first Jago and Litefoot box set after the rousing acclaim for the 2009 Companion Chronicle The Mahogany Murderers. The range has been a smashing success, with the eleventh box set due for release in April 2016. Often joined by Ellie, a barmaid at the Red Tavern which serves almost as a second home for Mr. Jago. Played by Lisa Bowerman (of Bernice Summerfield fame), the range has see the curious Litefoot and the reluctant hero Jago experience all kinds of adventures from the mundane to the alien, past, present and future, as well as meeting up with both the companion Leela and the Sixth Doctor for several adventures!

Dan Starkey is best known for playing a whole bunch of Sontarans, including Commander Skorr in The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky and Commander Jask in The End of Time, as well as playing Ian the Elf in Last Christmas. But he's best known for playing Commander Strax, one third of the Paternoster Gang who have assisted the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors in numerous episodes. Strax is a rare breed – a Sontaran nurse who serves to restore the honor of his clone batch. Even as a nurse, Strax is a top-notch soldier who believes that Plan B is simply twice as much gunpowder as Plan A and sees everything through a military lens. Alongside Lady Vastra and her wife Jenny, Strax serves as the butler, assistant, and muscle for the group of investigators.

Now when you thrown them all together, what you get is an audio that simply tears along with a terrific mix of action, tension, humor, and sci-fi horror. Due to an early meeting with the villain of the story while searching for an alien energy source in the rundown area of London known as Cobbletown, Strax is currently suffering from acute mental trauma. His investigation intertwine with those of Litefoot, who has seen several corpses come into his laboratory missing a vital part of their anatomy – their brains. The central point for these murders is a rundown mansion that's been the center of reported hauntings and strange lights for over a century. The plot itself is incredibly gripping. The villain of the piece, Ms. Multravers, is played by Carolyn Seymour, a veteran actress of stage and screen. It would have been easy for her to get lost amidst the other performers, but the calm, friendly, and non-threatening nature of Multravers makes her stand out as she harmlessly submits passersby to a series of logic puzzles where success equals death. Her denouement and explanation for her actions is very chilling, a bit out of place in a Victorian era story but perfectly in line for the character and helped along by the other actors in terms of believability.

It's very hard to separate the other actors, as all four of them (as well as Conrad Asquith as Inspector Quick, the police liaison for the pair of investigators) play off each other so well. No matter what the pairing/trio/quartet, Baxter, Benjamin, Bowerman, and Starkey simply click with incredible chemistry. At no point does The Haunting feel like a Jago and Litefoot story with Strax thrown in to show off the revival license that Big Finish acquired. Strax and his military style dialogue feels right at home with the proper Jago, the scientific Litefoot, and the working class Ellie as they investigate the murders in Cobbletown. Put simply, most of the dialogue is freakin' hysterical. The highlight for me is Strax mistaking Jago and Litefoot for Jenny and Vastra due to his mental trauma and repeatedly calling Litefoot “Madame,” must to Litefoot's dismay and Jago's amusement. Mix it in with Strax's tendency to blow up everything and Jago's attempts to temper him and Ellie's slight encouragement, and this story could simply have been “four Who characters hang out and solve crime.” The script by Justin Richards (Whispers of Terror, The Renaissance Man) shows the intelligence and bravery of the four characters as well, both during the “murder mystery” first half and the “sci-fi horror” second half as they get into trouble and either work there way out of it, or in a few cases actually get hurt!

Add in the expert directing by Lisa Bowerman (who has directed every series of Jago and Litefoot) that keeps the story moving along without bogging down or becoming confusing and you get a story that is simply fun to listen to. So far, between the Torchwood releases and the positive reviews for UNIT: Extinction, Big Finish has shown that they're not going to just use the revival license as an excuse to put out poor stories and expect fans to lap them up just because. What The Haunting does is threefold – gives fans of the new series a chance to enjoy further adventures for a well liked character, gives fans of the new series an introduction to an acclaimed audio range involving characters from the classic series, and gives fans in general simply a drat good story. I find myself hoping for a future release involving the same characters...and perhaps even a certain married couple...

SynopsisThe Haunting is a fantastic story that mixes humor and tension, a murder mystery with sci-fi horror, and characters from the classic and revival series exhibiting some top-notch chemistry.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HD DAD posted:

you monster

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

SynopsisThe Haunting is a fantastic story that mixes humor and tension, a murder mystery with sci-fi horror, and characters from the classic and revival series exhibiting some top-notch chemistry.

I am NEVER going to catch up on all the Who related stuff there is out there, NEVER.

This is the opposite of a problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just absolutely spoiled myself and watched a youtube video showing off all the Doctors and TARDIS interiors for the Lego Dimensions DW module.

Lego Eleven does the giraffe dance and it made me so happy I started crying.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

HD DAD posted:

I only have Marco.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I am NEVER going to catch up on all the Who related stuff there is out there, NEVER.

This is the opposite of a problem.

I thought I knew how you feel, but I'm really going through the BF Main range, it's almost a reality that I can hear all of their who output.

then I remember I've seen hardly any of the original dr who tv series. and i shed a single tear.

edit: oh jesus, the books, the magazines, the comics, oh my

BSam fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 19, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not American and did not know that, so not so much. The feeling I had when watching the episode was we leapt from "you don't sleep for long so you don't get the sleep buildup in your eye" to "therefore it becomes sentient" awfully quickly

And from there to "and it's contagious to an extent that would wipe out a planet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jsor posted:

I only have Marco.

Polo!

As far as Sandifer goes, I really liked his analysis of the old series, but once he hit the "Wilderness Years" he was so completely going towards a conclusion that the new series, particularly the Tennant era, was going to be the apex of the show and what everything was building to, that it colored his writing. It ruined the premise of good, deep criticism and picking apart episodes when he tried to cobble together some false meta-narrative. And of course, part of that narrative was to completely dismiss Big Finish as a dead end product of a time gone by that was imperfect but had a small part in the creation of Perfect Modern Doctor Who, the Platonic Ideal of Who. Granted, I checked out at that point so if he's still going he might have changed up a bit...

In other news I've been trying new things with Big Finish. I listened to my first B7, Fractures. I wanted a full cast audio so I started there. It was a great start. Michael Keating was particularly good, the others were certainly passable as their old selves, except (most disappointingly) Avon. I was really counting on Paul Darrow to channel that old Avon magic but he seemed to have only one emotion--edgy sardonic. I'm in the middle of rewatching the show, up to mid Season 2, and Avon had a lot more range than that. This was like Avon turned up to 11 for an entire episode. But I know that was an early episode for them, so I'm sure it wlll get better. What was perfect though was the cast interaction, the writing--Justin Richards, unsurprisingly nails the classic dialogue of the show and the voices of the characters. And it was a fine use of the medium.

After hearing how amazingly good Jago and Litefoot are I started with Mahogany Murders, and it was really good. A bit clunky in the exposition of them telling each other the story, but I imagine that changes as the range goes on...I realize that was more of a "pilot." I'm going to look forward to putting them into my rotation. And I'm currently listening to The Yes Men. It's always a guaranteed fantastic episode when you have Frazier playing Two, and the new guy they recast as Ben is solid.

I'd like to try the Tim Trealor 3rd Doctor audios soon. Kinda wish they'd do them as standalone stories and not a package.

• Locked thread