Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 INCH DICK posted:

Requesting thread tag change to HOT

Yep.

Beautiful car. That open door shot makes me shudder at thinking of detailing it, though... so many areas for wax lines... it would take me literally 2 days to do that car. And it would be worth every second.

What's the dirty public's reaction when driving it in comparison to the Viper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tindjin posted:

Also how has this not been posted yet?

Maybe because it's not a Testarossa :question:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat that's a great view. Seems like most people I've talked to that went the Colorchip thing had mixed results when it comes to matching something exotic.

Even pedestrian cars. It took them 3 tries to get a close-enough mix of BMW Alpine White. That said, at least they did keep trying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

He already did:

kimbo305 posted:

Then spent the next hour struggling with the Dr. Colorchip kit. The instructions make it seem like you should hit it with the cleanup liquid / finishing rub within 5 minutes, but the touchup paint seems pretty normal, in that it's still liquid at that point. After googling around, I found this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html
which jibed with what I was learning about it. The only thing that's nice about it over a normal touchup brush is that you can overapply and then "wet sand" it down with the cleanup liquid and cloth, instead of settling for waviness in your touchup.

Results are not great, color match wise:

The triangular tip at the top is the cleanup cloth. The spots are about as noticeable in real life as in the picture. It's ok for 10ft, but closer is pretty glaring, especially without clear over it.
The big chip I started on was so deep that I'm doing like the link recommended and curing in a layer before finishing tomorrow.

I couldn't confirm the color for my car. There are some charts out there, but nothing for 1991 348s. Of the 3 colors that Dr. Colorchip had, I think I picked the yellower one and got burned.
Amusingly, Bianco 212 and White 100 are the same. I should have gotten Bianco Beta, I think. The kit was like $50. I probably could have gotten a color matched spray for $300, which I'll consider down the road.
I touched up a few chips along the lower fascia, but opted to leave the few other chips on the body alone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's small enough that a little bit of putty and some good wheel spray would make it almost invisible.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's the problem with non-car people talking about cars. They don't know enough to even join the conversation.

I'll bet they still have no concept that your fancypants °º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°Ferrari°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ costs less than a loaded Jeep Wrangler or loaded GMC mid-sized Acadia.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How many specialized tools does it take to do a cam belt change on your car?

All of them, probably.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

Did he try to talk you down because it was damaged?

Yeah, how much did you get for it? Did you tell him it has a new battery?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

What's really sad is the thought of a poor Iron Duke lugging around all the extra fiberglass and bondo.

That's easily fixable, too:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

After reading Centripetal Horse's homeless struggles thread, where he's not sure if he wants to spent $20 to get his oil changed, I

Link, please.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

drat, that's not the update I was hoping to see.

Have you been biking lately? Does that make it worse?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Doesn't sound good, hope it's something simple and treatable.

This. But our bodies are weird. My wife went through something last month where she had a normal cold. Then, all of a sudden, she was dizzy like she was drunk. 5 hours later, after we went to bed, she couldn't move because the room was spinning around him so much. Ended up with a 911 call because she couldn't move.

Turned out to be an inner-ear problem, probably from the virus of her sickness. hosed her all kinds of ways. Oddly, there is physical therapy for this type of vestibular thing and she's doing well now.

Bottom line -- get it sorted, kimbo305, hopefully it's something that's diagnose-able and easy to find. :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Not to make a joke of your physical condition, but it does sound like the car is trying to mimic your body's symptoms... or vice versa.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Astonishing Wang posted:

Piss in the Ferrari if you're worried about her thinking you're a snob.

This will truly determine if she is girlfriend material or not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Invest in some curb feelers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

The Pilot Super Sports on my Z06 had a very generous offset just above the rim that saved me from the curb many a time. I would definitely pay extra for a rally-style ring around the sidewall there to protect the wheels.

Look for a tire with a "Rim Protector" or "Rim Protector Bead." Nice, solid chunk of rubber that takes a casual curb rub instead of hitting the rims.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sten Freak posted:

Maybe the 348 bash was due to the service interval and costs. The design is whatever you think of it but they feel like they're on rails and sound sublime.

As far as the 400 goes I think they're as cool as any other odd exotic from that era.

This view looks especially good but yeah it's a 3 speed auto.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/400i/1853568.html

Hard to believe that was sold contemporaneously with the Testarossa.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seconding environmental. Check around for other drips on the floor by the driver side. Look up, too.

Yeah, that or jealous / malicious / stupid truck driving by. Could be unlikely since it's in a garage with (I assume) low ceilings, but a truck with a side-pointing exhaust would make that spray pattern with exhaust condensate if revved next to the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

I'm gonna take the car in like this for a while before I make the leap of color-matching the targa top. I think a black top makes more sense on a red car. There's some part of me that thinks it looks more aftermarket than the actual aftermarket top.

Aftermarket or not, it's factory. That seems to be a value add in itself.

Have you tracked down any previous owners to find the reason for the aftermarket top in the first place? There may be some other issue causing the misalignment?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wow. He really did a whole lot of work to ruin that car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What I take from this thread -- I should just buy a Z06.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

This sentiment is totally understandable. Having a beater Miata has been really liberating, especially for a neurotic perfectionist like me. The car is presentable but annoys me to no end with its rust, faded paint and rock chips. I do want to eventually own one in pristine condition but would it really be better? A showroom condition car would be too nice to take out all the time and would just end up stored away from the elements.

Right now I can just hop in and drive it where ever and when ever, without giving a second thought to salt spray, gravel roads or street parking it with the top down. The car turns into a means to an end rather than end in itself.

There was a time that I had two turbo Miatas. One was pristine. The other was a beater. I sold the pristine one and DD'd the poo poo out of the beater. So much more liberating to be able to haul on something with little worry about maintaining perfection.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On the value front -- do you see a seasonal change in value? i.e. if you sold now, would it bring less than it would in April/May? I assume yes, I was just wondering if flipping would be viable. It seems like it would be, and the margins would be big enough to make it worthwhile.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looks like the comments are very positive and you're gaining a good rep there, that's great! Good luck with getting some bidding action over the next couple days!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

"harmful brake soot" instantly flags him as either a troll or an rear end in a top hat with little real world experience. Perhaps both.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thanks for giving us something to watch this afternoon.

:munch:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

You're losing to the isetta!

I've gotta say, auctions are my favorite form of gambling.

Looks like it's on now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beat the Isetta! Grats!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Player 3 Joined.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sounds like a great buyer and good deal for you, congratulations on the sale, glad it all worked out!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Now that it's over can I point out that the paint on the passenger door didn't match with the paint on the front or rear quarters? In every picture I saw (even the legendleasing's glamourshots), the color was darker. If there was something that happened that caused the door (or the front and rear quarters) to be repainted, that could explain the top not fitting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, fire away.
2nd highest bidder asked that, and I truly didn't see it in person. The two things that make it hard for me are the green/darkening effect of the strakes and the angle that body takes behind the door.

What's the best picture that illustrates it?

https://legendleasing.com/images/gallery_huge/IMG_7257.JPG635727191424675115.jpg

It's not overtly noticeable, but the door is more yellow than the rest of the car. You can play with a photo program and look at the color codes if you wanted to quantify it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, I definitely see it. I guess I'd call it less blue or more pink than the fenders?
Can see it in the dock pictures:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...0JpejZsVUtuUGFn

I wish I had the same lighting conditions on the driver's side, but I can sorta see the same thing going on with the driver's door?:

Yeah, those definitely show it, too. I hadn't really noticed the driver's side, but maybe...

I didn't want to say anything while you owned it, but the whole time I was wondering if that had something to do with the tops not fitting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

I was expecting a perfect flush fit with the OEM top when I got it, so was surprised it was protruding more at the front corners than along the rest of the front edge.
I pointed that out to the shop, who have no real incentive to sweep a problem under the rug. They agreed with me that, if the car were bananaed front to back with the windscreen raked back a bit more, the fitment problem wouldn't look like it does. Also can't think of a story where both doors would need repainting. Branch falls on doors and top?

If I had to guess, I'd say the other way, for instance a rear-ender pushing into the car in front. Repaint front and rear, but avoid painting the doors because the strake painting would be a nightmare. Pure conjecture, though... maybe nothing happened. I just didn't want to put negative thoughts into your head with such a sweet ride.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I totally believe that it's possible that the factory made it like that. Inferior Italian production methods, and all. I was just something I wondered over the time it was floating around here... seemed coincidental that there were color issues in the middle and fit issues in the middle.

Having owned an '87 Biturbo Si, and seeing the factory double-gasket the exhaust manifold? Yeah, I'd believe just about anything with Italian car assembly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

It's all that is keeping me away from multiple 6-8k sub 100k Boxster's around me. Scared of the risk and as such I'd probably do the fix and then always wonder if I just threw away $$ for it.

I'd do the fix, then drive the balls off of it, knowing that everything else is pretty much bombproof.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bibendum posted:

The Elise is easy to get in and out of unless the top is up, and has working heat and defrost. They start every time and require no special maintenance and still are great to drive.

I view the clamshell issues with the modern Lotus cars as a bigger issue than IMS on some Porsche cars. The Porsche is a mechanical issue that is uncommon, but can be prophylactically solved. The clamshells on the Lotus cars are fragile and extremely expensive.

If you can find one that's been salvaged for clamshell, repaired and sold reflecting the branding, that's an option. Otherwise, I find them to be too delicate of a snowflake for ownership. Damned shame, too, because they are great running, great looking cars at a reasonable price with a small garage footprint. All prime metrics for me. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

How could he do all that poo poo to an LQ9 and only end up with 365whp? :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jymmybob posted:

No idea, i see pushrods and iron block then just blank out to 200hp thanks to 90s GM. It is a local car though and I messaged him a while back before getting something else. I wish i him luck in getting 5 digits.

If you're talking about the LQ9, it makes 350 at the flywheel from the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Remember how you were upset that I wasn't driving the 348 hard enough? I don't have to worry about that stuff if I get normal car that I have less money into, so I can drive it harder without guilt. That's the appeal of going to a less exotic car.

That's why you should throw a suspension and supercharger on the Charger and drive the balls off of it.

• Locked thread