Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ShakeZula posted:

The only bad thing about Cornelia being back in New York is that her plot is going to be "how do I keepy my father-in-law from raping me?"

In an otherwise excellent episode this is worrying me, and both in the sense of "plotlines about sexual assault freak me the gently caress out", and in the sense of "oh god I don't want that to happen to her (or anyone) ever."

I pray they do something clever and different with it. Obviously the setting is an incredibly lovely place but I'd still love the writers to give me and Cornelia a break and maybe she'll have agency and the ability to do something about it. Father-in-law is basically twirling his moustache engineering all these situations to have a chance at raping her.

However, the scene where she's stuck behind the screen in her underclothes with the booming sound of father-in-law and then she shows herself when he tells her she's going back to NYC, and a single tear rolls down her face, that was my favourite scene in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So does anyone have an idea about what Thack was trying to do to that woman's nose in the first scene with him in the episode? Old timey nose job?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Antti posted:

Father-in-law is basically twirling his moustache engineering all these situations to have a chance at raping her.

If I have one problem with the series it's his character. While basically every character in the show is a horrible person on some level, they all have some genuine humanity about them, whereas his character doesn't seem to have any traits beyond being a wannabe rapist. I really hope she gouges out his eye or something when he does it, cuz otherwise we can all see exactly where this storyline is going (he rapes her, she holds it in and gets all depressed because 1900s politics, maybe she tries to kill herself; at best she tells Algie under duress and he beats the poo poo out of fat rapist man).

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Old timey nose job?

Yes.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What was the point of putting part of the earring in her nose?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Supporting it in the shape she wanted it in, presumably.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
NPR has clips from upcoming episodes http://www.npr.org/2015/10/19/449157018/the-knick-returns-to-the-bloody-pursuit-of-knowledge

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
Nerdist had an interesting interview with the writers of The Knick.
http://nerdist.com/nerdist-writers-panel-226-the-knicks-michael-begler-and-jack-amiel/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My knowledge about drugs is pretty limited, is Thackery worse this season because Heroin is a more "dangerous" drug? And if so why did they think it would help his cocaine addiction?
Or is it simply that he managed to get his hands on more heroin, and so became more addicted?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Oasx posted:

My knowledge about drugs is pretty limited, is Thackery worse this season because Heroin is a more "dangerous" drug? And if so why did they think it would help his cocaine addiction?
Or is it simply that he managed to get his hands on more heroin, and so became more addicted?

I gather that in ye olde days the experimental "treatment" for cocaine addiction was heroin (morphine actually I don't think heroin was around yet) to get the patient through the horrible cocaine withdrawals. The guy that Thackery's characters is based on actually went through this 'treatment' and was addicted to morphine for the rest of his life.

It does also seem though that he was still getting his hands on cocaine as well via the the black market surgeries, and I think that a person heavily addicted to both heroin and cocaine would indeed be quite a sight to behold.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Heroin was marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute at the time. Certainly the staff would be aware that heroin wasn't all it was cracked up to be, and my read on the situation was that is part of the plan for the institution he was in -- lure in wealthy addicts and get them addicted to heroin so they'll never leave.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Oasx posted:

My knowledge about drugs is pretty limited, is Thackery worse this season because Heroin is a more "dangerous" drug?
Cocaine is a stimulant and increases alertness and energy. Heroin is a depressant. If I had to choose under what conditions my doctor should operate on me, I'd definitely take the manic, wide-awake option instead of the one where my doctor's confusedly slurring his speech, clumsily sorting through instruments and in danger of nodding off himself.

Chadzok posted:

(morphine actually I don't think heroin was around yet)
Last season ended with this very shot

and the doctor calls it "a miraculous medication that can virtually eliminate the misery of withdrawal. Don't worry, it's from Bayer, the Aspirin company. Safe as can be."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDdyS8xeJ_Y

Bayer synthesized it about five years before the show starts and it took until about 1914 for the first US laws controlling its sale to be passed. It was banned in the mid-20s.

Chadzok posted:

It does also seem though that he was still getting his hands on cocaine as well via the the black market surgeries, and I think that a person heavily addicted to both heroin and cocaine would indeed be quite a sight to behold.
I mean, he smoked plenty of opium to come down from his daily cocaine intake enough to sleep, all throughout season 1.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
now That was an episode two. that look on thack's face at the end jesus

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Holy poo poo that eye surgery scene. :suspense:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Bertie reading the article at the beginning was a nice touch, I love when stuff I saw on Drunk History shows up in this. :) The time and name of the author don't really match up but I guess after 10 Days in a Mad-House there were others who wrote similar exposés to capitalize on it.

Lucy's dad is a great addition for this season, he's menacing in a really understated way (especially compared to Rapey Showalter). That sermon scene was all-round amazing, from his performance to Soderbergh's cutless direction to the soundtrack catching a sudden case of Theremin Craziness.

Was bracing myself for Thack cutting Algie's eye wide open but this was only the beginning. The climactic bloodbath is still to come. This season is only revving up.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The most low-tech OB/GYN inspection there ever was.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Gonz posted:

The most low-tech OB/GYN inspection there ever was.

A good nose is all you need!
This show is so loving gorgeous. I'm so glad that Soderbergh is allowed to go hog wild.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Popelmon posted:

This show is so loving gorgeous.

It really is; the set design and costuming is second to none.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And lighting. Natural and on-set lights only go a hell of a long way. No spot reflections and no day for night crap, it's downright refreshing to see that in a show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This is a good show and I feel like more people should be talking about it.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
It might not last too much longer either- even with the marketing blitz the season premiere had 100,000 less viewers than the series premiere. Season two was ordered a week before launch, there is no word yet on season three.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

atrus50 posted:

It might not last too much longer either- even with the marketing blitz the season premiere had 100,000 less viewers than the series premiere. Season two was ordered a week before launch, there is no word yet on season three.

Ffuuuuuuuuuck noooooo

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Okay I will be legit upset if this is the last season :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I wouldn't worry to much isn't Banshee on Cinemax as well and it doesn't really get amazing viewing numbers. Or is that Showtime?

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The show's creators have a ten page treatment written for season 3, but are full time working on a new "scifi thriller" series. The network has given them no signs of cancellations nor renewal. The prop department has recently packed the entire show up and moved it to a different warehouse. at least the sets arn't outside/in danger to the elements

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't worry to much isn't Banshee on Cinemax as well and it doesn't really get amazing viewing numbers. Or is that Showtime?

Banshee's on Cinemax. I doubt this show will be cancelled.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Banshee's on Cinemax. I doubt this show will be cancelled.

Banshee got canceled. We have Outcast to look forwards to, for what its worth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUe4KD8mqZE

...and something called Quarry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcwNXQikrg

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

atrus50 posted:

Cinemax dumped the show onto HBO Go for the first season, they probably got a decent chunk of viewers through that who would be waiting for the same thing with the second.

Seriously though, the show is too good for Cinemax.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Illinois Smith posted:

Lucy's dad is a great addition for this season, he's menacing in a really understated way (especially compared to Rapey Showalter). That sermon scene was all-round amazing, from his performance to Soderbergh's cutless direction to the soundtrack catching a sudden case of Theremin Craziness.

I think the fact that he seems pretty intelligent alongside being crazy fanatic about his religion is interesting and makes him menacing instead of a joke. The "old-timey religious nut who hates foreigners and infidels" is so played out, give me "crazy mystic snake handler who think everyone is united by God even if they don't know it yet" anytime.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

DarkCrawler posted:

I think the fact that he seems pretty intelligent alongside being crazy fanatic about his religion is interesting and makes him menacing instead of a joke. The "old-timey religious nut who hates foreigners and infidels" is so played out, give me "crazy mystic snake handler who think everyone is united by God even if they don't know it yet" anytime.

Yeah. The first time we see him he doesn't seem too bad, good father, doesn't seem too pushy about his religion, etc. And then we get the sermon scene where it starts out like that, and slowly builds to him speaking in tongues because "God is talking through him" and you slowly go :aaa:

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Gimme that old time religion. Really hoping that the Speight investigation keeps moving at a slow drip. This season is already setting up to be much better than season 1.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chadzok posted:

I gather that in ye olde days the experimental "treatment" for cocaine addiction was heroin (morphine actually I don't think heroin was around yet) to get the patient through the horrible cocaine withdrawals. The guy that Thackery's characters is based on actually went through this 'treatment' and was addicted to morphine for the rest of his life.

There's a lot of people who still mix coke and heroin, and yeah, it'll kill ya. I've heard the term "speedball" but never in the mouth of an actual drug user. It's kind of an old-timey term at this point. Check out this article on the practice, including fun list of deaths due to the combo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedball_(drug)

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
It's been a while so sorry....but why was Bertie so upset at Thack? (besides killing that girl accidentally)

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

popejackson posted:

It's been a while so sorry....but why was Bertie so upset at Thack? (besides killing that girl accidentally)

He hosed the nurse Bertie wanted to gently caress.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Specifically he was super in love with her (when Bertie's dad wants to get him another job somewhere else he tells him she's one of the main reasons he wants to stay) and courting her by going on museum dates and buying her pretzels and just assuming that made her his future wife. Meanwhile Thack was secretly taking her virginity with cocaine lube ("I can make it painless and perfect"), which is what a nice girl from 1901 really wants. The fact that he practically worshipped Thack and saw him as his other big reason to stay and defy his dad made it even more of a betrayal in his mind.

I've been thinking about where Algie's story is going this season. He needs to find a surgeon without shaky hands to fix his eye. On one hand he has his pal from the black hospital (why didn't he just ask him? Does he not trust in the guy's skills?) but my hunch is that he'll ask Bertie next, who will decline because he doesn't want anything to do with the Knick anymore. Is it gonna end with Gallinger somehow being forced to operate on the black guy he despises for taking his job?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 26, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Is it gonna end with Gallinger somehow being forced to operate on the black guy he despises for taking his job?

Gallinger is going to gently caress up whatever repairs are done to his eye by decking him in the hallway of the Knick. Or at least the promo for the season appears to show that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I forgot who/what was the health inspector last inspecting?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

r0ck0 posted:

I forgot who/what was the health inspector last inspecting?

EDIT: I forgot a scene.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 27, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

centaurtainment posted:

The last thing we saw him inspecting was the Typhoid Mary case, which had a clear resolution (her getting released was the last we saw of him IIRC). I think his death is supposed to be a mystery to the audience as well as to Cornelia.
He was asking Barrow about bubonic plague patients last episode, then he went to the docks to look at some stowaways who had died of it. When he wanted to see the immigration records the guy kicked him out but told him to come back after dark, when he would show them to him and talk about some unspecified monkey business going on. And hey, check out who owns the ship in question:

Cornelia's investigation is gonna lead to her dad.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 26, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Illinois Smith posted:

He was asking Barrow about bubonic plague patients last episode, then he went to the docks to look at some stowaways who had died of it. When he wanted to see the immigration records the guy kicked him out but told him to come back after dark, when he would show them to him and talk about some unspecified monkey business going on. And hey, check out who owns the ship in question:

A ship in every port between here and Persia but can't pay for a lawyer for her nunny friend. Thanks for the recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Illinois Smith posted:

Oh that's riiiiiiiiight. Thanks for correcting me, I had totally forgotten about that scene but yeah, obviously that's what's up.

• Locked thread