Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, you're all forgetting the best part of this episode. Classic 60's-Skaro white-and-blue Daleks :allears:.

From what I've seen, most things in the 60s were black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

He knows that eventually agents of Davros will catch up to him or that he will have to just suck it up and go visit him, and that Davros will probably kill him (and he figures maybe he deserves it). So he decides he'll go and enjoy himself for a little while as a going-away present for himself, then go face the music.

That mini prequel thing on Karn kinda showed that the scene where the snake guy went there to ask for the Doctor happened a while before. When he went into 'hiding' it was perfectly clear to him that snake guy was coming after him, and he wanted to do that meditate thing because apparently Timelords have to do that now before they die.

Anyway, it made me kinda sad that they showed an Ood with a slaveball in this episode. I guess it's more recognizable than a free Ood, but meh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, what. The internet (tardis wiki) says that the Doctor's buddy in the medieval castle was only turned into a Dalek eyestalk puppet by one of the snakes during the tank scene while the doctor was being distracted by the rest of the colony. I didn't catch that at all, I thought the dude was an eyestalk guy to begin with.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't seen too much of the old Who, so how often have non-Daleks been inside Dalek tanks? One episode I know off was the very very very first Daleks story with the First Doctor, when a Dalek was pulled out and shown to have a claw, and then Ian just popped in and rode around in that thing because there was no telepathic system or anything else inside there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

After The War posted:

In a related note, I work at a non-profit for people with a hearing loss (we aren't supposed to say "hard of hearing" any more for.... some reason), and while we don't have as much crossover with the Deaf community, there are quite a few people involved who sign, especially younger folks who don't care about the schism between deaf people and people who use hearing aids.

Anyway, one of my co-workers helps run our fundraising walks, and shared this video of Sophie Stone and Zaqi Ismail discussing the episode on the walk FB page... only to be bombarded by angry messages because the video wasn't captioned. :doh:

I watched this video about Stone. It is both subtitled and has a BSL translator on-screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0346nnh

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Bit poo poo how it was resolved.

If he could create a fake ghost for himself, he could do it for everyone else, apart from the first guy killed in the flames. Hell he could even save the caretaker.
Just substitute fake holograms with each of them when they died, hey presto.

His Google Glass is still a prototype and can only hold the memory for one hologram at once.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

squarerandom posted:

Dude just calls the Doctor out for treating O'Donnell like a test subject, that he only cares about saving clara because she's close to him. His answer is that he's saving Clara, not himself.

That's not what he said. He said that now it's getting close to him, because if Clara dies, next up is the Doctor himself. O'Donnell was a test subject, to see if she would instead die in that order. Clara was a test subject for a different purpose: to see if the Doctor could actually save anyone. If he could, he knew he could save himself. The guy thought that the Doctor just cared about himself, and not about Clara at all. It made sense from his perspective.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also because of this episode I've now learned how to swear in ASL. Thanks, Cass!

BSL. British Sign Language. It's a completely separate language from ASL. Not just dialects, completely different languages. Every country basically has its own sign language (although they often share a bunch of basic signs).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aksxZTPx7PU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NarkyBark posted:

I liked the ideas in the episode, but I didn't like that there were so many magic wand solutions to everything. And then the one time there should've been another one- shocking the girl back to life- they instead went for a magic wand immortality chip, which made it really plain that the entire story was just filler to get to the immortality decision.

Literally. I don't know what happened, but when he was looking through the stuff for the immortality chip, I'm certain I heard the Sonic Screwdriver sound for just a second. Not sure what the point of it was, but it was there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know if I'm entirely sure about the argument that Britain is the only country that's not done anything about the refugees - not as much as we could be, certainly, but surely you would agree that the Hungarian government have had a worse response?

Well, in fairness, I suppose building a big fence to keep them out is doing something.

I was about to make the same point.

On top of that, while many goverments are helping the refugees, and so are many volunteers, in all of Europe the political right is growing fast and here in the Netherlands there are idiots trying to storm refugee centers and attacking them with fireworks (can you imagine what effect loud bangs have on people who just came out of a war zone where they have seen the most horrible things?)

I'm not scared of the so-called 'refugee invasion'. As far as I've seen, the refugees are people from all layers of society who just want to survive and find a place where they can live in peace. But I am really getting scared of the right extremist/neo-nazi groups popping up everywhere. And the fact that there's representatives in parliament (almost directly) rooting them on doesn't help.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Despite how crappy this episode was, there were a few little things I liked. The picture of Hartnell. And when the Doctor rescued Osgood from the camp and the Zygon appeared, he said "Oh, hello!" in a perfect imitation of Tennant's doctor. That was nice.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AlMac posted:

The ISIS stuff has been covered pretty comprehensively, but how about the other "hmmm this is a bit raw" moment right at the end? I totally get that this episode was written and produced well before the investigation was completed, but after watching last week's detailed report of the shooting down of flight MH17 (including the exact order in which the crew were torn apart by pellets from the missile warhead) I found it hard to be entertained by the last couple of minutes. I know I'm probably just being butthurt and over-sensitive; I guess it wouldn't have stood out as much if it hadn't come right at the end of an episode that was already filled with troubling content.

I noticed that too. It was perhaps a bit insensitive but I don't believe they intended to draw that parallel at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Jerusalem, I'm always looking forward to your posts with episode gifs.

But I have a small request: could you put those for the following episodes in imgur galleries so I can more easily share them with non-SA friends? TIA.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, thank you! Cool.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was an interesting episode of Dr. Basil Disco. I can't wait until next week's episode of Dr. Basil Disco.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm pretty sure that when it wasn't on at the same time of year as Strictly Come Dancing it was on at around 7/7:30: but unless they move it to the Spring or change the day (which would be stupid, Doctor Who has always been a Saturday show) or something then they're kind of stuck at going out when they currently are.

For some reason, at the beginning of the season, several people asked me why the show had been moved to Saturday. I still don't understand why they asked me that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, if both Osgoods are simply Osgood... does that mean we might have to deal with a species of Osgood at one point? Zygons, no problem. But I don't think I could handle 20 million Osgoods.

ashpanash posted:

Ok, #1, I have a feeling you're not talking about Zygons here. I mean, "concerned"? It's a TV show.

#2, You might be surprised at the number of ways you can fit 20 million into 7 billion. 20 million sounds big but 7 billion is much, much bigger.

Heh. Goons, don't recognize a joke even if it'd punched them in the face.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat, a friend just told me that a friend's friend made a whole bunch of 5-min versions of 9th and 10th doctor episodes a few years ago, to practice her video editing. Those summary versions would keep all the important plot points but also have lots of sped-up running with Yakety Sax playing.

I'd watch the hell out of Doctor Who Abridged, but apparently she has no intention to release those videos to the world. :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Why hasn't the title been changed to Totally And Radically Driving In Space yet? :arghfist::confused:

Because the show isn't about the Tardis, it's about Doctor Basil Disco.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

echoplex posted:

Nah, unfortunately. Motion stuff gets farmed out - I designed the layouts for some eps with an animator working on them, and for other eps (like this one) someone else did them all themselves. They were practical projections, which was nice.

Did the kitchen area reuse parts from the underwater episode?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was really hoping that the title would have been painfully literally - a monster that kills you when you sleep. Stay awake all night, and the monster can't get you.

The next week, The Doctor reveals that Mummy and Daddy don't love you anymore, and that Ruffles didn't go to doggy heaven.

Don’t sleep.
Sleep and you’re dead.
Don’t turn on your side.
Don’t close your eyes.
And don’t sleep.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Diagon Alley was a bit silly.

But the episode was great, and the fact that we knew Clara was gonna this season made it even stronger.

Also, it seems some season arcs are surfacing now. I doubt this is the last we've seen of Ashildr.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Finally... the graffiti TARDIS was nice, but when did Who start having stingers? I've been switching it off once the credits start, how many have I missed?

Most episodes have next week's trailer at the end, but some extra scene after the credits but before "next week on Doctor Who", I haven't seen before.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rigsy The Idiot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Someone put this in the doctor who wiki page for the latest episode.

quote:

In one scene, there is a poster with a diagram of a flux capacitor, a direct reference to Back to the Future. It is accompanied by writings in Aurebesh, the main alphabet used in the Star Wars franchise. This writing spells out "Delorean", the car used in the Back to the Future franchise.
echoplex!!!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Wait, there was a new episode this week?!? I thought it was preempted this week due to Thanksgiving!

Eh, I'll watch it tonight. Did anything important happen?

I've been hooked on Fallout 4......gif applies.

Why would anything change to the schedule of a British series when there's some American holiday?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The tale.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so the wall was actually made of 400x as strong as diamond unobtainium.

What if it was actually diamond? As people have said before, it *would* have weathered down eventually.

However, there are much easier ways to get rid of diamond, if you have this much time.

First of all, according to the laws of thermodynamics, over a long enough period, diamond will naturally fall back to the more stable state of carbon, graphite. However, this is kinetically so unfavourable that at room temperature, it will take a very, very long time. It seems impossible to find an accurate figure, but one webpage said billions to hundreds of billions of years. But at least you wouldn't be breaking your fists.

This can be sped up significantly by heating up the place or by bombarding the diamond with ions.

Alternatively, diamond can burn. You need a really hot fire and a very oxygen-rich environment for that to have any effect at time scales we usually work with.

But, as a rather wild guess, I think that if the wall was actual diamond, and the doctor had been able to stack up a bunch of wood against the wall and put it on fire, breaking down the wall would've taken millions of years (or maybe only thousands of years) instead of billions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EXPLAAAIN

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How come you people are so convinced that Jackson's actually gonna direct an episode, and that that vid isn't just some one-time joke? Do you have any more evidence? It doesn't seem very serious so far.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A friend of mine made a gif that summarizes Heaven Sent perfectly. Jerusalem, I guess you can wrap up now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, I don't remember Missy causing Clara and the Doctor to meet. Is that what happened?

Good things:
- Old Tardis interior (where did the BBC dig that up from?)
- Sonic screwdriver is back!
- The trailer for the christmas episode

Bad things:
- Gallifrey is still underwhelming and nonsensical
- Way too much sappy Clara stuff. We did that two episode ago. Just leave her dead and be done with it.
- Oh god no please don't make a Clara&Ashildr spin-off that's gonna be terrible.
- The rest of the rather confusing plot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone summarize all those weird Susan theories for me? I have no idea what's going on, I feel like I missed something.

I'm gonna assume that the old woman who gave the Doctor soup was the Doctor's father.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Before you know it they'll have a sonic hedgehog.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Woah.

(Do you have a link to where she said that?)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NINTH LIVES

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The screenplay of Hell Bent just calls her Ashildr. For some reason I'm glad about that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress.

The christmas episode is on at 5:15PM UK time, even before lovely Crude Prancing.

What is the BBC doing? Are they returning the show to a time slot where a family show can actually be watched by the whole family?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Merry Christmas, buddy :)

I got someone on the other end of the line wondering if you secretly hate McGann, because he's suspiciously almost missing from all three gifs. Wasn't the original scene like that?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's the right place to talk about the other cool Gatiss & Moffat production Sherlock? I'm quite excited for the special that'll air tomorrow.

• Locked thread