Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
You should watch Doctor Who with your three year old child, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I thought they'd re-released The Two Doctors without the Savile clip - I bought my copy after all the Savile revelations came out and it doesn't have the offending clip on it...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Which episodes of Classic Who have the story of Davros? I'm kinda obsessed with watching all of them after the Magician's Apprentice.

They all have "of the Daleks" at the end so I'm not going to repeat that part: but Genesis, Destiny, Resurrection, Revelation and Remembrance. I'd recommend Genesis (which is Davros's first appearance and the origin story of both him and the Daleks; and apparently very related to the latest one) and Remembrance (it got the balance right between Davros and the Daleks IMO) as first watches since they are the better stories IMO. I haven't watched Destiny recently but I can remember it being not great: its very cheap even for a classic Who story and Terry Nation apparently forgot everything about the Daleks in the years after writing Genesis of the Daleks, I really don't like Resurrection of the Daleks for reasons I've since forgotten, and I've never watched Revelation but apparently its one of Colin Baker's better stories on TV.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Its on BBC3 which isn't aimed at Children but has a remit to provide "innovative content" for 16-34 year olds whatever that means - although I'm in that range and have never watched the thing and no one I know does which suggests that it might not be totally successful. It does suggest something more down the Torchwood route (that started out as a BBC 3 thing) though I think it might be some weird mix of the two. Its meant to go online only at some point thanks to BBC budget cots; so this thing might be one of the first new commissions for an online-only BBC service. It'll still probably be poo poo though

Also what's this poo poo about someone stealing the third episode of Web of Fear, and why am I only hearing about it now?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

TL posted:

Come on, Minutet in Hell can't be THAT bad.

Minuet in Hell is terrible but its the good sort of terrible in that generally its just laughably bad, and that way you can get some enjoyment out of it. Its also salvaged a tiny bit by it being the only appearance of both the Brigadier and the Eighth Doctor in performed Doctor Who which makes it somewhat notable, I guess

Nekromanteia however...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

You also get the Fourth Doctor Lost Stories if you get them together and they cost £25; so you are saving a grand total of £2 by buying them all together...

Every time I see the Hinchcliffe set it seems to have gone up in price to some other value: its now on sale at £40 for a download. Who on earth is going to pay that for it?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Don't know what to think about that: wasn't great but wasn't terrible. My mum liked it and said that it "wasn't as confusing as the other ones were" which I totally didn't get

Jerusalem posted:

Oh you watched the entirety of McCoy's run today? :haw:

What you seem to be implying is that Time and the Rani isn't bollocks, which is objectively wrong

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The bad CGI snake didn't bother me because its Doctor Who: its meant to have the occasional bad special effect

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

If this is Clara's last season, I'm interesting how they have her leave. I mean they haven't killed a companion yet. They've sent them to alternative universes, had them join unit, erased their mind, sent back in time, but not dead.

Clara will be the new Adric

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Question: what's the best way of watching Marco Polo: finding a recon somewhere or just listening to the audio soundtrack?

I'm trying to watch the first classic series and I've got there and I'm not entirely sure what the best way of continuing on is, so I figured I'd ask here. There's an official recon on one of the DVDs but that's only half an hour long and I'd rather see the whole thing

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

no such thing :colbert:

Little_wh0re posted:

Speculation about next ep the zygons aren't actually the bad guy and are being framed or something

i'd actually like that sort of thing, its good when traditional "villains" are shown to be not 100% evil 100% of the time but who sometimes can be victims of circumstance and have a strong good side - the Ice Warriors or the Silurians would probably be better than the Zygons for that sort of thing IMO although I haven't seen a great deal of stuff with the Zygons in it so I might be wrong

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

None of the three explanations of what happened to Atlantis contradicted each other

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

On the topic on random Big Finish chat this reminded me of how the best part of Dragonfire was when it was the Adventures of Mel and Ace, and the release schedule for the monthly series seems to suggest that there's a set of stories with the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Mel coming next summer - I'm still doubtful since they haven't said anything about them yet (because they're almost a year away from release) and so it might be a "we don't know who's going to be in this" filler text, I dunno. If it does happen it adds on to what's going to be a great year of Big Finish stuff; most of which I'm not going to be able to get

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The Talons of Vincent

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Honestly that seemed like a very bad Spooks episode, with the Islamic extremists replaced by Zygons and the Doctor and Clara shoehorned in

The actual visuals were good and that; it was just a terrible script and that's a shame. Who knows, part 2 might get better!!!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Fairytale of New York is better

Its both a Christmas song, and a good song. That's supposed to be impossible to do!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

nice to see the daily politics getting the recognition that it deserves

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They're launching television in Wales next Tuesday, it's mighty exciting

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

America only has three tv networks, right? That's two less than us!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's very much the same here, especially as the BBC gets its budget cut yet further and if the government decide to privatise the entertainment arm of the thing which apparently is something that they are thinking of doing

Its possibly because all those channels split up less advertising revenue than was available in the past, so they can't afford to make the same level of programmes they did before. Probably a load of crap though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

here's an example of bbc scotland's high brow cultural programming

best thing the bbc has ever done imo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that's number 2

e: holy gently caress i just had to randomly pick the episode with sylvester mccoy in it

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 6, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've never actually seen that before...

Scotland doesn't really get "special" Christmas television because there really isn't time in the schedules to fit something in without bumping Strictly Come Dancing or Doctor Who or some big TV thing. Hogmanay is when they used to push the boat about a bit although these days you only get Its Only An Excuse which is kinda funny although getting very stale, maybe a repeat of Chewing the Fat and the same old shite in the Hogmanay show - probably because they can get away with that because everyone watching that over the age of 18 is probably pissed. BBC Scotland usually push out some half decent comedy every few years, unfortunately very little of it is networked (Still Game was in its later years, I think Limmy was as well) so no one really knows that its there.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the doctors dead, rip

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

oh what a shock, the doctor isn't dead!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that seems like a very stupid thing to do

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

did the doctor just call harry an imbecile?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure that when it wasn't on at the same time of year as Strictly Come Dancing it was on at around 7/7:30: but unless they move it to the Spring or change the day (which would be stupid, Doctor Who has always been a Saturday show) or something then they're kind of stuck at going out when they currently are.

Dunno what I thought about that: it was better than the last one and the ending bit was quite nice, but it was nowhere near good enough to counter the poo poo that the first episode was. Capaldi was very good though: I think that he may have made the script seem better than it fundamentally was.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

evil sleep dust

never thought that would be a thing

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

err i don't know what i think about that

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

turns out that brewdog not only makes good beer as a distraction, so they can give weird tattoos

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that was pretty good, i think

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

make rigsy and k9 the doctors next companions imo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Only in the Tenth Planet.

and only apparently because the designer forgot about them when they started filming

also where's that from

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The stories with Sixie and Mel in them tend to be pretty good; that might indicate that its a good'un

Mel is genuinely one of my favourite Big Finish companions: I'm not sure quite why.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

You honestly could replace all of those words with "Nekromanteia is loving awful" repeated over and over again, there's honestly nothing more that needs saying. People poo poo on Minuet in Hell but that's a different sort of bad which means that's its a fun listen to laugh at it, plus it has the Brigadier and that's an obvious plus. Nekromanteia is just unfiltered poo poo with nothing good about it. Usually bad stories have some weird people on the internet that defend them: I'm pretty sure I've never seen a good word said about Nekromanteia...

e: On the topic of good Big Finish stuff that I missed earlier: the first Big Finishes I ever listened to were the three 1963 ones (my big sis bought me them for christmas, lord only knows where they found them from) and they're a good introduction to Big Finish stuff if you ignore the fact that they are full price. They're stories that you could listen to without any knowledge of Big Finish stuff because they were produced as an additional 50th anniversary thing, and therefore they went a lot closer to the TV show than a lot of Big Finish stories do especially with the seventh Doctor one. My favourite one of the three is The Assassination Games because I'm a sucker for that sort of story (plus it has the Counter Measures folk in it!) but that isn't the one on sale - although Fanfare for the Common Men is pretty good as well.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 26, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

That was good; I liked that they tried something different to the norm, and unlike the eyedust story this time it actually worked. I like the fact that the finale seems to be three loosely connected stories within than the big two-parter that they've always done in the past, and it seems to be working very well

I have a terrible theory about the cliffhanger, and I thought that I'd share it with yous all

its "The hybrid is Me!", not "The hybrid is me!"; if you catch my drift. She's in the thing next week after all. Its terrible word play, but something that I could imagine Doctor Who doing

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure One just died from being too old

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's a testament to Lisa Bowerman's charisma and acting, that Benny isn't completely insufferable as a character. That said, they certainly got way too self-indulgent with the character, especially in the latter Benny Summerfield audios.

This is very true, at least from what I've heard.

I've only listened to the two monthly stories (not very good), the New Adventures thing they did (which I liked) and the first series of the Benny Summerfield audios which were based on various NA books. It's mixed, there's some good stuff (the first panto based one is silly but it's the good type of silly plus it has Nicholas Courtney playing a talking cat (don't ask), the Babylon one was interesting and I really dug Love and War for some reason: they are both part of the same story arc but the one in the middle can be skipped unless you really need to hear Colin Baker's terrible Russian accent). There's some poo poo in there as well although that might be because they picked terrible books to adapt, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Colin Baker-wise: I think that Vengeance on Varos is his best story; and one that's incredibly under-rated. Revelation of the Daleks is alright I suppose: certainly the second best Dalek story of the 80s... Unfortunately lots of the other ones aren't very good although I've not seen all of them so I can't accurately comment on them.

I'd also recommend Remembrance of the Daleks for McCoy; although with the exception of Silver Nemesis nothing from the last two series are terrible. The worst you probably have is Battlefield which is incredibly silly and really shouldn't work but it just does, plus it has the Brigadier in it so it can't be bad! Although its not one that I'd watch first, there are plenty of things better!

Are the classic episodes on Netflix still the unrestored ones? They were when I last had it and its a shame that they aren't using the good quality versions of the things there, especially when that's likely to be the thing that gets folk into the older series.

• Locked thread