Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

This is an interesting start indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I was really enjoying that episode up until "sleep dust", and then I started enjoying it less.

That ending was...not really an ending? Maybe I'm dumb but I just don't get it. The bad guys plan came together and worked, the Doctor and Clara did nothing to effect anything, if they weren't there it would have been the same outcome. Humanity is doomed I guess? Maybe it's going to get revisited in another episode.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Jerusalem posted:

At the end when Shearsmith is tapping away on the computer, I didn't recognize the symbols on the "keyboard" - I assume that was the alphabet?

The whole episode had a cheap late-90s US sci-fi look to it, I'm sad to say, and unfortunately the story didn't really offer much to offset that :(

I think the keyboard was due to that it was an Indian-Japanese built space station (the Doctor mentioned a calamity that made them the same landmass or something) so I guess it's a new language or just an existing one that new nation uses.

E: might have been Thailand, I forgot already, sorry.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

That episode was great, I think it's my favourite this season. Much like the first part of Under The Lake (my previous favourite) I was so engrossed I didn't even realise the time was almost up as the episode ended on a to be continued.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Also echoplex even though I've not been a fan of most of the episodes due to story/scriptwriting this season I have to say I do enjoy all the design work you and the others there put into them, all the sets and details, etc, are fantastic to actually see.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I enjoyed that episode, although I did enjoy the second half of it more than the first. I expected it to be some kind of repeating over time, but how they pulled it off near the end I didn't see two billion years of punching super-diamond, that was cool.

I'm not too sure where this hybrid stuff came from though, but going back to the half-human aspect and the Doctor look like he's going to wreck some time lords looks great for next week.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

One thing I was just thinking on about the episode, what was the room with the small shallow pit of dirt/sand with arrows pointing to it for? I didn't quite get the relevance of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I really enjoyed that episode, it was fun and sad and heartwarming without having Christmas forced into it beyond the time the last scene was set.

I think that was my favourite Christmas special of all of them.

• Locked thread