Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squad is a tactical FPS and it is loving great. It is currently in early-access alpha ($70) but will be available for $30 when it releases (Scheduled for 12/2015).

Squads in Squad have a limited number of roles and are limited to 10 people total, wherein each role gets some weapon load-out. (Grenadier, Medic, LMG, etc). Servers hold 100 players max, but game could easily work with probably as low as 16~ people on some maps.

Squads can build FOBs (forward operating base[s]) which are basically spawn points with resupply crates and fortifications. A FOB requires the squad leader plus 2 people in close proximity to build and must be at least 400 meters apart from each other. They can be placed anywhere on the map, including in compounds. It is common to find them on hilltops or in compounds which are then fortified. Once a FOB is up the entire team can spawn on it on a spawn timer, until it is overrun/destroyed.

The game has built in VoIP (which works and sounds great). Squad members can radio their squad, or speak locally to anyone standing nearby via different key binds. Squad leaders can speak on a squad-leader channel which allows squads to coordinate.

Game-mode in Alpha is basically similar to Battlefield conquest where the objective is to get more people to stand in a capture zone than the other team. Most of the maps right now are one objective in contention at any given time, although there are some with multiple. Generally the flow of the game revolves around capturing these points and eliminating enemy FOBs when located in order to stop the enemy from spawning. Progress is tracked via tickets, re-spawns cost tickets, and not holding points also loses tickets on a tick timer.

Vehicles are planned but are not currently in Alpha.

More details:

http://joinsquad.com/faq
http://joinsquad.com/about

Dev Log Pictures:

Tutorials :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8lccr0u6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQbPfGVrII

Gameplay Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgJ5UubU1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1bQGuB_TK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_eOj-_7PLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiQPiAQMlZo

soy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Play With Goons:

Join the Steam Group

Use the group chat.

soy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 17, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Do they have the thing from PR where if you drive the tank without being in the tank squad or the APC without being in the APC squad that they get super mad even if an empty APC is sitting around?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tanks are not implemented yet but supposedly will be soon. Hopefully they do them right, I am not sure how the physics etc are in this engine... I'm hoping for something slightly less bullshit than red orchestra 2 but still useful.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Where does the RO comparison even come from? This is just a stand-alone Project Reality, which is amazing.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SERPUS posted:

Where does the RO comparison even come from? This is just a stand-alone Project Reality, which is amazing.

PR is probably a better comparison but I have more playtime in RO 1 & 2 so thats what popped into mind. If a mod cares to change the op title, I won't mind. Just wanted to draw some attention to the game.

The solid unreal netcode, ironsights and 1 hit kills are what remind me of RO

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm tentatively stoked for this game. Reminds me of insurgency + BF, which owns. I really like Insurgency but always wished the scale of it would be a bit larger, so this should be right on point

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

soy posted:

PR is probably a better comparison but I have more playtime in RO 1 & 2 so thats what popped into mind. If a mod cares to change the op title, I won't mind. Just wanted to draw some attention to the game.

The solid unreal netcode, ironsights and 1 hit kills are what remind me of RO

Yeah, the title is disingenuous because PR goes out of its way specifically to NOT be like ARMA/RO. It's basically Battlefield perfected, the best mix of arcade vs realism. ARMA is absolute dogshit in comparison and RO is a little more slower paced and less teamwork oriented than PR. Actually PR is not even a better comparison, this game is literally, 100% a PR remake. As in, it's the same developers and same community making the same game in an updated engine :v:

This game is going to be amazing. They're basically just refining everything about PR that had hard limits, and the base construction stuff is a lot more in-depth. Hopefully they can accurately recreate BF2's/PR's vehicle physics, because they are some of the most rewarding in any game. Helicopters/jets have a shitload of momentum, offroad vehicles actually feel like offroad vehicles, tanks and tracked vehicles can climb poo poo like mountain goats, etc. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with PR that they should try to replicate, because there's a reason hundreds of people still play that game nearly a decade later.

Sometimes I wish they'd re-implement being able to hear enemy local voice chat, but maybe with a scrambler or something so you can't understand them. Then some enterprising people would have to find the simlish phrase that scrambles into "allahu akbar"

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 20, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I thought the netcode in RO2 was okay at best but I found the game too floaty?

Orv
May 4, 2011
PR not on the jankass BF2 engine and maybe with a less spergy community I would pay for in a heartbeat.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

I thought the netcode in RO2 was okay at best but I found the game too floaty?

Yeah RO2 had horrible netcode, one of the only reasons it didn't do very well besides fairly lovely maps.

RO1 had much more solid netcode.

Alarming, since RO1 is on the older generation unreal engine and Squad will be on the newer generation along with RO2.

Hopefully enough time has passed where they can get their poo poo together on that because the one thing that will kill an fps is inconsistent netcode.

Although CS:GO is proof that a game can survive lovely netcode as long as it never changes so everyone learns how to play around it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could enjoy games like this, but I can't stand battlefield because it's basically being shot in the head from 200 meters away: the game. So if someone offered to make it even more prone to that, well, I can't say I get it.

I like ARMA 3 but that's mostly because I spend all my time in vehicles and never playing against other players. I don't really get how to enjoy actual competitive FPS games with those mechanics.

I wish they'd make some kind of game where I just taxi people in and out of various interesting environments in a helicopter all day while being shot at.

Orv
May 4, 2011
ArmA 3 KOTH is that if you want it, or the vs AI servers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually play invade and annex but I would like more helicopters and more interesting terrain.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

I wish I could enjoy games like this, but I can't stand battlefield because it's basically being shot in the head from 200 meters away: the game. So if someone offered to make it even more prone to that, well, I can't say I get it.

I like ARMA 3 but that's mostly because I spend all my time in vehicles and never playing against other players. I don't really get how to enjoy actual competitive FPS games with those mechanics.

I wish they'd make some kind of game where I just taxi people in and out of various interesting environments in a helicopter all day while being shot at.

Buy Insurgency, my friend.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
I bought the Squad Leader tier in order to get into the alpha after watching 4 hours of gameplay. Thanks for that OP.

Arma always seemed just a bit too clunky to me, the controls so complicated you'd think I was piloting a rover on mars. Insurgency is one of my favorite hardcore shooters in recent years but the map design encourages corner camping more than good tactics. RO2 / Rising Storm was a lot of fun and honestly the small player base is the only reason I don't play it now (and the horrible netcode). I never played PR, but I absolutely love the sound of the base-building, logistics, spawn mechanics and medic system.

I think I might be in love. Their way of making a "realistic" game without over-complicating the moment to moment gameplay is perfect, and will attract a lot more people than Arma's approach imo. And I personally find it more fun.

I doubt any of my friends will play this game but I'm ready to sink a few thousand hours into it. Look out for Death by Chickens or dbc once the next phase of alpha starts.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Death by Chickens posted:

I bought the Squad Leader tier in order to get into the alpha after watching 4 hours of gameplay. Thanks for that OP.

Did the same. I think we should get invites in the next week or so, looking forward to it.

I echo your sentiment about ARMA. I've put in around 300~ hours on all the ARMA games and mods combined and yeah, the engine is kinda atrocious. I could tolerate it when I had a lot of free time but these days, spending 30~ minutes to just get situated in a game at all is not doable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

soy posted:

Although CS:GO is proof that a game can survive lovely netcode as long as it never changes so everyone learns how to play around it.

Umm,

CS:GO uses the Source Engine. This is ran on CS, Dota 2, TF2 and plenty of other major titles. When it comes to in-game latency and jitter it's nearly perfect.

Mans posted:

Buy Insurgency, my friend.

This is exactly what I've desired all my life :allears:

From the videos, are they using the dynamic stance mode? Example, you use the mousewheel to change your position.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

CS:GO uses the Source Engine. This is ran on CS, Dota 2, TF2 and plenty of other major titles. When it comes to in-game latency and jitter it's nearly perfect.

Agree to disagree, won't go into too much detail since you can just google this as it's been discussed to death.

ref: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Orv
May 4, 2011
Squad Leaders get in next week apparently, as early as Sunday, so you guys should tell us about it.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
I bought the Ranger pack together with my brother for two Pre-Alpha (and everything that follows) access keys.

The game's great - as an old PR, OFP>Arma 3 and RO 1+2 player, I can definitely vouch for it.
It's in a perfect sweet spot between all of them, but still has a unique feel to it. It's still definitely the most related to PR (for obvious reasons!).
The Pre-Alpha is very bare bones, but the gameplay is great. I'm currently on a PC that can't run it (no dedicated graphics), so won't be able to play again until November, but very much looking forward to see what has been implemented at that point. Personally, I'm hoping for more maps, vehicles and finally ramping up to support for 100 players.

The game's pretty much guaranteed to be one of my most played games of next year, I'd say. The gunplay is excellent, a great middleway between RO2 and Arma 3. Sound design is excellent, and there's already a lot of base building implemented.

Definitely keep an eye out for early access - you haven't missed that much if you missed out on the Pre-Alpha, though, so sit tight!

gimpfarfar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 22, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Too early to say how long-distance MP is?
PR was like, pretty crap when trying to play it from Australia. Insurgency and BF3/4 actually plays pretty decently enough so I'll be happy if it's more towards that side.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croccers posted:

Too early to say how long-distance MP is?
PR was like, pretty crap when trying to play it from Australia. Insurgency and BF3/4 actually plays pretty decently enough so I'll be happy if it's more towards that side.

Do you mean how far away you can resolve other players and shoot at them? From watching game-play videos, I'd say it's pretty loving long distance.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone mention that Project Reality on BF2 is now stand alone and free? You just download it off the Project Reality website; does not require BF2 or a BF2 cdkey.

The insurgency mode is one of my favorite asymmetrical game modes implemented in an FSP. Managing to shoot down a helo from your technical or catch a bluefor convoy with a dump truck full of bombs is pretty intense. Constructing trash heap tire fire roadblocks is pretty chill too.

Also one if the only FPSs where you need to read the manual.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, if you are interested in this, get PR. It's free and will give you an idea of what they are trying to implement. PR is drat near perfect in my opinion. Sure it has jankiness but it's part of the charm.

Also, ARMA is a blight on the gaming industry and Squad should avoid emulating it with a mile long pole. I can't believe I paid money for that piece of poo poo.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

can't believe I paid money for that piece of poo poo.

Same, except like 4 times for various versions. Thankfully I was smart enough to buy my CD keys on gray market so at least I didn't pay full price.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

Also, ARMA is a blight on the gaming industry

wut

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you were seventy USD of stupid codes should be in whatever email you paid with.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

So it's an fps without the production values of battlefield that's less detailed than arma and can best be compared to a decade old half life mod?

Why would you play this.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimlit posted:

So it's an fps without the production values of battlefield that's less detailed than arma and can best be compared to a decade old half life mod?

Why would you play this.

because gently caress you that's why

got my poo poo, aw yiss

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Been playing the pre-alpha for about a month and it's been brilliant so far. The firefights are intense and the inclusion of directional VoIP makes it all the sweeter.

This couldn't have come at a better time as I tried to play pr again recently and that game is reaching the point where it's age is showing horribly. I could barely put up with that bf2 jankyness in 2010.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The description sounded interesting, so I've been watching the youtube videos on my lunch break. It's certainly got the most authentic combat chatter. :v:

"Three, four... five... Oh god, there's a fuckload of them all around us!"

Looks interesting so far, I'll have to look further into it when I get home.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimlit posted:

Why would you play this.

In asked order; Who cares, it has all the possibility of ArmA's team coordination and play without all of the lovely fiddly bits and not really.

A somewhat more useful answer would be videos like this. They accomplished an absolute ton with the old BF2 engine, and if they can update those principles, and maybe get some new toys and fresh blood, it'd be really cool. They've already got dynamic base building in, and the shooting mechanics seem acceptable for this point. This poo poo is only ever going to be pretty niche, but there's a ton of people still playing PR after all these years, and god knows it'd be nice to be on something sort of modern, and not utterly bogged down by the ArmA engine and systems.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Seems pretty interesting, and the close attention to detail is promising (Like when the dude puts away a Makarov it engages the safety which also decocks the hammer, which a real one will do when put on safe). Here's to hoping it ends up having a half-decent community instead of dying the same death most MP games do.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Orv posted:

This poo poo is only ever going to be pretty niche, but there's a ton of people still playing PR after all these years

Well, if it's even remotely moddable, then I bet it could gain a pretty substantial following. ARMA 3 is played by a pretty substantial number of people, and I bet most of them are playing mods that are going for something other than milsperg stuff.

Even just improving the movement from ARMA is a huge step up. I don't know why anyone thinks ARMA movement is in any capacity realistic.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Orv posted:

In asked order; Who cares, it has all the possibility of ArmA's team coordination and play without all of the lovely fiddly bits and not really.

A somewhat more useful answer would be videos like this. They accomplished an absolute ton with the old BF2 engine, and if they can update those principles, and maybe get some new toys and fresh blood, it'd be really cool. They've already got dynamic base building in, and the shooting mechanics seem acceptable for this point. This poo poo is only ever going to be pretty niche, but there's a ton of people still playing PR after all these years, and god knows it'd be nice to be on something sort of modern, and not utterly bogged down by the ArmA engine and systems.

That is a good answer , i'll have to check out project reality.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

soy posted:

Do you mean how far away you can resolve other players and shoot at them? From watching game-play videos, I'd say it's pretty loving long distance.

I'm fairly sure he was talking about having to play with >=200 ping which can vary from "getting killed from a fair way around the corner" to "having to account for your ping, shooting at an empty doorway and hoping someone runs into your bullets" nonsense

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnutz posted:

I'm fairly sure he was talking about having to play with >=200 ping which can vary from "getting killed from a fair way around the corner" to "having to account for your ping, shooting at an empty doorway and hoping someone runs into your bullets" nonsense

Games that compensate for people with 200+ ping usually have terrible net code (see source, and battlefield 3+ engines)

I would much rather be limited to sub 100ms servers than allow hosed up warping hit box bullshit (source) and being killed behind cover by loving 500ms idiots on tin can modems (bf3+).

My hopes are not terribly high for squad due to the engine but given the maturity of the engine it should at least be a tolerable compromise.

Also the server config will allow for some tweaking I'm sure and if this is anything like every other tactical shooter I will probably only play on a hand full of whitelist servers with good settings, admins, stat tracking, and community once the game is out and established.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Why would you play this.

Because it's ARMA that isn't convoluted and clunky as poo poo.

I'm really disappointed, I thought the $30 tier would get us in the September alpha, but either I was confused or they changed it to mean December.

Whatever, I'll keep my money until December and pay the five dollars extra to get it through Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Because it's ARMA that isn't convoluted and clunky as poo poo.

This is basically how they got my money last night. That and their goal for supply logistics and stuff mattering to some extent. Slightly worried about how air power will end up, especially on 1-2km maps, but that's a ways away.

Regarding the netcode, I hope it's good obviously, but I hope it's not TOO restrictive. I could see problems cropping up with expecting super low latency from 100 people connecting to the same server simultaneously and getting in a gunfight. It's gotta be at least a little resilient. I also hope if they use actual hard coded latency limiters to allow access to the server, they don't do ping monitoring the way Battlefield does. However battlefield does it is blocked by my ghetto rear end backwoods ISP, and thus shows up as having no ping at all despite it generally being in the 40-80ms range for anything on the east side of the US.