Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
Satyricon is like the ultimate goon/non-goon yin-yang book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
The Count of Monte Cristo, The Grapes of Wrath, The Road, Neuromancer, Last Exit To Brooklyn, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles, Of Mice and Men, Brighton Rock , The Doors of Perception and the Spinal Tap companion book.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

frytechnician posted:

The Grapes of Wrath

just stick with the abbreviated version imo:

damn horror queefs fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 20, 2015

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Any Marlowe novels are good, I read them all last summer and loved them.

The Big Sleep is first but I didn't like it as much as The Long Goodbye. The Black Eyed Blonde is garbage and no one should read it.

The Long Goodbye is peak Marlowe.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And another thing. Garry Shteyngart. Although he is somewhat goonish.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
simon armitage's "little green man" is good for knotty male psychology stuff. also "the white stuff" is similar but more slow and suburban

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

frytechnician posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo, The Grapes of Wrath, The Road, Neuromancer, Last Exit To Brooklyn, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles, Of Mice and Men, Brighton Rock , The Doors of Perception and the Spinal Tap companion book.

The Count of Monte Cristobis great. Ignore what that goon in the last GBS Book thread said about reading the abridged version.

Three Musketeers stories are good too, at least the first few, if you just eant something light.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ThePriceIsRight posted:

cryptonomicon really opened my eyes to how much of a weaboo autist neal stephenson is

This book is goony as gently caress you goony gently caress

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Professor Shark posted:

The Count of Monte Cristobis great. Ignore what that goon in the last GBS Book thread said about reading the abridged version.

Three Musketeers stories are good too, at least the first few, if you just eant something light.

Don't listen to this fool. Dumas is boring as gently caress. Read a Russian novel if you want a long book that's actually well written and not full of overly verbose descriptions of 18th century interior decorating meant to pad out a novel that was originally published as a serial.

Grapes of Wrath, On the Road, and Last Exit to Brooklyn are all legit as gently caress though. Wind Up and Neuromancer are just ok.

All of the Raymond Chandler suggestions are also good.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 20, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Also any good suggestions for mystery series would be good too, thanks.

Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafron was good

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
You lookin for non-goon books from the place where only goons will tell you about books, when there are like a million others ways to look for books. yo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

You lookin for non-goon books from the place where only goons will tell you about books, when there are like a million others ways to look for books. yo

Oh yes let me consult the rest of the internet, I'm sure that will turn out better than asking SA

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler is a great novella. Basis for Eyes Wide Shut.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
The City and The City, China Mieville

Pale Fire, Nabakov (gently caress Lolita)

Unreliable narrators are the best narrators.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only read dusty old grimoires written in blood bound in human skin that contain knowledge no mortal man was ever meant to know.

That and Star Wars EU books.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Ghaz posted:

lol sorry if infinite jest is a little above your reading level
Don't give me lip jerkoff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sheep-Goats posted:

This book is goony as gently caress you goony gently caress

guess how i know you didn't read that post

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

guess how i know you didn't read that post

Hmmmm

I'm guessing you read the post.

LOL at reading posts.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gravity Pike posted:

(gently caress Lolita)

No, please do not gently caress lolita.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners Or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book is what I recommend to this thread. :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hobohemian posted:

Don't listen to this fool. Dumas is boring as gently caress. Read a Russian novel if you want a long book that's actually well written and not full of overly verbose descriptions of 18th century interior decorating meant to pad out a novel that was originally published as a serial.

Grapes of Wrath, On the Road, and Last Exit to Brooklyn are all legit as gently caress though. Wind Up and Neuromancer are just ok.

All of the Raymond Chandler suggestions are also good.

Ignore this guy, The Count of Monte Cristo is really, really good. If you're going to dismiss a book because it was serialized you're going to be dismissing a lot of great stuff.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've been reading The Stand, its kinda slow but also really good like you don't even mind it being slow because it is so well written

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Mikhail Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time is really good and very short.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Punch Card posted:

Mikhail Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time is really goodbad and very short.

Much like your weener lol

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Here is a selection of books that I enjoyed recently perhaps you might enjoy them too.

Don Quioxte -- Cervantes
Spring Snow -- Yukio Mishima
Petals of Blood -- Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
WE -- Eugene Zamiatin
The Golden rear end -- Apuleius

Of these books I would probably most recommend The Golden rear end.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jim Barris posted:

Here is a selection of books that I enjoyed recently perhaps you might enjoy them too.

Don Quioxte -- Cervantes
Spring Snow -- Yukio Mishima
Petals of Blood -- Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
WE -- Eugene Zamiatin
The Golden rear end -- Apuleius

Of these books I would probably most recommend The Golden rear end.

These sound a lot like some sjw bullshit, what is your stance on gamergate "friend"

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Nooner posted:

Much like your weener lol

Hey I'll admit my penis is garbage, but the book is fantastic!

GORP

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Nooner posted:

These sound a lot like some sjw bullshit, what is your stance on gamergate "friend"
I think they should try to take over the government and then commit seppuku in the oval office upon realizing they're doomed to failure. Alternatively, they're a bunch of donkeys tilting at windmills. Petals of blood is about a murder in africa and im not sure how to fit that in as a joke about gamergate sorry

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jim Barris posted:

I think they should try to take over the government and then commit seppuku in the oval office upon realizing they're doomed to failure. Alternatively, they're a bunch of donkeys tilting at windmills. Petals of blood is about a murder in africa and im not sure how to fit that in as a joke about gamergate sorry

Fag

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Read The Haunting of Hill House, 'cause Shirley Jackson's writing style's buttery smooth.

quote:

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.

gently caress, yeah.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Zlata's Diary

Kid writes a diary during the 90s bosnian war, shenanigans occur.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

catch-22
hard times
anything by coleridge
anything by john dos passos
anything by mccarthy
the fagles translations of odyssey/illiad/aeneid
chandlers detective stories
as i lay dying
one hundred years of solitude
a confederacy of dunces

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones is the best book that I ever read in English class.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
The life of a simple man by Emile Guillaumin
about french peasant life in the 19th century written by a french peasant from the 19th century

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Blue Raider posted:

one hundred years of solitude

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
The General of the Dead Army – Ismail Kadare

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Ignore this guy, The Count of Monte Cristo is really, really good. If you're going to dismiss a book because it was serialized you're going to be dismissing a lot of great stuff.

Ulysses

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Read The Haunting of Hill House, 'cause Shirley Jackson's writing style's buttery smooth.

gently caress, yeah.

haunted house == goony as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

the fagles translations of odyssey/illiad/aeneid

Lattimore's Iliad is so much better that you're a basal retard for reccn FAYGOTles over that

• Locked thread