Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just in time. I've just started a brief marathon of the most recent episodes starting from Name of the Doctor. It's a good thing there are no bad episodes after that point. Going to be a great weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In the Forest of the Night.

Yup, looking forward to that one.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It had a pair of fantastic episodes, a couple decent ones, one or two that were dumb but entertaining, and just one utter turd that shouldn't have been made.

That's pretty much correct. I tried to stay awake during Listen, but no luck.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He needed some Nick Cave to get into the mood

Yeah, that was an awesome touch.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm being cynical but I get the feeling he did that as an excuse to use the River Song playbook again.

I just really wish you said "the River Songbook" then.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

misadventurous posted:

I don't see how Moffat is appreciably worse than any former producer and by any sane standard he's much better (that goes for most of the things fans give him poo poo for tbqh)

"Ooh he wrote the Daleks differently than last time" "Ohh he made up more poo poo just for this story" "Arrgh there he goes sticking his fingers into the carefully arranged mythos of Doctor Who" -- which producer am I talking about with those three statements? If you guessed Moffat, you get a cookie. If you guessed RTD, you also get a cookie. If you guessed any of them you get a cookie! Everyone gets cookies!!

Relax, it's only Burkion you're arguing with.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

To be honest, if it was an either/or choice I'd rather have Day of the Doctor.

I have to agree. Especially because Day of the Doctor gave us Night of the Doctor.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I just need to say that anyone who seriously thinks that they are entitled to so many episodes of a show each yeah can just gently caress right off.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Those are all good suggestions. Now, any ideas for the bad episode?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The translation matrix always seemed to work by replacing the language in question with English (or whatever language they were speaking), I can see a physical language being outside of its ability.

There's an audio where they encounter creatures who communicate by smell. It manages to pull that off alright.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

So, the Doctor got his Scottish from Amy and his Dying All The Time from Rory, right?

the best thing you've said

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

And More posted:

The Fisher King never really turned into a proper character, though.

I agree mainly cause of the two awesome voices they sourced for him.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Started listening to The Doom Coalition this morning. Spoilers for audiophiles.

I am loving the bad guy so far - a Time Lord was locked away for being psychotic because each time he regenerated, he had “regenerative dissonance” that caused him to keep his old personalities as well as his new one, and they’d argue with each other like Gollum/Smeagol. Turns out his Eighth one went absolutely bonkers in a genocidal kind of way and none of the others seemed to mind. Great name too – The Eleven, and the guy playing him (Mark Bonnar from Line of Duty) does separate voices for each one.

That sounds awesome. I am pretty sure they used that concept in another audio, I think it was Trial of the Valeyard?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I believe somebody worked out that technically we should have had at least one more full season by now.

I love the show so much, but every time this is brought up it just sounds like entitled whining.

Yea there were problems, but no one owes you an extra season.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I am NEVER going to catch up on all the Who related stuff there is out there, NEVER.

This is the opposite of a problem.

I thought I knew how you feel, but I'm really going through the BF Main range, it's almost a reality that I can hear all of their who output.

then I remember I've seen hardly any of the original dr who tv series. and i shed a single tear.

edit: oh jesus, the books, the magazines, the comics, oh my

BSam fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 19, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

They already have my money. All of it.

Nah, the Jamie and Zoe thing was part of a trilogy earlier this year, where a future incarnation of the Doctor found himself transported back to an earlier point in his timeline, so you had Seven wth Jo, Six with Jamie & Zoe, and Five with Steven & Vicki.

Though Six did have a brief quadrilogy with Jamie a couple years back.

Zoe did join in with that quadrilogy for the latter half. I do enjoy those three storys, the Companion Chronicle part I don't really have an opinion about tho.

I'm looking forward to getting the the trilogy with the three doctors and the old companions in my listen though.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

if this wasn't her death scene how long and drawn out will her real death scene be

It will be next seasons arc.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

e: On the topic of good Big Finish stuff that I missed earlier: the first Big Finishes I ever listened to were the three 1963 ones (my big sis bought me them for christmas, lord only knows where they found them from) and they're a good introduction to Big Finish stuff if you ignore the fact that they are full price. They're stories that you could listen to without any knowledge of Big Finish stuff because they were produced as an additional 50th anniversary thing, and therefore they went a lot closer to the TV show than a lot of Big Finish stories do especially with the seventh Doctor one. My favourite one of the three is The Assassination Games because I'm a sucker for that sort of story (plus it has the Counter Measures folk in it!) but that isn't the one on sale - although Fanfare for the Common Men is pretty good as well.

Those three are pretty great. My least favourite of the three is The Assassination Games, but that may change when I reach that point in my listenthrough.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

According to Sarah Dollard's tumblr they were originally the main focus of the episode before it got moved up to being the pre-finale and the last part became all about Clara. I kind of wish one of the worse episodes had been in this position because we still could have had a cool death scene while not losing time from what looked like a pretty great stand-alone story.

I was about to say do we really want her to die from a sleep monster, but then realised that a sleep dust Reece shearsmith actually killing Clara probably would have saved that episode.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I was counting War Games and The Deadly Assassin which mainly gets a pass for actually making things seem kind of weird and baroque before everyone decided that pale reflections of that were all Gallifrey could ever be. And of course Day of the Doctor is a good story despite the Gallifrey scenes.

The Gallifrey audios are really good. Except for that weird vampire episode. That was poo poo.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I've only just started listening but, hey big finish, what the gently caress

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-you-are-the-doctor-and-other-stories

a choose your own adventure audio story? gently caress yes

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Well goddamn, they sure as hell aren't shy about trying new things!

It does work quite well, the first couple of times I did go back to time track 1, but i couldn't be bothered eventually. Soon it breaks down and you really aren't meant to anyway. Was certainly fun.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

We got home from our Greece/Israel trip today, and look what was waiting!

The Hartnelly goodness! The quotes! But I don't know who these are from- either Amazon didn't include a name, or I'm too exhausted and jet-lagged to find it. Come forth, mysterious benefactor!

Fantastic. They arrived in time. There should still be one package coming but it might not make it by Christmas.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

This came a couple days ago, but I haven't put it up yet because I'm horrible!

I really like this shirt. I get inundated with TARDISes all over everything, but this the first one to actually make me think of the ragged old 80s thing that felt so magical when I first saw it and still does.

Thank you, BSam. You're the BBest!

I'm glad you like it.

I've not received anything yet, part of me is giving grace because I live at the arse end of the world, but hopefully something shows up soon.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

He to my secret Santa, should I be expecting something soon? Nothing is arrived yet. Sad face

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It is en route, by all accounts.

Thanks for the reassurance. Will keep you updated.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

Of course I didn't forget Harry, I was making a point because you were talking like there had never been a male companion. There's also Ian, Steven, Ben and Adric.

Not to mention Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yay! it arrived. Thank you mystery secret santa who i can only assume is echoplex. Those prop things are awesome.

• Locked thread