Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
all things aside and having the usual mess of too many ideas, this was a fun ride that probably won't hold up to a second viewing but I have just one question. Just one.

Why does davros have a guy made of snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
somehow that scene worked out okay for me, but Doctor has always been a somewhat ridiculous character so this was never going to be like Road Rallying Captain Picard.

And after having an entire season of the Doctor being a big bellyaching grumpy guts it's nice to have him being a fun character again instead even if this is overcompensating a little. Still not half as absurd as like half the poo poo eleven got up to, and eleven was my favorite anyway.

(come to think playing Pretty Woman for Clara might be somewhat of a declaration that this season's going to be different since he spent half the last season calling her ugly but that might be reasing too far into things)

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 22, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Android Blues posted:

I figured that was directed at the Master, myself.

I think it's intentionally ambiguous if it's for missy, clara, or both, but I'd really like to think that it's not for Missy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gaz-L posted:

Also he's an old, dying man. You have to do something in your spare time at that age. Potter about in the shed out in the wasteland of Skaro while the kids are off doing genocide or whatever it is the young mutants do these days. Making a snake man passes the time and when you're done, it's even useful!

i assumed there's a planet of sneople out there, Davros just met one in the line at the space grocery store pharmacy and was like "hey I'll pay you to slither around and hiss at people menacingly"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I liked this episode. Felt a little more emotionally complex than usual and also far less bogged down with showing off silly ideas. I hope that the other two parters end up feeling this "in form" for me.

I don't get not seeing Clara as being resentful of Missy.
Clara's trying to survive. She throws in barbs about Missy being a killer but she kind of needs to have a time lord around, also being as useful and smart as possible extends her survival time around missy.

Also now that we know how much regeneration energy matters, with Dildoctor counting as a regeneration, I wonder how many extra lives Doctor has now. We don't know how many he had to start after he got uploaded with new ones, but it can't be an insignificant amount of energy to rejuvenate the entire dalek race. Feels like they're just being as arbitrary as possible and will just make the count "one" when they want things to be as serious as possible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
...I guess that I'm in the minority in liking this ep.
Oh well.

Though there's a lot of complaints I do not get. Like "too much quipping", this was less quippy than a usual episode. Or "shouldn't have explained Davros, everyone should know what a Davros is" I mean really? Davros has only appeared once in Newwho. Not everyone watching is a classic who supernerd who's watched the audiodramas and listened to the episodes and built there own sixth doctor coat.Some perspective might be lost here, I don't think a more casual fan would have that much familiarity with Davros's. And it was like, one line? Idg what's being argued here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Posts like

SiKboy posted:

So, given a 2 episode story, how long do you think they should have spent giving background information for the master, davros and the daleks? Should the Doctor and Clara also get introductions in case the viewers don't know who they are either?

cargohills posted:

I'd imagine most viewers of Doctor Who would care about Davros already, no?

seem to be in response to

MrL_JaKiri posted:

None of that groundwork was done in the latest two parter, instead spending most of the running time doing little vignettes for giffing. The only nod to it was the little clip-based refresher course Moffat did of "Here's why you should care about Davros!" which is obviously a completely wank way of doing it. Make me care, don't just tell me that I should.

So it's like one guy says they actually didn't do a good job explaining Davros in a show don't tell manner (fair) and the response is like "everyone knows about Davros, that doesn't matter" (what). I'm not really following most of the argument because people's post-episode character descriptions aren't really meshing with what I just watched so I'm probably just misreading something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
why are there so many monty python guys on that list

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's a little better in the context of 1) The Tardis at least since the beginning of the revival onwards has been shown to be alive and intelligent (maybe in the classic too idk) 2) That living machine has been the doctor's constant companion for all the decades of the show.

The pre-established history leads to the idea of the Tardis being a living thing that is the doctor's closest relationship where in any other case it would come off like that nanowrimo story about the sexy motorcycle. It's okay in this case, maybe overdoing it a little but the show is not unfamiliar with schmaltziness.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

whatsabattle posted:

*Not to be confused with THE COAT, a registered internet trademark of DoctorWhat LLC,

I'm hoping that Osgood not only reappears wearing The Coat, but she also has a scene where she attempts to strangle the Doctor

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
That was good. Lots of tension building and lots of stuff going on. Despite whatever contradictions are in the plot it was a great story to watch.

This is so much better than last season it is not funny.
Capaldi is finally getting to be the Doctor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well so far Doctor's attitude towards death has been "meh I should be dead anyway" so maybe they'll stop.

Also, I'm liking this season so far because it's just nice to see the Doctor not be an rear end in a top hat. Guitar and shades are fine, they're less annoying than constant attempts at new catchphrases.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Rick and Morty is sort of like Doctor Who, but in myth terms if the doctor is a benevolent wizard then rick is like a disinterested greek god.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
hm, I wouldn't actually mind if it turned out the Angels were a Time Lord invention. I mean, I like when their technology is so advanced that it just looks like normal objects like pocket-watches and sunglasses, it adds to their wizardly mystique, so Angel Statues fit there.
Plus the angels DO use time travel to attack.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yknow the doctor HAS met Satan, why hasn't there been an episode about the Doctor vs the Elder Things, lovecraftian unknowable things from beyond the veil would fit in with the current show so well. I mean flatline and some other monsters of the week have some lovecraft shades but straight up saying, "yeah we're doing lovecraft things this episode, Doctor is meeting the Yith" or something would be pretty cool.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Weakest of the season so far just because there's not much adventure here and not much to make up for it.

I think this episode had potential to be good if Me wasn't so robotic and if the villain wasn't such a lame basic badguy. And the sentiment was okay (how does the doctor deal with immortality and some of the reasons he travels with humans) but kind of drawn out too long before we got to the plot device of the week.

I mean poo poo, if Me was so smart she should've seen what could go wrong accepting space portals from strangers.

The season is still so much better than last one, which I think I will advise people interested in the series to skip at this point. Nothing feels as lame and pointless and just completely unpleasent as Robot of Sherwood or Caretaker.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm going to watch the next one but this really fucks with a GREAT episode in a way I do not like, for a very generic and lame alien invasion.

SpaceCommie posted:

On the plus side Capaldi seemed to realise how terrible everything was and stopped giving a poo poo. He seemed to be phoning it in through the second half.

Yeah, he seemed to be really unemotional throughout.

However I do find it amusing after last season's I HATE SOLDIERS RAAAR arcs he's now like "ok you guys do whatever, if you kill aliens just try not to kill too many"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
electrified hair was stuuuupid, there's no implications of something horrifying it just is complete nonsense. There is nothing in my mind that can fill in Person->????->PILE OF ZAPPY HAIR

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
nah, that's still forest of the night, with kill the moon right above that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
plural of anecdote does not equal data, large numbers of people that i love and trust love movies that i personally would be too cynical to stand.

I personally think this episode, even watching with a lack of critical thinking or outside perspective and just hoping for a fun ride, was terribly boring and frustrating to watch. I mean, I've largely been positive on this season just because the Doctor is being a big ol' goofy dork again, that's what the doctor should be and if they were going for a more serious doctor last season they failed. They just made him into a loving rear end in a top hat who was completely unpleasant to watch. But yeah, I don't think all the sonic sunglasses or quipping in the world could've saved this shitheap.

Also whenever I think of "hybrid" I think of "elements of the past and future, combining to make something not quite as good as either". Not looking forward to the season finale if "hybrid" is this season's meme.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Only a few minutes into the episode and I can see why people might find Osgood annoying.

She's makes the episode like trying to watch the episode with someone predicting what's happening next all the time. Shame because if they had reigned that in, just a little, she'd be alright.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Uuuuugh gently caress this two parter.

Not because it's totally bad. Because it could've been great but was shallow in all the places it just could not afford to be.

There's a lot of really great visuals and emotion, Capaldi was at his best, and the reference to the Moment was good, but so much else that they should've noticed was complete poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i'm getting the impression that the pro-episode people are like "don't think too hard about it, it's a tv show" and not really answering any of the problems brought up with the episode. Which is not great.

Sure I mock Cine D for "overthinking movies", but what happens with them is they make up a completely new movie in their heads and fall in love with it and forget completely what the hell happens in the actual film.

Here the surface reading is lame and there's no helping it.
I mean, I don't really understand how, even if you liked the episode, you could like it enough to muster the enthusiasm to defend it.
The last one was super boring and this one had some good visuals but the episode itself, in the doctors own words, tells you that this story is a shallow and simplistic one with a villain who's basically a "tantruming child" who hasn't thought through things, only mildly better than a villain who is evil for evil's sake.

this is an episode that ended with the Doctor, saying outright, "you're a credit to your race" I mean seriously.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
this episode had some moments that could've made it great: Clara's mental world portraying her connection to "bonnie" and her negotiation with her, the grotesque visual of the zygon not-fully human form like a person with some kind of horrible sucker leprosy, the idea of the Osgood box.

Last episode did not have anything interesting to show like that.
The electrified hair remains were stupid, the soldiers surrendering to their mother was stupid, and everything else was just particularly unexcited and tepid.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Wheat Loaf posted:

"SNAP-HISS" was the onomatopoeia Tim Zahn came up with specifically for Luke's green lighstabre from ROTJ (which has a different activating noise to the other lightsabres in the original trilogy) but then it started getting used to describe all of them.

:spergin:

so it's really an onomatopoeia for the average star wars eu writer's lack of creativity

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I don't get the :supaburn: OH MY GOD THAT WAS LOVE AND MONSTERS LEVEL BAD AAAA :supaburn: going around.

First off, no. This is not nearly as bad as Love and Monsters and Daleks in Manhatten and Fear Her.
It's a slightly disappointing horror story, not a trainwreck.

Secondly, again, it's an absurd premise but so is wi fi that eats people, TV signals that eat people, people who explode into sentient fat babies... RTD was full of these bizarre premises that are on the level of worrying you'll go down the bathroom drain, it's not some kind of new thing here and in fact a lot of people call those seasons better than modern who.

Honestly I found it as alright as an episode of Doctor Who needs to be. There's better episodes, but this is still better than all of last season.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who found last season (besides the Two Good Episodes, Flatline and Mummy) a completely miserable experience and as long as an episode is better than that I'm good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
dear god ahildr is not only a wooden actress, she's an infuriating shithead and I hope she dies terribly

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Clara thought the Mayor could take off any countdown
Mayor can't take off the countdown if you transfer it

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
if this wasn't her death scene how long and drawn out will her real death scene be

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
cobiwan still hasn't reviewed the last episode?
He has to before his magic number tattoo counts down to zero, or the raven will fly into him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
well also because they knew this was the last Middle Earth thing they could do and they shoved all the continuity they could into it and destroyed the pacing.

they WERE right though, Christopher Lee did die soon after.

(but of course, the who episode will go back to Peter's splatter horror origins, I'm sure)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They can't really use the 13 thing now, too, since the time lords gave him energy he was blasting spaceships with it, and then davros drained so much from him he raised all the daleks dead.

It does cut out the drama of threatening the Doctor's life a bit but honestly the last three generations were always so concerned about death (10 because he didn't want to change and 11 had two different seasons about his future death, either being assassinated at the lake or finding his gravesite) that it's fine that they can't go to that well for a well.

I do wonder if they will put a number on how many regenerations he has at some point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Oxxidation posted:

Motherfucker you did NOT just imply I was Tennant

you don't want to be the doctor most popular with the ladies?
(well at least that's the impression I get, apparently Matt Smith is not attractive because he doesn't have eyebrows or something)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I can see some of the plot criticisms.
Some of them that aren't, like, really digging way too hard to find reasons to be mad at the episode.

But as a character arc it was great and this season has finally made me care about Clara and feel sad the Doctor's loss of her.

And note I don't like this episode for the accused reasons of fanboyism. I didn't care about any of the past setpieces or the screwdriver, I liked the sentimentality. gently caress, hate the episode all you want, but don't make up reasons why I liked it so that you can feel better about yourself.

And really I think it was one of the best of the season finales period. At least I felt something watching the doctor struggle to let go of clara and let her make her own decision and then to remember clara. Really, those were the stakes. Very small, personal stakes. The threat of the hybrid and the universe breaking were both smokescreens and there was no Mastermind Villain Planning to end the Universe this time. Rassilion maybe, but he didn't matter that much. The story had some scope but not nearly as much as any given RTD finale. There wasn't anything outright horrible like Cyberbrig, either.

Really the only season finale I remember enjoying was season fives. Season six and seven (not counting day of the doctor) were huge messes without focus, season eight was... season eight, and then we have the RTD finales which were each a mounting absurdity. I think just once, just this once, having the episode be about the Doctor personally was great. And even if you didn't like THIS episode, we still have the last one, which had the most universal praise I have ever seen an episode get.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

Don't blame the dude, he got lost on his way to kill Rose's dad.

both were actually the master, who has a car shaped tardis, and she goes around running over the doctor's companion's families because she thinks its funny.

She was also in the car that hit Donna in turn left.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
even if it was explicit, I think it'll be forgotten like "the doctor had eight previous lives before hartnell", "the doctor's greatest fear is the cracks to gallifrey", "the master is only evil because of a drumbeat in his (now her) head", "human on his mother's side", etc

and really, it's hard to write a character while never establishing anything new about them, a lot of doctor facts vary froma showrunner to showrunner basis.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 10, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
so I don't think there's anyone we've met recently who's looking like companion material. So will the next one be someone we meet next premiere? Could this be a return to an RTD style "had an adventure together once and decided to make it a thing" companions, instead of The Girl who Waited or Enigma Girl companions who had some epic destiny to fulfill with the doctor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm sorry but is anyone suppose to give a gently caress about plays anymore. If its not on screen in some form it might as well not matter as far as the general public is concerned.

gently caress the general public, plays rule

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
just saw it
the exploding head part and the peeling head open part give me high hopes for the upcoming Peter Jackson episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
At this point I just want to see what the next companion is now that moffet has made Clara THE ULTIMATE COMPANION, like he has to start fresh now and the most sensible idea would be to just tone it back a notch and make the companion just some person because he outdid himself several times in making Clara important, he wouldn't start trying to outdo her, right? Like that would make what he just did pointless and it couldn't possibly work.

So obviously the sensible thing won't happen because moffet is far too clever to make decisions that do pedestrian, expected things like make sense or be entertaining. I'm just wondering who More Important than Clara could possibly be. The best part is that there are no clues or logical candidates.

• Locked thread