Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

SOMA is the latest game from Frictional Games, makers of the Penumbra series and the good Amnesia. Coming to Steam and PS4 (:xbone: apparently) next Tuesday, 9/22. It's 10% off for preorders, if that's your thing, with normal retail being $29.99. I figured it deserved at least a low-effort thread, in case you were busy tying balloons to things and forgot it existed.

Synopsis:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”
- Philip K. Dick

The radio has gone silent on PATHOS-2. As isolation bears
down on the staff of the remote research facility, strange
things are happening.

Machines are taking on human traits and alien constructions
have started to interfere with routine. The world around them
is turning into a nightmare.

The only way out is to do something unimaginable.

There are a bunch of research report style videos that are worth watching if you want more background.

Screenshots:

Trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WO2SxMum20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MN8gw6S4kM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCBd4fmcuWY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WO2SxMum20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Cross post from horror thread.

Some guy (streamcountry) streamed the entirety of the game (post below). I watched part of the second stream from the beginning and it looks like the plot synopsis is spot on (also going by what others said as well). Reportedly 6 hours to 100% the achievements.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soma/comments/3lj8v6/just_watched_this_game_on_a_livestream_save_your/

Looks like the devs killed the thread on the steam forum I had linked.

Relin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 21, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No first impressions?

The game is really interesting. The start is a bit slow but you can see how establishing who you are and how you were a normal guy in a normal, mundane life helps when eventually the (weird) poo poo hits the fan, the contrast is higher and the player is more connected to the protagonist.

Overall the immersion and atmosphere is great, though it's that way looking more at the entire scene, if you look at the individual details, you can see some outdated assets, quality wise. But hey, this isn't an AAA game and the price also isn't the same, it's totally justifiable.
It seems it's going to be less balls-to-the-wall scary than Amnesia, which was a tour-de-force of scariness, and more kind of creepy and disquieting, with the true horror in the implications of the story.

Once you are in the station, it's clear what happened. (SPOILERS FIRST 90 MINUTES?)You are the copy of the neural scan. Someone, who knows why, found the copy and put it in a robot? or some kind of artificial human. In fact the game occurs 90 years after the neural scan, though the slightly retro-scifi look confused me a bit. It's kind of funny, from what you read and hear, the data was captured just for a simulation of a few ms in time, and for a sensible reason, to help the patient, it wasn't a hidden Frankenstein experiment of a crazy doctor. But, they didn't delete the data. And of course, when they did it they didn't think that in the future, with more advanced tech, they could "run" the simulated brain for indefinite periods of time, not just miliseconds.
So the copy was forgotten for so many decades until someone put it in a hardware.

The lore is interesting, just reading and investigating a bit you can learn that the "seat" where you awake wasn't really used for medical stuff, it seems people sit there and controlled remotely (or did they download themselves to?) to "suits" in other words robots to do their normal work. It's a future where AI/manipulation of concious self is doable, and even common.

It also seems one year before poo poo hit the fan in the station, and they had to close it down. There is a mention of "psychotic" robots in there, and in fact I've met the first one, which clearly believes he is human, and somehow can't see how obviously he isn't (even if we are in the future, the robots aren't exactly very advanced). I suppose the idea is that the work was done by mental remote control, and something happened and some people got trapped in the robots. Maybe.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 22, 2015

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I didn't even know there was a thread for the game. I'll cross-post my thoughts from the horror games thread.

Finished SOMA. I really liked it a lot. As you would expect, it is Amnesia/Silent Hill atmosphere-type horror, no jump scares, little "action" in the conventional video game sense of the word. My only semi-complaint about the game is I found Simon's voice to be a mixed bag. In one sense, he's an underdeveloped character who has a backstory and is otherwise kinda blank-slatey personality wise. This makes sense since its more immersive to give the player Simon's voice through their actions but the problem is, especially at the beginning of the game, that when Simon does talk, he doesn't really ask things or act in a way that I would in the situation. This is somewhat obnoxious, it forces you to recognize Simon as a character you are controlling, but then you go back to the original point that Simon is mostly a blank slate and not particularly interesting. Anyways, as I said, the game is great. If you are looking purely for youtube-style scream at your screen at jump scares and scripted chase sequences, look elsewhere. If you want an atmospheric romp through a spooky ocean laboratory thing with a surprisingly developed plot, then this is the game for you.

Spoiler thoughts on the plot: I rather liked the whole ship of theseus/meaning of identity theme running throughout the game. The game come perilously close to talking too much about it in conversations and stuff, but ultimately that discussion is limited and paced enough before it gets too eye-rolly for the player. Still, the game is maybe a little over-talkative about its themes instead of just letting them speak for themselves without having characters muse about what is means to be alive/human.

The ending was pretty much the only way the game could have ended. I actually got annoyed with Simon at the end for accusing Catherine of lying to him and acting all surprised what happened. I understood for hours at that point what would happen when the ARK was launched and I have no idea why Simon acts all confused about it, it was kinda obnoxious that he was so dumb. Like, its not that hard a concept to understand. Copying yourself into an AI simulation isn't going to magically kill the person it was copied from. There was always going to be a version of Simon living on the ARK and a version that remains stuck in the apocalyptic hellhole. I mean yeah it loving sucks and all and I would probably commit suicide in that situation, but there's just no reason to act all "betrayed" by it, it was always going to happen if you even though about what you were doing for a second. I mean the Simon on the bottom of the ocean is literally the same thing as the ARK version, he is a digital copy and the "original" Simon in Toronto didn't cease to exist once the Simon on Pathos was uploaded and stored. Simon literally went through the same thing when he switched bodies as well, how does he not understand this concept by now? The point of the ARK was akin to a parent sacrificing themselves to secure a better future for a child, the Simon on Pathos never had hope to do anything, the world he inhabits is already dead, the whole point was to make a better future for an alternative self, like a parent would for a child. This kinda gets to my original complaint about how its obnoxious to have Simon not be a particularly be a strong character with a strong and unique voice, but then he acts in a way that breaks any sort of faux-immersion that Simon's voice is you as the player. I'm not sure if frictional games think the idea of having multiple consciousnesses is complicated or something and that the normal player will not feel "betrayed" like Simon does, but the concept really isn't complicated and what happened should be apparent to anyone who thought about what they were doing.

One thing I really liked was that WAU wasn't an AI program that became self-aware and then tried to destroy humanity like Terminator or whatever dumb cliche. Having WAU's intentions to "save" the remnants of humanity (I imagine it realized the humanity remnants would eventually just starve to death and then humanity would become officially gone) by turning them into Lovecraft-type abominations and forcing them to stay alive forever in comatose/vegetable states or in machines has a twisted sort of logic to it that's neat and better than the typical Hollywood AI-is-evil for no reason bullshit.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The themes and environments are really cool. I love the premise.
There are three things that really suck and drag it down.
The enemies, they patrol and you are encouraged not to look at them. It really destroys the immersion and pace when you need to stare at a wall for a minute and just wait for them to pass.
The puzzles which just don't add anything and deflate the scenes.
Looking around for four digit key codes is just meaningless filler.
The game can get kind of choppy sometimes for no reason but its not a very twitchy game so its not really a bother.

So in closing, Soma is basically System Shock 2 put underwater like BioShock and given Gone Homes combat plus needless patrolling enemies and puzzles.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You people already finished the game? drat you are fast.

There is an interesting balance they stuck with the MC. He is between the typical silent protagonist and a talkative one. I think they wanted one who could talk, but maybe he was too overbearing except in a few areas he stays silent normally. But it's a bit strange because if he can talk, he should have used much much more "What the gently caress" "where the hell am I?" "poo poo" "shitshitshit" "gently caress me", etc during the first minutes in the base, because his situation is really mindblowing. Instead he seems incredibly calm to me!

It was funny when (flashlight)
he used the flashlight for the first time, even when he still thinks of himself as human, and wonder where the magic flashlight came from (even if he didn't have any on his hands). Like /facepalm, but I understand he is partly in a state of schizophrenia, with a few minutes before seeing himself as fully human.

But somehow I can't care a lot for his problems, given the situation
of the humankind gone to ashes because a comet erased most of life in the planet. Once you establish that, I don't have a lot of room for an individual drama.

This game is also incredibly nonchalant with what in theory should be revelations or twists for the protagonist. (spoilers after lambda)

You are in the future!! Your true life is already over, everyone you knew is dead!
"Ok."
You are in a robot body!
"ok".
Humanity went extinct!
"ok".
We have a wild plan to send a satellite with a virtual world full of AI that are copies of humans to the space!!
"ok". "Can we, like, upload ourselves there too? It isn't like we have anything better to do".

Dude, wtf.

Gameplay wise, I'm detesting the on screen effect when you look at monsters. It's much stronger than in Amnesia. Now that I think about it, the game is actually less... video game than Amnesia, which had a journal, an inventory, you had to use consumables to recover sanity, health or light for the lantern, there were more stealth and more puzzles.
For now I had two or three stealth moments and a pair of small puzzles, but overall most of the time I've been walking, looking around, opening things and hearing conversations/audiologs. It feels more like a horror scifi Gone Home, more a 'walking simulator' than Amnesia.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
It's somewhere between Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs on the "game" scale. Even if the puzzles aren't exactly brainbusters, they are at least more complex than just "find the one switch that works, use it" half-attempts that Pigs had.

I'm also not really digging the screen effects. Digital artifacting agrees with me better than blur-vision, but only just. I'm a fan of weird monster designs, so I'm always a little upset when a game obscures them. I understand why they do it, but I can't wait until someone rips the monster models from the game so I can get a good look.

I wasn't happy about it at first, but now that I'm away from the game and have time to reflect, I'm glad that they tipped their hand so early with the twists. I feel like the game would have been really weak if it waited until almost the end of the game to tell you everything you already figured out ten minutes in. It respects the player's intelligence enough to say "okay, here's the deal, now let's show you some real poo poo" and I can get behind that.

I'm still not sure how I would scale it against other horror games. It so far isn't making as much of an impression as Dark Descent did the first time around, but I don't know how much the horror ramps up. I just got into Theta before I had to go to work, and things are starting to edge from "well this sucks" to "oh, gently caress this," whereas Dark Descent was in the latter state from the beginning.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished the game and loved it, though I disliked the hiding from monsters, especially when you're in an area where you want to take your time to read logs on a terminal and the monster rudely interrupts you every two seconds. The atmosphere is top notch, though.

Turin Turambar posted:

This game is also incredibly nonchalant with what in theory should be revelations or twists for the protagonist. (spoilers after lambda)

You are in the future!! Your true life is already over, everyone you knew is dead!
"Ok."
You are in a robot body!
"ok".
Humanity went extinct!
"ok".
We have a wild plan to send a satellite with a virtual world full of AI that are copies of humans to the space!!
"ok". "Can we, like, upload ourselves there too? It isn't like we have anything better to do".

Dude, wtf.

I actually liked that part. I feared that they would have "you are a ROBOT" as a huge final act twist, but instead it's heavily implied from the start, then flat out stated as fact early in the game.

When it comes to the end of the game, I feel like they missed an opportunity to mindfuck the players a bit - instead of having the ARK sequence after the credits (you did watch the credits, right?) they should have made which ending you got a 50/50 chance, further hammering in the point that which "you" is left is basically a coins toss.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
e: nm

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is anyone else having random crashes? I've crashed probably 6 times at completely random intervals in my playthrough so far. Which is extremely annoying since checkpoints are at the start of areas so I have to just redo 10-20mins of stuff everytime it happens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know what's up with the inventory on ps4? Touch pad seems to do nothing but it's supposedly inventory?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You don't have an inventory worth speaking of, most of the time it's just the omni-tool, so pressing the touch pad just makes its tiny icon appear at the bottom.

This game crashed at least once for me during one of its hidden loading times.

Another thing I like: there are minor choices you can make. They don't affect any great outcome but are just a matter of your personal taste. Do you turn on the wires near robo-Carl to get out of Upsilon, which hurts him badly, or cut the power to that area completely, which probably kills him? I found out that the second person you meet like this, Amy, the lady hooked up to a life-support-biomechanism draining power from the Tram, can survive if you just pull out one of the two wires, just enough to keep her alive and the tram functioning...but which is crueler, killing her or leaving her like that?

It's all a matter of personal taste and there's no easy answers.

Edit: this game starts getting Really Creepy once you hit Omikron. Wow.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 23, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^Cool. I misunderstood their definition of inventory.

Anyone else get super lost trying to get to Lambda? I swear I have walked in a giant circle 4 times now. Found the Lambda sign too but nothing to interact with.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I love watching these kinds of games, hate playing them - Anyone got a recommendation for a not-pewdiepie/markiplier-esque Streamer/Youtuber who plays the games properly and is fun to watch?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What an ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So It Goes posted:

I didn't even know there was a thread for the game. I'll cross-post my thoughts from the horror games thread.

Finished SOMA. I really liked it a lot. As you would expect, it is Amnesia/Silent Hill atmosphere-type horror, no jump scares, little "action" in the conventional video game sense of the word. My only semi-complaint about the game is I found Simon's voice to be a mixed bag. In one sense, he's an underdeveloped character who has a backstory and is otherwise kinda blank-slatey personality wise. This makes sense since its more immersive to give the player Simon's voice through their actions but the problem is, especially at the beginning of the game, that when Simon does talk, he doesn't really ask things or act in a way that I would in the situation. This is somewhat obnoxious, it forces you to recognize Simon as a character you are controlling, but then you go back to the original point that Simon is mostly a blank slate and not particularly interesting. Anyways, as I said, the game is great. If you are looking purely for youtube-style scream at your screen at jump scares and scripted chase sequences, look elsewhere. If you want an atmospheric romp through a spooky ocean laboratory thing with a surprisingly developed plot, then this is the game for you.

Spoiler thoughts on the plot: I rather liked the whole ship of theseus/meaning of identity theme running throughout the game. The game come perilously close to talking too much about it in conversations and stuff, but ultimately that discussion is limited and paced enough before it gets too eye-rolly for the player. Still, the game is maybe a little over-talkative about its themes instead of just letting them speak for themselves without having characters muse about what is means to be alive/human.

The ending was pretty much the only way the game could have ended. I actually got annoyed with Simon at the end for accusing Catherine of lying to him and acting all surprised what happened. I understood for hours at that point what would happen when the ARK was launched and I have no idea why Simon acts all confused about it, it was kinda obnoxious that he was so dumb. Like, its not that hard a concept to understand. Copying yourself into an AI simulation isn't going to magically kill the person it was copied from. There was always going to be a version of Simon living on the ARK and a version that remains stuck in the apocalyptic hellhole. I mean yeah it loving sucks and all and I would probably commit suicide in that situation, but there's just no reason to act all "betrayed" by it, it was always going to happen if you even though about what you were doing for a second. I mean the Simon on the bottom of the ocean is literally the same thing as the ARK version, he is a digital copy and the "original" Simon in Toronto didn't cease to exist once the Simon on Pathos was uploaded and stored. Simon literally went through the same thing when he switched bodies as well, how does he not understand this concept by now? The point of the ARK was akin to a parent sacrificing themselves to secure a better future for a child, the Simon on Pathos never had hope to do anything, the world he inhabits is already dead, the whole point was to make a better future for an alternative self, like a parent would for a child. This kinda gets to my original complaint about how its obnoxious to have Simon not be a particularly be a strong character with a strong and unique voice, but then he acts in a way that breaks any sort of faux-immersion that Simon's voice is you as the player. I'm not sure if frictional games think the idea of having multiple consciousnesses is complicated or something and that the normal player will not feel "betrayed" like Simon does, but the concept really isn't complicated and what happened should be apparent to anyone who thought about what they were doing.

One thing I really liked was that WAU wasn't an AI program that became self-aware and then tried to destroy humanity like Terminator or whatever dumb cliche. Having WAU's intentions to "save" the remnants of humanity (I imagine it realized the humanity remnants would eventually just starve to death and then humanity would become officially gone) by turning them into Lovecraft-type abominations and forcing them to stay alive forever in comatose/vegetable states or in machines has a twisted sort of logic to it that's neat and better than the typical Hollywood AI-is-evil for no reason bullshit.

I think Simon's whole rant at the end is more because deep down he knew, but he just didn't want to accept it. He held out hope that HE would luckily be the one to "jump" from his perspective, and the sinking feeling of him being forced to face the fact that no, he's not going to actually be saved and he's doomed for the rest of his existence to chill at the bottom of the sea just breaks him. I thought it was perfectly understandable that he completely loses it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I love watching these kinds of games, hate playing them - Anyone got a recommendation for a not-pewdiepie/markiplier-esque Streamer/Youtuber who plays the games properly and is fun to watch?

Christopher Odd is the anti-Markiplier, he's very chill and is doing SOMA right now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Speedball posted:

Christopher Odd is the anti-Markiplier, he's very chill and is doing SOMA right now.

Looks good, going to get stuck in tonight, Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXba48MAx7I

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One neat thing: plenty of good environmental cues from people if you look hard enough. Amy, for example, at Upsilon, was an obsessive sketch artist and had tons of illustrations of stuff. You find most by her campout spot but a few in a few other places she's been.

Love stuff like that. It's not necessarily Gone Home levels of attention to detail due to linearity but, hey.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

The themes and environments are really cool. I love the premise.
There are three things that really suck and drag it down.
The enemies, they patrol and you are encouraged not to look at them. It really destroys the immersion and pace when you need to stare at a wall for a minute and just wait for them to pass.

So in closing, Soma is basically System Shock 2 put underwater like BioShock and given Gone Homes combat plus needless patrolling enemies and puzzles.

I have to agree with the enemies, I really do not like them. They don't really add any tension and are more tedious than anything else. So far every time an enemy has appeared I've wished the game just didn't have them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The worst enemies I found were the Shambling barnacle ridden armless dudes in the latter half. I noticed that their AI pattern was extremely erratic and I sometimes had to wait like a solid two minutes for them to stop moving halfway through a hallway only to turn around and repeat. The other encounters seemed to have more predictable pathing, but this just made those sections a huge unfun waiting game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Interesting thing I noticed about leaving Upsilon, checking out some other streams of the game. Regarding Carl: If you cut power and kill Carl, but don't check on him, Simon doesn't mention him when radioing Catherine in the dome. If you do, THEN he does. Interesting attention to detail. And if you do kill Carl, Catherine remarks, "welp, don't worry, robots don't have feelings." YOU HYPOCRITE!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I probably missed a datalog or something, but there's still a few things I don't quite understand. The gently caress was the spooky skeleton guy's deal? I don't understand exactly what or who he was. I thought he was a hallucination for a while but Catherine says she saw him when you encounter him on the elevator. And why exctly do WAU infected organisms attack people? I thought the WAU was genuinely trying to help people in its own twisted way, but killing them doesn't really seem like a good plan, a datalog mentions that it did this stuff with animals too and when used on a rat it would kill the uninfected rats in the pen.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 23, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I probably missed a datalog or something, but there's still a few things I don't quite understand. The gently caress was the spooky skeleton guy's deal? I don't understand exactly what or who he was. I thought he was a hallucination for a while but Catherine says she saw him when you encounter him on the elevator. And why exctly do WAU infected organisms attack people? I thought the WAU was genuinely trying to help people in its own twisted way, but killing them doesn't really seem like a good plan, a datalog mentions that it did this stuff with animals too and when used on a rat it would kill the uninfected rats in the pen.

The WAU is using the infested organisms to protect itself because its core is way down in that trench. While it's trying to protect humanity in general it has a self-preservation directive too, apparently. The spooky skeleton guy was Dr. Ross, and he was one of the first guys who twigged to the WAU's plan, but he also died. He also was one of the first to be ressurected as a bionic zombie and seemed to have more of his mind than most; unlike the Proxy organisms he's not working for the WAU. He tried to create poison Gel in a canister at Omikron, but before he could tell everyone else his plan their heads all exploded (the WAU protecting itself again).

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again
11 hours to play through the whole game in a pretty expedient manner.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm in the second part of Theta, some speculation of what's happening

it seems the WAU learns about the ARK project, liked it (as it's in theory the "guardian" of the base, with mission of preserving the crew), and it's doing the same in its own twisted way, capturing the remaining humans and linking them up in its neural network. Or at least that's what I imagine are all the messed up humans connected to tentacles are. But that isn't the best solution (people wishing for death, psychotic beings), I think the WAU noticed, because it did a new project: yourself. A mix of a base human, the robotic suit and a neural chip with a AI sim. That's my guess.

WAU is kind of a mix between Shodan (AI of a big complex going cray cray) and the Many, with the organic design, the cancerous growth and the mission to connect everyone.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I read that Depth was supposed to come out on the same day. Has anyone heard anything about where/how to actually watch it?

e: oh nvm it was a hoax :(: I would have totally watched the poo poo out of it though.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 23, 2015

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think Simon's whole rant at the end is more because deep down he knew, but he just didn't want to accept it. He held out hope that HE would luckily be the one to "jump" from his perspective, and the sinking feeling of him being forced to face the fact that no, he's not going to actually be saved and he's doomed for the rest of his existence to chill at the bottom of the sea just breaks him. I thought it was perfectly understandable that he completely loses it.

It's one thing to lose your mind or be angry at the lovely situation your are in. Its another to present what happened as a "twist" or an act of "betrayal" by Catherine, which only shows that Simon is an idiot who never once actually thought about what he was doing. He was never lied to, he is just an idiot and slightly obnoxious.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

So It Goes posted:

It's one thing to lose your mind or be angry at the lovely situation your are in. Its another to present what happened as a "twist" or an act of "betrayal" by Catherine, which only shows that Simon is an idiot who never once actually thought about what he was doing. He was never lied to, he is just an idiot and slightly obnoxious.

His brain scan is pretty primitive, let's just attribute his stupidity to that.

I don't get WAU's motives - it's pretty obvious that it is the only entity capable of creating "you", but at the same time, if the monsters are agents of WAU why are they attacking you instead of helping you? If they are independent, why isn't WAU protecting you against them? I assume that WAU wants the ARK launched into space, if not there's no reason to create you at all.

Also, who gave you the access codes in the Theta complex? Was it WAU or the spooky skepeton dude? Spooky skeleton dude in general seems to be almost supernatural in an otherwise pretty grounded sci-fi setting, and it is a bit jarring.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'll probably get this later this week, but I'm assuming then from what I've read that this is a clear improvement over A Machine for Pigs? Because I thought Machine was loving awful and not scary at all compared to how engaging Dark Descent was. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

I'll probably get this later this week, but I'm assuming then from what I've read that this is a clear improvement over A Machine for Pigs? Because I thought Machine was loving awful and not scary at all compared to how engaging Dark Descent was. :(

Machine was made by a different developer commissioned by Frictional.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
That being said, the atmosphere is probably closer to Machine than the original Amnesia.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Machine was made by a different developer commissioned by Frictional.

Oh wow, really? loving hell I guess that explains it, never mind then. :downs:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's not really a very scary game but it certainly has some extremely tense moments. Also, I came to it for the story and it's loving great. Especially if you like older sci-fi.
Also, it's weird playing this and System Shock 1 at the same time since they are completely different games yet very similar in themes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
basically what SOMA is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18m95OSKD-c

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah! Not a lot of outright hallucinations in this game. I kind of wish there were.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ymgve posted:

His brain scan is pretty primitive, let's just attribute his stupidity to that.

I don't get WAU's motives - it's pretty obvious that it is the only entity capable of creating "you", but at the same time, if the monsters are agents of WAU why are they attacking you instead of helping you? If they are independent, why isn't WAU protecting you against them? I assume that WAU wants the ARK launched into space, if not there's no reason to create you at all.

Also, who gave you the access codes in the Theta complex? Was it WAU or the spooky skepeton dude? Spooky skeleton dude in general seems to be almost supernatural in an otherwise pretty grounded sci-fi setting, and it is a bit jarring.

For the first one: The Wau is trying to preserve human life but it has bizarre priorities as to what constitutes life...it may not even have decided itself. So it does a bit of everything: keep people alive by forcing their bodies to function, keep their minds alive by cramming them into delusional robots... and the monsters in this game are apparently "Proxies" that act as its direct agents, particularly the tumor-on-legs one. Note that the tumor-on-legs one appears in areas full of humans who have been mashed into walls and are still breathing but not conscious and at one point it actually gets you, but you wake up in a pile of meat moss; it's NOT trying to kill you, just... do what it does.

There's also a bit of "right hand versus left hand" going on because not every entity in the game is under the direct control of the WAU and it doesn't seem to have the ability to focus its attention on you specifically. Ross was revived by the Wau as a teleporting super-cyber-zombie and he's the one coming up with the plan to kill it. The one giving you the codes to Theta might have been the WAU luring you there, though, since it's a giant nest... but it might have been Ross trying to get you to come closer to where he is, since Ross sends you a bunch of subliminal "we have to kill it" messages through the terminals in Omicron.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I'm only about two hours in, but so far I'm enjoying it. The environments and setting are really neat, although I'm not really feeling the "horror" vibe of it. The main character and radio-lady-buddy both just sound sort of... bemused and jovial most of the time. The voice acting seems like it belongs in an Uncharted game. Glad to hear it apparently gets creepier later, I was looking forward to a spooky game and this hasn't really scratched that itch as of yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Speedball posted:

For the first one: The Wau is trying to preserve human life but it has bizarre priorities as to what constitutes life...it may not even have decided itself. So it does a bit of everything: keep people alive by forcing their bodies to function, keep their minds alive by cramming them into delusional robots... and the monsters in this game are apparently "Proxies" that act as its direct agents, particularly the tumor-on-legs one. Note that the tumor-on-legs one appears in areas full of humans who have been mashed into walls and are still breathing but not conscious and at one point it actually gets you, but you wake up in a pile of meat moss; it's NOT trying to kill you, just... do what it does.

There's also a bit of "right hand versus left hand" going on because not every entity in the game is under the direct control of the WAU and it doesn't seem to have the ability to focus its attention on you specifically. Ross was revived by the Wau as a teleporting super-cyber-zombie and he's the one coming up with the plan to kill it. The one giving you the codes to Theta might have been the WAU luring you there, though, since it's a giant nest... but it might have been Ross trying to get you to come closer to where he is, since Ross sends you a bunch of subliminal "we have to kill it" messages through the terminals in Omicron.

Somewhere in the game it is mentioned that the WAU is not really sentient per se, so i don't think it is consciously doing all the things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oasx posted:

Somewhere in the game it is mentioned that the WAU is not really sentient per se, so i don't think it is consciously doing all the things

Yeah, it's kind of Lovecraftian in that the efforts of individual humans seem insignificant to it and it's a totally alien intelligence. Tellingly, the WAU never directly speaks.

• Locked thread