Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

but yeah Ive been around for a long time.

Join the club... Started as a VW guy (84 GTI projects), then Honda guy (the DREG Civic Coupe project), now I'm a boring old fart.
Cases in point:
GTI (2004-ish):
'01 GTI (2006-ish):
Heading to Alaska (2011):
Very few pictures to show the changes, but I don't look anything like I did in '04.

I think the community is shrinking, primarily because we accept very little BS. People don't want to learn to behave, they'd rather go to Reddit/FB/wherever and be juvenile. I can barely deal with 90% of the automotive forums out there. It's poo poo-tastic, except for this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I love the Masshole in the Pilot at 4:23, just eases out, then across two lanes... Gotta love Boston.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

You can hear me backing off when he pulls out, planning to cruise through and run again, but then when he moves through that lane, I was like, gently caress this guy, and blow past him and the person behind me in my destination lane.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with that area... I towed a 26' boat all over Boston with an F350 Dualie. gently caress, all over New England. I drive a 2500HD White GMC now, and people still like to act like they can't see me. I can only imagine how nice it must be to have your presence announced with an Italian Howl.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

yes. Check those.

also do you have weirdness going on with the L/H turn indicator on? if not your ground paths are fine.

Did they do something assholish and run two parking light power wires? or do you have one connector for park/turn and it splits off inside the housing via crimps?

answer to 1. get a dummy test light and ring out the connectors
answer to 2. lovely crimp. twist/jiggle the crimps with the lights on.

E: one is a weatherpak (ugh) and the other two are bullet connectors (double ugh). old britshit uses them. they're always making GBS threads up.

Weatherpak's aren't THAT awful, certainly better than what was used in the 80's and early 90's. Those bullets are terrible, and prone to leaking water badly. The yellow insulated, non-sealed crimps need to go. I'll be that someone broke a socket or two, and bought used ones with short wires attached, then used the crimps to connect them to the factory wiring. Bleh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Crimping with the correct tool is better. Soldering is fine, so long as you support the connection with glue lined heat shrink. No matter what, use glue lined heat shrink.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Mass excise tax is wacky.

It's an age-based system...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I know, I pay it. The valuation is hosed up, though. For me, it fails to account for the fact that my car started life as a Focus ST not a regular Focus hatchback. I'm not complaining, though, it saves me money.

Same here. All our vehicle are old enough to get the minimum valuation, except for my truck. It's not a bad idea, as it keeps people from complaining that their old car isn't worth some KBB/NADA book price. It's amusing if you have a very expensive old car, as Kimbo does.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

I left a message with MGH's Neurology intake to try to get the followup. They're supposed to be really good, but they're also the people who missed my coworker's leg cramps as metastasizing cancer that killed her at 23.

There's always BWH for a second opinion. One of the good thing about living in Boston...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Yeah nah. One of my friends fathers had a XJ-S, kept it garaged and looked after it, and it was a money pit and then some

To run one, you have to afford six (because they're cheap to buy).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

it's a strange combination of viewpoints.

Welcome to Japan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
$35K... 3 hours to go!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
35,5... 36,250... 36,5... 37,5

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 26, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
bee dee beep! The final countdown. 38 now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Got a little 3 way action going.

giggity

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Come on 40K

aaaand there it is

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
he backed down, gonna go for 40.

poo poo, first guy back in.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Slippery, back in at the last second.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your rear end seems remarkably accurate right now.

Bingo. Wow. Hopefully the guy comes through.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Yeah, seems about right.

Looking at other stuff this guy owns/has for sale, i'm certain it's him. His username is very publicly tied to his company, so i can't imagine it would be seen as inappropriate to link this. http://www.tachyon-motorsport.nl/p/12/67/projects

Yeah. Looks like a legit guy, congrats! I've always wondered how reliable BaT buyers were, as I've never seen a lot of info about the success/failure ratio.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Congrats on the sale!

If the buyer is indeed based in The Netherlands, it would be interesting to hear more about the process of getting it there.

Also, looking forward to the numbers, but I totally understand and respect that you'd want to be careful dispensing that information. All in due time.

Kimbo lives in Boston. It'll be simple. A courier will pick the car up in a covered truck, take it to a terminal, and it'll get loaded onto a ship. Car carriers are in and out of Boston all the time, but it may end up in a container, and loaded onto a container ship.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Best of luck. The demuro video is pretty good. Quirks, but still :krad:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

dreesemonkey posted:

How about a factory five cobra or something? I guess not having a roof could be a downside, but dang they're cool.

They're made here in MA... common as gently caress. I see one a day here on the Cape in the summer.

Now, the Type65 Coupe or the GTM, those are a lot rarer. However, they're owner-built kits, and the interior is, as Kimbo said about the Noble, "existent" at best.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Atoms look really cool, but they're expensive for their extremely limited utility. I mean I wouldn't be above going shopping in one, but I'd have to go by myself.
I have looked online for Exocept Miatas (in the vein of Lotus 7 clones, price wise) but haven't seen any.

Remember the Type 65 project I worked on way back? That guy who had twins and had to stall the project? It still needs some work before he applies for street legality!

I forgot about that. Got any updates?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Shelby replica, you say? Factory five is local as hell, and the type 65 coupe is beautiful.

Of course, they're kits, and not in the same realm as a Porsche or NSX.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

That is beautiful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Check out this pricing data point:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23850/lot/155/
Probably in decent shape, but also on an old timing belt.

Doesn't have the later Challenge carbon fiber seats, but used to be a concours winner. I guess my selling price wasn't so bad, then.

Especially considering the undignified end of the belt, I'd say not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The guy who bought your Ferrari just bought 3 911s in France... I don't think rebuilding the engine in your old car will be a stretch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Oh good, blown up electrical diagrams... You'll need those! :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Oh of course he will... I follow him on Instagram, he's got a loving nice life.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

What is his username?

https://www.instagram.com/erik_kouwenhoven/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ah, must be a friend.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSD2eF1DIwH/
Mbhuis must be the owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm also not find of his 2+minute commercials at the beginning of the videos. He's knowledgeable, and half the time he's interesting to listen to. The problem is the other half where he's insufferable.

• Locked thread