Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

A Moffat explosion, I hope it all gets coherent in part two. Seems like they're going for a blend of Genesis of the Daleks and Terror Firma.

Things that were good:
- Michelle Gomez is awesome
- The Master says "yeah, I survived, deal with it" instead of a convoluted "Cult of Saxon" esque explanation
- Great opening scene
- The scene with Missy and Clara in the square

Things that were bad:
- I have decided that the humans with the Dalek stalk are pretty stupid
- Asking around for the Doctor (didn't he remove himself from everyone's records? Why would random people at the Maldovarium know him?), seemed like a weak way to introduce the snake guy, and it was super fanwanky
- The snake guy
- The Doctor playing guitar on a tank, I'm sure Peter Capaldi was having the time of his life filming that scene but it was so cringeworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

I have a question

The gently caress was the Doctor doing on Skaro in the ancient past?

He has near total control over the TARDIS now. The gently caress was he doing there

"I've been too methodical recently, I think, setting coordinates and things, actually deciding where we want to go. I've been getting far too safe and predictable these last few incarnations. Do you know I once traveled for centuries without ever knowing where I'd materialize next? I thought it was time we put a bit more mystery in our lives. Let the TARDIS take us where she wants, and let us revel in the giddy thrill of our ignorance."

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Okay, the second part was way better than the first part. I think the whole subplot of "the planes have stopped" with UNIT kind of dragged the first episode down a bit, seeing as how you could have eliminated it and the plot wouldn't have suffered. Just have Missy confront Clara in the school or something and the whole thing is unnecessary. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the UNIT and Kate Stewart stuff as much as I hate Vastra and company, but if you're going to have them in the story, don't make them completely ancillary to the plot.

Also, I'm pretty pumped for Tennant and Donna Big Finish audios.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Dabir posted:

Eleven healed River Song's hand in The Angels Take Manhatten. Which makes even less sense because Eleven didn't have any regenerations left.

I always thought that was him returning the remaining regeneration energy River had previously transferred to him during Let's Kill Hitler.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That was a really good episode, can't wait for part two. I think whoever guessed that the Doctor is in the box is right. Also, pretty sure the fact that the translator had never been in the ship and seen the words on the wall was what kept him alive when he was cornered.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I really liked that two parter, spreading it out only seemed to strengthen the story. Even though the second part seemed comparatively quicker in pace, if it was just one episode I think it would have been a rushed mess. The Fisher King monster was definitely some good nightmare fuel, especially when it was in the shadows talking to the Doctor. And even though it seemed out of place with the rest of the story, I really liked the intro with Capaldi monologuing at the camera (I was a fan of the one in Listen as well). It reminded me of the Big Finish audios where Paul McGann gives a good, story related monologue, like in Scherzo. It worked in this episode as a way of hanging a lantern on the time travel resolution of the story, and if it actually is foreshadowing for more stuff with the Time Lords, it'll be even more brilliant. I forget who mentioned that first, but it seems like a fair jump considering the Fisher King seemed to know an awful lot about the Time Lords.

Also, I guess we got our "Bad Wolf" of the season with the Minister of War thing. I honestly prefer when they hint at season long arcs like that, rather than semi-awkwardly including them as part of the story (like they did with Missy last season). Usually it makes episodes suffer a little bit on rewatch.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

That's a very excellent question, and if you look over there at that enormously distracting thing, I believe you'll find your answer.

This seems like it should be a quote from Matt Smith's Doctor.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I wasn't a really big fan of this episode, I feel like they couldn't decide if they were writing a comedy episode or a dramatic one, so they tried to Aaron Sorkin it and do both, and it didn't work very well. Not sure where they're even going with it as a two parter, but if the second part ends up being good, then the first part is going to basically be the Maisie Williams origin story and nothing more.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

In more interesting news, here's Maisie Williams with a camera on location, watching Peter Capaldi demonstrate his yo-yo skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWpwNi7cleY

I liked Capaldi's Tom Baker voice.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

When did he and Tate do that run of Much Ado About Nothing as Benedick and Beatrice?

I think it was in 2011.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Caught up with the last two episodes, everything was worth it for that scene with the Doctor in the Black Archive. Capaldi really knocked that out of the park. The entire first part was kind of terrible though, and I agree with whoever said it probably could have been better as a single episode story.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Kate Stewart is awful.

I kind of liked Kate Stewart when she first turned up, she was all about being her own person rather than just the Brigadier's daughter, and she was all about science and changing the way UNIT did things. It seems like with every subsequent appearance, they've just turned her into a stand-in for the Brig, losing the science and being more military. Hell, she even said "Five rounds rapid!" in this last episode.

Also, it seems like the guy writing this two parter didn't quite know what kind of show Doctor Who was, and Moffat had to step in for part two. In part one, the Doctor just goes along with the plan of killing all the Zygons as they're preparing the UNIT raid and just casually says that it would be nice to have one alive. I kept waiting for him to shut down the UNIT commander who was mandating that the Zygons all get shot, but all he did was protest the drone strike. He didn't even try to stop it, which I felt could have easily been accomplished with the sonic, rather than have the drone operator see Zygons posing as her family and not be able to go through with it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I caught up with the last two episodes. Sleep No More was kinda terrible, but I really enjoyed Face The Raven. It reminded me of Utopia in that it seemed like it would be a standalone episode but then it segued wonderfully into whatever three part finale Moffat's got planned (I just hope that the other two parts don't fall as flat as The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords did). And much like Utopia, it was a great episode that was very well written. I feel like Clara's gotten a better death scene than some previous Doctors have, and certainly one of the best exits for a companion. That is, if they stick with it. I'd hate for a last minute cop-out with how great her final scene was.

Anyone else think the symbols on the teleport ring looked a bit Time Lord-y? If they're behind it, that might be why Ashildur took the confession dial. I know that most of them are probably grateful that he saved Gallifrey in the Time War, but he did kind of piss off Rassilon in The End of Time.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

echoplex posted:

Re: people saying the current TARDIS isn't a very good dramatic space or that it isn't used properly:

That, and all the various shutdown/start up sequence lights were lovely. Shame some of the impact screens we did didn't show up but the shots were great.

I had the thought while watching the episode that this was a beautiful shot. I also really dug the whole moving parts castle, it reminded me of Myst.

Very good episode, nice twists in the story that I didn't see coming. I'm interested to see where they go with the Time Lords. Kind of hoping the Master shows up again, she had the confession dial in the opener after all.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Davros1 posted:

They can use them because they're playing BBC created characters, but I'm not sure about anything else from the TVM. Example, BF can't use Grace or Chang Lee.

I thought they used a sound clip from the TV movie when Professor Yana is hearing things from the chameleon arch? Or am I mistaken?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I really liked that episode. I thought it was actually a very refreshing change for a season finale in that the stakes were one person's life (Clara) instead of the entire universe. It reminded me a lot of Neverland, in that the Doctor wasn't willing to give up on trying to save his companion and whatever the Time Lords thought be damned. I do have a hard time believing that Rassilon just up and left, considering how fire and brimstone he was portrayed in The End of Time, but I recognize that they had to deal with that plot thread before resolving the plot of the hybrid and Clara's death. But I guess Rassilon fizzling out in a fit of ego falls in line with his character, considering what happens with him in Neverland and The Next Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I really enjoyed the Christmas Special. Like Jerusalem said, it was goofy fun without being too goofy or on the nose with the Christmas stuff, and the stuff with River once she realized he was the Doctor was fantastic. It was a good final episode for her character.

• Locked thread