Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The unlimited rice pudding line always makes me laugh. Sylvester McCoy's delivery is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I don't know if it's my computer, or Wiki's servers have gone nuts, but the Doctor Who Wiki (TARDIS.wiki) is redirecting to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Wiki right now for some reason. :stare:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That felt really fast compared to part one.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I found it harder to agree with the zygons than some of the other posters here. Stripping away the real world analogies and focusing solely on the fiction, 20 million aliens being allowed on Earth with the only condition being that you have to wear a human disguise if you go outside is a really good deal. The rebels were insanely selfish for throwing that away.

It's not like the Doctor Who universe isn't filled with planets, they could look for a new one if they hated living with humans so much. That, and both times the Zygons came to earth, it was to invade it and overthrow the human race, not ask for aid. I did think Jenna Coleman was great in the double role - she was convincingly cold and detached as the zygon.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 8, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I don't think "sure your entire species can move here, but keep it quiet and wear a disguise in public, but aside from that, we're good" is that bad a compromise. If the splinter zygons want to be in zygon form all the time, there's no-one stopping them leaving earth and the normal zygons can just get on with things. Again, I'm not reading it as a political metaphor in this case, just in the context of the story. If they were going for a "the poor oppressed zygons angle", then the zygons didn't seem oppressed - that one said he was really happy with the deal as it stood.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do they have spaceships to take them somewhere else?

Well they must have gotten to Earth somehow. Earth took the zygons in - a race who previously attacked Earth, remember and gave them all identies, with the only condition being "please disguise yourself, aside from, that, you're good", then a few radicals try and ruin that? The Doctor should have kicked the radicals off earth - if they can't respect the humans or the majority of peaceful zygon's wishes, why should they get to speak for the entire species? The episodes goes to great efforts to show that most zygons are against the plan, and are actively treating the rebels as criminals. He should have put Bonnie on an uninhabited planet as irnonic punishment, in a "you wanted to force your will on the world? here you go, here's an entire planet for you, go nuts".

The Doctor's monologue was great though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The zygons are guests on Earth. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the giant blobs who can steal people's identities and electrocute people to keep a low profile to stop people freaking out. It's not like they were being forced to work in salt mines, or kept in camps, or there were signs up saying "no dogs, no zygons", all they had to do was shapeshift - a process which was entirely natural and easy for them - in public. That's not a request worth genociding your own race over.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Silurians at least chilled out eventually and realised that trying to become the dominant ideology/species on Earth was pretty stupid. If your plan involves wiping out millions of humans/zygons for not thinking the same way you do, then the plan is wrong.

I felt bad for the zygon Bonnie murdered, that guy was happy, doing his thing. :smith: The best solution if if the rebel hardliner zygons leave Earth if they hate it so much, and the majority of zygons stay. And they can take the lock ness monster with them - (did the Doctor defeat it? I haven't seen Terror of the Zygons for years and years).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Obivously the doctor should have let the rebel zygons kill millions of humans beings and other zygons, because not letting them do it might offend them.

The Ood were literally being operated on and enslaved. The zygons were given asylum with a few conditions attached. Maybe the Doctor should let the Daleks win because not repescting their culture at all costs is very offensive and triggering for them.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 8, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The entire issue was because the zygons were lazy.

"We could rebulid a new homeworld, but..... :effort: "

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Well that just didn't come together at all. Where was the tension? The suspense?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Why was the opening credits missing? I assumed it was to do with the shaky cam gimmick, but it didn't? 42 was a much better gimmick episode.

There's a found footage film called Evidence that has a similar gimmick to this episode (without the sci-fi elements), which does it much, much better.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Having a more experimental story sturcture like that almost felt Big Finish-likke, though I don't think you could have pulled the big reveal off without the visual element. Time loop stories are hard to pull off, but this one was great, loved the character driven approach.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The confession dial was like a pocket dimension type thing, I thought. So the Doctor isn't actually over a billion years older, he just lived out the loop that long, when he came back to the normal universe, hes still chronologically the same age. At least that's how I read it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's about willpower, not actual physics - it was a pocket dimension/simulation cut off from normal space. The Doctor could have simply given up, and not reset the teleporter, but he chose to continue the loop endlessly until he could break free. It was a great character piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That was silly, fun, but quiet sweet. In other words, a great Christmas special.

• Locked thread