Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ulysses is great for collecting dust on my shelf. I got through the first two parts before I gave up. Someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I was going to post another non goon book, but there are so many in this thread already.

Pick any one of these:

StashAugustine posted:

brideshead revisited

Hector Beerlioz posted:

War & Peace is the best book I ever read.

E1M1 posted:

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Hector Beerlioz posted:

High School ruined it for most people, but I like The Great Gatsby.

squartle posted:

realtalk: invisible cities by italo calvino

drat horror queefs posted:

im reading dr zhivago again and it is extremely dope.

pevear and volokhonsky done changed the game, dogg :ussr:

satanic splash-back posted:

I recommend reading Ethan Frome.

jBrereton posted:

Primo Levi's The Periodic Table.

Ddraig posted:

Candide
The Collected Works of William Blake

amityville anus posted:

Lolita by Vlaadimir Naabotrek

Professor Shark posted:

I would add Anna Karenina , it's basically a spiritual sequel to W&P.

a dog from hell posted:

Bukowski, Knut Hamson

a dog from hell posted:

Journey to the End of Night by Celine

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fante & Naked Lunch if you like those.

oncearoundaltair posted:

Pale Fire by Nabokov
Life: A User's Manual (novel) by Perec
Balcony In The Forest (Un balcon en forêt) by Gracq

Best Giraffe posted:

The Plague by Albert Camus is pretty good op hth

Blue Raider posted:

catch-22
anything by coleridge
anything by john dos passos
as i lay dying

Hadaka Apron posted:

Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Ulysses is great for collecting dust on my shelf. I got through the first two parts before I gave up. Someday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXX6-iVwfw&t=12s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

haunted house == goony as gently caress

Spoilers for a fifty year-old book:
House may not actually be haunt, narrator is definitely insane.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Spoilers for a fifty year-old book:
House may not actually be haunt, narrator is definitely insane.

Unreliable insane narrator == goony as gently caress

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

prinneh posted:

I was going to post another non goon book, but there are so many in this thread already.

Pick any one of these:

out of these i've only read gatsby, invisible cities, infinite jest, and catch-22

what's the best remaining book?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I'm reading 2666 by roberto bolano and its pretty cool so you should read that too

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Unreliable insane narrator == goony as gently caress

Books == goony as gently caress

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Planarch posted:

out of these i've only read gatsby, invisible cities, infinite jest, and catch-22

If you aggregated scores from people who aren't stupid Ulysses would be the best remaining book and Lolita would be next. Ulysses is genuinely difficult though and if you're not the right kind of person you won't be able to appreciate it without some hand-holding. There aren't any even remotely bad books in that list though so it's more a question of what suits your tastes at the minute.

Das Boo posted:

Books == goony as gently caress

No, just ones with wizards, haunted houses, or computers

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you aggregated scores from people who aren't stupid Ulysses would be the best remaining book and Lolita would be next. Ulysses is genuinely difficult though and if you're not the right kind of person you won't be able to appreciate it without some hand-holding. There aren't any even remotely bad books in that list though so it's more a question of what suits your tastes at the minute.

No, just ones with wizards, haunted houses, or computers

Or middle-aged women who are unreliable narrators?
The Alienist is goonier than Hill House and it's got none of that poo poo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Planarch posted:

War & Peace

It's well written and is easy to read (it's just long as gently caress so most people won't ever read it) and it has one of the gooniest characters in literature.

Also Tolstoy has an amazing ability to "write people" really well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This thread has encouraged me to pick up The Plague again, watch out for some EN posts coming from me in the near future!

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Helical Nightmares posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz
came here to post this :woop:

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I recommend the Bible. It's an amazing book that gives you a lot to think about in your daily life, even if you couldn't care less about God/Jesus/church/religion.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Professor Shark posted:

This thread has encouraged me to pick up The Plague again, watch out for some EN posts coming from me in the near future!

godspeed professor

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
The Very Hungry Caterpillar OP, I read that poo poo all the time

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

praxis posted:

I recommend the Bible. It's an amazing book that gives you a lot to think about in your daily life, even if you couldn't care less about God/Jesus/church/religion.

i recommend the bible as well, u will never get the most out of the canon of western literature without it

also the old testament gets more interesting and digestible if u combine it with some non-religious historical readings about the history of the levant, mesopotamia, and egypt from like early iron age up thru the hasmonean dynasty in judea

it'll help u find the pieces of actual history that really are represented in the OT even if its some hosed up way, like in 2 Kings when it says that THE ANGEL OF THE LORD SMOTE 180,000 ASSYRIAN TROOPS OUTSIDE THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM when what really happened was that Sennacherib's 20k army got a nasty case of camp shits that decimated them and they had to break off the siege but the political result was the same (jerusalem got lucky and didnt get the sacking they were expecting for withholding tribute to assyria)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dead Mountaineer's Inn is an excently Russian detective novel from the bros that did Roadside Picnic

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett

A fun book for cool people.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

i recommend the bible as well, u will never get the most out of the canon of western literature without it

also the old testament gets more interesting and digestible if u combine it with some non-religious historical readings about the history of the levant, mesopotamia, and egypt from like early iron age up thru the hasmonean dynasty in judea

it'll help u find the pieces of actual history that really are represented in the OT even if its some hosed up way, like in 2 Kings when it says that THE ANGEL OF THE LORD SMOTE 180,000 ASSYRIAN TROOPS OUTSIDE THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM when what really happened was that Sennacherib's 20k army got a nasty case of camp shits that decimated them and they had to break off the siege but the political result was the same (jerusalem got lucky and didnt get the sacking they were expecting for withholding tribute to assyria)

I don't like the bible very much and don't feel it's necessary for access to the Western canon. The best part about it is learning weird old biblical words but then you're reading the KJV aka a lovely Version of the bible for scholastic purposes.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't like the bible very much and don't feel it's necessary for access to the Western canon. The best part about it is learning weird old biblical words but then you're reading the KJV aka a lovely Version of the bible for scholastic purposes.

What about that bible with illustrations by robert crumb?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

praxis posted:

Such as _____________________________ ?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Immortan posted:

Such as _____________________________ ?

Forgiveness, redemption, the history of the israelite people, an understanding of the basis of all western literature and thought, the origin of many phrases and themes that are often repeated in our daily lives...

These things are not what goons want, I know.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Nanomashoes posted:

Forgiveness, redemption, the history of the israelite people, an understanding of the basis of all western literature and thought, the origin of many phrases and themes that are often repeated in our daily lives...

These things are not what goons want, I know.

I think you're confusing the Bible with the Koran? Check your privilege.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Immortan posted:

I think you're confusing the Bible with the Koran? Check your privilege.

Islamic literature is also interesting and good. I like Naguib Mahfouz.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Baudolino is a fatnasy book that is not a goon book

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Nanomashoes posted:

Islamic literature is also interesting and good. I like Naguib Mahfouz.

I like Omar Khayyam.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Revelations is cool as gently caress, tbh.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Das Boo posted:

Revelations is cool as gently caress, tbh.

Psalms was good as well.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Immortan posted:

I like Omar Khayyam.

I don't like to read poetry unless I speak the language.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
An Etymology of Latin and Greek, by Charles S. Halsey

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
The Works of Jerry Pournelle,
The Belgarriad series by David Eddings)may be goony),
How to Win Friends and Influence people,
the hand book about how Qi Gong cult is on gutenberg,
48 laws of Power,
Lee jenkin's Orgasm Black Book,
Casca by Barry Saddler,
LIFE Science Library on Matter,
The entire H.L. Mencken collection,
The front page of a website called SomthingAwful.com
Armor by John Steakly,
I enjoyed Anne Rice as a teenager,
A few other unique things like the Anarchist cookbooks,
various Older Science text books that actually explained how to make TNT in full process,
And the History of Hackers.

Should be a good place to start.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't like the bible very much and don't feel it's necessary for access to the Western canon.
ok, here's a infinitesimally short list of poo poo ur going to miss decent chunks out of without understanding the biblical references/inspirations of the authors, starting with the most obvious:

- Inferno
- Paradise Lost
- Moby Dick
- Ulysses
- anything by: Twain, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Tolstoy
- Christ-like comparisons of characters, like Faulkner's Benjy or Dostoevsky's Myshkin
- even foo-foo poo poo like C.S. Lewis books, and the one i recced in the thread, A Canticle For Leibowitz

u dont have to like the bible to understand that its the most pervasive influence throughout almost 2k years of western literature and a defining and inseparable force in the worldview and minds of most of its authors and while u dont need to know it front to back u at least need to be able to look poo poo up and understand it enough to place it in the literary context of whatever ur reading as needed

ps. im an atheist

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Ah, Tao Te Ching. The first half explores the unknowable/contradictory nature of Tao. The second half is a meditation on how to rule, much like Machiavelli's The Prince, or Sun Tzu's Art of War. It's real short (unlike the bible), but will still get you a good distance in important cultural shorthand.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Blue Raider posted:

a confederacy of dunces

probably the only book that i have seen talked about on these forums more than any other place, making it a 'goon book' yet the best book that will be posted in this thread, regardless of how 'goony' someone is, it's just a loving perfectly written story that will make you laugh hundreds, actual hundreds of times

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Notes from Underground is the book with the biggest goon. Confederacy takes #2 or #3 after The Tunnel.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Blood Meridian is unironically the best book written in the English language

i'm reading this right now and its super hosed up

i'm sitting on the train reading about indians sodomising corpses and stuff its crazy

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

i'm reading this right now and its super hosed up

i'm sitting on the train reading about indians sodomising corpses and stuff its crazy

Wait until you read Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy, a book where a white guy sodomizes watermelons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even in the relatively poo poo and hacky world of genre literature, David Eddings is the worst I've ever read.

The Redemption of Althalus is such a loving terrible book about David and his wife Leigh who is a cat who is actually an ancient goddess of immense beauty and wisdom. They're totes in love too.

e: How do you sodomize a watermelon? It doesn't have any of the required orifices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Wait until you read Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy, a book where a white guy sodomizes watermelons.

I like to pretend that McCarthy only wrote a trilogy of Border Crossing books: Blood Meridian, No Country for Old Men, and The Road

The real Border Trilogy books are pretty meh, and the others are blah

I hope his next one is better

• Locked thread