Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was a glorious mess. Missy's needlessly complicated plan was to stop thousands of planes and freak out everyone on earth, so Unit would find Clara, so Clara could hear the message from Missy, and then Unit would transport Clara, snipers and security mooks to the mediterranean for a quick chat. And it was all completely unnecessary since Missy knows exactly where Clara lives and could have dropped in for a chat at will.

I love all the pointless vignettes too. It shows that there are stories and adventures going on all around us and only a tiny fraction of them ever make it into the show. It sparks the imagination. What is a suicide moon? Why is a service Ood in a bar? When did Clara get the chance to judge Jane Austen's kissing ability? Does the sisterhood just stand around on rocks all day so they can be mysterious if someone drops in? It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EatinCake posted:

Snake guy was cool in concept, as were he swamp hand things in the beginning. Lots of floating good ideas!

Where does the snake collective keep the nose though? One of those snakes is slithering around with a humanoid nose on it's back.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TL posted:

So can anyone explain to me why the hell the episode called the Magician's Apprentice?

It's Clara. She is both the Magician's Apprentice (Doctor's companion) and the Witch's Familiar (Master's pet).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rannos22 posted:

That's a real crap reason because you could say that about every episode Clara has been in since at least the last season. That title deserved a better episode than this.

Titles are mostly kinda dumb. Except for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. That one delivered exactly what was on the tin.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

Handmines . . . arms race

Heh.

How will we ever win this horrible arms race? Wait, I have an idea!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

It must be really loving annoying to live on Karn, every time someone visits you all have to light up the torches and arrange yourselves dramatically across the landscape.

No, they do that every day. They are immortal. They've read all the books and had all the conversations. There is nothing left to be done on Karn, but they will never leave.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Croatoan posted:

These are the first Peter Capaldi episodes I've really liked but those sunglasses are dumb. Please lose them by the next episode.

I wear sunglasses now. Sunglasses are cool.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mokinokaro posted:

Into the Dalek showed just that. They're cyborgs with a computer enforcing most of their thoughts. Clara's hookup just filtered instead of outright cancelling.

The filter was silly but it didn't bother me. It's a Dalek telepathic hookup explicitly designed to work with Dalek brains. Plus she'd been in there less than an hour or so. The interface being a little buggy when a new brain is hooked up seems pretty plausible. She was also untrained and her thoughts were unfocused, so the interface was probably having to filter out a lot of mental 'noise' and un-dalek-like thoughts were filtered out as mistakes. Eventually she would have been able to exert more control over it, like Oswin Oswald did.

I really liked Missy's throwaway line that the Cybermen suppress emotion and the Daleks channel it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr Beens posted:

Didn't like it overall. Some good bits but like last week it was all just too disjointed.
The whole "haha, see I knew what you were doing all along and it was actually my plan all this time do stop you in this particular way. Oh by the way the tardis can disintergrate and reform it's self now." Was just awful and rushed, and made no real sense.

I love that apparently now the TARDIS is actively in on the joke. 'Missy and Clara teleported away instead of being killed, guess I'll just play along and atomize myself until the Doctor needs me.'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I liked it. I bet Toxx gives it an A.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CobiWann posted:

But if the Doctor knew it was a trap, he had a plan to get out of it...so why would he act like this was the end especially if he had the "I'm going to regenerate the sewers" plan? Unless he absolutely believed this was the end, but I never got that sense from his actions or the dialogue.

Maybe he didn't think he'd die, he just sent the thing to the Master to see if she'd show up on his terms rather than waiting for her next big scheme. He wasn't trying to fool us, he was trying to fool her. Keep her busy figuring out the puzzle and she doesn't get bored and kill (many) people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sunglasses are cool.

Well, sunglasses used to be cool. In tyool 2015 a guy fiddling with his sunglasses like that just reminds everyone of Google Glass. :rolleyes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PriorMarcus posted:

Jubilee.

Also, it bothers the gently caress out of me that's there's no consistency to Moffat'a Daleks. Instead of the red supreme Dalek being charge here why wasn't it the same Dalek Supreme that was leading parliament?

Why do some humans preserve old artefacts in museums, and other humans deliberately destroy artefacts? Humans are so inconsistent! Bad writing IMO, all humans should want the same things.

Daleks aren't a hivemind. They broadly value the same things, but they are emotional individuals, not cybermen. Maybe the Dalek Supreme from the Dalek parliament is still in the Dalek parliament doing parliamentary things -- this supreme Dalek is the leader of this particular group of Daleks. Some Daleks were feeling a little nostalgic and decided to rebuild Skaro and take care of Davros despite neither of those things helping them conquer the universe. Daleks can have hobbies too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Given it's a show about time travel, even though both Asylum and this two-parter start in the present day of when each episode was aired, there's no reason to assume the bits on Skaro and the Asylum take place in the same part of Dalek history.

Good idea. It is possible that Skaro became an asylum after the insane mutants rose from the sewers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

I thought Into the Dalek did a nice job of providing some much needed context to that utterly stupid "hive-mind" nonsense (an internal computer system monitoring the Daleks' thought-processes and censoring/blocking stuff in order to keep their thoughts "pure"), but it is another case of the Daleks being written very inconsistently from one appearance to the next.

Dalek technology evolves. It's perfectly possible that some daleks had had the computer super-ego, and some (most) never did. Some Daleks think human-dalek hybrids might be a good idea, while other Daleks will exterminate their own kind for not being sufficiently pure. The daleks are having stories and advancements even when we aren't watching. Billions of Daleks over thousands (millions?) of years, and we mostly only see them when they chose to interact with humanity or the Doctor. When they stole Adipose 3 we didn't find out about it until the Adipose tried using Earth as a nursery world, and we didn't find out the Daleks were the ones responsible until they took Earth too.

Their ultimate goal of universal conquest remains the same, but they try a lot of different ways to get there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

Other than The Doctor's Wife, what other agreed upon worthwhile episodes were there in Series 6? Am I forgetting some because I honestly can't think of many. The God Complex, maybe? Let's Kill Hitler? :v:

Let's Kill Hitler isn't so bad as long as you ignore everything before Mels turns into River. Well, everything except Rory. Rory is good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rhyno posted:

But those parts with Mels are so, so bad.

Agreed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

Doctor Who is kind of a show for all ages, so I don't really understand why it's strange to include children as characters in a show about the adventures of a mad man with a blue box.

It is hard to find a skilled actor who is also a child. It's possible for a child to be a good actor, but mostly children are busy learning how to be human rather than perfecting the craft of theatre. Nobody wants to watch a bad actor, regardless of age.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

qntm posted:

Mainly because this totally breaks an incredible number of stories! Usually some kind of "We're part of events now!"-esque excuse gets invented to explain why it's not possible to do this. And/or the TARDIS gets isolated from everybody else. I was honestly slightly surprised that this didn't happen this time around.

He probably thinks it will be okay this time because he doesn't intend to interfere with events, merely observe them. No paradox there, unless something goes wrong.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I liked it. Eye-rolled a bit at vibration-o-vision.

I heard about dancers who feel the vibration of the beat of the music to keep time when I was a kid, so I expected her to be able to feel the vibration from the heavy chunk of metal scraping along the ground. I guess the thick military boots muffled it a bit for her. Doctor Who is also a show for kids, and some kids won't have thought about the implications of being deaf and paying more attention to your other senses when you lose one, so telegraphing that isn't that bad.

Likewise the strait up announcing the paradox at the beginning and end of the episode. For long time fans of sci fi (and anyone old enough to have watched Bill and Ted's and the Back to the Future movies) this is old hat. But for an important segment of the audience this is a completely novel line of thought. When I was 10 this would have blown my mind. And stretching your brain to consider the implications of paradoxes rather than just going 'space magic!' is a good thing. I'm willing to give the show a pass on spending a couple minutes having Grandpa Who spell things out to make sure that segment of the audience gets it.

As for the Lobster King, come on, that is totally going to be a returning species. No way do they put that much work into a costume and only use it once. They didn't over-saturate him here so we'll want to see more. Always leave them wanting more.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Am I the only one who googles something when the Doctor tells me to google it? How did no one post this yet?
Radio Times explanation of the bootstrap paradox: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-10/doctor-who-what-is-the-bootstrap-paradox

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaz-L posted:

Mostly by value of the Doctor himself. Hard to have that feeling when the main source of unknowable godlike power is entirely benevolent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Y'all are obsessed with ISIS. The message was clearly that Americans ruin everything. :911: How can you not see that?

The Zygons whole schtick is perfect camouflage. Perfect assimilation. Then the baby zygons were put in a situation where assimilation is all but impossible. The ones that went bad were sent to America, where they literally refer to non-citizens living in America as "resident aliens". Aliens. These kids were put in a situation where they would be discriminated against as aliens, but not the kind of aliens they actually are. So they are simultaneously pretending to blend in and be normal as hard as they can, and being treated as outsiders who will never fit in. Americans in general like the British more than most other potential immigrant groups, and a few hundred of them could probably drop into any large city and fit in immediately, but dropping a bunch of them into a tiny town (less than 7000 people) in New Mexico of all places was doomed. No jobs, no homes, no support network. Resented and told to go home. And then they start dying.

Those particular zygons going "gently caress this, let's go back 'home' to the UK" is perfectly understandable. People treated them like poo poo until they they started fighting back. The moral of the story: don't treat people like poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just like this episode he probably didn't mean to have an anti-immigration metaphor but there was one. Because he's a moron.

"Don't be a dick to immigrants" isn't really an anti-immigration message.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I did like that Kate Stewart actually did things this episode. Usually she just stands around being an exposition dump. She didn't even mention her dad once! I wouldn't say it is a great episode, but it's probably my favorite Kate Stewart appearance.

Osgood was also better than average. She's gone beyond solely an audience-insert Doctor fangirl and actually gotten a purpose in life. She's still a fangirl, but that's not all she is.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

saucerman posted:

I don't understand how it is possible that humanity treated Zygons like cattle. After all, how would anyone know who is a Zygon or not?

20 million Zygons were born in the UK. They were kept in what must have seemed little better than overcrowded cattle pens for weeks or months while the humans scrambled to find places to send them all. Then they were shipped off with no choice in their final destination, and abandoned to fend for themselves in strange places. Some of them were sent to unsuitable places where a group of odd 'British' people would not easily integrate, just to get rid of them. The humans who knew who they were treated them like a huge hassle, a burden.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My biggest question from the first episode remains unanswered:

Why would an anti-human Zygon nationalist pick a cute tee hee human name rather than a Zygon name?

The kid is messed up. She never saw the Zygon homeworld, she was born on earth. She spent her whole life speaking english. Watching human TV and absorbing human culture. Not that strange that she has internalized some mixed messages about what is valuable and attractive.

Or maybe Bonnie was the name of her initial human identity and she's just holding onto it out of spite.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if the 2 little girls in the High Command were actually the leaders of the previous revolution? lol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OldMemes posted:

Well they must have gotten to Earth somehow. Earth took the zygons in - a race who previously attacked Earth, remember and gave them all identies, with the only condition being "please disguise yourself, aside from, that, you're good", then a few radicals try and ruin that? The Doctor should have kicked the radicals off earth - if they can't respect the humans or the majority of peaceful zygon's wishes, why should they get to speak for the entire species? The episodes goes to great efforts to show that most zygons are against the plan, and are actively treating the rebels as criminals. He should have put Bonnie on an uninhabited planet as irnonic punishment, in a "you wanted to force your will on the world? here you go, here's an entire planet for you, go nuts".

The Doctor's monologue was great though.

The radicals became radicals after some of them were murdered by humans, remember? Humans fired the first shot. One Zygon lost control of it's form and was killed, but that wasn't the only one. In the police station we see that several of them were killed. As part of a group of British people that all dropped into town together it was easy to identify them even if they held their disguises. Friends, family members, people they've known all their lives are getting gunned down by panicked americans, and no one is coming to help them. No one is going to stop it. When Bonnie has members of UNIT killed she says "Kill the traitors" not "Kill the humans." She feels betrayed by UNIT, the humans who authored the agreement and were supposed to keep them safe.

They are only 2 years old, which for their species is physically and cognitively adults, but they still have very little life experience. I think the Doctor's plan is to try to hold the situation together and prevent all out war until the newborn Zygons accumulate the life experience to make good decisions. Bonnie and her crew still aren't happy with the way things have gone, but now they are thinking like adults, not angry adolescents. They are trying to make things work, rather than tear them down. They know what went wrong in New Mexico, so they can be on the lookout for similar situations and try to head off future crisis points. That makes them more useful on Earth than in exile.

Yeah, this time around 7000 people died, mostly human. But that's still better than the millions on both sides who would die if all out war breaks out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do they have spaceships to take them somewhere else? Do they have somewhere to go? It's a classic Hobson's Choice, one that industry owners and the like have abused through all of history. "Sure, this job may be unsafe and you may be paid a pittance and only in money you can only spend in shops I own, but you're free to go and starve if you want". Were you in favour of Don't Ask, Don't Tell as well?

They didn't personally agree to the treaty, it was agreed for them.

I don't know why people say Jim Crow laws are oppression, this guy says they're actually really good

They probably don't have working spaceships, because their original invasion was 500 hundred years ago, remember? They got to Elizabethan England, where they could easily conquer the primitive locals, but they didn't like it because it was too primitive. So they hid in paintings and waited for iPods to be invented.

The invading Zygons didn't want their own planet. The Doctor could have transported them all to that planet where he dropped off the dinosaurs or some other planet that hasn't been colonized as of 2015, but that isn't what they want. They don't want them and their 20 million children to have to start building civilization from scratch as subsistence farmers on an uninhabited planet. They want a world with power plants, metallurgy, and maybe even the chance at spacecraft again in the next 100 years. Who knows, maybe the ones who arrived here didn't have any surviving engineers or scientists, so they need our engineers and inventors not just our dirtball. Their goal was conquest.

The baby Zygons were born here and had nothing to do with any of that. But as a whole Zygons aren't innocent victims of human xenophobia.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

adhuin posted:

Is everyone else reading the fifteen times like this?

My take on the Fifteen times is that the Doctor Redid his argument and monologue fifteen times, until he got it right and convinced both sides that the peace is the answer.
The room can't wipe the whole worlds memory of a Zygon uprising. It can wipe only those who are physically in the room, thus 15 retakes of the argument.

Basically Doctor Save-Scummed all the dialogue options for the win.

That's amazing. I bet you're right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OldMemes posted:

The entire issue was because the zygons were lazy.

"We could rebulid a new homeworld, but..... :effort: "

That kind of depends on which Zygons survived the disaster that lost them their homeworld. We never see exact numbers, but it looks like there are no more than a few hundred Zygon adults in the initial invasion. If the surviving adults were all soldiers and arts majors* then they may not have the skills to rebuild a technologically advanced civilization. Then they hatch out their 20 million babies, who without a sapient species to imprint on have no education or skills of their own.

On an uninhabited world they'd be thrown back to iron age subsistence farming. Survival is not assured.

*Not a dis against arts majors. The only particularly advanced tech we see them use in the initial invasion is the timelord art. It's possible the entire invasion was planned and executed by the staff of a gallery or museum. They escaped the homeworld with a single ship, a dormant brood and a bunch of timelord art and tried to make the best of things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Acne Rain posted:

the soldiers surrendering to their mother was stupid

It was stupid. I'm not sure a soldier shooting his mother while she begs for her life would have been better though. Not a great message for kids.

Then again "don't listen to your mother, she is probably just going to lure you into a church and kill you" isn't a great message for kids either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

I just wanted to say, when thinking about it again, that Clara isn't necessarily brought into realizing that she's in a simulation/hallucination/dream of some kind because she's necessarily that smart, or because she gets a feeling, or anything like that. In fact, it's not really on her at all that she realizes what's going on.

It was just really lovely at being convincing.

True. Though after Last Christmas she might be especially sensitive to noticing when she's stuck in lovely dream worlds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sad King Billy posted:

I haven't seen the episode, was it a person that just happened to be transexual, or was the fact she was transexual rammed down your throats?

I had no idea she was trans. She was supposed to be a vat-grown super soldier though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainCaveman posted:

I liked the setup, I liked the "we don't have helmet cams bit," sleep eye sand mucus monsters was a dumb explanation but I was willing to roll with it. That could have been a pretty good episode if it had an actual ending but it really did feel like they just stopped short.

I guess there wasn't an ending because the show was from the POV of sand cameras on the station, and they were destroyed at the end? So they didn't see whatever happened next, and maybe the Doctor fixed the problem?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

^^^ exactly!

dark_archon posted:

Yeah, but then at the end the guy claims he lied about everything he said, that the process did not change since the beginning like he claimed etc.
So... What was up with that then. Why go all the way for such a deliberate ruse for no real payoff. The whole thing seems like a confusing mess to me. I think I'll need to rewatch it to make any sense of it.

But this will have to wait as it's 3am here in the UK. If only one could get a full night's sleep in just 5 minutes...

The process remained the same, but the signal embedded in the video would lead to a sandman creating chain reaction, maybe? It was hard to follow, the guy lied a lot and also was turning into dust so he may not have been thinking clearly.

Obviously that guy knew nothing about viral videos though. Time and productivity is so important to these people that they don't sleep anymore, so who has time to watch a 40 minute shaky cam video? If you want everyone to watch it as soon as they hear about it, then it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes long. And the signal that turns you into a sandman producer should be at the beginning, not the end, because no matter how great you think your masterpiece is some people are going to turn it off after 10 seconds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If the scientist guy was a sandman the whole time, that means the Sandmen are sapient, right? So the Doctor thinks he just genocided another sapient species.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AndyElusive posted:

Coincidentally I watched what I think is the same video yesterday night and yeah I chuckled when 11 did his dance. The game looks pretty loving ridiculously cute and I dig its attention to detail.

Linking the video for anygoon interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a442O-EPK70

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We have a few goons that watch the show with little kids, right? How are kids taking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

It probably wouldn't have been a good idea at all to pass the murder-tat to Me, even if the terms of the agreement worked to allow it. Trap Street is an uneasy peace, the only thing keeping the place safe was her and the deal with the Raven; if she took it, then both of those are going out the window, and even if someone did step up to replace her they probably wouldn't be able to keep it going.

God drat this was a good episode.

Could have passed it to the Doctor though. The Doctor would probably be able to survive it, and a blast of regeneration energy would have gotten rid of the teleporter too.

Probably best if it can only be transferred once.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He can't actually get to them though. New York's spacetime around the era they got zapped to was hosed up six ways to Sunday by the Angel's constant feeding. It's more like that sneaky little bit on the Elysium when you see Eleven's suddenly got his jacket back on and tells Amy she needs to remember.

He can't get to them in new york. He could have gone to wisconsin, and sent them a letter telling them to come meet him in wisconsin. :colbert:

• Locked thread