Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
What an awful loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Goons calling this the worst like there wasn't an episode that ended with a joke about a blowjob from a paving slab.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
We've only seen half the story, I doubt the denouement will be the Doctor ordering a nerve gas done strike. The show's protagonist kept calling for dialogue despite having seen a bunch of soldiers murdered seconds before.

I can see plenty of reasons someone wouldn't like this hour of television but getting caught up about the undertone is a bit weird.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Rochallor posted:

No, obviously not, but the Zygons here aren't written as people you can have a dialogue with. The Zygons that we've seen so far are murderous conquerors which UNIT would be totally justified in blowing up with drones. That's the problem.

And yet the Doctor is shown still advocating dialogue. This is the guy the show positions as the wisest being in existence.

The answer to the question "did we need an episode of Doctor Who that dealt with Islamic Extremism?" is a responding "hell no" but seeing as they did I don't understand how anyone could complain about it being racist or whatever unless they were wildly over-sensitive. While watching, I assumed it would be Daily Mail types outraged as it basically showed the Doctor as turbo-Corbyn.

AttitudeAdjuster fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 1, 2015

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Leaving aside the subtext stuff for the moment, this episode really highlights the fact that New Who really struggles to do large-scale stories without descending onto a confused, rushed mess.

With that said, I'll take this over Love and Monsters or that episode with
the master race any day of the week. Compare to the lows of the RTD era, this was loving Shakespeare.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I'll certainly agree that everything this episode was trying to do was already achieved in a much better way by Silurians despite that story having a guy in a rubber suit pretending to be an Allosaurus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Is Harry developing an Anti-Zygon weapon so far-fetched when

A) he was part of the military

and

B) got pretty comprehensively hosed over by the Zygons including IIRC getting shot in the head by one, abducted, imprisoned and impersonated.

• Locked thread