Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Yep.

Beautiful car. That open door shot makes me shudder at thinking of detailing it, though... so many areas for wax lines... it would take me literally 2 days to do that car. And it would be worth every second.

What's the dirty public's reaction when driving it in comparison to the Viper?

The Viper got tons of attention from everyone, I think mostly due to being red, loud, and not an immediately recognizable car. You would be sitting in the passengers seat and aware that every car and person on a street were looking at you.

The Ferrari seems to get less of that, but those that do look almost always approach you and get a photo.

Nodoze posted:

It looks surprisingly a lot like an SW20, just a lot bigger

Voted 5, congrats man. Also let me drive it sometime :buddy:

e: what is your DD now??

It's a tiny car in person, it's like a foot bigger than my '01 Miata. It's also so late 80s in person it hurts. It's wonderful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oooooh a real Ferrari!

Whats the gearbox / gated shift like to row through? I've only driven flappy paddle shitfest Ferraris and I would looooove to try a real gearbox

It's actually pretty weird at first, if you try pushing in a diagonal it doesn't work. You really have to guide the lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Engine photos:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Das Volk posted:

:monocle: Holy poo poo dude, I've been pulled over half a dozen times in the last couple of years and I don't pay that much per year. Are you getting hit with a zip code tax? Maybe try insuring it at the 'rents in the suburbs?

Boston insurance is pretty high in general, I have no record at all and I pay ~800/year for an 01 Miata. If I lived near downtown crossing it would be even higher. People love to hit each other.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

At my peak AIness, my 3 cars were an NA Miata, a Group 2 rally Focus, and that supercharged SVT Focus.
If I got a 2nd car, I"m positive the same thing would happen -- I'd buy something cool and impractical and less reliable instead of something reliable and capable of carrying 4 tires in the hatch.
I currently own 9 bicycles; I need to thin that herd to have more time to focus on cars, too.

My local Ferrari shop is Aston Martin of New England, who has a Ferrari-certified tech who works on a wide age-range of Ferraris. They do tires in-house, and quoted me :eyepop: $280. The next most expensive place locally is $120. I also found out their labor rate is $135/hr, which seems reasonable enough.
I would like to check these guys out more -- I need them to install these Ricambi skid plates under the front lip and do all the real maintenance work on the car.

You know what has a hatch, can carry tires, is reliable, and fun?

A C6 Z06.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I like more that the Miata has a higher magicka.

The Miata has race seats and 6 points and rates higher than the viper on ergonomics too.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

leica posted:

So does he get to auto cross and review the 348?

:q:

:getin:

Edit: I'm dressing up as Sonny Crockett for this.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

ZERO GIRLS WILL BE HIT UPON WITH OFFERS OF FREE COCAINE.

Totally.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

leica posted:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't forget, no earth tones and no socks.

Trip report; this car loving owns. I'll talk about it more when I write up a review but this car is the definition of perfect pure mechanical driving experience.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 10, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Cross post review of the 348 from autox thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729338&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post451398533

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

No more hill climb because that guy crashed?

He was killed in the crash. According to a car and driver article, there was a trophy for highest trap speed in a certain section and he was attempting to win that.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I'd be curious what their worldwide sales distribution is. If it's like 80% Middle East and China, I wonder if they'll have sustainable sales numbers in a couple years.

Ferrari limits production to something like ~7500 car per year, and there is probably way more demand than what they produce. They make most of their money off of licensing/merch/events/partnerships, lagging car sales would be less of a death blow to the company than losing the exclusivity of their brand name.

Edit: Apparently things have changed, Ferrari makes a bulk of their profit from cars and programs like corse clienti now.

2012 sales figures put US as largest market with 2000 units and China as second largest with 700, UK the third with 650. There was also a 2 year wait list as of then.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Bulb update:
1156 is apparently another name for the base spec used. That spec is also known as BA15S.
The specific 5W Philips bulb I need (which was in the leather toolkit) is a 12821, so I ordered more of those.

The spare in the toolkit actually still worked. The problem is, that bulb position is not working. I'll have to poke more to see if it's the bulb holder or the wiring leading to it. Either way, disappointing.

A friend helped me put on the spacers today. I didn't have a 22mm socket for the wheel bolts, and neither does the toolkit. I guess the slime tool is Ferrari's alternative.
e: After my buddy picked up the 22mm socket from the only local shop that had one, we got going.

The jacking point is either end of the rear subframe, nice boxed steel. I could only get my jack in from the rear.

After popping the wheel off (didn't expect any issues since the tire shop had just put the tires on), I encountered these:

Maybe to help hang the wheel? Some other spacer install guide said to take them off. I came dangerously close to rounding one of them.

This is what the 245 (1cm narrower than stock) tire looks like on the wheel, which maybe is part of the problem:

Would have been fine at 265 if they had it, but the Star Spec doesn't have 265/45/17.

The spacers were really nice, but the grade 10 bolts they came with were pretty busted up at the threads -- they clearly came out of a big bin. The whole hubbub on FC was over bad threads causing a bolt break, but Ricambi said they were fine to use.
This is how they looked: http://imgur.com/a/xGttw

Those bolts hold the spacer to the hub. I didn't get a shot of that; sorry.
Then you use your stock wheel bolts to hold the wheel to the spacer. I ordered some aftermarket high quality bolts, but they gave me the 1994 348 bolts, which are longer because the 1994 has the fixed wheel offset:

So I couldn't use them. I'll swap those when I get them replaced.

Torqued everything down to 75 ft-lbs. Felt a bit light. How often should I have my torque wrench calibrated? It's a Snap-on that I got years ago off some guy.

The before shot:

And after shots (really crappy because I had dirty hands and couldn't hold the camera steady):

It definitely looks right now, and seems to play up the exotic midengine packaging. That last shot exaggerates how jacked up the wheel gap is compared to in real life.
After doing both, there seems to be more negative camber on the left than on the right. Could be how the car settled on the tires? I'll see how it is in the spring when I get it aligned.

Give it to me this weekend and I will let you know how much the handling improved :getin:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

It's a turbo setup isn't it?

Flame decals

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The City of Cambridge levied a $724 excise on the Viper, which was kind of a lot.
Guesses on the 348's excise value?

Huh, I thought 10% of original value was the lowest assessment rate in ma.

Edit: holy poo poo it is, MA thinks your car was $12000 new :lol:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 25, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

howling_mad posted:

Wait, MA taxes you a percentage of the vehicles original value every year? The hell?

Sorta, there's a flat tax rate of 2.5% on the valuation of the car, but the valuation changes every year until 5 years past the date of manufacture.

I also forget if they prorate the valuation based on how many months of the year you own the car or not, but Kimbo is only paying .8% rate tax on 1200, so I'm pretty sure everyone in MA just paid for their 348s with 10% cash and 90% bricks of cocaine.

some texas redneck posted:

I didn't want to be the one to say "man Snoop sure has changed a bit".

Kimbo looks like snoop irl that's just the lighting in the video

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

I dont care what anyone actually looks like. They will always be their avatars to me.

My avatar is 100% accurate to what I look and act like in real life, except I'm even more jacked from my jacked on jacks workout program.

Powershift posted:

So with all this insane road tax, your roads must be absolutely glass smooth, and plowed daily in the winter right?

The taxes all pay for the big dig which is just a giant web of tunnels to make yourself go deaf from tunnel blasting. Totally worth it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 26, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
We couldn't get good video, but here's what the car sounds like at that 3200rpm resonance. It wasn't so much the volume as the noise. With the stock exhaust the car doesn't have a harmonic like that at any RPM range. It is absolutely intoxicating. We were in 20-30mph traffic that kept us at that range and people were putting down their windows.

http://youtu.be/idjmFZai3oE#t=44s

I can't even describe how Ferrari knocked this car out of the park in terms of driving experience. The Z06 and the Viper really are my benchmark cars for handling and experience but they're really just ball crushingly savage cars. They do what you tell them and consume road at a frightening pace even at 5/10ths. The sheer volume and tenor the LS7 and the Vipers V10 at full throttle is all consuming. But the Ferrari is just driving nirvana. Your inputs are all mechanical and extremely rich and you feel at one with the car. Now it is just complete aural bliss at any RPM; the car picks up a wail once you get above 2000rpm that doesn't go away. There's a satisfying off throttle thrum, crackle from the exhaust when lifting, and bassy scream when downshifting. It's definitely a car that you think "this could be faster" but it's just such a good drive.

sharkytm posted:

I love the Masshole in the Pilot at 4:23, just eases out, then across two lanes... Gotta love Boston.

Sadly, that's actually how you're supposed to merge there. That lane ends 200ft later with a giant curb that forces you to turn into a parking lot, so cars also pull into that lane to brake and slow down for the turn after where pilot enters. There was a big dig exhibit at the museum of science that had an interactive traffic flow exhibit that said how that is the absolute shittiest way to design a entrance/exit, yet that design still made it into the reworked roads.

Basically 99% of people driving like massholes is nurtured into us by road design.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 8, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I think the 360 has aged better also.

But it still won't turn heads like a 348/355.

The 348 doesn't get much attention, but those that do ask about it usually are car people. The C6Z was mistaken for a Ferrari quite a bit so people asked for photos with it or just liked vettes.

The Viper got obscene amounts of attention and any time it was parked there would be people oogling it, usually because they had no idea what the gently caress it was.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Jesus Christ, tell me that's a joke. Isn't that getting close to what the Charger is actually worth?

$2850 valuation, the actual excise tax is somewhere ~$75

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
They go by base msrp for a model, I think they count ST as a trim so it's not factored in whereas an S4 is a different model than an A4.

:doh: I read gud

So wait.. the real car is valued at $1200? That's kind of a shock.

The lowest rate is 10% of msrp so someone missed a 0.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 25, 2016

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Even in death Henry is sticking it to Enzo.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Bring my Saturn, then the charger, then progressively nicer cars each date until you show up with the Ferrari.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
STATUS UPDATE:
I raced the Ferrari with the widened rear axle. The rear still feels a bit too soft or just not enough grip, although it was faster compared to one of the benchmark cars from last time I drove it. The softness is great in the wet, or I'm a god at wet driving, because I managed to hold onto fastest street tire time against a Cayman Gt4 and a slew of other unreasonably fast cars until the track finally became actually dry.

The exhaust is absolute nirvana holy unbelieveable poo poo. It sounds absolutely unreal in person. Every single person had their phone out to record it at some point, working on course or in the paddock. I sent Kimbo a text informing him the Ferrari broke sound and he replied "never lead with "the Ferrari broke"" :lol: I got some good video of driving it but couldn't get clean audio.

https://youtu.be/N_jueE-k3Lg

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 8, 2016

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I found good footage of the exhaust, you can hear the overrun popping too which is really satisfying
https://youtu.be/tefsMeQplK8

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

Doesn't matter after

Resale is in the toilet now.

Look at this nouveau rich Ferrari owner not knowing to use distilled tears of the working class to refill his windshield washer fluid.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I drove kimbos 348 around this weekend to charge up the battery and decided it's either my most or least favorite car I've borrowed from him. When you want to drive it, nothing else compares, and even having to run to a store in it sounds unreal but it's a pretty finicky car in terms of driving and can be a chore when you just want to go somewhere. There's no real get in and go, you have to let it warm up a bit or it balks about second gear. Any noise is terrifying and hearing something you didn't notice before is panic inducing. Valve train clicking off a wall next to you? Is it starving for oil? Should I stop right here shut it off and check the sump? Oh my god how much is a 348 motor. Parking it is a nightmare if it's not in a driveway since you're worrying about someone dooring it. The Ferrari also gets a really different kind of attention; the viper got leagues more but it was a very different kind, most people just had no clue what it was other than it was red and looked fast. The 348 no started on me after I stopped for coffee and it was rather bizarre having to ask people if they could jump it. The 348 is a really good second car that you can go enjoy driving in.

I used to end up with the viper or C6Z06 for a week at a time and they were fine, they're super cars but still function as a daily if you really want to. I have joked about taking the Ferrari to work but I would absolutely dread every loving second of having that thing in traffic or our office parking lot.

BloodBag posted:

Goddamnit. With the lack of power taken away, that removed the excuse I had to not get one. Oh well, lack of money is still an excuse...

PM me if you want to know anything, I haven't really posted much about it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 2, 2016

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I feel less bad for missing those after we looked at the battery together.

Also I'm going to need to borrow the car for racing again so I can tell you how the 15mm front spacers affect handling and put my white suit to good use again on Halloween.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I can't remember how I started letting Muffinpox drive my cars, but I would definitely call that liberty "exceptional."
It started when he had the old S4 and I had the SVT Focus or something.
Meanwhile, I get to drive around in his bodykitted FR-S and confirm everyone's AZN ricer stereotypes.

190E cosworth. I think the first car of yours I had long term was parking either the s2000 or evo at my place for the winter.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

"harmful brake soot" instantly flags him as either a troll or an rear end in a top hat with little real world experience. Perhaps both.

Id go with rear end in a top hat. One time I showed up to a "American car day" car show with Kimbo's z06 while it had full American flag painters tape livery with name tapes and numbers on it and the event runners thought it was so hilarious and awesome they put the car right up front. At some point while talking to someone about it, a guy walked up, looked at the car, and made a derogatory comment about the brake dust in a completely serious manner.

Das Volk posted:

The thread died because I just wasn't doing anything with the car, and I don't really have time to keep up with the forum anymore. A friend of mine was dying to drive it, and had driven my black car as well, but he made the mistake of letting his girlfriend drive the car. Its value started climbing once they announced the end of production, so I ended up owning both cars for free essentially. Sad it went out the way so many of them do though.

Edit for those who care:
Project.next is either building a dedicated hillclimbing/track car or buying a friend's McLaren 650S. I love the Viper but it's limited at my event's altitude, and building another one doesn't scratch the car ADD itch anymore.

Snakebite :( Sorry about your viper.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ola posted:

Congrats! Will be interesting to hear about the final virtual lease rate. Should be around $1000? That would confirm my views on Ferraris - they're not fantastically expensive, just very expensive. And not worth it for me, even though I've enjoyed every second I've been in and around one.

Probably closer to $2000/mo, white suits are expensive.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Now that it's over can I point out that the paint on the passenger door didn't match with the paint on the front or rear quarters? In every picture I saw (even the legendleasing's glamourshots), the color was darker. If there was something that happened that caused the door (or the front and rear quarters) to be repainted, that could explain the top not fitting.

This is what separates the NSX and 348 apart for me, I wouldn't put it past Ferrari to have just said "why would you order a car in white? Eh, looks good enough" while doing the fit and finish. The 348 reeked of a car where the amenities were a "oh I guess we should do that" because why the gently caress would you take your Ferrari out when it might rain, leave the top at home instead of stowing it. Everything about the actual driving and mechanicals of the car was artwork, but then you get to the door and there's exposed screws. The NSX is a billion times better and more thought out in terms of fit and finish but it lacks something the Ferrari had in terms of driving. I hate to drop the "soul" moniker but you can feel the Ferrari was built to be driven and enjoyed and forget the rest, while the NSX was something you could live with everyday.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I still think you are crazy for not liking the NSX more but that really comes down to preference I guess

I love the NSX, it's like 98% of driving a 348 in terms of driving experience and 100% better for living with. I prefer the 348 just because that 2% is the difference between "this brake pedal feel is amazing" and "I will never encounter a car with brakes this perfect again".

Obligatory exhaust noise:
https://youtu.be/tefsMeQplK8

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 4, 2017

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Supercharged frs?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I don't think anyone will doubt your commitment or love of america if you buy an American car, guess you're gonna have to get the GT40.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

In a post a while back, I show the startup and all the lights. There's 2 engine lights, one for each bank, but only 1 turn signal light. Probably the right priority.

It's a turn signal warning, as in you accidentally used the turn signal

https://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0

Seminal Flu posted:

I hope he's able to afford two.

This thread is so amazing.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I borrowed the boxster as the frs had the throw out bearing die :(

I've been without a convertible for a few months now so I might be a bit biased based on how hard I get driving something without a roof at this point, but this is a pretty badass little convertible.

The Ferrari was immediately and obviously old, the Porsche still looks a lot like a new one. My Roomates knew it wasn't off the showroom but couldn't tell it was more than 2-3 years old. It feels more like a modern Porsche too, it's much more 997 than the 996 turd zone. I really like the seats, they have solid lateral support but are still comfy. There does seem to be a bulge the pushes up against my back around my shoulder blades in the seat back but I haven't played around with adjustments.

It's a nice looking car inside and out, the cabin is pretty spacious and well thought out. It feels a lot like the 348 to drive, there's a noticeable heft behind you with a light front end. They also have a "mushy" sensation about the suspension, the car has a lot of spring rate but is rather softly damped. The corvette z06 felt like this too, the NSX/s2000/viper were different. They had softer spring rate but had a much more precise feeling dampening profile. I can't say I really like the mushy feeling as a driver but it doesn't seem to slow the car down, just a different approach.

The shifter is pretty eh in the boxster, it's a really long throw but the gates are rather tight together. The 348 had a very mechanical snick snick snick clack clack while the boxster I think is cable actuated. You can tell it's in gear but it doesn't feel great. The closest comparison Is probably a e46 3 series shifter. The clutch isn't bad, it has good feel even if the uptake is a bit funky. It was easy to use immediately.

The throttle and brake are very 90sesque with longer travel. I haven't really tested out either since it's daily driving duty, the brakes seem to have good feel and the pedal is solid. The throttle is pretty nice, I thought it had some lag but that goes away with better tip in. The gas pedal sits way back from the brake pedal, the most comfortable way to get in a good heel toe is some more.... spirited braking.

The motor has a bunch of torque down low and sounds really nice. The exhaust is pretty sedate but has a burble off throttle. It can't match that 348 siren screaming in your ear exhaust that would woo everyone in earshot, but the flat 6s has its own character. The steering is also pretty well done, it's very light and unobtrusive when you're going in a straight line or turning slowly but it picks up feeling and weight the harder you toot around corners. The steering also isn't slow but it's not superfast enough to initiate a MR tankslapper scenario if you frantically jam in too much steering.

I don't think it's a car you can really compare to the S2000, the similarities really end with the roof goes up roof goes down portion. The S2000 is hardcore sports car that you can drive daily while the boxster is a comfier but capable sports car. I also would hands down but a boxster s over a Miata.

The Miata is nice and I really loved mine but the boxster is pretty superior in terms of convertible experience. Power top, even though it's kinda slow. Mein porsche. Brembo brakes stock. Soft leather, a good stereo. It also sounds better than the Mazda 4 cylinder. I think the only time that a Miata stands head and shoulders above the Porsche Boxster s is really cultutre. I know plenty of Porsche owners and most of them look down on boxsters as the plebeian spec loser car. The boxster s owners also are pretentious against the boxster owners and as a result, you can't get a friendly over the pants hand job on the side of the road when you bro spot another boxster owner like you could in a Miata. Once I was driving my Miata over to pick up the 348 and I stopped at a light. A green nb that could have been a mirror for mine rolled up next to me at the stop light. I looked over and he had race seats and a passenger, they were both all harnessed up. My lip quivered as I said, "is your roll bar a..." and he finished my sentence by saying "HARD dog", seductively emphasizing the first half of the sentence. I could hear the submarine strap buckle groaning against the increased stress in both of our cars.

The nds are looking pretty good so that that may sway the argument a bit, but this has been a pleasant surprise based on all the poo pooing they get.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 14, 2017

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Oh good, blown up electrical diagrams... You'll need those! :v:

One of the funniest things about the purchase was the seller casually mentioning that between his triumph and the Europa, the only issues he ever had with the cars is the ignition systems completely failing and the fact he carries basically an entirely new one with him everywhere.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Will we muffinpox style autocross review? I hope the answer is yes!

I wasn't planning on it but for you? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

If you're not watching Harry's Garage, watch Harry's Garage.

Edit: Why don't you like MF? He comes across to me as very genuine, and actually knows his poo poo, neither of which I can accuse Doug of.

I like Farrah when he's interviewing people or describing a car he's driving in his one takes, he definitely knows and loves cars. But he can be pretty annoying by himself.

• Locked thread