Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gross Dude

Gross Dude
The only difference would be that sometimes when you went outside there would be a dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I could pretend I'm ever getting my 50 euros back from the pterodactyl

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

the dream of the dinosaurs is alive in portland

Macnult

Beaches would close down more often.

Ayatollah Hermione

by Cyrano4747
every once in a while the young turks would cover a story where a member of PETA gets stomped on by an diplodicus and i would smile knowingly at my reflection in the window

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FreshCutFries

when driving through rural areas, all deer crossing signs have been replaced with signs showing a giant foot flattening a car

smoobles

jurassic parks would basically be dog parks w/ several in every city

----------------

Ayatollah Hermione

by Cyrano4747

smoobles posted:

jurassic parks would basically be dog parks w/ several in every city

failure to scoop results in $10,000 citation

----------------

platonicbackrub

wow, I would say, at all these 65 million year old dinosaurs

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

would you eat a dinosaur

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo

Awesome! posted:

would you eat a dinosaur

It would probably be good like alligatir

DeepQantas

Awesome! posted:

would you eat a dinosaur
not a live one

cuntman.net

dinosaurs would hold all the positions of power and we'd be stuck with all the menial jobs

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

very strict leash laws

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

very strict leash laws

very strict leashes

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
instead of a Werner Herzog documentary about a man who lives with dinosaurs and then gets mauled by them, it's a weekly reality show on Fox

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Megalodon week

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
monster films about a radiation creating a giant dinosaur that terrorizes the solar system

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
can dinosaurs cry? found out with the WDNO action news team at 7.

----------------

Ayatollah Hermione

by Cyrano4747
selectively bred purse dinosaurs popular with insufferable socialites

----------------

Lutha Mahtin

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ranchers would domesticate medium size carnivore dinos to protect their livestock from saber tooth tigers

Macnult

I hate how the media portrays velociraptors. My rescued blue talon is adorable would never hurt anyone!

DeepQantas

whenever someone asks you to imagine dinosaurs just start with ostriches. then add teeth and you're p. much done

Ayatollah Hermione

by Cyrano4747

DeepQantas posted:

whenever someone asks you to imagine dinosaurs just start with ostriches. then add teeth and you're p. much done

I keep coming up with Gabrielle Anwar

----------------

cuntman.net

zarin please post in this thread

joke_explainer

Hmm, total speculation here, I don't think anyone really knows for sure...

It would probably be a lot like it was a long time ago, except probably some of the megafauna would not be around due to the reduction in oxygen concentration in the atmosphere. For every additional centimeter of size, your weight is increasing on a cubic scale -- If you have an animal that's say, ten times bigger, that's a thousand times more weight. Galileo wrote about this, talking about how a horse falling a few meters will break bones; A dog falling a few meters couldn't care less about it. Weight requires a great deal of management and scaffolding -- compare an elephant's feet with a human's, or a spider's legs.

You also will have many more miles of equipment to deal with the distribution of oxygen and nutrients to your tissues, require a vastly upsized cardiovascular system, and all that jazz. But hundreds of millions of years ago, oxygen was twice as concentrated in the atmosphere as it is today. Breathing more oxygen per breath meant it was easier for those larger cardiovascular systems to deliver their needs to the tissues, so large sizes could manage to work well.

Eventually as oxygen concentrations went down, those giant animals became less efficient and got outcompeted by smaller ones. The only real super-large sized animals left are whales, that manage to mitigate the effect of gravity through buoyancy providing equal support through their bodies.

So I would think, if dinosaurs were still alive, we'd be looking at many species of them being smaller, and probably becoming more feathered and taking advantage of the mobility smooth feathered limbs could give them. Which means they'd just be birds, like we know them today probably. Though descendants of the bigger guys would also be around, they would also be smaller.

The big problem would be, the ancestors of ours that lived during that time (tiny placental rodents), would never have the opportunity to take advantage of the cleared-out biospheres when most large sauropods died due to the extinction event. So its probably unlikely intelligent life would even be around, as it took, as far as we know, a really narrow set of factors that haven't really been replicated in biological history to result in what we consider 'intelligent life'. So that may mean that this forum wouldn't even exist :ohdear:

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
if dinosaurs were still alive, we'd still be cavepeople level intelligence, we would be too busy playing with the dinosaurs to pursue science and knowledge

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
*caveman being outcast from the village* i loving love science...

----------------

joke_explainer

Qwerinty posted:

if dinosaurs were still alive, we'd still be cavepeople level intelligence, we would be too busy playing with the dinosaurs to pursue science and knowledge

Optimistic! Because the niches placental mammals had to grow in in size to end up being shaped like us were all taken by dinosaurs and things like 'em that died... so our equivalent ancestors would probably still be ferrety rats, just really diverse and specialized ones...

GEExCEE

I came hoping for a joke explainer post and was not disappointed

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

we do have dinosaurs

just look at this loving thing

ulvir

it'd be like my favourite book as a kid, dinotopia.

ulvir

but the thought of big fat terrorbirds being apex predators scares me a bit

canada geese and casowaries are frightening enough as it is, imagine if they were like 3 metres tall

Boaz-Jachim

CANERE CORAM LEONE
it would be scary but dinosaurs might be cool. all their chubby bits are gone so we just draw dinosaurs like they had skin stretched tight over their bones. a lot of apex predators are lazy when not hunting so you could rub a fat t rex's belly

Guillermus

Think about the cleaning services. Think about cleaning a 30kg turd or a flying dinosaur making GBS threads on your car.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Guillermus posted:

Think about the cleaning services. Think about cleaning a 30kg turd or a flying dinosaur making GBS threads on your car.

Or this happening:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

ulvir

Boaz-Jachim posted:

it would be scary but dinosaurs might be cool. all their chubby bits are gone so we just draw dinosaurs like they had skin stretched tight over their bones. a lot of apex predators are lazy when not hunting so you could rub a fat t rex's belly

lol here's a gallery of modern animals sketched in the same way paleoartists draw dinosaurs http://www.buzzfeed.com/natashaumer/dinosaur-animals

Boaz-Jachim

CANERE CORAM LEONE

ulvir posted:

lol here's a gallery of modern animals sketched in the same way paleoartists draw dinosaurs http://www.buzzfeed.com/natashaumer/dinosaur-animals

the pictures in that article come from the end of 'all yesterdays' which is a sweet book about what dinosaurs could look like if they weren't drawn all the same way all the time

includes cute chubby sleeping t rex, worth it

ulvir

gotta make a note of that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao

I own every Jurassic Park piece of memorabilia in existence, so I don't need to wonder, OP.

• Locked thread