Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Infinotize posted:

I am kind of sad he was a downer on the awesome dash font.

Doug has poor taste, I thought that was discussed previously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Infinotize posted:

That exhaust you had really made the car. And the 80's cocaine-white. Doug will be Doug and his reviews are weird and shallow on the driving experience (which is his shtick and I still watch all his poo poo so fair enough), but I am kind of sad he was a downer on the awesome dash font.

I can't blame him entirely. There's lots of what seems to be stoplight to stoplight driving, which would of course give you very little appreciation for the steering.

But yeah, 6/10 on aesthetics? The typeface is perfect. We'll never go back to that, when these days you have awful serif fonts on nav screens that clash with everything else in the car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Doug has poor taste, I thought that was discussed previously?

He is pretty awful about knowing anything about cars, but he's really good at being an internet 'personality'.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Doug Demuro is a loving hack

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's only few auto journalists I don't mind listening to. I can't stand him or Matt Farah.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So far I'm enjoying savagegeese. But yeah in general I'm really tired of hearing the same poo poo over and over. 5 things I hate about car YouTubers: oh wait

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

There's only few auto journalists I don't mind listening to. I can't stand him or Matt Farah.
If you're not watching Harry's Garage, watch Harry's Garage.

Edit: Why don't you like MF? He comes across to me as very genuine, and actually knows his poo poo, neither of which I can accuse Doug of.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 2, 2017

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Edit: Why don't you like MF? He comes across to me as very genuine, and actually knows his poo poo, neither of which I can accuse Doug of.

I like Farrah when he's interviewing people or describing a car he's driving in his one takes, he definitely knows and loves cars. But he can be pretty annoying by himself.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm also not find of his 2+minute commercials at the beginning of the videos. He's knowledgeable, and half the time he's interesting to listen to. The problem is the other half where he's insufferable.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, now that the Lotus is gone, how about another 348?

337km on the clock. Sold for just shy of 150 kiloeuros.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bolind posted:

So, now that the Lotus is gone, how about another 348?

337km on the clock. Sold for just shy of 150 kiloeuros.

Were I ever to get a 348 again, it'd have to be one with the sports seats, which look amazing. Though that black interior does look nice.
That Sotheby's one has a perfectly flush targa top; so jealous.

I had been worried that mine had some issue that caused the front corners not to line up with the windscreen, but the last 2 348s on BaT had this problem, so I feel better.

The red one was fairly sneaky in presenting the top on:

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DSC01280.jpg
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/59922ecebe38d_DSC01275.jpg
You can barely make it out as not sitting flush:
https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DSC01274.jpg

E: also, I wouldn't outside park a 348 thanks to its slatted engine lid. That and a TS would leak like mine.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

I just don't find him that interesting to listen to. The last video I watched was him driving a V8 starion I think. It was all "Bro. This car is next level poo poo. Bro this a car!" which I couldn't take. Bonus points for use of the words "chode" and "sick." He may have just been excited or whatever but it just sounds like any other Bro doing a review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpmymrOoir4

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 11, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's still infinitely prefereable to Doug Demuro. I feel Matt is someone you could actually have a discussion with cars about at an adult level.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have a feeling Matt's Cali/bro accent and general demeanor will affect people to different degrees. It doesn't really bother me, but I could see it being really grating.
His awful forearm tatt is a huge distraction. I'm glad they went to that 2-camera setup.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My only issue with Matt is he tends to say 'uhm' like every other word. Take a minute and figure out what you wanna say and how to say it to the camera, dude.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I hung out with Matt once and he was really chill and down to earth - really, really knows his poo poo. I can't really stand Doug's voice but I do love the interior quirks of weird/supercars so I usually watch the videos until he starts driving, which is always slow and tells me nothing about how the car drives. At least Matt can really whip.

Harry's Garage is the best, I don't think anyone is going to argue against that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Voltage posted:

I hung out with Matt once and he was really chill and down to earth - really, really knows his poo poo. I can't really stand Doug's voice but I do love the interior quirks of weird/supercars so I usually watch the videos until he starts driving, which is always slow and tells me nothing about how the car drives. At least Matt can really whip.

Harry's Garage is the best, I don't think anyone is going to argue against that.

I totally agree with this. I'm not a full on car guy so I find the weird quirks a lot more interesting than someone talking about super technical handling stuff. Thankfully in Demuros videos he usually spends most of the time showing the quirks than driving.

I also really enjoy Savage Geese (thanks for the suggestion!) and Harry's Garage. One Take I'm not huge on probably due to the above point. However he does have a huge array of cars driven compared to the others.

I really want to like Petrolicious as it's beautifully shot and they do strange Euros but there is no real substance in any of the videos.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I really want to like Petrolicious as it's beautifully shot and they do strange Euros but there is no real substance in any of the videos.

It's kind of up its own rear end. I feel like they try to peg every owner's story into the same hole instead of letting their personality come through more.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

It's kind of up its own rear end. I feel like they try to peg every owner's story into the same hole instead of letting their personality come through more.

Agree, but still it's wonderfully shot which puts it above virtually every other car-related video series on the internet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-mondial/

"We did not fix the AC or Sunroof for two reasons, #1 If we had fixed these items, it would have prevented a DIY person the fun of doing it, and #2 as we are in California and the prices are much higher than in other parts of the world. We would have had to pass on this cost to the buyer."

All true, but talk about spin.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kimbo305 posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-mondial/

"We did not fix the AC or Sunroof for two reasons, #1 If we had fixed these items, it would have prevented a DIY person the fun of doing it, and #2 as we are in California and the prices are much higher than in other parts of the world. We would have had to pass on this cost to the buyer."

All true, but talk about spin.

That reason #1 may be the most bullshit sentence I've ever read. I'm just floored at the sheer audacity. "Well, we could have done it, but we're too loving lazy and cheap then you would have missed out on all the fun!"

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Those two problems also have an unfortunate relationship.

The AC doesn't work but this is California, just open the sunroof.
After you experience the joy of fixing it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Haha, AC and Sunroofs are like two of the worst jobs for DIY'ers, imo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BaT gave the car a Success Story.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

That's awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Never saw that before. The car sounds incredible as usual, and the stock stance with the spacers is so awesome:

In the in car video, I do get a little annoyed at how those non-segmented wiper blades I put in don't quite sit down well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if they're pumping it all up for a sale, or just having fun posting it
https://instagram.com/p/Bao2ynag7fl/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Back to the Ferrari build quality and paint topic --
a BaT Testarossa deal went south over paint condition:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-ferrari-testarossa-6/#comment-1915397

I think the buyer has every right to ask for the car to be in the condition as claimed in the listing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the paint was sloppy from the factory, as a follow comment has said.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proof that dealers are always going to be dealers, even with BaT.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Proof that dealers are always going to be dealers, even with BaT.

Yeah, if the dealer had access to a paint thickness meter and any integrity, he would have disclosed the issue during the sale. And we know the dealer had access to a paint thickness meter...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Stick to Porsches, guys.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's official -- up for sale now:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc2JXdAgkJU/
http://www.tachyon-motorsport.nl/projects/1991-ferrari-348-ts-targa/

I definitely want to know how much it sells for; will gently ask my buyer how Euros he's hoping to get.

e: the more I look at the car, the more I have to concede that blacking out the front grill (per factory) would look right.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Stick to Porsches, guys.

*moves to try to block out 911 behind me*
The 911 is a car you get when you want the improved reliability of an IMS bearing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrOnBicycle posted:

Stick to Porsches, guys.

*knocks on wood*

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kimbo305 posted:

Back to the Ferrari build quality and paint topic --
a BaT Testarossa deal went south over paint condition:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-ferrari-testarossa-6/#comment-1915397

I think the buyer has every right to ask for the car to be in the condition as claimed in the listing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the paint was sloppy from the factory, as a follow comment has said.

I missed the DOXX on that. Was it deleted or removed from BaT? Who was it that got called out?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I missed the DOXX on that. Was it deleted or removed from BaT? Who was it that got called out?

I would assume the buyer dealers are not hard to find.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I would assume the buyer dealers are not hard to find.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The winning buyer was another dealer, and the seller posted at the top of his response the buyer's business address, name, email, and phone number. Dunno who edited it, if it's Best doing some damage control.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's pretty hosed up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure I had a comment asking what BaT would do about their fee that got deleted.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wait, so this was sold by a dealer to another dealer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wow, you guys AI brigaded that one!

• Locked thread