Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Make the Zygons pay for the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

just_a_guy posted:

That is making me want it to be Saturday again. So... Excellent job. (Although I would rather a standalone to open the season

Yeah, I'd like some kind of pure entertainment blockbuster opener before the dark and moody Plot Arc Two-Parter, like the prologue to a James Bond film.

Theme for this series is looking like it'll be being haunted by (possibly unexpected results of) past actions; the Doctor abandoned Davros and possibly played a part in setting him on the path to create the Daleks, there's spoilers for later in the series declaring the return of past villains and faces we've seen before.

I don't know where people are getting "mess" from, there was nothing really confusing or out of nowhere, but it did feel to me like not a lot actually happened; possibly Moffat's lost his touch at pacing two-parters and the interesting stuff will all be next week.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Havent watched it yet, please don't tell me this is going to be this season's overall plot question.

As 99% the answer is going to be the Doctor himself.

It was rhetorical, the Doctor is indeed implying that he is partially responsible for who Davros became.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Doctor [brandishing eggwhisk]: EXTERMINATE!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One bit of dialogue I thought fell really flat was Davros going "compassion is wrong". I could see like, compassion is weak, compassion is worthless, something like that, but "wrong" sounds like Moffat was wracking his brain trying to think of a word and settled on that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They had teleport rays and escaped, or the whole thing is staged for the Doctor's benefit and his subsequent trip back to kill young Davros is playing into old Davros's hands somehow. That's my theory nobody else claim it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

My brother decided to join me since I was watching TV, and I never watch TV. It was his first episode of Doctor Who and I'm pretty sure it will be his last.
Feel EPICALLY felt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There isn't really any minutiae of canon in the episode, I don't once remember thinking "I wish I watched the old shows because I don't have any context for this". The closest anyone's going to come to that is Davros showing up with no introduction but Davros is one of those cultural osmosis things everyone knows about, like Darth Vader or Klingons or Vodka Martini Shaken Not Stirred.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Why does the Doctor, when experiencing extreme emotion, not calmly do a coldly logical and intelligent thing, like most people do in the real world?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yep that's what I asked. You're not twisting the meaning of my words at all.

Certainly the main point wasn't 'The Doctor Would Never Kill A Child'

It kind of looks like he would, given the end of this last episode. Anyway he's killed children before.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Doctor only kills evil children, he definitely wouldn't kill the creator of the Daleks!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

After he saw her he played Pretty Woman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

I suspect the Doctor went to Skarro again for a reason and we'll find out next episode.

He said in the 6 minute prequel that he was looking for a bookshop.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I can't remember the last time there was a space bar in the show. The space Orient Express maybe.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think people have gotten used to single episodes, surely every cliffhanger before wasn't greeted with "well they're OBVIOUSLY going to survive this :rolleyes:"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Well this cliffhanger isn't really "Clara and Missy, who have access to Chekhov's Teleport that we just saw fifteen minutes ago and which the dialogue made a specific point of describing, appear to have been disintegrated! Oh no!" so much as it's "The Doctor appears to be about to murder a child and possibly wreck all of history," which I think falls firmly into your second category.

The Tardis got blown up as well, and it looked more convincing than in Journey's End. I'm sort of wondering if the teleporting was a red herring and Missy and Clara really did get murdered, and the Doctor travelling back to Kid Davros is an attempt to change it. That being the case I'd guess that Davros will spend some time next episode trying to tempt the Doctor into evil, ultimately trying to get him to go back and murder him as a child (why? Who nose) then the Doctor will go back and save Kid Davros instead, perhaps saying "I'm the Doctor! And I save people!" as he does, making it so somehow Clara and Missy will be alive again but causing some kind of time event as a result of changing the past that will cause the series-long story arc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

No it didn't. In Journey's end the entire interior was set alight, they blew out the windows on a practical model and everyone had time to react as the TARDIS was destroyed. Here, a single large gun shot it once and the screen faded to white with a Video CoPilot effect explosion, no one reacted for very long and that was it.

In Journey's End the light came on and it vworped and faded, which the Daleks and the Doctor himself took as proof it had been destroyed instead of vworping away. In this episode there was a bright light and sparks with no visible vworping. It looked more like it had been destroyed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That's the thing with "Moffat needs to go," I've never seen anyone follow that statement up with "and be replaced by:"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If you need to find the Doctor, who do you call to help you if not his best friend who he goes places with all the time?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rewatching it, there's a glaring flaw in the bit where Missy opens the airlock. Clara is completely wrong, they wouldn't get sucked out if they were in space. They would get blown out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Eleven's entire storyline was, broadly, about the Doctor dealing with both his immortal legend and his personal mortality, in much the same way that Twelve's appears to be about the Doctor's identity and character. I don't mind this, in fact, I like it quite a lot, but I see how it could be tedious for some. .

Personally, I'm not feeling the actual threat to the Doctor this time, at least not in a physical sense. The Doctor's not afraid of Davros killing him, he's afraid/ashamed of his own actions on early Skaro, whatever they may have been, and that, I think, has implications entirely different from Oh No The Doctor Might Die For Realsies This Time.

I have a feeling that the Doctor's Last Will And Testament may well have just been a ruse to get Missy's attention. Or Missy was lying through her teeth about what was just an ordinary Gallifreyan telegram just to gently caress with Clara.

Mostly I'm tired of Moffat's reach exceeding his grasp (which was another consistent thing that happened last year) and would like him to hire a competent producer so he can focus on his writing.
It feels a lot like the triumph isn't going to be the Doctor escaping but the Doctor showing compassion in an impossible situation, proving it isn't just an indulgence. If anything I'm worried it's going to end up being too similar to Death In Heaven, with the Doctor being tempted by corruption.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The main character can change to a new actor when he gets killed. jesus. Classic Moffat rear end-pull.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Kikka posted:

someone smarter than me should try to explain if theres any symbolical/analytical reason to use those hand things. if there isn't any the only reasons are "pun" and "something to .gif".

Possibly evil hands pulling you into darkness could be a literalisation of Davros trying to make the Doctor turn evil but that seems a bit of a stretch.

E: oh, or actually, the Doctor abandoned Young Davros to be pulled into darkness, the disembodied hands symbolising that there was no specific will behind how Davros turned out, the only will involved was the Doctor choosing to not save him. Also they're creepy.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 26, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The sonic screwdriver unquestionably represents a dick, see Day Of The Doctor when they compared them. So the Doctor giving his screwdriver to Davros represents his shame at what he's done, throwing away his manhood, as well as being a commentary on the paedophilia scandal that has forever tainted the British entertainment industry.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The episode is going to have to really suck to bring me down from the Master pushing Clara in the hole.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rookie mistake, Doctor. How could you not have predicted that Davros's chair would be full of snakes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Return Of Oswin Oswald

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

YES THE DAVROS LAUGH

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well the Tardis thing was an rear end-pull but the rest was pretty cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They say he's the creator of the Daleks, he appears in a Dalek-looking contraption and he refers to the Daleks as his children. He then spends the following half-hour chatting with the Doctor revealing all kinds of stuff about his character. Someone who's never seen an episode of Doctor Who before could watch that episode and then describe Davros in a way that passes the "don't describe their job or role within the story" Mr Plinkett Star Wars Review test.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Davros was emotionally engaging, in the sense that his writing and performance made me experience multiple emotions.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I guess the idea was the the Daleks wouldn't grow old and useless any more like the blobs down in the sewers? I'm not sure what they really hoped to gain from siphoning regeneration energy exactly, but wanting to be immortal is pretty universal I suppose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Megaspel posted:

He made the choice to give them the energy, knowing it would unleash a zombie horde. Is the Doctor the Judge and Executioner suddenly?

He didn't know for sure they were going to steal the energy until they did it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Plus it's cool because "have pity" is what Davros said to the Doctor in that one episode where the Doctor blew up Skaro.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Just imagine what could have been!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I kind of thought of regeneration energy as being something that's basically always ticking away in the background, allowing time lords to live for hundreds of years without aging, then there's a big rush of it when something deadly happens. So Matt Smithy had some regeneration energy left, enough to keep him ticking over for a few centuries, but he didn't have enough to actually grow a whole new face or whatever. I think David Tennant used a bit of regeneration energy to boot up the Tardis when it got stranded in a parallel universe and said "that's a year off my life" or something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

Why would a summons from Davros lead to the Doctor's devil may care actions in the 12th century? Damned it I could explain it, because The Witch's Familiar sure doesn't.
Because Davros was asking the Doctor to come and see him and the Doctor was fairly certain that it would be a trap but also felt that he had an obligation to go, so he sent out his confession dial and threw himself a goodbye party. Missy and Clara discuss this in the cold open.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah the last thing I'm expecting Moffat to do is play a prophecy about a mighty warrior straight and expose the dark truth behind the Doctor leaving Gallifrey, any more than he was really going to give the Doctor a real name or rewrite Genesis Of The Daleks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

I wish he didn't rely on the mythology so much, and I wish everything didn't have to be some massive epic that spans centuries and galaxies

One of the things I loved about the last finale was that the stakes were basically the Master wanting a friend, instead of Daleks making a special bomb which blows up all the universes or whatever. In fact one thing I like about Moffat's tenure in general is that the bad guys are bad guys and not cosmos-conquering ultimate threats of ultimate death- see Davros in Moffat's hands compared to RTD's

• Locked thread