Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

Fairly sure this series isn't going to have Missy running around in a string bikini and torn pantyhose for absurdly contrived reasons, though?

No, just Jenny sat around in her underwear instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

And More posted:

Wasn't that the same space bar where the Doctor met the blue fat guy? I got the impression that they wanted me to have an emotional connection to that place, but I didn't.

Yeah, I was more excited to see the Shadow Proclamation again - but then RTDs bullshit always appealed to me more than Moffat's does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

The Tardis got blown up as well, and it looked more convincing than in Journey's End.

No it didn't. In Journey's end the entire interior was set alight, they blew out the windows on a practical model and everyone had time to react as the TARDIS was destroyed. Here, a single large gun shot it once and the screen faded to white with a Video CoPilot effect explosion, no one reacted for very long and that was it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So how many new characters were actually named in that episode? I can't remember any (I know there were half a dozen named in the credits, were they actually referred to by name in the programme itself?)

Also "Colony Sarrf" just makes me wonder if there's a Colony North as well

If this really was like a RTD script there definitely would've been a joke about his brother being Colony Narrf - who'd be gay.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MEEEEEEEE

(Or, more accurately, a trip back to Producer/Script Editor land because I don't think it's any coincidence that the quality of the scripts supplied by the show runner absolutely nosedived over their runs)

When my ratings list is finally finished there's a big chance that the bottom 3 rated producers will be Nathan-Turner, Davies and Moffat. In fact I think it's almost guaranteed at this point.

Strictly as a Producer though Davies was loving amazing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. People just throw out writers that have done good stories as possible showrunners with no idea at all if they are qualified to do the job. Writing for a show is completely different to managing the shows output.

As evidenced by Moffat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I really have no reason to watch the show anymore for my Doctor Who fix.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It comes up because Moffat himself keeps saying that he's closer to the end of his tenure than the beginning.

When he last said that he was actually closer the start than the end. Seriously.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

At least she only died once.

Like the Ten Pity Party before his end, that was fine because he was a vain fucker and it was all about how he didn't want to go.

11 has been for real going to die like twice now, and I really hope they aren't shaping up the same plot thread for 12

Three times. Lake Silenco, Trenzalore in the future and Trenzalore in the past.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

ahahahaha literally when

Jubilee.

Also, it bothers the gently caress out of me that's there's no consistency to Moffat'a Daleks. Instead of the red supreme Dalek being charge here why wasn't it the same Dalek Supreme that was leading parliament? Or even one of the new designs they spent an entire episode justifying and are still all over promotional materials? Seriously; they had all those Dalek designs in a room together and not a singular new paradigm one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

cargohills posted:

Romana's just the best.

It's a shame we will never see Romana III on TV.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

And More posted:

I don't really get this part. What does she have to do with Moffat's gently caress up? Skinner was executive producer on series 7. Was she supposed to save that series somehow after Moffat had screwed up producing series 5?

It's because they were loving .

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm guessing Jenna Coleman is going appear in Class at least as a recurring character after she leaves Doctor Who. Unless, of course, she gets a bad ending when she leaves, like Rose, Donna, and Amy/Rory got.

In addition, there's going to be a compilation on Blu Ray of the ten Christmas specials.

I can see her showing up in the first episode, but after that she'll probably be done. She's been wanting to leave the main show practically since she signed the contract so there's no way she will stick around for a kids orientated spin-off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I loved that episode. Really, really good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

The Time War being depicted in the W/10/11 crossover was a Time War after all the temporal jiggery pokery was exhausted, leading to the final battle being a much more practical boots-on-the-ground slog.

I do agree with you going forward, though, cuz the meat and potatoes of the Last Great Time War is undepictable in the linear time we live in.

The idea that the final days of Time War was just the last survivors fighting in the mud is a novel one, it's just that it was portrayed like Star Wars and had a Looney toons ending. And I'm still not entirely convinced that idea wasn't thought up because Moffat couldn't come up with anything more imaginative.

I really would've prefered he left well alone.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Baron Snow posted:

My cousin just sent me this

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I hope they keep the guitar going forward for Capaldi. That was amazing.

My favourite two parter in a very long time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

The Doctors fourth wall breaking monologue to the camera was a littlw strange, until I realised there is no reason it can't fit into continuity of the episode. If the camera zoomed out a little bit as the Doctor picked up the guitar we'd probably see O'Donnell looking all fangirl excited with the other dude just sitting there going :wtf:.

Kind of sad that didn't happen, the Doctor hamming it up for O'Donnell would have built up the idea of her being a potential companion and given her death more weight.

Talking to the audience is kind of Twelve's thing. He did it at the start of Listen as well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is Capaldi getting his new console room tonight? I could've sworn I read that somewhere.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

What?!? I hope this isn't true as the current control room is the best of the revival.

Also in the first glimpse of Twelve in the 50th he's clearly in the current one.

Nah, that's Eleven's first one. But, yeah, supposedly were due one this season or maybe in the Christmas special.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Jack is essentially a glitch in the Universe created by the TARDIS being used to do something it never should, a medical device is entirely different.

I assume Jack was made immortal because he's a time traveller, but didn't Bad Wolf ressurect a load of people on Satellite Five that day?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So, interesting bit of gossip; Nine's inclusion in the 50th got as far as the story boarding phase for the entire episode, with The Moment being played by a young Amy - called Raggedy Girl, rather than a Bad Wolf possessed Rose.

Apparently the reason Christopher eventually left was because of budget problems with the 50th Anniversary changing plans and delaying the filming so he would've had to leave another project he'd already signed up for, otherwise he was perfectly happy to reprise his role.

Further to this at one point the 50th was going to be three episodes, ending with Day of the Doctor, but as it became obvious the show hadn't recovered from passed budget mistakes these three episodes became Name, Day and Time respectively - with Matt Smith's regeneration being forced into the last one due to Smith wanting out following the behind the scenes drama.

All of this comes from a storyboarding artist who recently published a book with some of the Ninth Doctor scenes from the 50th in it and has been appearing at conventions to promote it. He also story boarded for the shows Seventh series.

Here's some of the storyboards; http://imgur.com/a/IrsmU

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 18, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there's not some obvious hook through the season so far. No Cracks, no Bad Wolf (seriously, that sounds like it was made from a random bag of scrabble letters), nothing. I mean there is the cloister bell but there hasn't been some kind of "Hey look people, look at that!" stuff with it.

The hybrid, the War Minister, the Doctor's confessional dial, the Master and the Dalek's.

The hybrid is definitely an on going plot because the Doctor reacted with horror when he realised he'd made Astrid one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

THEY JUST ANNOUNCED A DOCTOR WHO* FILM!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

*About K9 and made by the Australian company that owns the rights!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Anyone watch the interview with them? Tate looks like she's about to burst into tears when Tennant is praising her.

Link?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I've been late watching this because of work.

That episode was loving awful.

Poor Capaldi looked so unegaged by the entire affair. Good lord.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Flea Wars posted:

It'd be nice to have some way of crossing this deep canyon.

Like some kind of high bridge?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Remember Amy's clock glitching out and showing a weird time?

The Doctor Who Twitter account just posted a screenshot of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't believe for a moment that's the actual reason why.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

DWM actually changed it for a while, but got a load of complaints, so they went back to VWORP VWORP

What did they change it too?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

When the final twist was being revealed I thought it would be that the monsters weren't real at all but rather vat grown like the Grunts and the professor had used the transmission to spread Morpheus because of the growing body of people who refused to use it, like the one marine here.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Back to good episodes. At last.

Clara at the end reminded me very much of Father Octavian in Time of Angels.

Octavian: Sir, the Angels are coming. You have to leave me!
The Doctor: You'll die.
Octavian: I will die in the knowledge that my courage did not desert me at the end. For that I thank God. And bless the path that takes you to safety.
The Doctor: I wish I'd known you better.
Octavian: I think, sir, you know me at my best.
The Doctor: Ready?
Octavian: Content.

https://vimeo.com/67087657

Yeah. This was a beautiful moment and a really well done death. It's a good thing they copy and pasted Clara's final moments twenty times so it was even better!

Joking aside, other than that though, it was an okay episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's going to be another sexy girl whose the most important person in the world to help the Doctor out when he faces his darkest day and greatest trial.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Oh cool, RTD's coming back!

None of those things are from RTD. That's Moffat.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Also, RTD never did the Doctor's darkest day and blackest test poo poo that Moffat does every season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Stabbatical posted:

Actually, she got her super-powers from a freak accident. If you trace it back, the universe was saved by Davros's lightning-hand and/or the Sycorax leader chopping off 10's hand.

Exactly. But Clara got her super-powers from bad writing.

Taken in the full context of her achievements Clara is the single most important person in the series after the Doctor himself. Her influence over his life extends further than any other companions, even his grand daughter.

It's nice and cathartic that in the end she was killed by a bird and a lens flare.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Moffat allows his writers to introduce world ending stakes all the time. It reached peak ridiculousness when that bad puppet robot was meant to be able to kill every human on Earth despite Danny Pink being able to defeat it by jumping. Danny Pink couldn't even defeat a car so the Skullballs Blitzer must've been really poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In the behind the scenes videos Mofffat clarifies that the entire episode is a fictional construct inside the Doctor's own confession dial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

pgroce posted:

re: Gallifrey -- I'd prefer most of the Doctor's mysteries remain obscure, but one I'd like explained is why Gallifrey is as barren and inhospitable as Skaro. You can't blame the Time War; it was like that in Invasion of Time. (And the practical reason is "because quarries.") The New Series has chosen to keep things that way, though, and I'm sure they would have given the place some more climate variety if they'd been inclined to.

It rankles me a bit that the civilization that has ostensibly Figured Everything Out and Owns All of You is living in a little bubble on a shattered planet. Or heck, maybe it's an excellent metaphor for colonialist capitalism, but I'd like it if the show made that a bit more intentional.

If you want to mess with the show's mythology, tell us about that. Keep the big stuff shrouded in mystery.

It's because Gallifrey is immeasurably ancient and the world itself long ago died. The grand cities are contained within the baubles because that contains their false atmosphere and ecology. That city might look small, but every building and corridor is bigger on the inside. If you measured the actual size of that city it would cover the entire Earth and theirs a few dozen of them on Gallifrey.

• Locked thread