Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, you're all forgetting the best part of this episode. Classic 60's-Skaro white-and-blue Daleks :allears:.

I actually cheered when the Type 1 Dalek appeared out of nowhere.

MikeJF posted:

If the classic 60s daleks are from An Adventure in Time An Space they've gotten a paintjob since then, since the body of the Dalek around the weapon/manipulator is actually also a pale eggshell blue in this. I don't any Daleks were like that. The blue balls on them also looks a lot paler than the 60s ones were. The black-domed one has the correct darker blue and fully-silver body, though.

I'm wondering how many of the Daleks were actual BBC props or whether they borrowed any of them from local cosplay groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

The whole tank party scene made me think of Rick Sanchez. Those two would really get along I think.

I don't think even Rick would be self obsessed enough to make his entrance by riding in on a tank playing his own opening theme song on an electric guitar.

2house2fly posted:

There isn't really any minutiae of canon in the episode, I don't once remember thinking "I wish I watched the old shows because I don't have any context for this". The closest anyone's going to come to that is Davros showing up with no introduction but Davros is one of those cultural osmosis things everyone knows about, like Darth Vader or Klingons or Vodka Martini Shaken Not Stirred.

There's a whole bunch of minutiae mentioned in passing (like the three different versions of Atlantis) but none of that was necessary to understand the story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EricFate posted:

Doctor shoots Davros as child, Davros as adult reveals that child was a fake, and that this was all a setup to prove to the Doctor that he is also a monster.

I'm guessing that the Doctor won't shoot Davros because the Doctor already save Davros, as evidenced by the fact that the last time we saw kiddie Davros he was stuck in a handmine field which was 100% going to kill him but he nevertheless survives and goes on to create the Daleks. Clearly the Doctor has already gone back and saved him, possibly slightly late so that Davros was somehow burnt and maimed and ends up crippled in a wheelchair. The Doctor feels shame because he wasn't strong enough to just walk away and let nature take its course. Davros blames the Doctor for not saving him fast enough and causing him to get crippled, that's how the Doctor 'creates' Davros.

I'm guessing that the Doctor is going back to shoot himself to stop Davros from being saved.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pinacotheca posted:

Here's my question: why does Doctor Who have so many space bars all of a sudden, and why are they all invariably modeled on the cantina scene from Star Wars? It's so generic and dull.

Snake dude is really into the singles scene and he didn't know where else to go

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was the Doctor Who theme

Yep. You can hear him practicing it at 1:05 in this video

AndyElusive posted:

It was him playing the guitar. He even got to go and choose which guitar he wanted to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31b5MewfofY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Acne Rain posted:

i assumed there's a planet of sneople out there, Davros just met one in the line at the space grocery store pharmacy and was like "hey I'll pay you to slither around and hiss at people menacingly"

Space Craigslist

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

2house2fly posted:

If you need to find the Doctor, who do you call to help you if not his best friend who he goes places with all the time?

Or even better, just start working on some convoluted nefarious plot and he'll turn up all on his own.

Dalek Sec: "Okay, what if we invert the flow of time in a pocket universe and use that to de-evolve all the birds in the zoo into raptors and then give them all null-space dimensional disruptors which allow them to teleport to Earth ..."
Dr Who runs in: ">puff puff< Sorry I'm late, what'd I miss?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

howe_sam posted:

My question in that scene is what happened to the snake binding Clara's wrists? She steps out of the airlock with her arms behind her back, and then in the next shot she's throwing her arms out and there's no snake. I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Snake couldn't detect the quality of the gravity, didn't trust Missy's opinion and bailed

• Locked thread