Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH DICK posted:

Requesting thread tag change to HOT

My only regret is that I can't embed this in the background as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfgf9HatIHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I should call them. They have 1990 as their default newest year, so I put everything in as a 1990 instead of 1991, and the site came back with "you don't satisfy the criteria."
Not sure which factor was holding me back.

kimbo305 posted:

Following up a few more qs so far:
I don't have any other car.

There's a good chance it's this, especially if it was a computer that decided against you. You might have better luck actually talking to someone there; this type of insurance is still better handled by people than machines. But it's always been my understanding with them that they won't insure any car unless you have at least one daily driver car as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least when I first started with Hagerty, there was no age limit on the driver car (at least, not one that young) - it's why I bought my '88 Volvo 240, and this was around 2005.

Not that I think it matters to much of AI now since we're all getting to be old fucks, but back then Hagerty was also the only company I could find who would touch an under-25 driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Just talking out loud and orienting himself to the age, I think. I haven't decided if it's rude to ask someone if their car is a replica or kit.
The few times I talk to someone with a 356, I'll ask, so I guess I'm guilty of it myself. And I certainly do it for every Cobra I see.

For what it's worth, the rollbar is usually a good giveaway of a clone Cobra - most of the kits beef that up quite a bit compared to Shelby's mousetrap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the 356 replica to real ratio isn't far off of the Cobra these days - it helps that both are cars that have drivetrains that are easy to duplicate in just about every way. You end up with a very faithful recreation of the original experience, even if the components aren't the same.

Whereas a 348 would probably cost as much to properly recreate as it would to just loving buy one, since pretty much the only place you can get a flatplane V8 is with a prancing horse on it.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone to be at least a little offended if you ask if a real one is a replica, but the amount of rage I've heard from kit-Cobra owners who hate the K word is just hilarious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

For some reason, that car's fuel and oil temp gauges are switched.

Inattentive reassembly during some maintenance? But goddamn that's nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That car is on, hence the clock and fuel gauge running. If the oil temp is busted like mine, then maybe an owner had them switched to make the fuel easier to read.

Right, I was assuming they were still hooked up and running, but it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put one in the slot for the other - are they actually an assembly or two separate gauges?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn, that would've been useful a few years back when I was recovering from surgery. But I'm with Ola, I don't see how that won't leave a mark on the B-pillar instead. Even if you wrap the peg in something soft, if it's not perfectly clean it's at least going to scratch. Maybe if you trimmed it so it didn't reach past the actual latch hook?

Dave Inc. posted:

First off, your car sounds absolutely beautiful and nice choice on the exhaust. Secondly, this so much. After I swapped my 911's headers and put on a high flow muffler I can't not drive it like an absolute turd. Stuck in traffic? An excuse to run to redline in 1st over and over. Making a left through a big intersection? Slide it out, bounce off the limiter in 2nd.

I'm sorry everyone, I just can't help it. Only Kimbo understands.

I may or may not drive the LS1 around in L1 half the time just to rev it up, let off the gas, and hear it pop all over the place on decel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Oh good, it's ribbed. I was breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about being asked to measure the pitch diameter on something like that.

Just keep your dick in a vise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRNdUYasHU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SHOTS FIRED

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Third bidder on the grassy knoll!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

$40K!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Best use of :f5: since pppppowerbook.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Work can wait, kimbo :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SNIPE

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He's playing head-games here folks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jymmybob posted:

I'm going to guess 41k, pulled straight out of my rear end

Your rear end seems remarkably accurate right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

I'd do the fix, then drive the balls off of it, knowing that everything else is pretty much bombproof.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to deal with another soft top (the ragtop on the Miata was really more nuisance than not) I'd have a hard time not getting a Boxster. Alas, the Cayman hasn't hit that level of cheap yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Illegal as gently caress, but I wonder how hard it would be to put together an Arduino or something that spoofs all of the appropriate OBDII commands / responses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same for the LSx world. You can make the ECU ignore conditions that would otherwise set CELs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a genius idea for a car community like that - low volume, high likelihood of write-offs, for reasons that may or may not be concerning to the future owner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, at least that's the type of failure you would have no way of catching beforehand, unless you do an engine out service and it is visibly cracked already. So I'd hope / expect the buyer doesn't think you somehow hid this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it still seems like a solvable problem with more modern belt materials and the drop in costs of short-run manufacturing (i.e. if perhaps relocating idlers resulted in a longer life).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It is a Ferrari. I wouldn't put it past them to insist the belt had to be made using whatever poo poo passed for "rubber" to their engineers at the time the car was designed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like they're laminated too, better for frequent use!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

glyph posted:

Lotus pics.

Show me the weird please. I.e. how does that car weigh 1500 pounds?

Come this way, my friend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, why buy it if not to drive. On the other hand, if you're collecting so drat many of them, putting that few miles on a car that is already outside of the normal depreciation curve can keep your actual costs of ownership quite low.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BaT gave the car a Success Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proof that dealers are always going to be dealers, even with BaT.

• Locked thread