Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised that Missy subtextually used the "dogfucker" analogy.

I was in two minds about this episode. The good bits (the opening, anything intentionally dramatic, any bit with Davros) were very good, but the rest ranged from "silly" to "cringingly silly". Tonal whiplash, as has been said. And I'm still not a fan of Missy for the same reason I dislike Moffat's Moriarty - "how do I show that this person is a dangerous psychopath? I know, I'll write them as a LOLsorandom cross between the Joker and Robin Williams on a coke binge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

computer parts posted:

And since when does "Hyperspace" exist? So generic and dull.
Well, it is a theoretical absurdity.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I really loving hate the whole "play Missy as Robin Williams/Jim Carrey and do hyperactive wacky voices every other line" thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

And More posted:

I feel The Girl Who Died is a bit underappreciated here as far as terrible moments go. That episode had the Doctor translate for a baby for like three minutes, after all.
Having just had a baby, that was actually the most emotional moment of the whole series for me. The thought that a baby's cries would literally translate to it trying to tell its parents "I hear shouting, I'm afraid, I'm afraid" was absolutely gut-wrenching.

The rest of the series, though... Put it this way, it's the first time since the revival started that I not only missed episodes, but didn't care. (I stopped after the second Maisie Williams one and didn't come back until the finale.) Something about the show's... "attitude", for want of a better word, is rubbing me the wrong way. It's become way too smug and pleased with itself, all clever-clever banter and endless one-liners and stupid jokes, and what makes it worse is that there's almost always something really good and emotionally effective buried amongst the poo poo.

Still, at least Clara's gone, even if she was written out in the most transparent "we can bring this beloved character back for a guest spot at any time!" way. They gave her a loving TARDIS, seriously? gently caress Clara.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Burkion posted:

Clara was a total mess of a character, if she could even be called THAT, in season 7, was a consistently terrible person in season 8, and went back to being kind of a giant mess and regressing in quite a few ways in season 9. Her best moments were always episode specific and some times contradictory.
Yeah, my dislike of Clara has nothing to do with her being a woman. It's because she was a perky vacuum as the Impossible Girl, and then The Author's Favouritist Character EVER who was going to be the one to teach the new Doctor about life. Which was largely done by making Twelve a colossal bell-end cross between Cosmo Kramer and, well, Malcolm Tucker who had to be reminded not to poo poo in his own hands before meeting someone for the first time.

• Locked thread