Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ah, must be a friend.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSD2eF1DIwH/
Mbhuis must be the owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The event: http://www.stellaalpinastorica.it/wp/en/programma/
2000km drive to Trento and then around there.

The 348 is reported as running well except for the starter motor.

I like how the drivers self-organized by year of make.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The white is so much better than the others it's amazing.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Jymmybob posted:

The white is so much better than the others it's amazing.

There's a Daytona in the last picture :colbert:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Trans Ferdinand posted:

There's a Daytona in the last picture :colbert:

Was red, didn't notice :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yellow doesn't really do it for me, but curious how this'll turn out with a recent belt service: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-ferrari-348-2/
Seller is clearing out some of his collection, so his reserves might be lower.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's something I obviously don't get here, but... why do people spend so much money on what's obviously a driver-oriented car that's meant to be driven... and.. not drive it? ~21k miles over 25 years? Average mileage per year in the US is around 10-12k, right?

You drove yours far more than most people seem to drive similar cars, and I know you enjoyed driving it. It just blows my mind that people spend so much on a car, then let it sit, taking it out for a quick trip to the grocery store/church/etc and back a couple of times a month. :smith: I know the miles on this one are a lot lower than most similarly-aged cars in the same class, but it seems like it's very rare to see an exotic with more than, say, 50k?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

There's something I obviously don't get here, but... why do people spend so much money on what's obviously a driver-oriented car that's meant to be driven... and.. not drive it? ~21k miles over 25 years? Average mileage per year in the US is around 10-12k, right?

You drove yours far more than most people seem to drive similar cars, and I know you enjoyed driving it. It just blows my mind that people spend so much on a car, then let it sit, taking it out for a quick trip to the grocery store/church/etc and back a couple of times a month. :smith: I know the miles on this one are a lot lower than most similarly-aged cars in the same class, but it seems like it's very rare to see an exotic with more than, say, 50k?

Did 12k in the Poop Joke for the first year I had it. Dealer didn't believe me when I said I daily drive it 60 miles.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you have 10 cars and drive the average amount... there's your <1.5k miles/year per car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BigPaddy posted:

Did 12k in the Poop Joke for the first year I had it. Dealer didn't believe me when I said I daily drive it 60 miles.

Is that a word filter you just found? I don't get it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BloodBag posted:

Is that a word filter you just found? I don't get it.

Scat Pack?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Most people buying these cars have several cars including a daily driver. Why put boring miles on the fun cars when you have a disposable daily that's cheaper to run/repair/insure? Save the fun cars for fun driving to keep them fun, when you start daily driving something special all the fun quirks turn into annoying issues.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Scat Pack?

Correct, I just call it the poop joke.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BigPaddy posted:

Correct, I just call it the poop joke.

Poop group is a far better phrase. :cmon:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Turd herd.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Stool Sault

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Crap Clan

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Manure Mob

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
defecation congregation

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
poo crew.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
poo poo outfit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
fecal people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dung Droogs

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Excrement entanglement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

There's something I obviously don't get here, but... why do people spend so much money on what's obviously a driver-oriented car that's meant to be driven... and.. not drive it?

Not to... poo poo the poo poo pun train, but my take on collecting sports cars and not having time to really thrash them is that it's basically
Steam games for rich people.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Not to... poo poo the poo poo pun train, but my take on collecting sports cars and not having time to really thrash them is that it's basically
Steam games for rich people.

This an analogy I can get behind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, why buy it if not to drive. On the other hand, if you're collecting so drat many of them, putting that few miles on a car that is already outside of the normal depreciation curve can keep your actual costs of ownership quite low.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When Muffinpox and I were at the Europa seller's collecting the car, he casually mentioned "yeah, these cars really haven't given me much trouble, only stranded me once. The ignition failed once on the TR5, so now I always carry a spare ignition system."

I think the TR5 got more miles, but he'd driven the Europa 600mi in the last 2 years.

e: my point being, a lot of cars can be pretty reliable and maintenance free for 600mi.
Though the seller still put in a ton of preventative mods that he didn't have to.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 13, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Non-red F355, reported accident, needs belt service, headers fixed with aftermarket items, no valve guide work done:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-f355-3/
Good price, I think. I'd be tempted to get into a 355 if that were around, though I like white much better than silver.

An accident and off-brand color probably really helped here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

http://jalopnik.com/a-ferrari-308-gtsi-is-terrible-to-drive-today-but-that-1796536618
This review got me thinking about the idea of driving excitement. DeMuro recently reviewed a 430 Scuderia, whose sound had him remark that it was such an exciting car to drive.

So the guy's knocks against the 308 are that it's not fast, doesn't have good brakes, doesn't sound good. I think that's fair -- a gated shifter along is not enough to make a car exciting, especially not for the price of admission

The 348 had great brakes, very nice handling, the gated shifter, and IMO lackluster sound. Getting that exhaust put it over the top by far. It still wasn't supercar fast, though.

The common refrain is that a slow car driven fast is more fun. I agree. But I think where I'm going with this is that stuff like the exhaust note and specific feel of the controls can be big components of driving excitement, and that I'm now comfortable with looking cars with those features.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is the difference between the NA Miata and the E30 318is for me.

The Miata's controls are unified in their feel and compliment the throttle and brakes nicely. Everything is light and can be done with a pinky or a toe. The same amount of input is required for all systems in the car, and the same level of output results from all of them.

The 318is has the throttle and braking response of the Miata, but with heavier steering and an unweighted German shifter. I want a nice example of this car desperately, but when I drive one, it always throws me how turning requires twice as much effort as you'd expect from such a lightweight drivetrain. The whole package doesn't add up to an organic whole, it's just a more excitable E30.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I agree that the Miata control implementation is good because it's consistent, but my point was that a Miata could be a dramatically different car if the only difference was that it sounded like a rotary or a V8, and that it is ok to have those factors contribute to how excited a car makes you feel when driving.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Poop Troupe surely.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This fuckin owns -- the client Tachyon was supporting at the road rally in Italy had a wheelchair, which the 348 carried on rack:

Album has a neat tear-down picture of the motor and a clip of the exhaust:
https://www.facebook.com/tachyonmotorsport/posts/1609735832370384

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A red 348 TS with only 2 years since belt service is on BaT:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-ferrari-348-3/

I'm actually getting really excited raving about the car in the comments and reliving the ownership. I'd forgotten what the car did for my automotive soul.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sold at 52k. 2 years on its timing belt. Figure 8-10k for the belt service, and now I feel pretty good about the white 348's sale price, figuring the exhaust was just a freebie in terms of value.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I was watching that auction and your comments. Very informative and you could see a wave of nostalgia hitting you pretty hard. I loved your white, but red and tan is so classic it looks right on that car. Seems like the market was fair to both of you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bleh, DeMuro was not as positive on the 348 as I was expecting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-r5zArIp-U
Upshot is that he's done his part in keeping 348 prices low.

Things he didn't talk about :
- the mismatched wheel directions
- inboard driver's seat
- leather tool case (though the car didn't have it)
- the gated shifter, which seems like a huge thing to pass over

He didn't rave about the steering like most people who drive it do. I certainly endorse it.

He did, however, bring up one thing that I had never noticed! There's a metal tab for your fingers to help pull out the door, which I never once used.
It's right under the door release in the strake well:

I've looked at these pictures forever and never noticed it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Bleh, DeMuro was not as positive on the 348 as I was expecting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-r5zArIp-U
Upshot is that he's done his part in keeping 348 prices low.

Things he didn't talk about :
- the mismatched wheel directions
- inboard driver's seat
- leather tool case (though the car didn't have it)
- the gated shifter, which seems like a huge thing to pass over

He didn't rave about the steering like most people who drive it do. I certainly endorse it.

He did, however, bring up one thing that I had never noticed! There's a metal tab for your fingers to help pull out the door, which I never once used.
It's right under the door release in the strake well:

I've looked at these pictures forever and never noticed it.

Yeah I saw that episode too. I actually thought he was quite positive about it overall but compared to most of the cars he reviews I could see why it might get a lower score. I still think they are awesome cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

That exhaust you had really made the car. And the 80's cocaine-white. Doug will be Doug and his reviews are weird and shallow on the driving experience (which is his shtick and I still watch all his poo poo so fair enough), but I am kind of sad he was a downer on the awesome dash font.

• Locked thread