Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q0hlu1qt4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Shona would be great, but I wouldn't mind Rigsy either. Been a while since the Doctor had a long-term male companion (Turlough?).

Rigsy and Shona please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

*remembers Wednesday’s GOP debate*

*draws on his arm again*

I like that Doctor Who villains aren't as transparently evil as Trump.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Remember the line about Clara's manipulator being slaved to Missy's? That will come up again.

I really liked Missy's portrayal of being on an even par with the Doctor, to the point of being a surrogate Doctor for Clara/the audience when the real one is busy chatting to Davros.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, I was more excited to see the Shadow Proclamation again - but then RTDs bullshit always appealed to me more than Moffat's does.

I liked her new wig. It actually made her look... important?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terry Grunthouse posted:

It was called The Magician's Apprentice because clearly young Davros was a student at Hogwarts

And a Hufflepuff no less. Potato.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eiba posted:

New blood is good in general. I bet Gatiss, for instance, has a great idea for a new tone and theme that would be really cool and fitting given his involvement in the show for so long.

I always imagine Gatiss's take on the series would be more quiet and thoughtful stories, more akin to Classic Who, which would probably suit Capaldi down to the ground too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: It's happening! :siren:

Ten/Donna adventures from Big Finish!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terror of the Zygons is one of my favourite classic Who stories. Despite being filmed in Sussex, it really manages to capture the sense of isolation in the Highlands well. A lot of Scotland is beautifully desolate and empty, just with small pockets of civilisation here and there outside the cities. We see an inn, a clinic, a castle, roads, but aside from our regulars and a couple of stragglers, there's a very real sense of emptiness about the place.

I had Terror on VHS as a kid, where it was edited into one long Hammer-esque film, and I loved it. One of its main reasons being that it is so drat creepy. Harry and Sarah-Jane in the hayloft, as mentioned above is a very human horror moment, as ostensibly it's one person trying to kill another in a rather brutal way, not just an alien trying to bloodlessly zap someone.

Special praise must be given to the casting of the Sister, whose bulging eyes make her all the more unsettling. The shot of her in the woods after the reintroduction of long-running companion Mr. Rock especially stands out, looking around to see if anyone has seen what she's done.

The Zygons themselves are a great design, and I'm surprised it took NuWho so long to bring them back (as well as the fact that they never came back in the Classic era either). I was especially pleased that Nick Briggs managed to copy the sibilant whispering of their speech so perfectly. "Immediately, commander."

It occurs to me that I now own it on dvd, but haven't yet watched it at all. Time to fix that. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Did you notice that the Zygon gives them a lift in the first episode when he had no reason to

:aaa: Huh. I never clocked that until now. Maybe it was the real duke? Presumably they actually let the real people out now and again, otherwise why bother keeping them dressed?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would also be interested in seeing what Ben Aaronovitch might do if he was given another go at it (I read the most recent Rivers of London book a couple of months back).

That would be great to see, loving the RoL series.

If anyone here hasn't read the Rivers of London series, get thee to a bookstore, they're very, very good. Chock full of Who references, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I've always been real cynical about "fandom" as a culture, especially post-#GG. New, younger, "Tumblr" fandom has its better qualities (and its worse ones), but "fandom" often perpetuates a lowercase-c conservative orthodoxy that stifles stuff like Doctor Who.

There are definitely words here, but damned if I know what they mean. GG?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The biggest travesty was having the Special Weapons dalek speak. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I laughed for a good minute after the chair reveal. That was genuinely hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think if we count all the books and such Skaro and Gallifrey are actually even on the "number of times blown up and then not" scale.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Nine_Gallifreys

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kikka posted:

I still think the mixed Daleks are the propmaster getting lazy for visual interest.

How is tracking down original 60s-style Daleks to go with your deliberately 60-s styled Dalek city lazy?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even Dalek Sek was a fan prop.

Indeed, the original sits in an office window just off Warren Street in London.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

Is he the black one? The sports car one? He is my favourite.

He is indeed!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

remusclaw posted:

I mean one guy just unloads bullets into a Cybermans mouth hole from point blank range.

...when was this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not tax paid

The TV licence fee is a tax.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I watched Rose again for the first time in ages recently because a friend of mine was interested in trying some Who, and the day before had mentioned he didn't like mannequins. It's.. not aged well. The weird Vaseline lens takes some getting used to.

We also watched Eleventh Hour, and he enjoyed that immensely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The collector got guilted into giving up that ep3?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Eh. Maybe the transmat is still in the cellar?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Internet's reaction has been a resounding 'meh' all over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd argue that The Doctor's Wife isn't a good episode for someone who's never seen the show before. It's a very good episode, but the reason why it's highly regarded is because of the history it brings with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ha, I was going to post that.

This was a good episode for sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Was it mentioned that the top hat ghost looked like whatever race David Walliams was in the God Complex? The race of cowards?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

I made these!

All those control panels - especially the big map - in the control room are so, so washed out because of a printing issue. loving gutted.

Episode was cracking, though.

When they pushed buttons, they lit up. Was that digital effects added afterwards?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

JOHN HURT IS THE WAR DOCTOR FOR BIG FINISH FOR 12 EPISODES!!!!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

gently caress YES. That's going to be so amazing!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

surc posted:

! First the tennant + tate confirmation, now John Hurt? LIFE IS GOOD.

Actually, the Tate/Tennant thing hasn't been confirmed yet...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sooooon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

He also did try to warn us about the danger of plastics.

It's about time the people who run this planet of yours realised that to be dependent on a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm going to buy it just because it's actual Doctor Who Lego, and hopefully off the back of its popularity they eventually make more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A source that is apparantly trustworthy claims they have a small set designed for every Doctor.

Where'd you read that? It's awesome news if true!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cass' translator, Lunn, has the most amazing eyebrows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

If the Doctor has “attack eyebrows,” what name would we give this gentleman’s?

The Eyebrows of Reasonable Comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

I'm guessing you're rooting for Tamal tonight then?

You don't know me!

:allears:

• Locked thread