Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

the doctor is a strong willed man who after billions of years of agony and torture isn't just a raving mass of crazy, kids!

From the Doctor's point of view he only had to go through the castle one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I see.

We've gained, through the Walmart owned Asda chain of supermarkets, a version of Black Friday here. Except Asda have found that it actually reduced their profits over the Christmas period and are now trying to put the genie back in the bottle by pretending they never started.

How did you manage to miss the whole black friday/cyber Monday thing over here (I assume you are referring to the UK) it's been a thing for years now and is everywhere, not just Asda. It culminated in the stupid scrums last year, but it is still all over virtually every website and highstreet shop.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I once said I would kill for a pint.
I got a pint but didn't kill anyone.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just occurred to me - I might have misheard what Capaldi was saying but did they imply that Pop Tate's Choklit TARDIS was the same one the Doctor visited with Amy, Rory and River in "The Impossible Astronaut"?

It was the same diner but was in a different place.
I think the doctor must have worked out that the waitress was Clara at the end due to the disappearing diner and the picture of the waitress painted on the outside of his tardis.

I don't really know what to think about that episode.
On one hand I like the resolution to Clara's story, her going off on adventures with Ashildir is cool and leaves it open for her to return.
On the other hand everything to do with Gallifrey and the other timelords was just terribly done and made no sense. The less said about the hybrid anti climax the better.

What was the point of the angry old non timelord lady? She was there at the start of the season hiding the Doctor, then just appeared on Gallifrey - who exactly is she?

The trailer for the episode (which I've probably seen about 2 dozen times this week as it's on all the time) was very misleading - it was edited in such a way to imply a very different type of episode to the one we got.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 6, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The whole thing is he knows there was a woman called Clara and he recognizes some of the stories but the actual *experience* is gone. What he's got left is sort of a Wikipedia version of events, he is aware that they happened but he doesn't remember being there.

Much like the audience then

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

edit: and you know what irrationally irritates me about this episode? When the Doctor grabs his new screwdriver in a Heroic Pose, he's mostly holding the business end (the part that glows). It's like holding a sword over your head and holding the blade.

That was a valid fighting technique
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordhau

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Mark Gatiss writes the most aggressively mediocre episode of every season. He's amazingly consistent.

And yet there are people calling for him to replace Moffat.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I'm just here wondering, if writing out this companion required erasing the Doctor's memories, how on earth are they going to top this one? I guess all future companions will just get erased by the cracks to simplify the process.

Everything doesn't have to top everything else. There is nothing wrong with a future companion just deciding that traveling with the Doctor is too dangerous, or visiting a cool place that they decide they want to stay for the rest of their lives. Just like every series finale doesn't have to "beat" previous ones.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Screenplays for a bunch of episodes

Smith and Jones:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/doctor_who_3_ep_1.pdf

The Magician's Apprentice:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/DW9-EP1-The-Magicians-Apprentice.pdf

The Witch's Familiar:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/DW9-EP2-The-Witchs-Familiar.pdf

Face The Raven:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/DW9-EP10-Face-the-Raven.pdf

Heaven Sent:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/isite-static/doctorwho/scripts/DW9-EP-11-Heaven-Sent.pdf

Hell Bent:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/isite-static/doctorwho/scripts/DW9-EP-12-Hell-Bent.pdf

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I hate the guitar stuff. Feels forced along with the sonic sunglasses stuff.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mortanis posted:

What sort of poo poo must be going on behind the scenes for every actor to bail after their initial enthusiasm for the role? Doubly so now for Capaldi, who basically lived his whole life waiting for the moment? It can't just be the budget stuff. There's got to be some sort of more messed up thing going on that's sapping the will of the actors to continue.

For one I think you are overstating his "living his whole life to play Dr Who" a little bit. Yes he is a fan of the show and at some point when he became an actor he probably thought "would be cool to be the doctor", but it's not like he has been pining for the role for the past 30 years and has been building his career towards it as his only goal. In fact I read an interview with him last week where he said pretty much just that.

As to why the actors want to move on it's not really that hard to understand. It is pretty much a full time job when you take into account filming + promos which is very different to most acting jobs in the UK outside of soaps - most TV shows are 6 - 10 episodes long and don't take nearly as long to make as Doctor Who. Actors don't tend to like getting tied down to one role. Coupled with the fact that it is a high profile role he is probably getting some really good offers for other stuff that he cannot do whilst he is still doing Doctor Who.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Tennant's post Who career wasn't exactly booming at first either. It seems his Marvel tenure has reignited his popularity again.

Apart from Broadchurch, multiple critically lauded plays and narration and voice over work in many critically acclaimed shows and documentaries his career was tanking post Who. I'm sure his popularity has exploded in the one month since Jessica Jones has aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

It's just occurred to me that since this aired at 5.15 pm in the UK, that part (including the doctor's comment about not doing that in a restaurant) probably happened right when most people watching were eating their dinner.

Nah most people have Christmas dinner about 2-3 PM

• Locked thread