Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can fully believe the Doctor just talks to himself when no-one else is around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Most minor characters in Base Under Siege episodes are going to get killed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought that was pretty good, even though I don't normally like this kind of episode. Most of the silly scenes were funny and the Doctor's conflict about what to do was interesting. The last 10 minutes did kindof come out of nowhere but whatever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

For a highly advanced and supposedly renowned warrior race, these guys sure were nonthreatening. Their peashooters couldn't even break through the wood walls.
Wasn't that the point? The Doctor compares them to the snake model, they're paper tigers who depend entirely on their reputation. Presumably that's why they were attacking an old village with vastly inferior technology instead of a real target.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They didn't really go into it much but the fact that Ashildr "died" as a result of something The Doctor told her to do has to sting more.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The bell went off two stories in a row with no explanation, I'm pretty sure there's some season-level explanation for it. Probably something to do with The Master.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Clara is dead when did she die? Is this going all the way back to ~the impossible girl~?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think on some level that's exactly the arc they're going for though (at least since season 8 with the Pink storyline). There's some idea that she's become his 'soldier' and will keep following him until it kills her.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Doctor basically always gives his enemies a chance to run if he can, although they often don't take it. I guess the enemies actually agreeing to it and not getting blown up afterwards is kindof a twist at this point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kill the Mooslims

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can believe this episode was intended to oppose forced assimilation and there is some lip-service paid to the idea of "not all Zygons", but so much of the episode is just refugees Zygons being evil and betraying us. Plus incredibly unsubtle comparisons to ISIS are not the best way to make us think "hmm maybe these guys have a point".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was clearly unpolished but I liked it overall. The ending is underexplained but I think it's fairly easy to infer what happened. Rassmussen was trying to create an exciting viral video about a news item that everyone would want to watch, and the episode as it played out was just a false narrative he constructed for the purposes of that video. It's kindof a cheap "it was a gameshow all along!" ending but I think it worked into the found footage gimmick OK and there were a lot of heavy-handed hints towards before the reveal.

Of course the ending sequence kindof undermines that, but that's probably just for our benefit as viewers so we have some chance to understand what happened. Maybe he'd edit it out before uploading it to spaceyoutube. Or maybe you forget that bit IDK.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

While the ending was cheap I don't really mind the possibility of a future threat being left hanging. They do that occasionally (eg in Blink).

Open Source Idiom posted:

My main problem is that it was complicated in all the wrong places -- the dust monsters can't see, but they're being used to watch people by another dust monster who's telepathically communicating with his dust monster "children" in order to create a scary movie that'll go viral so that people will turn into dust monsters. There's very little rhyme or reason to all of that.
I guess the idea was that Rasmussen was deliberately having them hold off so some people could survive for his "climax".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They established that the machines on the station had been "upgraded". Presumably the ones on the surface just give you the eyecamera dust rather than monstrofying you.

e: I feel like there was almost a reasonable thematic link through this episode - the danger of treating people as economic drones. It wasn't entirely clear that was Rasmussen's motive though, he probably should have said "these dust monsters have higher productivity!!" or something.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 15, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He said it was still spread by a visual signal rather than contact, but presumably the signal he used changed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That electronic blip shows up a lot of times throughout the episode, including right at the start. The body of the episode is to encourage people to share it with their friends and family (again presumably the last part is not actually in his finished product) to make it go viral. By the time you actually start watching it you're already super hosed, and it's even in the episode a bunch more just to make sure.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 15, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Burkion posted:

Now is this kind of pedantic?
Yes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That sounds like an absolutely 100% different episode

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I felt like the foreshadowing to the twist was fairly heavy-handed actually. The Doctor mentioned someone trying to create a narrative and constantly talks about things not making sense, there was talk of Rasmussen trying to create an alibi, it's obvious thst Rasmussen is linked to the dust monsters once the 'no cameras' thing is established, etc.

The framing device as it had been presented also made no sense after Rasmussen turned out to be evil so I was fully expecting a 'reality TV' twist.

I guess it's kindof confusing since you're used to taking all of The Doctor's theories as 100% true, but I enjoyed it as a puzzle episode

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

'Rasmussen didn't want to fight The Doctor directly so he created a false narrative where he lost so The Doctor would leave' is an interesting angle as well. I think that's actually a pretty great plan.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually liked it more than Under the Lake. Under the Lake just felt insanely rote to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Whybird posted:

It wouldn't have taken that much to save the episode. Make the monsters into something (loving anything, I don't care) other than sleep dust, and instead of Shearsmith giving the denouement, have the Doctor figure it out, explain Shearsmith's plan to Clara as he innoculates her against the signal and adds something to its transmission to Earth to neutralize the effects. Then he and Clara reflect on how awful it would be if an undoctored signal were ever released to a mass audience.
You're then replacing the cool and unique ending with a very generic one, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Considering that most people didn't get the ending at all I don't think it had "patronizing detail"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They don't actually technobabble it out. I think you can get the important stuff though - some kind of signal in the Morpheus machine puts dust in people's eyes that lets Rasmussen see/record through them, and a stronger version of that signal (which was shown repeatedly in the episode itself) allows that dust to hijack your whole body. I think the idea is less that not sleeping makes you a monster and more that the guy who wanted to eliminate sleep wanted to modify humans in other perverse ways.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I enjoyed that. The atmosphere was good and the sendoff felt appropriate. Genuinely excited to see wrathful Capaldi next week.

Is there any chance some of the episodes from this season happen after this one, from The Doctor's perspective? There was some suggestion he was acting like Clara was going to die.

AndyElusive posted:

Whenever The Doctor threatens anybody I think back to The Family of Blood.
There's also The Runaway Bride.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the idea is that, while The Doctor does bluff and take risks a lot, he also has a vast collection of knowledge that prevents him from taking outright suicidal actions like Clara did this week.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When it comes to finales I've preferred the more personal attacks against The Doctor throughout Moffat's run. It tends to lead to some interesting character moments rather than "Those guys who always try to DESTROY THE WORLD are trying to DESTROY THE WORLD again, oh no!"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Others that come to mind are Partners in Crime, Fires of Pompeii and The Sontarem Strategem. Looking back it's not as extreme as I remember though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She eventually forgets things because they happened a long time ago. This is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In enjoyed a lot of the individual scenes in the first two-parter but it felt disjointed as a whole. The plot kindof felt like it was zigzagging rather than progressing at times.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean she reaches out and kills people for no reason in a lot of her scenes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dr Who was probably never going to come out and say ISIS was justified, TBH.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was very good. The twist was super obvious in retrospect but the episode felt relentless and tense enough that I didn't work it out. The montage at the end was spectacular too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wonder if airing 2 episodes in a row where The Doctor loses before this one was deliberate. I actually believed he was stuck in the loop and would need rescuing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine Gallifrey developed a torture chamber for Time Lords at some point in the war. Maybe they were super paranoid about betrayal.

I think this episode was stronger for not dwelling on sci-fi explanations too much. Everything made intuitive sense. Also this device was presumably created by the same people who made the TARDIS, which is equally inscrutable and miles beyond any other race's technology.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it matters that much whether the location itself exists anywhere in space or not, it was very much an engineered and personal experience regardless.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first loop could potentially be different because he wouldn't get the 'bird' hint. You can imagine him coming up with the idea independently in room 12 though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the groundhog loop was intentional on the part of the captors, it's something The Doctor instigated himself. Then again we don't know their motives right now.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 29, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Capaldi also was not regenerating here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There must have alwags been a set of dry clothes in that room, right? It would just reset.

• Locked thread