Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There were seeds of good ideas in this episode. I like where Moffat was going with the general concept. But...this just screamed "film this first draft I scribbled on this notebook oh god we're running out of time".

Like, this looked rushed as gently caress, even in the set design. Somehow the Daleks looked even cheaper than usual. Did the budget get gutted again?

E: I busted out laughing when that random Dalek popped up out of nowhere with "correct!" after Missy and Clara realized where they were.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Snake man: good concept, so obviously a segway.

It's Doctor Who, though, so it's in the great tradition of wonky special effects.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This was a good episode and it redeemed the previous one too, a bit. I believe Davros was being genuine with the Doctor, up until he pulled the "I want to see the sunrise" bit. A villain can still be a total dick while having genuine emotion, and this point was driven home with the last scene with kid-Davros. He isn't perfect, but he does have the capacity for mercy.

Is this Emmy-winning drama? No. Doctor Who never will be. But it's good at what it sets out to do. Also, gently caress you, I like the sonic shades.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Clouseau posted:

Having ducked out of these threads for a while, where's a good place to look at a breakdown of why the production side has had so many problems since Moffat took the reins?

As I understand it, the people in charge of the budget fired the people who actually knew how to put the show together in a timely/cost effective manner prior to Series 5. Thus, the budget for that series spiraled out of control (a lot of it being spent on location shooting in Prague, IIRC). Essentially this caused a deficit that was slowly being paid back by splitting up series 6 and 7 over the course of three years.

As I recall, they tried rehiring the people they fired to come back and fix everything, but the response was essentially "lol no". Now all this is technically under Moffat's watch, so he definitely has some accountability, but with his workload writing scripts for both this and Sherlock, it's probably a case of him trusting some people to help him out that failed miserably.

All this is from memory, so someone please correct me I've mixed some things up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also, series 1-4 were filmed on videotape, I believe, so that contributes a certain look and feel to it as well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, he wrote the episode back when Victorian Clara was still the companion, so her kids made slightly more sense. So Nightmare was a rush rewrite, along with the script getting hacked to pieces anyway in production. IIRC, Gaiman wasn't pleased at all with the finished product.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was very, very good. Understated, side characters with a bit of development, pacing left with room to breathe.

I don't really care if the ideas themselves weren't that original - this was just a very well put together episode at all stages. It made last week seem sloppy (which it was).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I laughed really hard at "hey, how's it going?" and it cutting to the ghosts chilling on/in the walls and ceiling.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I rewatch it I love this moment a little more:

Her "the gently caress is he doing....? well okay let's just roll with this I guess :shrug:" reaction to his signing gibberish is just great.

Actually, it's not gibberish. That's the sign for "you're beautiful". That explains her smile and then confusion since his lips didn't match the sign.

Doctor gettin' his flirt on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

misadventurous posted:

Did you crosspost this from Gallifreybase?

This isn't the '80s, a show can live off a hardcore fanbase these days, and besides that more people are watching via the Internet than ever before. Lower ratings are not a good barometer of a show's success, at least not on their own.

Really, I suspect the show's audience is pretty stable, and the BBC really needs to get up to date on how they're measuring ratings. I know they factor in iPlayer views now, but all these "no one is watching doctor who anymore!" claims are coming from people looking at the overnights. I have no clue how seriously the BBC take overnights these days, and if they do, they shouldn't.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

Also, again, we're getting scared of ratings for when Doctor Who is going up against England playing rugby. It was still in the right spot ratings-wise for the first episode, and internationally it's still sitting where it should be. It's not a ratings winner by any means down here in Australia, since it's on the ABC which aren't allowed to advertise (their charter is stricter than the BBC's in terms of real-world advertising, too), and it's going up against both a hit talent reality show and a hit home renovation reality show, but it still manages a solid audience.

You know, it would be smart for the BBC to get rid of region restrictions on iPlayer. I know a bunch of people, me included, who catch the show via alternative methods, but I bet you viewing figures would explode if it were opened worldwide without the use of a proxy.

I have no clue what kind of licensing that would involve and if that even works within their charter, but that's the way television is watched nowadays.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Happiness Patrol is so, so good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just spotted DoctorWhat and The Coat at NYCC.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

You should have said something! I'll be at the Playwright Irish Pub tonight and at 11 am tomorrow i'll be in room 1E02 for the DW fan meetup.

I wanted to! But you were way across the room and I didn't want to be rude to my girlfriend's friends we were hanging with. I'll be there tomorrow!

Sam Anderson is rocking quite the beard now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

HD DAD and I are in a room that, including me, contains not one, not two, but THREE Sixes, but only one Four and one Ace as classic representation, to the lament of all present.

Some real good age-appropriate Twelves, though, and an impeccable Nine I've met before.

Pics when I can.

There were some great Twelves, but I realize the younger ones tend to look like classic-era Bob Dylan. There's nothing wrong with this.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I honestly loved it, and would already place these two episodes in my top ten of the series. I haven't had that reaction in a very long time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DoctorWhat posted:

I bought exactly two non-food things costing more than 5 dollars during all of NYCC.

One was Masterpiece Grimlock.

This is not MP Grimlock:

It's PRETTY GREAT

Nice.

I also appreciated your feigned freakout at the Classic Who panel when they ended right as you got to the mic to ask your question.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was just happy we were given time to actually get to know the minor characters somewhat, rather than the cardboard placeholders we got most of the past two series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fun fact: ratings are significantly up this past week thanks to England being bad at rugby or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Besides if they were trying to appeal to the younger demographic, Capaldi would be loving around in Ableton or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's a bar in Brooklyn that has a light Doctor Who theme. That TARDIS is actually the bathroom, and it's fixed into the wall so that it's "bigger on the inside".

There's also drinks named after certain Doctors. I forget what was actually good because I was drunk already when I got there, but I remember it being pretty fun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I didn't catch a lot of these past episodes until days after they aired, as did most of my friends who are avid fans of the show. There's also the group of fans of any show nowadays that just waits until the entire season is on Netflix/Hulu/whatever and they binge watch it.

Is Doctor Who losing viewers? Maybe. But you can't argue that the way people watch TV hasn't changed significantly even since two or three years ago.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Clara's gonna die, the Doctor's already seen it and he's going back in time to recapture his time with her/save her, and Ashildr is gonna try and stop him from loving with the natural order of the universe.

At least that's what I hope happens. Really good episode, aside from suffering from Unnecessary Monster Syndrome.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really do honestly wonder if there's a clause in a contract somewhere that states there has to be a monster in every episode, because it was such an afterthought here in an otherwise well-written script.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'll take boring as I think I'm still recovering from the breakneck pacing of the Series 7 episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I...I like Delta and the Bannermen.

:negative:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm basing most of my opinion on that serial on Sara Griffiths being very easy to look at and that I have a thing for women with Welsh accents.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Vincent Dilemma

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Vincentwarp.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ahahahaha what the gently caress was that. This was as bizarre and clumsy as Kill The Moon, and it was awesome for it. Yes, the subtext was on the nose and its intent could easily be garbled into something very questionable, but goddammit that was entertaining.

I love you, Peter Harness. You wonderful hack.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
While I may be optimistic, I do think they might be trying an Icarus-like story arc with Clara. The Doctor on multiple occasions has made known his concern at Clara becoming very comfortable with her time-trotting lifestyle, and it's probably going to be her downfall.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God this hybrid poo poo is so loving forced.

e: Capaldi might as well have looked directly into the camera when he said it last week.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only change I see in Clara this season is that she's been much less of a focus. Her characterization seems pretty consistent, but her role has been noticeably downplayed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

enigmahfc posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just cannot loving stand Osgood. like, every time she is on screen I'm find myself really annoyed. Other than that, I liked the episode well enough.

Funny, this is actually the first and only episode where I didn't cringe every time Osgood was on screen. I thought she was actually well utilized here.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I agree that Kill The Moon is a poorly constructed episode, but it takes it to such an extreme that it loops back around to being entertaining for me. It's just the right amount of crazy. The botched abortion subtext that goes absolutely nowhere is part of that.

In The Forest of the Night, though, is botched in the worst way, in that it's aggressively boring. God what a piece of poo poo that was. This is the same guy that wrote 24 Hour Party People. What happened?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TL posted:

The Doctor was also playing Amazing Grace in the TARDIS in the first Zygon episode, which could be a clue in a "Paul is dead" sorta way.

There was also that promo pic this season that was a riff on the Abbey Road cover, with Jenna in Paul's place barefoot, with a modified license plate that used to play into the "Paul is dead" theory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I...I thought that was a pretty straightforward, fun, solid episode. After reading the thread, I was bracing myself for a shitfest, but that was actually pretty drat cool. Probably my favorite Gatiss script.

The Doctor accidentally wanders into basically a film set, sees some weird poo poo that makes no sense, and then just leaves. The poster who said this was The Twilight Zone featuring The Doctor nailed it on the head, and it was good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really do think the monsters are there sometimes to satisfy the "kids like monsters!" checkbox. Doctor Who is watched by a wide range of audiences, and I can get the reasoning that monsters are an easy way to represent a problem. The BBC might be weary of certain portions of the audience not understanding or enjoying purely psychological horror or think pieces.

But that's probably just the marketing manager in me coming out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'll contribute the obligatory "that was pretty okay" milquetoast non-opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's me. I have Marco Polo.

• Locked thread